Home
Madden NFL 13 News Post

First I want to lay out some basic principles of blitzing by Leo Hand and John Rice that I think can be applicable to video games. I chose Hand and Rice because they are explicit in their descriptions. What they say explicitly are implied by others such as Ted Amorisi, Mike McDaniels, Bill Arnsparger. These names are important as they have coached and continue to coach defensive football. Hand has written several books on 101 Stunts for a host of defenses (3-4; 46 Bear; Weak Eagle; Fire Zone ect). Rice also has written several texts on Nickel and Dime defenses (Coaching Nickel and Dime Defenses; Defending the Spread Offense). Second, I want to highlight what I see as problems in Madden/NCAA with respect to blitzing and the use of Show Blitz in relationship to the principles that Hand and Rice outline and what is implied by the other coaches mentioned above. Finally, I want to talk possible solutions. Coffee please!!!

First I want to begin by showcasing some real life blitzes. This will provide a frame of reference for us. Then I look to look at what Leo Hand and John Rice outline in their respective books on Stunts and Nickel and Dime defenses as principles of blitzing and rushing the passer.

Leo Hand on Blitzing Principles

Leo Hand highlights twenty principles for blitzing, all of which I will not elaborate on here. They cannot program the mental side, such as film study on a blocker to discover what techniques he likes to use. There are some things that I think they can program such as the following, all of which are showcased in the above video:

1) Blitzers should be moving, attacking and penetrating the line of scrimmage on the snap of the football. The only exceptions are delayed blitzes. Going back to every slice of footage in the video, you will notice that there was movement prior to and on the snap.

2) Feet must always be moving even when engaged with blockers. This is why I like that animation by the DE's in the NCAA video. It actually looks good. Never stop your feet.

3) Pass Rush moves should be predetermined and a secondary move should also be a part of the plan in the event the rushers primary move is a "failure." This is important right here. In Madden/NCAA there are no secondary moves because once the rusher "loses" that's the end of the interaction. I think the short branching animations may be a problem in this regard. Maybe they would need to branch more win/lose interactions together for the secondary move.

4) If it is a run the blitzer still has to read keys and pressure the blocks. He cannot just run to the B gap just because the blitz is designed there when the run is going the other way. He might start by charging the B gap, but if it is run he has to be able to change course and trail the football.

John Rice on Pass Rushers primarily defensive ends and edge rushers

1) Explode on the snap
2) Maintain a good forward lean. Big problem in most football games as they tend to stand straight up and run after the snap. This forward lean should be maintained until there is contact with a blocker.
3) What technique will be used? Slap and rip? Slap the blockers hands down and then rip underneath. Butt and Bull? Bow the neck/head while simultaneously grabbing the blockers jersey and driving him back into the QB.
4) OL need to be graded as quick set up guys or give ground guys. The former are more susceptible to finesse moves while the latter or more susceptible to power moves.

Ok now that a frame of reference has been established let's look at NCAA 13 and identify some issues with respect to blitzing and the use of Show Blitz.

Let's take a basic zone blitz like Nickel 33, 3 Overload Fire.

1) Nobody is attacking the line prior to the snap. It's blitz from this spot.
2) There is no noticeable explosion on the snap and no body lean until contact by the defenders.
3) Barring that one animation feet do not move enough.

What I did not show in the video was the use of Show Blitz. All it did was move guys in worse position, especially the MLB. As I ask at the end, why are we having to set up blitzes for them to be effective? Blitzing is about timing and attacking the line at the snap. Why is that backside Offensive Tackle still running to the other side to pick up a blitzer? I will correct myself, overloads CAN work, you just have to move a lot of guys around. Kinda mehhh IMO.

Ultimately, blitzing is missing its primary elements, timing and attacking prior to the snap. Because there is not much movement pre-snap, the rushers casually move out of their stance with no urgency. Defenders are not running with a lean. Just about everything from Hand and Rice is absent here.

Possible solutions:

1) Blitzes need to have built in pre-snap movement that is concerned with attacking and not just lining up in a different spot.

2) Pre-snap movement by all rushers can be placed in the users hand by changing how Show Blitz works. Show blitz would only cause the players that are blitzing to begin to move. So when look at a blitz like 3 Overload Fire I could shift the linebackers to the right and then later show blitz and the only players that should move are the ROLB, MLB and the NB. The NB has to creep off the slot and attack the edge.

In the end, I don't think the user should be setting up blitzes in order for them to be effective. Yeah, it goes against the grain of how competitive guys have been playing Madden for a very long time. I just don't think it is something the user should be doing. At best the user should be responsible for timing and causing the blitzing defenders to move in unison.

What sayeth thee?

Game: Madden NFL 13Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii U / Xbox 360Votes for game: 77 - View All
Madden NFL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 bukktown @ 06/22/12 09:48 PM
Dice this game is designed for the 8 year old sim gamer, we should be lucky to get a show blitz left-center-right.

# 22 PSUEagle @ 06/23/12 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shttymcgee
That second blitz isn't something you're going to see too much of. I'm not saying it couldn't ever be run, it's sound in the sense that it is 3 under 3 deep, but it is asking way too much out of the LILB. How is he supposed to get to flats on the other side of the formation? If it's 2x2, it's an easy completion.

Just to play devil's advocate with the first blitz, when the offense sees the LILB creeping outside (using your manual show blitz idea), they should zone that off and pick up all the rushers. This is how this stuff gets picked up on saturdays and sundays. Little tip-offs like that, especially DL tightening their techniques, is what leads to fire-zones being blocked. In reality, most fire-zones get blocked. It is more common that there is no free rusher than when there is one.
I agree with this: that's a blitz that really can only be run against 3X1. And even then, you would need to have the backside corner locked up in man coverage. The backer playing Seam/Curl/Flat (SCIF) would then relate to the first crosser or to the back if he releases weak. But since the offense is usually going to slide weak in turn protection (half-slide), the back will probably go to the other side (since the back and center almost never go to the same side in Pass Pro unless the QB makes a TOM [Tailback On Mike] call).

It also illustrates my earlier points about how blitzes need to be adaptable based on offensive formations: certain stock pressures can't be run against certain formations and still be "sound." Different guys will pressure based on the offensive set. For example, against 2X2 with two detached slot receivers, a 3-4 team playing Quarters really can't pressure an OLB in the Base defense because they need them both to walk out and at least apex (split the difference) between the receivers and offensive tackles to their respective sides. If the formation were 2X2 with a TE in the box, though, you can pressure with the SOLB.

Little details like the above is the difference between playing successful team defense: if you're unsound in alignment you're beaten from the start.

Back on topic: I would set up the show blitz mechanic so that guys would start milling around like the Steelers do in their "Chaos" package. Once you hit the button, you're stuck with it: you can't change back unless you audible the entire defense (to prevent the shake blitz).

I also want an option to pick what kind of pre-snap shell I want on defense: I don't necessarily always want to start my alignment in 2 High every snap and roll late. However, either way I want my backers to pre-align where they need to be: i.e, If I'm in an Under front and I have my safety rolling weak the WILL and MIKE better ****ing BOSS (Bump Out Strong).

Good post.

# 23 shttymcgee @ 06/23/12 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUEagle
I agree with this: that's a blitz that really can only be run against 3X1. And even then, you would need to have the backside corner locked up in man coverage. The backer playing Seam/Curl/Flat (SCIF) would then relate to the first crosser or to the back if he releases weak. But since the offense is usually going to slide weak in turn protection (half-slide), the back will probably go to the other side (since the back and center almost never go to the same side in Pass Pro unless the QB makes a TOM [Tailback On Mike] call).

It also illustrates my earlier points about how blitzes need to be adaptable based on offensive formations: certain stock pressures can't be run against certain formations and still be "sound." Different guys will pressure based on the offensive set. For example, against 2X2 with two detached slot receivers, a 3-4 team playing Quarters really can't pressure an OLB in the Base defense because they need them both to walk out and at least apex (split the difference) between the receivers and offensive tackles to their respective sides. If the formation were 2X2 with a TE in the box, though, you can pressure with the SOLB.

Little details like the above is the difference between playing successful team defense: if you're unsound in alignment you're beaten from the start.

Back on topic: I would set up the show blitz mechanic so that guys would start milling around like the Steelers do in their "Chaos" package. Once you hit the button, you're stuck with it: you can't change back unless you audible the entire defense (to prevent the shake blitz).

I also want an option to pick what kind of pre-snap shell I want on defense: I don't necessarily always want to start my alignment in 2 High every snap and roll late. However, either way I want my backers to pre-align where they need to be: i.e, If I'm in an Under front and I have my safety rolling weak the WILL and MIKE better ****ing BOSS (Bump Out Strong).

Good post.
I know that "trips" is a gameplan category if you use the gameplan feature, but how in the world do you know it's trips before the offense lines up? Would be a pretty good 3x1 audible though.

The "tom" adjustment you described is exacty the way overloaded blitzes should be picked up in the game, not by sliding the tackle across the formation.

Just to show the complex and individul nature of how football strategy differs from staff to staff, here's how I'd adjust to 2x2 in quarters: One guy walks out (obviously the one not that's not involved in the pressure). All the way out, not apexed (outside leverage is our base, so it's the same technique in quarters, 3, robber, or fire-zone) because it lets us not adjust our run fits for the safeties. On the other side (the one with out the walked out guy) we make an adjustment and pattern read with the corner on #2 (so he'll play the flats if #2 is quick to the flats) and the backer can still play the flats (he'll get there slower because of his tighter alignment, which I want anyway with that adjustment). Of course, in college the hashmarks are a lot wider and it's easier to do this into the boundary than it would be when the ball is basically always in the middle of the field, like it is in the pros.

Do i think all of this minutae must be represented in Madden? Of course not. That's why I truly believe that football has got to be the hardest game to simulate, there's just so many adjustments that need to be made on an almost every-play basis added to the fact that the general fan has no idea that these adjustments are constantly being made.

# 24 PSUEagle @ 06/23/12 05:26 PM
Quote:
I know that "trips" is a gameplan category if you use the gameplan feature, but how in the world do you know it's trips before the offense lines up? Would be a pretty good 3x1 audible though.

The "tom" adjustment you described is exacty the way overloaded blitzes should be picked up in the game, not by sliding the tackle across the formation.

Just to show the complex and individul nature of how football strategy differs from staff to staff, here's how I'd adjust to 2x2 in quarters: One guy walks out (obviously the one not that's not involved in the pressure). All the way out, not apexed (outside leverage is our base, so it's the same technique in quarters, 3, robber, or fire-zone) because it lets us not adjust our run fits for the safeties. On the other side (the one with out the walked out guy) we make an adjustment and pattern read with the corner on #2 (so he'll play the flats if #2 is quick to the flats) and the backer can still play the flats (he'll get there slower because of his tighter alignment, which I want anyway with that adjustment). Of course, in college the hashmarks are a lot wider and it's easier to do this into the boundary than it would be when the ball is basically always in the middle of the field, like it is in the pros.

Do i think all of this minutae must be represented in Madden? Of course not. That's why I truly believe that football has got to be the hardest game to simulate, there's just so many adjustments that need to be made on an almost every-play basis added to the fact that the general fan has no idea that these adjustments are constantly being made.
I've never used the gameplan feature, so I'm not very familiar with how it works. I just remember being disappointed with how shallow it is: on offense I'd prefer to have an entire menu of plays (could be between 5-30) appear for every situation I'm in. That would mimic a coordinator looking at his sheet based on D&D as opposed to the deal we have now where the CPU picks a play for you. But that's neither here nor there...

The blitz we're discussing is one that would probably be a check against a specific offensive formation. The best example I can think of is a team that lines up in 3X1 out of the shotgun and aligns the back weak. In that case, it's probably BOB protection (since if you slide strong you only have the single side WR to throw "Hot" to) and the defense feels like they can get a 2 for 1 on the back, especially if it's a team that likes to throw to the boundary (Curl/Flat, Out/Swing, etc.) against 1 High. Eliminate the flat by making the back block, have the corner aggressively play #1 weak, and have the ILB buzz.

Having said that, it could be something where one of the playbook guys saw it and just drew it up, with no regard to how adaptable it actually is. I suspect that's how most plays are implemented, sadly.

You couldn't predict Trips vs. Doubles out of the huddle (although personnel groupings will give you clues against most teams as far as what to eliminate in terms of potential formations), but I'm more talking about a general issue Madden/NCAA has: pressures need multiple checks based on offensive alignment. For example, I can't really run a double slot CB blitz out of Dime if the offense is in 3X1: I need the Dime and Nickel to the strength. So instead, would be some kind of mechanic in place where I can have the FS roll down and come off the edge weak in lieu of the dime back. That kind of thing.

The DC for the team I work for does what you describe out of Quarters (OLB's outside leverage on #2) out of an Odd front. Run fits stay the same (the safeties are taught to fit off the backers i.e. "make em' right") and you also make it much harder to throw bubble/quicks to slot receivers. It does make it hard to cover something like Double Slants to the field though: the safety will never make the play in time when #2 comes inside quickly.

We do make an adjustment against 2X2 with two detached (think formations like Gun Spread) where we have the backers apex and bring an ILB in the pressure instead. The CB's now have to be more aggressive on #1 running a quick game route (speed cut, hitch, etc.) because they don't have a backer who can help them as quickly. We use it when the receivers are so far out that the only thing that can really threaten us is an in breaking route. That, and an offense that wants to displace their receivers to get the OLB's out of run support.

"Overloads" don't really bother me as a coach if I can detect the patterns that the defense shows when they do that. I'm a firm believer that QB's should understand protection schemes along with fronts. The former is invaluable in figuring out whether you're "Hot," while the latter will often tell you coverages (i.e. it ain't Tampa 2 when the D is in an Under front, expect the "NCAA Blitz" when the the nose is in a "Shade" vs. when he's in a "G," etc.). If I can figure out what you're doing, I can slide to the pressure and waive my two middle fingers at the DC on the other sideline.

Bottom line, there's tons of minutia that your average (or even knowledgeable) fan has no clue about, as you alluded to above. There are multiple ways to play defense soundly, but at the end of the day the guys making the game need to have a much more thorough knowledge of the ways these things all tie together than they currently do.

# 25 raguel @ 06/23/12 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUEagle
You couldn't predict Trips vs. Doubles out of the huddle (although personnel groupings will give you clues against most teams as far as what to eliminate in terms of potential formations), but I'm more talking about a general issue Madden/NCAA has: pressures need multiple checks based on offensive alignment. For example, I can't really run a double slot CB blitz out of Dime if the offense is in 3X1: I need the Dime and Nickel to the strength. So instead, would be some kind of mechanic in place where I can have the FS roll down and come off the edge weak in lieu of the dime back. That kind of thing.
I like this, but it always throws me off when a defensive player does something different than what the play art shows; for example in the 3-4 ILB spy (doesn't matter which play as long as one of the ILBs spy) sometimes the two ILBS will switch assignments and I have no idea why. If I'm controlling one of them, it sometimes causes a big play against me.

# 26 shttymcgee @ 06/23/12 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by raguel
I like this, but it always throws me off when a defensive player does something different than what the play art shows; for example in the 3-4 ILB spy (doesn't matter which play as long as one of the ILBs spy) sometimes the two ILBS will switch assignments and I have no idea why. If I'm controlling one of them, it sometimes causes a big play against me.
And that's the balancing act. Which is more important, defensive soundness or ease of play? I would rather see sound defense, but I already know what sort adjustments should be made. BTW, looking at your play art once the players line up should tell you what everyone's assignment should be.

# 27 raguel @ 06/23/12 08:01 PM
Quote:
And that's the balancing act. Which is more important, defensive soundness or ease of play? I would rather see sound defense, but I already know what sort adjustments should be made. BTW, looking at your play art once the players line up should tell you what everyone's assignment should be.
Well, the play art should but I've never notice it switch pre-snap in those situations.

# 28 atc43 @ 08/24/12 01:33 PM
Sorry for bumping such an old thread but wouldnt a simple fix for Timed blitzes by the AI be adding a simple preplay control? Not one like we have now where we have to jump through 20 different hoops but a simple one say like flicking the RS down to trigger the AIs creep to the line animation for Timed Blitzes or Show Blitzes.

And for Sugar plays that already start out showing a blitz flick the RS up to back the showing defenders out into normal alignment?

When the AI is on defense i believe any pre play movements should be determined by the AIs play call. And with tiered playcalling implemented we would see the same two looks but with different movements(ie timed sugar blitz one play, and a sugar blitz bluff+creep back the next)

# 29 bkrich83 @ 08/24/12 01:38 PM
LBZ, as usual outstanding breakdown and explanation!!

# 30 Trick13 @ 05/04/13 02:15 AM
This is a really old thread, but I am wondering if any of the GCers have had discussions with the devs about making some changes in this area.

I was going to post a new thread on this, but was saved by the "search feature".

I wish that Madden would adapt a little more complex version of something that HC09 had - in that game you could "save" adjustments so that every time you called a play the pre snap tweaks you made would be already in there. I think there were a couple of options; "every time this play is called", "for the rest of this game" and something else - forgive me I haven't played that game in years..

I would love to see Madden have options, in practice mode (especially in CCM or CCF) where you could "orchestrate" the pre-snap movements and "save" them in a more detailed version of what HC09 had.

There is a 2-4-5 Cover 1 play, where there is a spy - I like to blitz the spy and move him to just inside the outside rusher on that side - would be cool if I could "walk him down" inside like I am going to attack the A-gap, then move him outside and "save" that so the CPU would then do that every time I call that play.

And at this point I would take anything that separates bringing the SS into the box and "show blitz" because they should be 2 different things - at a minimum.

# 31 speedy9386 @ 05/04/13 02:27 AM
Really this conversation needs to be continued

# 32 Trick13 @ 05/04/13 01:23 PM
I am wondering if EA could put in "color coded" defensive assignments on the DL that give a visual cue as to 1-gap or 2-gap assignments. Say dark red for 1-gap, then light orange or yellow for 2-gap.

I am sure that "nanos" are the reason why, but I hate that when I shift my DL left or right - they are still headed to the same gap, or technique that the original play called for - If I wanted them to go to those spots I would not waste my time shifting them over!!!!!!!!

Perhaps with Clint O. in house they could recruit some very "talented" "nano creators" to come in and show him how they attack the blocking logic so that Clint can take that info and devise a way to "counter" the nanos that would be as "realistic as possible" and thus free up some defensive techniques that are missing (my guess because they allow for too many nanos)...

# 33 Trick13 @ 05/10/13 11:45 PM
And it would be nice to see an expansion of "fake" snap counts, center/qb awr impacting protection calls - potentially "automated" on lower difficulty levels, High awareness QBs and Cs "pointing out" blitzers - adding into the chess match, deeper OL "adjustments" where the user can specify a double team on specific defender or adjust to a particular overused blitz setup and so on

# 34 raiderphantom @ 05/11/13 05:34 AM
To the OP, regarding foot movement and the forward lean, that's just cosmetic work. It's important, but it should be put on the back burner. Fixing OL/DL interaction is more important than anything regarding blitzing/line play. But I do like the point of getting players closer to the line, especially in long yardage situations. Great stuff by the way. This is the kind of knowledge and thinking that is missing from sports games.

# 35 KBLover @ 05/11/13 07:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule

What sayeth thee?
Yes, please.

# 36 KBLover @ 05/11/13 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderphantom
To the OP, regarding foot movement and the forward lean, that's just cosmetic work. It's important, but it should be put on the back burner. Fixing OL/DL interaction is more important than anything regarding blitzing/line play. But I do like the point of getting players closer to the line, especially in long yardage situations. Great stuff by the way. This is the kind of knowledge and thinking that is missing from sports games.
OL/DL interaction includes blitzing and line play considering one job of the OL is the stop penetration and open offensive gaps and DL is trying to do the opposite, so both fight against each other - interaction.

Blitzing and blitz pick up is helped/hurt by this. If the DL in a 3-4 can occupy blockers - who's going to pick up the blitz? Yet, that's an element of OL/DL interaction.

They are not separate things. "OL/DL interaction" includes all of these principles.

And lean/footwork should NOT be just cosmetic. The fact they are is a big part of the problem. Lean should replicate leverage - gaining it, losing it, fighting for it, fighting to keep it. Footwork should be about establishing/keeping a base, powering through a block, driving the defender/blocker, movement on and after the snap, etc.

All of these things should work into the "moves" and their effectiveness. Ratings should emulate the abilities of the players to gain/keep/regain balance, leverage and positioning. There shouldn't be anything cosmetic.

# 37 MaxxBoogieWS @ 05/11/13 09:57 PM
The closest I ever got to the pre-snap movement is with the 1-5-5 def formation. Certain blitzes have different ways the LB's and DL move without manually moving or shifting over but the problem with that is the 1-5-5 def is really bad against the run. I couldn't seem to use it right at all trying to play sim style.

Just to be clear, I'm not shake blitzing lol. Some blitzes really require everyone to move in the box. I like what you all are saying with the o-line and d-line enhancement, but the 1-5-5 is the closest to you guy's pre-snap movement suggestion in M13. Try it out for yourselves.

# 38 Trick13 @ 05/12/13 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxBoogieWS

Just to be clear, I'm not shake blitzing lol. ...

I am hoping that we get to a point where "shake blitz" is a non issue - and for that matter we get back to a place where we can manually move players around and they will stay where we put them...

If EA can, by early reports from community day events, get OL players to "attack the proper threat" in the run game, then they should be able to do the same for the passing game - maybe not for M25, but it should be a focus next year if it has not been addressed for M25...

HC09 had a feature where you could "save" setups for plays, it was limited to "hot routes" or "defensive adjustments". I would love to see this expanded to include player movement...

...like when CBs show off coverage - then as the QB goes into his snap count the CBs creep up into press position, or LBs "threatening" gaps (showing blitz) then pack peddling out, or a blitzer showing outside pressure then shifting in to the a gap

Also I would love to see the "snap/fake snap" ball controls expanded - tapping the button RB for fake snap X/A for actual snap would be a quick "hut/go" style, holding it down would be more like "red 47, red 47, set, down, hut hut" - that way you have control over the snap sequence to off-set the above suggested "pre-snap player movement", quick snap to try to catch the defense out of position - longer snap counts or fake snaps to "preview" the defense and bring into play the audible/counter audible chess game aspect...

# 39 KANE699 @ 05/14/13 12:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick13
I am wondering if EA could put in "color coded" defensive assignments on the DL that give a visual cue as to 1-gap or 2-gap assignments. Say dark red for 1-gap, then light orange or yellow for 2-gap.

I am sure that "nanos" are the reason why, but I hate that when I shift my DL left or right - they are still headed to the same gap, or technique that the original play called for - If I wanted them to go to those spots I would not waste my time shifting them over!!!!!!!!

Perhaps with Clint O. in house they could recruit some very "talented" "nano creators" to come in and show him how they attack the blocking logic so that Clint can take that info and devise a way to "counter" the nanos that would be as "realistic as possible" and thus free up some defensive techniques that are missing (my guess because they allow for too many nanos)...
They have some people down there that know how to abuse the game, the problem lies with wether or not they actually want to fix it.

# 40 Trick13 @ 05/14/13 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KANE699
They have some people down there that know how to abuse the game, the problem lies with wether or not they actually want to fix it.
Dude you are killing me... I am grateful that you are honest and letting me behind the the curtain, but it is disheartening to hear some of what you know...

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.