Home
NCAA Football 13 News Post

The previous NCAA Football game randomly selected a topic of conversation each time you phoned a recruit. In NCAA Football 13, coaches can now bring up any topic they want to when phoning prospects.

Coaches can spend scouting points before a phone call to discover a recruit's interests, or they can simply ask the recruit directly what he wants to talk about during a phone call. Prospects will only mention topics they have an average or better interest in.

However, there is danger to letting recruits discuss topics of their choosing, as if the prospect wants to talk about an area that's a weakness for your school, the phone call will go poorly and it may hurt your chances to sign the player.

To ensure this new feature isn't exploited, recruits will never bring up the same topic more than once during a single phone call.

NCAA Football fans have long been voicing their displeasure in the randomness of recruiting calls, and finally, EA Tiburon has granted the fans' request.

Are you glad the randomness of recruiting phone calls is gone?

Game: NCAA Football 13Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 60 - View All
NCAA Football 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 casper139 @ 06/22/12 05:24 PM
I really hope everything works. Looks great, as long as the features really work. I hate the play/wait for patch time of year followed by the fixed/not everything fixed wait till next year time of year. Not being a downer, I just want it to work as advertised so I can play it...

# 22 Ziza9Noles94 @ 06/22/12 05:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skull
or they could've just gotten it right the first time
They likely felt they did get it right. People spoke up and said they didn't like it for various reasons. They listened, retooled things and are giving us a revamped system this year.

# 23 jello1717 @ 06/22/12 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodjer
This last part is key. There should be some difference between letting a recruit bring up something and forcing him to talk about it. For example, maybe you get more points for letting him bring up a topic rather than just picking it yourself. Sort of like talking with the guy to show that you're interested in him rather than just giving him a sales pitch.
You do. I saw this in one of the recruiting vids (most likely one of the E3 Maryland dynasty vids) where you got bonus points for letting the recruit choose the topic.

EDIT:
Look at the recruitment of QB Shaw at the 4:06 mark in the following vid. He got only +11 for the call (because it was an above average C- call), +2 for a pipeline, and a pretty hefty +25 for a "prospect's choice bonus." I don't know if the choice bonus is a % of the total (unlikely given this example since over half of the total came from the bonus) or if it's always just a flat +25, but even +25 is pretty big (by NCAA '12 standards where +125 was the most you could get outside of a X2 with a perfect +100 plus the +25 pipeline bonus).

# 24 jfsolo @ 06/22/12 05:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodjer
Maybe I've missed it somewhere but have they actually confirmed that there is a bonus for letting the recruit pick the topic? If you're referring to my post, I only mentioned that it would be helpful to have something like that.

Completely agree here.
Quote:
Alternatively, the Coach can also take a chance and see what the prospect wants to discuss. However, as opposed to years past where the call was completely random, now the prospect will only select topics that are at an Average or above interest level. Since you are letting the prospect choose, you will receive a slight bonus, but be careful, the prospect will select any topic they are interested in regardless of the school’s grade.
This is taken directly from the EA Sports Dynasty blog.

# 25 BA2929 @ 06/22/12 06:12 PM
Man, I'd go after that 5-star FB like he was the last recruit on earth. I don't even care if it's "not realistic". I want that beast on my team. He can probably destroy at TE as well.

Now..... if they can just get the pancake stats fixed......

# 26 Army801st @ 06/22/12 06:18 PM
Jello1717!!! Wow that is the first time i actually saw footage of the conversations!! I've studied the video and D***!! I love this game even more now, smoother transitions from picking the topic to showing you exact results if you compare your school to another school!! Finally, I really think that every year they dig into dynasty and if it works keep it, if it doesn't work tweek it a little and run with it. They are going in the right direction here, and maybe scount/recruiting will actually be fun season after season after season!! Dynasty is something that has to keep players wanting to keep coming back after they win 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 national titles!!

# 27 Pezell04x @ 06/22/12 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skull
you don't get credit for fixing something you screwed up in the first place
Do you ever have anything positive to say about this game? I've noticed that you're overly critical.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

# 28 jfsolo @ 06/22/12 08:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezell04x
Do you ever have anything positive to say about this game? I've noticed that you're overly critical.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
You gotta ignore these dudes, if they're not happy then they're going to try and urinate on everyone else's parade as well.

# 29 PowerofRed25 @ 06/22/12 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BA2929
Man, I'd go after that 5-star FB like he was the last recruit on earth. I don't even care if it's "not realistic". I want that beast on my team. He can probably destroy at TE as well.

Last year I had recruited a fullback at Clemson who came in in the mid-80s with 90 speed as a true freshman. He was the #1 overall FB, I believe 3*. He was without a doubt the single best recruit I've ever had. He was a monster. I played him at HB/FB/TE.

During his 4 year career, I installed 3 different offensive schemes based on the personnel around him and just made sure he got featured. When I had 4 90+ WR's, I ran air raid and he served as my power HB in pistol as well as a blocking back. When I had a few good backs and a quick QB, I ran spread option with him as the dive back.

His final year as a Senior he was 92 overall, 93 speed and I ran Tom Osborne's exact offense from Nebraska and utilized him as the dive back in triple option, the single back in Ace and just an all around power back. Ended up winning the Heisman Trophy.

Absolutely the single best player I have ever recruited. I look forward to NCAA 13 and being able to find another one just like him and adapt the offense to him.

# 30 DorianDonP @ 06/22/12 09:26 PM
I honestly feel indifferent to the phone call pitch. Maybe I'll feel different about it once I actually get to play it, but I feel recruiting needs an overhaul. I'd like for recruiting to be closer to real life, where in June certain teams have 15+ prospects already committed.

I think recruiting will be more enjoyable than 12, and that's def a positive, I just don't think recruiting still is as enjoyable as it should be. Bringing back something that existed before just doesn't give me 'excitement'.

A refocused recruiting system would make me excited.

# 31 Reed1417 @ 06/22/12 11:53 PM
i was not a fan of the roullette style phone calls. so i'm glad to see a return to the old style! i cant wait for this game!

# 32 jeremym480 @ 06/23/12 12:38 AM
I kind of liked the randomness and challenge of the roulette style calls. At least with those everyone just couldn't spam their best topics; which made it much more difficult. In my OD with smaller schools over half the league had draft classes that was in the lower half of the NCAA. Hopefully, they've at least made it more difficult than how it used to be pre-roulette wheel.

# 33 Custon 89 @ 06/23/12 04:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BA2929

With the triple option, there's my first option.

# 34 BigSteveTN09 @ 06/23/12 02:53 PM
Do you think that they've put 5* FBs in to help teams that run the wishbone or similar offenses?

# 35 TDenverFan @ 06/23/12 09:23 PM
In that video of recruiting posted, I noticed they added coach integrity. That's nice! Failing promises has a drawback now.

Also, will #1 be posted?

# 36 Apollo1906 @ 06/24/12 04:22 PM
We shall see how things go!

# 37 jello1717 @ 06/24/12 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDenverFan
In that video of recruiting posted, I noticed they added coach integrity. That's nice! Failing promises has a drawback now.

Also, will #1 be posted?
That's been in the game for at least 2 years. It was used to unlock new promises, but in '13, all promises are available from the beginning.

# 38 Colt45 @ 06/24/12 07:40 PM
Failing promises was tied to Coach Prestige as well.

# 39 tical2399 @ 06/25/12 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziza9Noles94
They likely felt they did get it right. People spoke up and said they didn't like it for various reasons. They listened, retooled things and are giving us a revamped system this year.
I'm gonna take it a bit (or alot) further than most and say EA should stop doing what they thought would be a good idea because they are obviously bad at it. You say they changed it to begin with because they though it would be a good idea.

That's the problem we're letting non hardcore football fans (if they're fans at all) decide what would be good in a football game. If you ask me the dev team should have zero say so in the features of the game.

They should only be there for the technical stuff like coding, art, sound etc. ALL gameplay features should come directly from posters. Posters are usually the most passionate and follow the game on the field and off and in season and off season as such they would know what the game should and should not have.

So the dev cycle starts with a blank slate, head of EA sports goes to the hardcore community NOT the game changers or site runners (aka EA yes men) and ask what do you want in the game.

The community responds over a few weeks or a month or so. The head goes to the devs and says the fans want this and that (maybe 5-10 most requested for time constraints) and they are tasked with making it work technically.

Again this is only a problem because the devs either don't know much about football or are not passionate about it. When I say passionate they are not following recruiting and signing day and whose transferring, whose in position battles. There not digging up info on JC players and being excited about them coming to your school.

Hardcore fans do this kinda thing because they care. Football as a whole is important to them even though they may favor one team over another. If the devs don't have this level of passion they shouldn't coming up with ideas for the games. Let the hardcore fans pitch ideas and let the devs implement those ideas.

Look at it this way. I don't watch hockey, I find it boring I don't know anything about it other than there are 3 periods, goals are worth 1 point and you are allowed to fight. Knowing my lack of interest and understanding of the game, does anybody think it would be a good idea for me to work on NHL making suggestions to improve gameplay?

I hope the answer is no. So why do we put up with these guys with seemingly the same lack of passion and understanding making NCAA and Madden?

# 40 Army801st @ 06/25/12 10:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tical2399
I'm gonna take it a bit (or alot) further than most and say EA should stop doing what they thought would be a good idea because they are obviously bad at it. You say they changed it to begin with because they though it would be a good idea.

That's the problem we're letting non hardcore football fans (if they're fans at all) decide what would be good in a football game. If you ask me the dev team should have zero say so in the features of the game.

They should only be there for the technical stuff like coding, art, sound etc. ALL gameplay features should come directly from posters. Posters are usually the most passionate and follow the game on the field and off and in season and off season as such they would know what the game should and should not have.

So the dev cycle starts with a blank slate, head of EA sports goes to the hardcore community NOT the game changers or site runners (aka EA yes men) and ask what do you want in the game.

The community responds over a few weeks or a month or so. The head goes to the devs and says the fans want this and that (maybe 5-10 most requested for time constraints) and they are tasked with making it work technically.

Again this is only a problem because the devs either don't know much about football or are not passionate about it. When I say passionate they are not following recruiting and signing day and whose transferring, whose in position battles. There not digging up info on JC players and being excited about them coming to your school.

Hardcore fans do this kinda thing because they care. Football as a whole is important to them even though they may favor one team over another. If the devs don't have this level of passion they shouldn't coming up with ideas for the games. Let the hardcore fans pitch ideas and let the devs implement those ideas.

Look at it this way. I don't watch hockey, I find it boring I don't know anything about it other than there are 3 periods, goals are worth 1 point and you are allowed to fight. Knowing my lack of interest and understanding of the game, does anybody think it would be a good idea for me to work on NHL making suggestions to improve gameplay?

I hope the answer is no. So why do we put up with these guys with seemingly the same lack of passion and understanding making NCAA and Madden?
You do realize that alot of these guys actually used to play right or are you just here to cry about something clearly you have no interest in!!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.