Home
News Post

The 2012 NBA Draft is in the books and there were several surprises and a lot of 'oh that was supposed to happen anyways' moments to be had. National Media are sounding off on who won or lost the draft and we'd be remiss if we didn't open up a conversation here as well.

So let's have at it: which franchises 'won' last night in the draft, which ones lost, and which ones will see the most immediate impacts of 2012's rookie class?

Sound off!

Member Comments
# 21 KSOR24 @ 06/29/12 06:29 PM
I think the Warriors had a pretty good draft. My winners are New Orleans and Golden State. I'd say the Cavs were losers and at their own fault. They reach when drafting so much and end up surprising a lot of people. They took Tristan Thompson at #4 last year when they passed up on much better players. I'll throw in the Rockets for winners as well. Glad Lamb didn't end up with a garbage team.

# 22 bigbob @ 06/29/12 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by msuboy11
Ya, but he was voted national player of year(didn't win Naismith though)! He reminds me of a poor mans magic, but a little bigger. He does everything well.
Like redsrule mentioned, Magic was bigger. Two inches taller and twenty pounds heavier.

While I like Green, just because he won National Basketball Player of the Year doesn't mean he's going to be good in the pros.

# 23 Chrisksaint @ 06/29/12 06:48 PM
Good player, but yeah unlike Magic he doesn't have a true position in the NBA that he projects well in

# 24 poloelite @ 06/29/12 07:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSOR24
I think the Warriors had a pretty good draft. My winners are New Orleans and Golden State. I'd say the Cavs were losers and at their own fault. They reach when drafting so much and end up surprising a lot of people. They took Tristan Thompson at #4 last year when they passed up on much better players. I'll throw in the Rockets for winners as well. Glad Lamb didn't end up with a garbage team.
Who were the much better players the Cavs missed on by taking Thompson?? Some players look better because they go to better teams and aren't asked to do so much. Most people don't take that into consideration. MKG needs a true PG to flourish in the NBA and so does Thomas Robinson. It's the main reason Evans and Cousins haven't been able to play together and win games. Probably a big reason Derrick Favors hasn't emerged. Unless you're Bron, Wade, Melo, Durant etc a lot of times where you go, and who you're coached by, determines how good you can be.

# 25 KSOR24 @ 06/29/12 07:50 PM
Klay Thompson, MarShon Brooks, Kawhi Leonard, Markieff Morris, and Kenneth Faried are all better picks than Tristan Thompson. I'm not saying any of these guys deserved to go top 5, but Thompson didn't either. It was just a really weak draft. I didn't throw in the point guards who were better either (Kemba Walker, Branding Knight).

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

# 26 Rocky @ 06/29/12 07:55 PM
As a Bobcats fan, I would give us a C. Didn't lose it, but I think it will a while before I can say that we won it.

I admire Cho/Higgins for sticking at #2 and taking there guy in MKG. But boy is it a gamble. Kidd-Gilchrist has a long way to go before he even brings what Wallace brought to us. By the time the Bobcats were respectable ('07 to '10), GW developed pretty polished game (decent passing and ball handling and the ability to hit three's from the corners and top of the key) from where he was. But that took years and MKG reminds me of Wallace when he first got here....he even has that sloppy, hard barrel drive to the lane that GW had (which is tremendously effective).

Even then, Wallace had two players who were perfect compliments to his game in J-Rich (who provided great shooting and spacing) and Jackson (ballhandling and passing ability). Unless the FO sees Gordon as the answer for heavy minutes at SG, we can't provide any of that now. MKG actually clogs the lane for Henderson, who did have success driving off those elbow screens and getting to the line late in the season.

Don't get me wrong, I like MKG as a player and what he brings to the team, but I think he went to the wrong team to showcase his talents. It's hard for me to get over the fact that they passed on T-Rob who both makes us a better team from day one and fits in with our style and future plans.

# 27 Elgin2311 @ 06/29/12 08:20 PM
I like what CLE did drafting waiters, he reminds me of dwayne wade. If boston would have snatched up perry jones along with sullinger I think that would have been the best draft. The thunder lucked out with a player that would have been top 4 last year in the draft.

# 28 Melkman53 @ 06/29/12 08:29 PM
WInners:
Okc ( perry)
Warriors ( Barnes, ezeli, and draymond green)
blazers ( lilliard, Leonard )
Rockets ( lamb, white, and jones )
Hornets (Davis, rivers)
Kings got lucky with Robinson
Celtics (melo, sullinger, Joseph )

I feel the celtics really chose well with 2 big men and is starting their 'rebuilding' process.
Warriors had the best draft with Barnes, ezeli (great defensive player ) and green who some could of argued should have been a first rounder.

# 29 bigeastbumrush @ 06/29/12 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
As a Bobcats fan, I would give us a C. Didn't lose it, but I think it will a while before I can say that we won it.

I admire Cho/Higgins for sticking at #2 and taking there guy in MKG. But boy is it a gamble. Kidd-Gilchrist has a long way to go before he even brings what Wallace brought to us. By the time the Bobcats were respectable ('07 to '10), GW developed pretty polished game (decent passing and ball handling and the ability to hit three's from the corners and top of the key) from where he was. But that took years and MKG reminds me of Wallace when he first got here....he even has that sloppy, hard barrel drive to the lane that GW had (which is tremendously effective).

Even then, Wallace had two players who were perfect compliments to his game in J-Rich (who provided great shooting and spacing) and Jackson (ballhandling and passing ability). Unless the FO sees Gordon as the answer for heavy minutes at SG, we can't provide any of that now. MKG actually clogs the lane for Henderson, who did have success driving off those elbow screens and getting to the line late in the season.

Don't get me wrong, I like MKG as a player and what he brings to the team, but I think he went to the wrong team to showcase his talents. It's hard for me to get over the fact that they passed on T-Rob who both makes us a better team from day one and fits in with our style and future plans.
With the type of defense Charlotte is going to be playing...their offense will be better than you think.

They're going to be attacking and looking for easy, quick baskets.

I'm sure Kemba and Gordon will have green lights. MKG will just hit the basket and clean up.

When he gets it together...GW will be a distant memory.

I actually think MKG can be one of the best perimeter defenders in the league in a few years.

# 30 ChrisdaKing1 @ 06/29/12 09:01 PM
Okc. When you can get a top 10 to 15 prospect at 28 an NBA finals team that's a good pick up and the bobcats lost still no scoring options

# 31 BringTheHeat @ 06/29/12 11:06 PM
Celtics
Bobcats
Rockets

Losers:
Kings
Dallas (Should've kept Zeller, unless there's bigger plans.)

Miami, seriously, you NEED a BIG MAN. Should've taken Festus. Justin Hamilton should be alright though.

# 32 jhawk826 @ 06/29/12 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by b2th3m1th
Winners:
Hornets- Duh
Bobcats- Yes they're a winner because they actually made the right decision
Wizards- Got the SG they needed
Warriors- I'm not a huge Barnes fan but he was the best player avail, The big at the end of the first is ok, if he can play D and board they will be fine, and I love the Green pick

Losers:
Cavs- Waiters and Zeller, yuck. Waiters is ok but couldn't even start in college

Blazers- Drafted the wrong PG for the team and a big guy who is not that good.

Pacers- drafting a guy who wouldnt got drafted by anyone and drafted him in the first round
People need to stop saying this. Its very easy to see who doesn't watch college basketball. You're acting like they drafted William Buford. Give him a shot before you all judge. He understands his role as a player and will never play out of it. In his 40 minutes, he averaged more points, assists and steals than Bradley Beal did.

Winners:
Cleveland - Got an NBA ready center in Tyler Zeller and guard in Dion Waiters who both can contribute immediately on the offensive end.
New Orleans
Oklahoma City - There's no pressure on Perry Jones to succeed. Low risk, high reward.
Boston - Jared Sullinger is a great pick at 21 despite his health issues and can be a Big Baby type player. Fab Melo is a good defensive presence and the height they need. If KG doesn't return, these are steps in the right direction. They aren't franchise players by any means, but they can play their roles properly. The Kris Joseph pick is a head scratcher. He's a slasher that doesn't like contact and is too inconsistent when shooting.

Losers:
Houston - The Royce White and Terrence Jones picks make no sense considering they play the same position. Houston desperately needed height. They have no center on their roster.
Brooklyn - Biggest loser by far. Traded away their future for a non guarantee in Deron Williams.
Indiana - Wasted a first round pick on someone who isn't better than his brother and in no way was a first rounder.
Blazers - Meyers Leonard was the reach of the lottery. Potential gets GMs and coaches fired. The analysts kept talking about how Portland is going to run a lot with this lineup and I have to ask why didn't they go for Henson or Zeller both of whom ran a lot with that UNC offense. They are both bigs who are more ready the Leonard. Robert Swift 2.0?
Memphis - Tony Wroten can't shoot, has no off hand, reckless and is turnover prone. He had one of the worst performances offensively at the Draft Combine. What is his role?

The biggest non-NBA loser was Chris Broussard. I've never seen an analyst look so bad in gauging a team's needs as he did last night.

# 33 woogie98 @ 06/30/12 12:00 AM
My 76ers had a decent draft.. First Round pick Moe Harkless is a great young SF.. And Arnette Moultrie is a great young PF

# 34 Sports fanantic @ 06/30/12 01:03 AM
As a warriors fan, i didn't know who Draymond Green was until i saw some highligh. I am excited to see him play for the dubs.

# 35 stlpimpmonsta @ 06/30/12 01:19 AM
Winners: TBD

Losers: TBD

Unless u can see the future.....theres your nswer

# 36 RedSceptile @ 06/30/12 08:25 AM
Alright we have a Center in Marcus Camby and we'll probably get someone in free agency. It's not that big a deal y'all acting like this is the 90s where you'd have to go up against Olajuwon or Ewing or Shaw every other night etc.

We acquired a bunch of assets and I'm positive Daryl Morey is trying to package them for someone.

# 37 bigeastbumrush @ 06/30/12 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by woogie98
My 76ers had a decent draft.. First Round pick Moe Harkless is a great young SF.. And Arnette Moultrie is a great young PF

# 38 Yeah...THAT Guy @ 06/30/12 11:17 AM
All this "Waiters wasn't good enough to start in college" crap is just that; crap.

I think Waiters will settle into a sixth man role on a good team after starting at first for the Cavs. He's more Rodney Stuckey or James Harden than Dwyane Wade, and I think the Cavs reached by taking him at 4 personally. I think Barnes will be a better player in the pros.

However, Waiters received starters minutes. Technically, he wasn't even our sixth man. CJ Fair was. Waiters was generally our 2nd guy off the bench, and personally, I didn't like him because of his horrible inconsistency. But he did receive starter's minutes, so that "not good enough to start in college" crap should just go away.

# 39 KSOR24 @ 06/30/12 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by woogie98
Won't that mean they'll be looking to trade Iggy? I also read somewhere that he sold his house in Philly. I guess he must have been offended that they drafted a small forward whose play style is very similar to his own. He's also been rumored to be on the trading block for quite some time.

# 40 whoahello @ 06/30/12 01:38 PM
I think Portland has got to be extremely happy with both their selections in the first round. They drafted both positions that their team needed and possibly having a potential star. I really like Lillard. Just his maturity and the poise to prove to everyone that a guy from a weaker division can play.

Boston adding Sullinger, Oklahoma Perry Jones, Philly Arnett Moultrie. All pluses.

However, the Cavs lost the draft. I'm not a big fan of Dion Waiters. Without Kyrie, I think it'll be a disaster for Dion in Cleveland. Kyrie will definitely make him a better player.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.