Home
Madden NFL 13 News Post

According to Samit Sarkar (now working at Polygon), Madden NFL 13 on the PlayStation Vita is essentially Madden NFL 12.5, due to to limited resources and new hardware.

Quote:
  • ... the ability to tap on a receiver and draw hot routes with a finger, are smart and welcome additions.
  • ... only the brand-new commentary made it into Madden 13 on Vita
  • ... includes full Franchise and Superstar modes, and will receive weekly roster updates and Madden Moments Live content

Check out some of the new Madden NFL 13 Vita screenshots, right here and be sure to read the entire article, right here.

Game: Madden NFL 13Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii U / Xbox 360Votes for game: 77 - View All
Madden NFL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 TreyIM2 @ 06/29/12 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamitSarkar
In case it wasn't obvious, Polygon is the name of the website that I write for. (Our full site will launch later this year at Polygon.com, but for now, we're piggybacking on our sister site The Verge, which covers technology.)

HB Studios is the developer making the Vita version of Madden NFL 13. (They did the Wii, PS2, and PSP versions of Madden NFL 12, and this year, they're making NBA Baller Beats.)
What's funny is that I realized that before submitting my comment....but went with it anywayz. Ha. However I was going to quote myself as just clowning but I lost signal for a bit and forgot to come back here when I got it back. Apologies, dear sir.

# 22 UConcord11 @ 06/30/12 12:06 AM
Porting Madden 12 certainly took a long time...
I'm really getting tired of EA. All they care about is money. the put half efforts into their game and still bring in Millions.

I wonder who Fifa 13 will get treated on the vita. Looks like EA doesn't care being named the most hated company in America.

# 23 mrprice33 @ 06/30/12 12:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UConcord11
I'm really getting tired of EA. All they care about is money. the put half efforts into their game and still bring in Millions.

I wonder who Fifa 13 will get treated on the vita. Looks like EA doesn't care being named the most hated company in America.
At least there's a vita game coming out...

# 24 UConcord11 @ 06/30/12 12:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
At least there's a vita game coming out...
ya but the quality of thoes games are more important. Looks like most of the games on vita are "down played" to a certain degree using ____ excuse (using a older engine, no mp, certain modes excluded). Maybe my expectations are too high

# 25 mlp111 @ 06/30/12 12:28 AM
starting to regret getting a vita, it was a graduation gift, but man, this thing is noooooooo good with a jailbreak or homebrew, hope one comes out soon so i can play my ps3 games, and make this thing worth it

# 26 Skyboxer @ 06/30/12 03:28 AM
HSG, MLB The Show, UC, Unit 13 etc.. made the VITA worth it to me.
... and I purchased it.
I'd be super happy if it had been a gift.

# 27 dickey1331 @ 06/30/12 03:39 AM
I'll be getting this since I won't be getting Madden 13 on the PS3.

Do you really care where I sent this from?

# 28 gotchaMF @ 06/30/12 04:41 AM
I have The Show and FIFA, and I think they both look great. FIFA looks great at any angle. The Show has a few angles that the game looks horrible, but zoomed in the players look great.

These pictures of Madden are disappointing. Might as well buy it on my iPhone. I don't make video games, but I do know quality. At least give us the Madden Arcade character models with the M12 engine. That would be acceptable.

The article stated that EA may not willing to put the time and effort into the Vita at this time. Why make this game? Why not just delay the game? I have no clue why FIFA and Madden are so comepletely opposite.

# 29 DJ @ 06/30/12 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UConcord11

According to what I've heard, FIFA 13 on Vita will be identical to the console version.

# 30 huskerwr38 @ 06/30/12 12:38 PM
It's pretty disappointing that it is basically Madden 12.5 with updated commentary. I doubt we'll see the new passing features because the article said that the only thing from Madden 13 xbox/ps3 vesion that the Vita version will get is updated commentary. In the future years, I doubt they will implement the physics engine, connected careers, passing game because EA has never really updated the PSP version of Madden. It was LITERALLY a roster update every year.

I would have rather waited a year for them to implement physics, passing game, etc. upgrades for Vita than what we are getting now. Like the first Madden for Xbox 360 it was all about just getting the game out...who cares about quality, new features, etc..

# 31 SamitSarkar @ 06/30/12 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerwr38
I doubt we'll see the new passing features because the article said that the only thing from Madden 13 xbox/ps3 vesion that the Vita version will get is updated commentary.
The commentary is the only "major" Madden 13 improvement that the Vita version is getting. I'm not sure if it will have the "new" left-stick passing location stuff, but Baker told me that at least Madden 13's wide variety of passing trajectories will be there (so you won't throw a line drive or a lob every time).

# 32 mestevo @ 06/30/12 03:47 PM
Vita doesn't have pressure sensitive buttons, I'm not sure how well the new passing stuff can be implemented. They could do some of it based on long/short press, but not sure it could ever really match the console.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

# 33 mestevo @ 06/30/12 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrikan
The 360 doesn't have pressure sensitive buttons either.

Wait, are you guys telling me EA Tiburon is FINALLY going to start taking advantage of some of the features the PS3 has?

doubt it.
My point is it's another difference in the control scheme when going from PS3 to Vita that has to be taken into account.

...and then somehow you turn that into a bash EA post, wow.

# 34 mestevo @ 06/30/12 05:19 PM
Quote:
EA Tiburon doesn't use pressure sensitive controls on the PS3, for their Madden titles. So how is that "going from PS3 to Vita" When it never started on the PS3?

so...in this thread I go from defending EA, regarding Madden......to "bashing" EA regarding Madden?

you know its one thing to get warned for violating the TOS rules here regarding a post, but I also think some need to get warned for falsely accusing people of violating the TOS rules. Because all it does is start unnecessary thread derails.
3 sentences in a reply, only one of them was actually a response to my post, and the rest is taking a shot at EA... so yeah re-read your post again if you are really confused about how it could be construed as bashing.

Not a moderator so not debating the rest.

Pressure-sensitivity may not be a promoted feature of the PS3 versions, but I don't see why that wouldn't have to be factored into every button press when programming for user input. We're clearly both not in this industry and talking from how we assume things work, so who knows. It's just one of many changes that would have to go into the port and was just one example.

# 35 kehlis @ 06/30/12 05:31 PM
Asking a fair question is not bashing. Bashing is quickly becoming a completely overused word around here.

Back on topic.

# 36 mestevo @ 06/30/12 05:43 PM
Quote:
"Vita doesn't have pressure sensitive buttons, I'm not sure how well the new passing stuff can be implemented. "

this is what you posted right after Samit gave more info.

When you say you are not sure how well the new passing stuff can be implemented because of non pressure sensitive buttons....how "well" did you think they were going to be implemented on the 360 in the first place?

Look you are a poster who is usually knows his stuff. When you wrote that, I really believed for a sec that I might have missed some news and that the PS3's pressure sensitive buttons were finally going to be used for Next Gen Madden. So that sentence was genuine.

maybe I should not have shorted the "doubt it' part.

edit- just seen your post kehlis....moving on.
The doubt it is why I replied the way I did Sorry for making it more of an issue than it needed to be and thanks for posting kehlis.

Honestly, had no idea the 360 didn't have pressure sensitive buttons either. Small changes to control schemes can make or break changes as we've seen with UI updates like the way hot routes and audibles are called now. The lack of pressure sensitive buttons I've seen pointed out by others here and on other forums as a key difference is all (also just as big is the plungers aren't a button, and single set of bumpers).

Also, I don't have much of a problem with the screenshots, really more interested in how it moves/plays and framerate. I have 11 or 12 for the iPad and it's rough using only touch to control. Even if it were the same version as the iPad just the controls would be a massive upgrade to the game, obviously it will be more than that though. Hard to see this being like Dungeon Hunters, a $40 Vita game that can be had for a little as 99 cents for other platforms.

# 37 huskerwr38 @ 06/30/12 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
The doubt it is why I replied the way I did Sorry for making it more of an issue than it needed to be and thanks for posting kehlis.

Honestly, had no idea the 360 didn't have pressure sensitive buttons either. Small changes to control schemes can make or break changes as we've seen with UI updates like the way hot routes and audibles are called now. The lack of pressure sensitive buttons I've seen pointed out by others here and on other forums as a key difference is all (also just as big is the plungers aren't a button, and single set of bumpers).

Also, I don't have much of a problem with the screenshots, really more interested in how it moves/plays and framerate. I have 11 or 12 for the iPad and it's rough using only touch to control. Even if it were the same version as the iPad just the controls would be a massive upgrade to the game, obviously it will be more than that though. Hard to see this being like Dungeon Hunters, a $40 Vita game that can be had for a little as 99 cents for other platforms.
Yea that too is a major draw back to the hand held gaming devices like the Vita. The iphone has majorly spoiled people (at least me) on good enjoyable games costing only .99 cents or Madden which could be had for 4.99. Now we've got a $39.99 (most likely) price tag for Madden. It's VERY hard for gamers to justify spending that on a game like Madden. They really really need to lower the cost of Vita games if they want this thing to survive.

# 38 SamitSarkar @ 07/01/12 06:33 PM
Quote:
Can you speak about the default camera view they used for the game? Did they show you different camera views?
I didn't mess around with that stuff, but then, I almost never bother changing the camera on console.

# 39 Demoncrom @ 07/02/12 08:19 AM
Looks ok thus far, but if it is not going to be feature complete than they should not release it. Oh it's new hardware is a cop out and I'm tired of hearing it every cycle. Devs get new hardware years before the rest of us even hear about it or see it, I seriously doubt that developing for Vita differs that much from PS3 and if it's is then boo to Sony for not supplying proper libraries in their dev kits.

To this point handheld Madden games have been pretty dismal so it would be nice to see them put some real effort into it.

# 40 Tyrant8RDFL @ 07/02/12 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DickDalewood
More than one picture shows the sidelines, one of the shots shows the goalposts in the background, so yes, there is plenty of evidence for my claims.

As far as understanding programming... if you've at all been around this site, you'll know that I've done more than my fair share of defending Madden. Cutting back in areas is understandable, but to leave out things like referees, nets, and sidelines is ridiculous. We didn't go through this on any previous generations of hardware until EA became the sole football developer, now suddenly it's ok for first time efforts to leave out things that have been in these games since the SNES.
You have every right to feel the way you do, but the three things you mentioned just mean noting to me for a game on a handheld. Im cool with a Madden 12.5 version. Its not costing $60, and it has things that will be missed on Madden 13.

I will get it. It will be a great game to play on te subway when im heading to work, or when Im heading back home.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.