Home
Madden NFL 13 News Post

Check out the Madden NFL 13 screenshot of the cover athlete, Calvin Johnson Jr.

Game: Madden NFL 13Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii U / Xbox 360Votes for game: 77 - View All
Madden NFL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 TheUndogmatic @ 07/07/12 12:20 PM
Nitpickers/2k fanboys: THE JERSEY NUMBER IS TOO BIG. THE JERSEYS ARE HORRIBLE. IT LOOKS OLD. THEIR BODIES ARE UNREALISTIC AND DISPROPORTIONATE. CALVIN JOHNSON'S TEETH AREN'T ALIGNED CORRECTLY. THE GRASS ISN'T GREEN ENOUGH. CLAY MATTHEW'S EYES ARE THE WRONG COLOR. WHAT IS THIS EA? WHY CAN'T YOU DO ANYTHING RIGHT FOR ONCE? I'M NEVER BUYING MADDEN AGAIN, THIS GAME LOOKS AWFUL.

# 42 TheUndogmatic @ 07/07/12 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnSKINS26
I don't have a reputation for posting negatively on this board, but I have to ask...

What the hell looks fantastic in that screen shot?

Calvin's torso is huge compared to his legs. His towel is stiff. The numbers on his jersey are enormous. His left hand does not look like its clenched into a fist, it looks horrible. His right hand doesn't even look like its gripping the ball. His left elbow looks weird--bent limbs in this shot look very plastic and inflexible.

Clay Matthews....I won't even get into it. Looks nothing like him, and he has all of the same proportional/flexible/etc. issues that I noted with Calvin.

This is a terrible screen shot. I don't know how you can argue otherwise, if you are unbiased.
You're... you're joking... right? You have to be joking.

# 43 Tweeg @ 07/07/12 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUndogmatic
Nitpickers/2k fanboys: THE JERSEY NUMBER IS TOO BIG. THE JERSEYS ARE HORRIBLE. IT LOOKS OLD. THEIR BODIES ARE UNREALISTIC AND DISPROPORTIONATE. CALVIN JOHNSON'S TEETH AREN'T ALIGNED CORRECTLY. THE GRASS ISN'T GREEN ENOUGH. CLAY MATTHEW'S EYES ARE THE WRONG COLOR. WHAT IS THIS EA? WHY CAN'T YOU DO ANYTHING RIGHT FOR ONCE? I'M NEVER BUYING MADDEN AGAIN, THIS GAME LOOKS AWFUL.
Nobody has said anything as preposterous as your teeth and eye examples. They do, however, look weird and extremely cartoonish. It reminds me of WCW/nWo Revenge for N64.

# 44 TeamBuilder @ 07/07/12 07:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
His name IS Calvin Johnson JR

Look it up

Twitter.com/bigplaycj

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvin_Johnson
#1 Never give me wikipedia as a source (even if the information you get from there is accurate)

#2 Like others have said, there is no "Jr." on the back of his jersey.

# 45 StreetCarp @ 07/07/12 10:14 PM
Quote:
Pumped that EA let you intern for the summer?

# 46 speedy9386 @ 07/07/12 10:56 PM
Quote:

# 47 DeuceDouglas @ 07/07/12 11:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamBuilder
#1 Never give me wikipedia as a source (even if the information you get from there is accurate)

#2 Like others have said, there is no "Jr." on the back of his jersey.
We don't really know if there will be or not. NFL rules didn't allow players to have 'Jr.' on the back of their jersey's in previous years. This year that rule has changed so we'll have to wait and see.

# 48 nttnybuc @ 07/08/12 12:14 AM
Clay Matthews looks fat

# 49 prostige- @ 07/08/12 12:21 AM
damn calvin really let himself go this offseason. He needs to start doing some more situps for real

# 50 ConnSKINS26 @ 07/08/12 02:22 AM
Quote:
You're... you're joking... right? You have to be joking.
Why would I be joking? The screenshot looks terrible, for all the reasons I noted.

# 51 ZoneBlitz @ 07/09/12 01:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsufan4423
Wonder what all those sideline player are staring at?
I've always wondered what the players and crowds are looking at in this and many games.

# 52 edjames01 @ 07/09/12 10:40 AM
LOL. Madden is a video game running on a video game console. During the actual gameplay, you don't even have time to see any of this stuff.

But If it was running MASSIVE on Sequoia, then it might actually be possible to make it realistic.

I can imagine each player, coach, official having their own routines regardless of whether they were on the field. Even the fans in the stadium could be doing different things in each section. The engine could also be simulating in real time all the games that are being played concurrently.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/06/18/tech...uter/index.htm

http://massivesoftware.com/applications.html

# 53 falconfansince81 @ 07/09/12 06:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawHat Patriot
The reason some of the people here complain is because of how great and sim other games look.
not only that, but a lot of it can be taken as helpful criticism. when the goal is realism and they post a picture of such incorrect proportions i would only hope the community speaks up and makes note of it. not going to matter during gameplay anyways, at least i hope not...

# 54 agreene7 @ 07/12/12 11:23 AM
Why do people not understand that a video game will never truely replicate a real game. Other sim games have just as many cosmetic flaws as madden. It you are focused that much on the looks while playing then maybe you shouldn't buy the game if are that upset about player models.

# 55 TeamBuilder @ 07/15/12 10:55 AM

Madden 13 has Calvin Johnson in the game as Calvin Johnson "Jr." As you can see from his NFL.com jersey, there is no "Jr." on his jersey. I just don't get why they need to add the "Jr." Bryant Johnson is no longer on the team!

# 56 Multi @ 07/15/12 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA1NT401
Gee seems so easy for them to edit but we can't. I still cannot comprehend WHY editing equipment / numbers is locked. I see ZERO differance in why EA can edit ( see RGIII sleeves) and we can't.

It's the same damn thing!!!
It's EA... there'll be some backwards reason as to why. Perhaps the accessories are part of the base model for the player and the engine doesn't support alterations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreene7
Why do people not understand that a video game will never truely replicate a real game. Other sim games have just as many cosmetic flaws as madden.

When a game created almost a decade ago managed to capture the look and feel of the NFL far greater than EA ever has, you just have to wonder why the Madden developers find it so insanely difficult to get anything looking right.

FIFA doesn't suffer this issue, why does Madden?

# 57 RedZoneD25 @ 07/15/12 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi
It's EA... there'll be some backwards reason as to why. Perhaps the accessories are part of the base model for the player and the engine doesn't support alterations.

When a game created almost a decade ago managed to capture the look and feel of the NFL far greater than EA ever has, you just have to wonder why the Madden developers find it so insanely difficult to get anything looking right.

FIFA doesn't suffer this issue, why does Madden?
Just looking at that picture, I can tell you the Eagles "midnight green" is completely wrong. No shine, it's almost a dark aqua compared to what it was back in 2004:

My point: 2K5 was a great looking game for it's time (though Madden NFL 05 was too) but I find the notion of "capturing the look and feel of the NFL far greater than EA ever has" from a strictly art perspective to be a bit over the top.

I'm not asking you to change your opinions or feelings and you're entitled to have them, but I just don't feel that way about it.

# 58 Multi @ 07/15/12 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZoneD25
Just looking at that picture, I can tell you the Eagles "midnight green" is completely wrong. No shine, it's almost a dark aqua compared to what it was back in 2004:

My point: 2K5 was a great looking game for it's time (though Madden NFL 05 was too) but I find the notion of "capturing the look and feel of the NFL far greater than EA ever has" from a strictly art perspective to be a bit over the top.

I'm not asking you to change your opinions or feelings and you're entitled to have them, but I just don't feel that way about it.
"Look" being that its virtual humans tended to look and move much like a real human would. Madden struggles with this and I don't understand why.
It's not a lack of resources, so are there massive comprises being made in order to meet the strict, yearly deadline?

« Previous 123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.