Home
News Post

Sickening. Disgusting. Stomach churning.

The Freeh report on Penn State was released today and revealed a concerted effort not to reveal but to enable child molestation in the Penn State football program. The question now becomes: is getting free tattoos or enabling child rape a more dangerous threat to the NCAA and all it stands for? The NCAA, for it's part, has announced an investigation into Penn State's football program.

So what do you all think? What should be the Penn State football program's fate?

Sound off!

Member Comments
# 1 OSUFan_88 @ 07/12/12 11:23 AM
Total decimation. 1 year, at least, of no football. Decade long probation period.

# 2 huntt26 @ 07/12/12 11:24 AM
Absolutely horrible. Let's not forget to respect and pray for the victims and their families. Anything that the NCAA does to Penn State will not be enough to help those families out. I hope the penalty is harsh and unforgiving.

# 3 JerzeyReign @ 07/12/12 11:27 AM
They may want to think about removing Paterno's statue -- and then they deserve a NCAA death penalty in football. Get rid of the program for 5-10 years...

# 4 michigan21 @ 07/12/12 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntt26
Absolutely horrible. Let's not forget to respect and pray for the victims and their families. Anything that the NCAA does to Penn State will not be enough to help those families out. I hope the penalty is harsh and unforgiving.
Well said. I do pray for any victim of child rape. I'm a pretty tough close to 40yr old man, but some of these details make me tear up. I cant imagine the torture and destruction these young men are going through today. That said, minimum 1 year suspension of football. 5 years football probation. And all incoming freshman have to do community service in Happy Valley for organizations that provide youth services. PSU will make a sizable donation to legitimate at risk youth programs also. I know it wont happen, but it should.

# 5 erod328 @ 07/12/12 11:35 AM
The people who helped cover it up are going to prison. As a head coach, you're responsible for your staff and players. The staff violated the law of the land, and was allowed to do so under the head coach, who himself violated the law of the land. If this came to light back in '98, one coach would have been gone. If it would've came to light in '01, two coaches would have been gone, including the head coach. You could venture to say that the football team benefited from '01 to '11 by having their head coach present to lead the team.

As for the football team and possible sanctions; let the young athletes transfer out without sitting a year, and shut down the program for a calender year.

# 6 Pokes @ 07/12/12 11:43 AM
I don't think the NCAA should do anything, it's not really within their boundaries to act on something like this. However, I do think that the people who conspired in these events who are not already dead; (Paterno), or going to prison, (Sandusky); should be brought to trial for their roles in these events, and that this should go all the way down the chain.

At the same time the victims and their families should begin filing civil suits against these persons involved, the Paterno family and PSU as a whole. Knowing how NCAA investigations are always controversial, clumsy and full of blunders; I just honestly believe they would be more of a hindrance than a help.

# 7 Jr. @ 07/12/12 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokes
I don't think the NCAA should do anything, it's not really within their boundaries to act on something like this. However, I do think that the people who conspired in these events who are not already dead; (Paterno), or going to prison, (Sandusky); should be brought to trial for their roles in these events, and that this should go all the way down the chain.

At the same time the victims and their families should begin filing civil suits against these persons involved, the Paterno family and PSU as a whole. Knowing how NCAA investigations are always controversial, clumsy and full of blunders; I just honestly believe they would be more of a hindrance than a help.
Luckily for the NCAA, all of the investigating has already been done. They just have to go interview the same people.

# 8 ImTellinTim @ 07/12/12 11:51 AM
The NCAA should stay out of this.

But if Penn State wants to even begin rebuilding its image, it starts with taking a break from football.

PSU is going to be paying out the nose with the civil suits. What a mess.

# 9 chi_hawks @ 07/12/12 11:52 AM
This is a tough one. Punishing the football team now penalizes the fans and student athletes, both groups who had no knowledge of these incidents and the cover ups. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a punishment that fits the crime right now. Sure, you could suspend the football team, but you have to ask yourself, who are you sending this message to?

I'd like to see the school donate money, like in the tens of millions, to a charity of social organization that deals with battered and abused women/children. This would be a good start (and would actually have a positive impact).

# 10 OSUFan_88 @ 07/12/12 11:57 AM

******** src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets****" charset="utf-8">

# 11 rspencer86 @ 07/12/12 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokes

After thinking on it for a good bit, I'll agree with this approach.

Bring everyone involved in the cover-up to justice in the courts system. But to punish the current student-athletes and coaches who had nothing to do with it just seems wrong.

# 12 19 @ 07/12/12 12:14 PM
Shut the program down for a year and clean house. I also wouldn't be upset if the B1G tossed PSU out on the curb as well.

# 13 letsgopens66 @ 07/12/12 12:21 PM
There won't be a death penalty. As said a million times, this is not a student athlete issue. Those involved will pay and be punished.

# 14 MONSTERPAYNE @ 07/12/12 12:22 PM
I'm not sure the team itself should be removed b/c that punished a lot of players who knew nothing, but they should definitely get something big. I think they should ban any coach who knew about it from coaching in the NCAA again, if evidence is found of lack of institutional control then a heavy probation (but above post claims there is none), if not then nothing else should be done by NCAA. Banning the coaches involved will only punish those involved, and not the crrent players or coaches. Penn State should fire everyone who knew about this, remove anything with Paterno in its name, and try to rebuild from there. As for the court of law, I hope everyone who knew about this gets max time for their offenses. This is one of the most horrific things I have seen in my young life and those involved need to pay deeply for their actions. I pray for the victims and the family and I hope they get their just due in the civil courts. I know that I will never have any respect for this university again or for those whom supported Paterno through this situation.

# 15 AJAY303 @ 07/12/12 12:24 PM
No football for 10 years.

# 16 Skyboxer @ 07/12/12 12:25 PM
Blow up the football program and start over. 1 year of no football then 5 to 10 year probation... No bowls obviously.

# 17 cavsfan2 @ 07/12/12 12:32 PM
Death Penalty

# 18 Buckeyes_Doc @ 07/12/12 12:32 PM
I've never been a fan of screaming "DEATH PENALTY!!!" but I think shutting the Penn State program down for 1 or 2 years and cleaning house is the best thing to do, with or without NCAA involvement.

I feel bad for the current players, alumni, students, and recruits. Allow current players and recruits to transfer schools with no penalty and PSU should help financially with that, and help in any other way to assist the players.

# 19 richiesbx137 @ 07/12/12 12:36 PM
I really think it is very wrong what happened here, and I pray for the victims. If I was a student I would have walked away and transferred the perception is too damaging and to devastating and the way its done is very wrong and very terrible. I really think the football program needs to be punished, very similar to the death penalty I really believe it should be one year, it is that horrible. I know its bad and the student athletes are NOT INVOLVED in this case but it is too devasting as this story reached nationally and internationally. The NCAA needs to step in and deal very harsh damage the same with Miami this past season. Both of them should be treated with the death penalty. There are children involved and Penn State will not be the same ever again and for a very very long time. This is just as bad as SMU and Maddoff or even worse (because of its media coverage today). I think it will take more than 25 years to recover this, maybe even longer than this....It hurts every facet as a student in general. And I feel their pain, I am a college student as well and to me this is very wrong.

# 20 RaychelSnr @ 07/12/12 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_hawks
This is a tough one. Punishing the football team now penalizes the fans and student athletes, both groups who had no knowledge of these incidents and the cover ups. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a punishment that fits the crime right now. Sure, you could suspend the football team, but you have to ask yourself, who are you sending this message to?

I'd like to see the school donate money, like in the tens of millions, to a charity of social organization that deals with battered and abused women/children. This would be a good start (and would actually have a positive impact).
This is a bad argument for one reason: It's never anyone's fault other than the people responsible when an NCAA program gets sanctioned. USC fans and Ohio State fans are being punished for stuff they didn't know about largely, so are/were the other players who probably had no idea. In this event you'd get to transfer out free of charge as with most NCAA cases and could play elsewhere immediately. Playing the 'it's not their fault' card just doesn't work ever...when a program is out of line, no matter if it's one or 50 people, it's out of line.

The NCAA is going to investigate and is going to be looking for a reason, any reason, to drop the hammer on PSU. One of their biggest gripes with PSU in Emmert's letter to the university is the lack of a centralized compliance office (and really a concern Paterno had too much power at the university). There's a good chance they'll find something.

« Previous1234567893233Next »

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.