Home
News Post

Sickening. Disgusting. Stomach churning.

The Freeh report on Penn State was released today and revealed a concerted effort not to reveal but to enable child molestation in the Penn State football program. The question now becomes: is getting free tattoos or enabling child rape a more dangerous threat to the NCAA and all it stands for? The NCAA, for it's part, has announced an investigation into Penn State's football program.

So what do you all think? What should be the Penn State football program's fate?

Sound off!

Member Comments
# 621 DickDalewood @ 07/23/12 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan36
So other than 60 million, this looks the same as USC to me. What am I missing? I'm driving at the moment
$60 million, loss of scholarships, ALL wins vacated dating back to 1998 (and reflected on JoePa's stats), and a 4 year ban from bowl games.

Worse than the death penalty IMO.

# 622 DickDalewood @ 07/23/12 09:31 AM
Quote:
USC had the 4 year ban too right?
Theirs was two years

# 623 Beantown @ 07/23/12 09:32 AM
Quote:
USC had the 4 year ban too right?
2 year bowl, 3 year scholarship.

# 624 br329 @ 07/23/12 09:32 AM
According to Joe Schad of ESPN PSU will lose 20 scholarships for the next 4 years

# 625 xcrushx @ 07/23/12 09:33 AM
I was really happy to see the wins vacated. That was the most important thing to me. Joe Paterno doesn't deserve those wins.

# 626 ryan36 @ 07/23/12 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJetsfan
Maybe they'll start chanting "We were, Penn State".

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Ok this comment is unnecessary. This has been a good thread so far

These penalties aren't that bad. At all.

The money is the only thing that hurts.

# 627 jamie1981 @ 07/23/12 09:37 AM
How many players do you think will transfer or can transfer this season? It would have to be really tough for these players to transfer this late.

Sent from my 1983 Motorola DynaTAC mobile phone

# 628 Beantown @ 07/23/12 09:37 AM
Quote:

The money is equal to one year of profits from football. They'll make it back within the next two seasons.

# 629 ryan36 @ 07/23/12 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie1981
How many players do you think will transfer or can transfer this season? It would have to be really tough for these players to transfer this late.

Sent from my 1983 Motorola DynaTAC mobile phone
Honestly , it could be a lot. Some guys might wanna just not be a Nittany Lying any more

# 630 ryan36 @ 07/23/12 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown
The money is equal to one year of profits from football. They'll make it back within the next two seasons.
I agree. It's still a chunk.

I think PSU got by just fine.

# 631 DickDalewood @ 07/23/12 09:39 AM
Quote:

I don't know man... 4 years of meaningless football is pretty bad for any program.

That and the fact that, how many people will even want to play there now? It's not just the ban, but it's the ridicule and harassment you'd face as a player. Going on the road in those football uniforms will not be fun for any player for quite some time.

The program is forever tainted, and I think it's great that it will be shown in the record books as well. 14 years of wins are now vacated and reflected on Paterno's resume, meaning he is no longer the winningest coach.

# 632 br329 @ 07/23/12 09:41 AM
Quote:

Dude a 4 year Bowl Ban and the combined scholarship reductions are killer. Plus with all the players that will transfer is going make it even worse. They'll have trouble beating Minnesota for the next decade.

# 633 Perfect Zero @ 07/23/12 09:41 AM
So really it's 20 scholarships over four years, plus the four year bowl ban and a $60 million dollar fine. How is this worse than the death penalty? If they wanted it to be that bad, they would have made the team play behind closed doors and have a television/radio ban. For what it's worth, Pennsylvania State came out really well in this. I also think that even though the NCAA has now opened a can of worms for the future in punishing teams for administrative lapses, this was a well thought out punishment.

Pennsylvania State isn't going anywhere. The next four years will be tough, but their standing in the Big Ten isn't going anywhere.

# 634 lonewolf371 @ 07/23/12 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown
It's equal to a year of revenue. The Penn State athletic department turned a profit of $30 million from the 2010 football season. However, remember that the Big Ten is considering their own punishments and may cut off Penn State from revenue sharing, which would be about $20 million a year.

# 635 Beantown @ 07/23/12 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf371
It's equal to a year of revenue. The Penn State athletic department turned a profit of $30 million from the 2010 football season. However, remember that the Big Ten is considering their own punishments and may cut off Penn State from revenue sharing, which would be about $20 million a year.
True enough. Thanks for the clarification.

# 636 DickDalewood @ 07/23/12 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Zero
So really it's 20 scholarships over four years, plus the four year bowl ban and a $60 million dollar fine. How is this worse than the death penalty? If they wanted it to be that bad, they would have made the team play behind closed doors and have a television/radio ban. For what it's worth, Pennsylvania State came out really well in this. I also think that even though the NCAA has now opened a can of worms for the future in punishing teams for administrative lapses, this was a well thought out punishment.

Pennsylvania State isn't going anywhere. The next four years will be tough, but their standing in the Big Ten isn't going anywhere.
This certainly won't help. What exactly was their "standing" in the Big Ten anyway? I can tell you as a lifetime Iowa fan/Big Ten follower that they sure as hell weren't considered one of the top schools anymore, and haven't been for a good decade. This will absolutely push them further down the rung.

# 637 br329 @ 07/23/12 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DickDalewood
This certainly won't help. What exactly was their "standing" in the Big Ten anyway? I can tell you as a lifetime Iowa fan/Big Ten follower that they sure as hell weren't considered one of the top schools anymore, and haven't been for a good decade. This will absolutely push them further down the rung.
I can honestly see them kicking them out after this season. I'm not sure they will but it wouldn't surprise me.

# 638 Wildcats302 @ 07/23/12 09:48 AM
Yeah, OSU, Michigan, MSU, Wisconsin, Nebraska, all ahead of Penn State in prestige and talent now in the Big Ten. Iowa may be as well, Penn State will go now lose to Indiana, that is pretty bad.

# 639 ImTellinTim @ 07/23/12 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DickDalewood
Not entirely true. They had 2 straight 1-loss seasons just a few years ago and had been right in the running to win their division until the last game last year.

# 640 ryan36 @ 07/23/12 09:55 AM
It doesn't seem easy. It's not as harsh as I wanted , but I think it's good they will have a chance to rebuild.

We'll see. If they recover from this , it's an accomplishment. And a great story. I actually hope they do.

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.