Home
News Post

Sickening. Disgusting. Stomach churning.

The Freeh report on Penn State was released today and revealed a concerted effort not to reveal but to enable child molestation in the Penn State football program. The question now becomes: is getting free tattoos or enabling child rape a more dangerous threat to the NCAA and all it stands for? The NCAA, for it's part, has announced an investigation into Penn State's football program.

So what do you all think? What should be the Penn State football program's fate?

Sound off!

Member Comments
# 101 phenom1990 @ 07/13/12 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokes
Technically, Sandusky retired in 1999, so for most of these incidents he wasn't really a football coach. I don't think the NCAA is going to get involved, and to be honest, I don't think the legal authorities want them involved either.
I don't know if this legally works within the rules of the NCAA. But Penn State football profited from Paterno chase for most wins in Division I history and most wins in Division I-A history. They profited from the Orange Bowl against Florida State, etc. As soon as Paterno got the record for most wins, the report comes out. Penn State kept Paterno on to profit on his chase for most wins.

Penn State football program should probably be punished. Don't hand me the players, etc are the ones getting punished for Penn State action. Penn State football program would get punished and the players would be allowed to transfer.

# 102 lonewolf371 @ 07/13/12 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokes
Technically, Sandusky retired in 1999, so for most of these incidents he wasn't really a football coach. I don't think the NCAA is going to get involved, and to be honest, I don't think the legal authorities want them involved either.
Yes, but he was sheltered by the athletic department for his status as an associate of the athletic department and former coach. Heck, the rapes happened inside athletic department facilities.

# 103 Stu @ 07/13/12 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie1981
Do any of you think that if the NCAA gives PSU the death penalty, then PSU has any grounds to sue them? If that can be done, then the death penalty may not be able to be levied upon the program that easily.

Sent from my 1983 Motorola DynaTAC mobile phone
That would be some top notch PR work by Penn State if they sued the NCAA. "We know we were wrong, but we don't want to be punished for it" I'm pretty sure their lawyers will be busy enough trying to limit the university's financial liabilities in the civil law suits they're going to soon be facing.

To me, the smartest move PSU could make right now is a self imposed one year ban on their football team. It would show most reasonable people that they're serious about changing the culture and would probably be enough to placate the NCAA. If PSU does nothing they are forcing the NCAA to take action or the NCAA will be facing a serious credibility issue.

# 104 rangerrick012 @ 07/13/12 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu
That would be some top notch PR work by Penn State if they sued the NCAA. "We know we were wrong, but we don't want to be punished for it" I'm pretty sure their lawyers will be busy enough trying to limit the university's financial liabilities in the civil law suits they're going to soon be facing.

To me, the smartest move PSU could make right now is a self imposed one year ban on their football team. It would show most reasonable people that they're serious about changing the culture and would probably be enough to placate the NCAA. If PSU does nothing they are forcing the NCAA to take action or the NCAA will be facing a serious credibility issue.
So PSU takes one year off. You're telling me that would be enough to get rid of the sense of entitlement felt not just at PSU, but at CFB and major college sports programs nationwide? Like I said I don't think anything should be done as far as cancelling a season, but to think that 1 year would cut it is pretty short sighted.

If anything, people would rally (figuratively and literally) for PSU football once it came back and it'd be back to business as usual in no time. They might even bring in more money because of it, ala Duke after the lacrosse scandal.

It's almost all or nothing. Either kill the program and send a real message or do nothing. Don't go halfway and say yeah you should have 1 year off but then you can go back to business as usual.

# 105 Stu @ 07/13/12 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerrick012
So PSU takes one year off. You're telling me that would be enough to get rid of the sense of entitlement felt not just at PSU, but at CFB and major college sports programs nationwide? Like I said I don't think anything should be done as far as cancelling a season, but to think that 1 year would cut it is pretty short sighted.

If anything, people would rally (figuratively and literally) for PSU football once it came back and it'd be back to business as usual in no time. They might even bring in more money because of it, ala Duke after the lacrosse scandal.

It's almost all or nothing. Either kill the program and send a real message or do nothing. Don't go halfway and say yeah you should have 1 year off but then you can go back to business as usual.
No I don't think the year off would accomplish anything in the long run. My point was simply that if PSU wants a future for their football program, they're better off implementing a self imposed ban vs waiting for the NCAA to do it for them.

# 106 jamie1981 @ 07/13/12 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyes_Doc
I don't think Penn State has any grounds to sue the NCAA, and what do you mean that easily?
Well I figured that if PSU sued, the death penalty couldn't be upheld while a lawsuit against the NCAA was pending. I have no idea about law but it was just a thought.

# 107 seasprite @ 07/13/12 02:11 PM
I dont think the AA has anything that they can do in this situation. Ive read over the operating and admin bylaws, and there doesnt seem to be anything that would fit this situation as far as what the AA would be able to punish under.

# 108 seasprite @ 07/13/12 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell8
I agree they have to operate within their jurisdiction.
Not really a case of jurisdiction, its a matter of determining what AA law or rule they broke........there isnt one. And the only time LOI can be considered, is if it is in conjuction with a bylaw that was broken.

# 109 jamie1981 @ 07/13/12 02:41 PM
I think that the bigger issue is that the NCAA has lost control. Money and greed has consumed everyone in college football. It seems like there are rules violations every other day and now this scandal has arisen. I don't know how it can be fixed but I think the NCAA should be reformed or even blown up. University athletic programs obviously can't govern themselves so someone needs to take over. College football needs a Roger Goodell type of leader.

# 110 seasprite @ 07/13/12 02:55 PM
Quote:
I think that the bigger issue is that the NCAA has lost control. Money and greed has consumed everyone in college football. It seems like there are rules violations every other day and now this scandal has arisen. I don't know how it can be fixed but I think the NCAA should be reformed or even blown up. University athletic programs obviously can't govern themselves so someone needs to take over. College football needs a Roger Goodell type of leader.

I disagree with you that the "bigger issue" has anything to do with the AA here. This is 100% on PSU and their leaders.

# 111 jamie1981 @ 07/13/12 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasprite
I disagree with you that the "bigger issue" has anything to do with the AA here. This is 100% on PSU and their leaders.
Trust me, I know the scandal is all on PSU but just the other programs' issues seem to multiplying. Now with this PSU disgrace, I think the NCAA is damned if they do and damned if they don't. I don't see how the NCAA comes out looking good in this one. If it will take a death penalty for the NCAA to get firm control over college football, then they should do it. But it seems like.they have lost a lot of credibility.

# 112 seasprite @ 07/13/12 03:04 PM
Quote:
Trust me, I know the scandal is all on PSU but just the other programs' issues seem to multiplying. Now with this PSU disgrace, I think the NCAA is damned if they do and damned if they don't. I don't see how the NCAA comes out looking good in this one.

They will come out "not looking terrible" if they abide by their bylaws and only step in if an established bylaw or rule has been violated. Thats just my opion though

# 113 jamie1981 @ 07/13/12 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasprite
They will come out "not looking terrible" if they abide by their bylaws and only step in if an established bylaw or rule has been violated. Thats just my opion though
To tell you the truth, seasprite, I think I am the only Penn Stater that is in between whether or not PSU should get a death penalty. So in a way, I agree with you but at the same time, I'm not sure.

# 114 DrJones @ 07/13/12 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerrick012

I completely agree with you. Kill the program.

# 115 mattynokes @ 07/13/12 04:00 PM
Bowl bans and scholarship limits are probably the most sensible punishments. You may say that hurts future players who didn't have a thing to do with it, but as an Ohio State fan I look at how all of the players who were suspended for Tattoo-gate are now gone (plus the coach) yet they got saddled with a lack of institutional control and got bowl bans and scholarship limits.

If they get the death penalty, then the NCAA truly hasn't learned a thing from the SMU situation.

# 116 DonkeyJote @ 07/13/12 04:08 PM
I really don't understand the "kill the football program" sentiment. Football didn't do this. A sick man who happened to be a football coach did this.

You only "send a message" if a message needs to be sent, but does one? Do you really think anyone thinks what happened there is okay, or that they can get away with it? Sandusky is in prison for the rest of his life. Paterno is dead, and his legacy is utterly ruined. The people involved are being punished. So why are we then going to punish the fans, students, trustees, administrators, teachers, and athletes who had absolutely no knowledge of all of this? What possibly gets accomplished by that besides satisfying a thirst for blood. People are angry, and rightly so, but terminating, or even suspending, the football program is simply lashing out at a party that does not bear responsibility out of that anger.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

# 117 Jr. @ 07/13/12 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyJote
I really don't understand the "kill the football program" sentiment. Football didn't do this. A sick man who happened to be a football coach did this.

You only "send a message" if a message needs to be sent, but does one? Do you really think anyone thinks what happened there is okay, or that they can get away with it? Sandusky is in prison for the rest of his life. Paterno is dead, and his legacy is utterly ruined. The people involved are being punished. So why are we then going to punish the fans, students, trustees, administrators, teachers, and athletes who had absolutely no knowledge of all of this? What possibly gets accomplished by that besides satisfying a thirst for blood. People are angry, and rightly so, but terminating, or even suspending, the football program is simply lashing out at a party that does not bear responsibility out of that anger.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
Do you think that if Penn State's football program wasn't a top 10 program of all-time, that this would have been handled by the men in charge of the university and football program the way that it was?

# 118 letsgopens66 @ 07/13/12 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baughn3
Do you think that if Penn State's football program wasn't a top 10 program of all-time, that this would have been handled by the men in charge of the university and football program the way that it was?
It's hard to say. Once again, there was a cover up to protect the entire university. Not just the football program. I don't know where everyone is getting this from.

I agree with DonkeyJote as well. Everyone is justifiably angry (including me), but lashing out and making a rash punishment against people who played no role isn't going to solve anything.

# 119 OSUFan_88 @ 07/13/12 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyJote
And then the head football coach, for fear of a publicity hit and probably losing recruits, decided to keep it under wraps.

Let's not kid ourselves here, the reason they didn't do this was to "maintain the image" or in other words, not harm the cash cow.

As for the other issues, you don't think Penn State got an unfair athletic advantage out of this? If this comes out in 1998, is the Penn State team totally unharmed? I seriously doubt it. What about loss of recruits? What about transfers out?

Penn State acted selfishly and got what was coming to them. It would be unfortunate to see the university rewarded for the cover up by giving them exactly what they wanted in the first place, to keep the cash cow a movin.

Blow it all up. No football for years. The culture of football above all is not healthy.

I just hope Penn State is the only school that has had this happen. Unfortunately, I doubt it is. As was with Baylor, and now Penn State, schools will always whore themselves out for cash. NCAA is one of the most dangerous breeding grounds of corruption in the world.

# 120 Jr. @ 07/13/12 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgopens66
It's hard to say. Once again, there was a cover up to protect the entire university. Not just the football program. I don't know where everyone is getting this from.

I agree with DonkeyJote as well. Everyone is justifiably angry (including me), but lashing out and making a rash punishment against people who played no role isn't going to solve anything.
If they were just trying to protect the university, then why would they seek the advice of the Head Football Coach in how to handle it? The way it seems to me is that this was about protecting the football program first, and the university second.

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.