Home
NHL 13 News Post

NHL 13 GM Connected mode details arrive next week. Word is, it's the largest dynasty mode ever, in a sports video game.

What are you hoping for?

Game: NHL 13Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
NHL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 GlennN @ 07/23/12 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher_guy
Same here. I've never done an online league because I hate the idea of trying to coordinate my schedule with a bunch of people in order to play (especially with people I don't know that well).

Some weeks I will play every night, for at least a couple hours a night, and some weeks my Xbox doesn't even get turned on!
Yep, me too. I let my family, work and life responsibilities get in the way of my gaming! Offline is really the only option I am interested in.

# 42 shogunofharlem3 @ 07/23/12 12:40 PM
I am really hoping it works well. My 4 buddies and I, all in our 30's, married, kids, job(S) etc. We played a TON of 2k10 Team Up where we'd do 5 vs CPU with custom sliders using a made up schedule etc. So much fun.

If we could do it within a Dynasty, with trades, etc, that would be insane. This mode alone, with the ability to play with multiple guys on one team is what has sold me. Looking forward to it.

# 43 NHLandPESFan @ 07/23/12 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Don't say that too loud in front of some Madden folks. God forbid they can't control every team and run the entire league. Point it out how it pretty much defeats the purpose of gm mode and they skin you alive.
It doesn't defeat the purpose of GM Mode at all. Ever since 2k8, a few friends and I have played franchise mode where we each control our favorite team with full drafting, trading, etc. I am getting sick of 2k10 but have to stick with it due to EA's refusal to implement multiplayer franchise mode in their game. It is extremely frustrating because they could obviously do it, they just don't care and they want to force everyone to play online so they can screw you with online passes, HUT cards and boost packs and a bunch of other crap I don't care about. My hopes on this are very low since it sounds like Madden used to have this and they are removing it in Madden 13. Maybe I'll give Madden 12 a try.

# 44 shogunofharlem3 @ 07/23/12 01:45 PM
Lot of people like to make their season as close to the real NHL as possible and make moves within their Franchises as they are made in the NHL. Something you can't do if you can't control all teams.

# 45 oilers000 @ 07/23/12 02:15 PM
I think they need to make nhl 13 gm connected like be a pro mode. I think you should have to have a option to pick whatever nhl team you want or start in the CHL as a gm and work your way up. I think that could be the next step for gm connected. I also think it should be online as well.

# 46 captaincan @ 07/23/12 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
Possible stupid question time...

Is GM Connected just the new Be A GM mode with online capabilities? In other words, if I'm just wanting to do a standard franchise mode, controlling the Blackhawks will I start a "GM Connected" mode or will it still be called Be A GM?

Also, what's that I read about the draft? We can't draft our players? What the?
Thats just for online, same goes for no fantasy draft. At first I was really bummed, but when you think about it, it makes sense. Trying to do a draft with 30 other users would take a stupid long time.

Online Be a GM is basically offline Be a GM, but with a few less options to make it work with multiple users.

I've liked what I've heard so far. If I could only add one thing, it would be the ability to choose shortened seasons...like 41 games. It takes so long just to get through one year and into the playoffs. Why can't we have an option to cut the season in half?

# 47 shogunofharlem3 @ 07/23/12 07:33 PM
Quote:
We're talking about two totally different things. Multiplayer franchise with friends, which I believe both Madden and NHL have via online but not via a single console. And a single user controlling every franchise in the league in one gm/franchise, it's the latter that to me makes no sense in the scheme of playing a franchise mode and leading one team vs the cpu offline.

For if a user can control every team in a single player GM mode, what's to stop them from making terrible trades on purpose, or causing teams to lose on purpose? etc etc.
True, I agree. But I in 2k10, I run 2 franchises:

1. I control 1 team and whatever happens in the league happens in the league.

2. Control all teams, injuries off, and keep it day to day with the current NHL, sort of a poor man's NHL Today if you will. I go to each team, take out the injuries, make trades and callups, etc. Without controlling every team, that option wouldn't be available.

I can see both sides of the coin. I am more of an option 1 guy, but option 2 ain't bad either.

Honor system, I never reset after losing, even if in playoffs, stanley cup. It is what it is!

# 48 Yeats @ 07/23/12 10:09 PM
Quote:
Don't say that too loud in front of some Madden folks. God forbid they can't control every team and run the entire league. Point it out how it pretty much defeats the purpose of gm mode and they skin you alive.
Not even close to a reasonable comparison. Madden has eliminated any and all multi-team control AND editing capability. other than in single game, Play Now mode. Beyond ridiculous.

That said, including multi-team control in GM mode when it's already an option in Season mode makes little sense. The option is in the game already, period, no need for such overkill.

# 49 TDKing @ 07/24/12 11:40 AM
Quote:
For if a user can control every team in a single player GM mode, what's to stop them from making terrible trades on purpose, or causing teams to lose on purpose? etc etc.
Key here is SINGLE PLAYER mode... why do you care or why does anyone care what a user does in his on private single player gm mode ? Note, I don't really care to control all teams I don't even have time to control one team.. lol... but the people who like to do it should be able too.

# 50 TDKing @ 07/24/12 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincan
Thats just for online, same goes for no fantasy draft. At first I was really bummed, but when you think about it, it makes sense. Trying to do a draft with 30 other users would take a stupid long time.
What if i only wanted to do a fantasy draft with like say....5 other users, that wouldn't take too long.
Hey no one says you have to join a 30 team fantasy draft league either.

# 51 jwilphl @ 07/24/12 12:46 PM
First they ought to get rid of that terrible CPU trade logic. It is unbelievably annoying when you have to accept the most lopsided trades just to improve your GM relationship with a team. No thanks.

Also why did they remove the drafting process? I enjoyed making my draft picks, what is the purpose of taking away user interactivity? The scheduling after the first couple years is also nonsensical. Why do I play 10 home games in a row following 10 away games?

I'm hoping they left the fantasy draft option unlike Madden. I'm still on the fence about buying this year, but if they did remove it then it is certainly a no-go for me.

I'm also hoping a lot of the menus are improved, such as stat-tracking and determining trade needs and wants. A lot of those menus were very poorly put together and sort of ambiguous, and the stat screens for players are just bad (only four years, can't see which team they played for, et cetera).

Honestly there was quite a bit that could be improved. It is nice to see they made large improvements to gameplay, but if the GM mode is not largely improved, I'm probably not going to buy until they put some work into it.

# 52 canucksss @ 07/24/12 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilphl

Also why did they remove the drafting process? I enjoyed making my draft picks, what is the purpose of taking away user interactivity? The scheduling after the first couple years is also nonsensical. Why do I play 10 home games in a row following 10 away games?

but if the GM mode is not largely improved, I'm probably not going to buy until they put some work into it.
The schedule for the 1st year is no problem because EA will just copy the schedule of for 2012-13. But the following year...EA should make an improvement in this area. There were games that I need to play 4 consecutive days..... WTH...NHL is not MLB.

# 53 captaincan @ 07/24/12 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilphl
First they ought to get rid of that terrible CPU trade logic. It is unbelievably annoying when you have to accept the most lopsided trades just to improve your GM relationship with a team. No thanks.

I'm hoping they left the fantasy draft option unlike Madden. I'm still on the fence about buying this year, but if they did remove it then it is certainly a no-go for me.

I'm also hoping a lot of the menus are improved, such as stat-tracking and determining trade needs and wants. A lot of those menus were very poorly put together and sort of ambiguous, and the stat screens for players are just bad (only four years, can't see which team they played for, et cetera).

Honestly there was quite a bit that could be improved. It is nice to see they made large improvements to gameplay, but if the GM mode is not largely improved, I'm probably not going to buy until they put some work into it.
Entry draft and fantasy draft have only been removed for Be a GM online. It would be ridiculous trying to draft out that many rounds with 30 users, so it makes sense. Those options will be there like normal when playing offline.

# 54 BenMoten1 @ 07/25/12 07:12 PM
Hey everyone, I haven't bought any NHL games since NHL 06, because I don't have a PS3 nor a Xbox 360, and I consider buying a consol soon to play NHL, I was just wondering : has the quality of the game really improved since then? I mean, are the CPU still ********, like : won't accept trading no 30 pick for no 31, 32 & 33 because a 1st worths 10x more than a 2nd, won't accept trading multi picks for one pick, don't care about the team needs in trades (They cared in NHL 2000, but they kinda deleted that, I don't know why, it was great), realistic free agency (you really have to bid, you can't just talk o every guy and get them), no "super good legal staff" that allows you to sign the best FA at 1M/year. Contracts lasting more than 3 years, added waivers options, can look at draft picks for the following year, RFA status/offer sheets. Trades with fair value, more details than ATT, DEF, PHY, PUI and POT in rookie scouting, access to AHL players, minor team/prospects (I think they can't use them if they didn't play 1 game in the NHL, though, there is a rule for that...). I also played NHL 09 with a friend, and it was the same thing as NHL 06 IMO, except that you had "stars" to upgrade instead of money (which I didn't like), etc. As it finally improved or is it still the same game with better graphics? Is the dynasty mode finally realistic? What are the major changes? Thanks.

# 55 BenMoten1 @ 07/25/12 07:15 PM
Oh and I know nobody has played NHL 13 yet. but how was the 12? I just wanna know where we're at actually.

# 56 desi08 @ 07/25/12 10:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMoten1
Oh and I know nobody has played NHL 13 yet. but how was the 12? I just wanna know where we're at actually.

NHL12 had some good things and bad things. Overall, I thought NHL11 was better. I recently got NHL09 for my PC and I can tell you the leap from NHL09 to NHL11/12 is unreal. If you haven't played the series in a while, I would recommend it.

Most of my gripes are just little things that are messed up in a small window of development, but playing a game a few years old has shown me this game has come a very long way for the best.

# 57 GlennN @ 07/26/12 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by desi08
NHL12 had some good things and bad things. Overall, I thought NHL11 was better. I recently got NHL09 for my PC and I can tell you the leap from NHL09 to NHL11/12 is unreal. If you haven't played the series in a while, I would recommend it.

Most of my gripes are just little things that are messed up in a small window of development, but playing a game a few years old has shown me this game has come a very long way for the best.
Funny, I loved 10, thought 11 was a step back in many ways, and 12 was pretty good. In many ways, 10 is still my favorite, though I do still play 12. I don't even have 11 anymore.

# 58 jyoung @ 07/26/12 02:46 PM
NHL 09 is still my favorite EA hockey game from this generation because it was the last version to not have any DLC player boosts, plus it had the correct 4 vs. 4 OT and shootout rules during OTP and EASHL games.

Since there were no attribute boosts back then, you couldn't get a bunch of your player ratings up to 99 like you've been able to since NHL 10.

The game played so much better online when everyone was stuck with realistic player ratings.

# 59 desi08 @ 07/26/12 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
NHL 09 is still my favorite EA hockey game from this generation because it was the last version to not have any DLC player boosts, plus it had the correct 4 vs. 4 OT and shootout rules during OTP and EASHL games.

Since there were no attribute boosts back then, you couldn't get a bunch of your player ratings up to 99 like you've been able to since NHL 10.

The game played so much better online when everyone was stuck with realistic player ratings.

can't argue with that at all. the EASHL has been the source of so much pleasure and anguish with this series since its inception. love it, but hate all the cheesing little glitchers. we have to sit there and scout to make sure we don't play teams with those 50% shooting percentage douches. infuriating.

# 60 Gagnon39 @ 07/26/12 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksss
The schedule for the 1st year is no problem because EA will just copy the schedule of for 2012-13. But the following year...EA should make an improvement in this area. There were games that I need to play 4 consecutive days..... WTH...NHL is not MLB.
Ha. I forgot about this ridiculous schedule thing. I hope this got addressed.

« Previous 123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.