Home
News Post

The penalties are in. In what was unprecedented and swift action against Penn State University (which Penn State fully agreed with), the NCAA did the following:

• Four Year Postseason Ban
  • Reduced Scholarships to 65 total over the next four years -- making Penn State a functional FCS team.
  • $60 million fine, or one year gross revenue from the football program.
  • Any player can freely transfer to another school without penalty.
  • All wins vacated from 1998 to 2011.
So what do you think? Did the NCAA go far enough in their penalties against Penn State?

Sound off!

Member Comments
# 41 jmood88 @ 07/23/12 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJetsfan
I don't like it for 1 reason and 1 reason only, but for anything that actually effects Penn State, mind you.

I don't like this because it will take away money from Inn Keepers, restaurant owners, gift shops, etc, etc. from around Happy Valley. You are punishing them for something that they had nothing to do with.
I'm really tired of seeing this "the punishment hurts innocent people" thing. That's not a valid argument for why the NCAA shouldn't act and they have no responsibility to think about the restaurants or hotels in happy valley when deciding on a punishment.

# 42 LowerWolf @ 07/23/12 10:56 AM
While I'm not shedding any tears for Penn State, I think the NCAA should have stayed out of it. This goes much, MUCH bigger than the NCAA.

# 43 moneal2001 @ 07/23/12 11:00 AM
i disagree with the way the punishment was handled. THey should have just taken money. My idea was to take 75% - 90% of the athletic program's profits for the next 5 years and donate it to sex abuse help programs. to get anything done in this business you gotta hit them in the wallet. that will get other program directors and presidents attention.

# 44 letsgopens66 @ 07/23/12 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcats302
I'm ok with it, would have liked to seen it even worse if possible.

And Penn State fans really should not even comment on this...you just come off looking arrogant and petty IMO. I do applaud the few Penn State fans who own up to this and say we deserved harsh terms because well, your program does deserve these terms and some.

So we can't comment on this because we don't agree with you? Cool.

But as for my take, I would've been fine with the $60 million donation and the vacating of wins. However, the scholarships and bowl bans were just to appeal to the public.

# 45 Wildcats302 @ 07/23/12 11:06 AM
You are too emotional, too close to the situation. If you would have been in charge nothing would have happened to your team. And you did gain an advantage with this being hidden for all those years. Everyone else can see that, but you Penn State fans can't.

What you did was much worse than USC and they got 2 years bowl ban...give me a break and spare us that "only to satisfy the public" crap.

# 46 jamie1981 @ 07/23/12 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgopens66

So we can't comment on this because we don't agree with you? Cool.

But as for my take, I would've been fine with the $60 million donation and the vacating of wins. However, the scholarships and bowl bans were just to appeal to the public.
Yeah the bowl bans were especially dumb. This team won't be bowl eligible in the next 4 years anyway.

Sent from my 1983 Motorola DynaTAC mobile phone

# 47 Perfect Zero @ 07/23/12 11:08 AM
If the NCAA were to over-extend their jurisdiction, this is probably the most reasonable outcome. This isn't the death penalty; not by a longshot. They are going to have a tough five to six years ahead, but they are still part of the Big Ten and they are still going to find a way to get recruits to play for them on a big stage. Furthermore, Pennsylvania State just became the underdog this morning with the news of sanctions (a rather unintended consequence considering what happened there). If anybody wants to wipe State College off the map, they aren't going to get that wish.

# 48 letsgopens66 @ 07/23/12 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcats302
You are too emotional, too close to the situation. If you would have been in charge nothing would have happened to your team. And you did gain an advantage with this being hidden for all those years. Everyone else can see that, but you Penn State fans can't.

What you did was much worse than USC and they got 2 years bowl ban...give me a break and spare us that "only to satisfy the public" crap.
Yep. Penn state fans were the only ones that were too emotional in this case. Your post really shows that.

# 49 supermanemblem @ 07/23/12 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf371
The sanctions were announced in cooperation with the Penn State administration. Due to that, there's really no problem with what the NCAA did.
There is a problem with this. The NCAA has set a precedent in which they can now punish schools for non-athletics related situations. The Sandusky cover up did not give PSU an advantage of the field, which is what NCAA bylaws are in place. The admin at PSU just wants this to go away, so they are catching every bullet shot at them for PR purposes. The school has suffered enough with the embarrassment and stigma.

# 50 Ramminyou @ 07/23/12 11:16 AM
Lions247‏ @ Lions247 Ross Douglas decommits from Penn State

The exodus is here.

# 51 ryan36 @ 07/23/12 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanemblem
Emmert wants to be Goddell. NCAA had no business in this, nor the Big Ten. This looks like Emmert went vigilante.
The other presidents approved this and to their credit so did PSU

# 52 Perfect Zero @ 07/23/12 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramminyou
Lions247‏ @ Lions247 Ross Douglas decommits from Penn State

The exodus is here.
How can there be an exodus when he was never there in the first place?

# 53 zanner @ 07/23/12 11:17 AM
Do people really care about Bowls and the # of bowls we have now. So many jokes are made by the amount of bowls and how ridiculous it is however a bowl ban now, some of you make it seem like that's burning down one of the endzones.

And for those thinking it should hit the wallet, the bowl ban does just that. They pay $60 mil and don't get payed extra by some bowl committee to help offset the $60 mil fine. So in a way it does hit their wallet.

And "hurting the kids who are innocent" and this about "kids who wanted to play for Penn State their whole life" ... Guess what, they get to play.. If they're huge Penn State fans, then no one is saying they can't goto Penn State and fullfill a dream. Nothing is stopping these kids from playing football this year or playing football at Penn State for years to come. Come on man, when a Kid is born he's not born with the god given right to be able to play at Penn State .. It's a privilege just as playing for any University or Institute is a privilege.

Just as coaching at any University or Institute is a privilege that carries huge responsibility to do the right thing. The athletes have an out, they can go elsewhere or remain. The fact is they're still getting school payed for and they're able to play football every saturday minus a bowl game.... It's not so bad, consider the young kids who were punished who had no say in their innocence taken away - Who just don't get that innocence back....

To me, NCAA has every right to make a judgement on this outside of the law making their criminal judgement. Penn State plays in the Big 10, they do not have to do that. They play in the NCAA, they don't have to be a part of the NCAA it's voluntary.

And because Penn State leaders and coaches didn't do the right thing, doesn't mean that NCAA can't do the right thing just because there's nothing explicitely outlining punishment in regards to coaches raping kids and a university covering it up for 10+ years because it would have affected a football program...

# 54 Perfect Zero @ 07/23/12 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan36
The other presidents approved this and to their credit so did PSU
What other option did they have?

# 55 Hova57 @ 07/23/12 11:19 AM
one thing being lost i think is that the university is being punished not just football program. the head coach , defensive coordinator , future coach , facilities bowl games , president , vice president and athletic director were all involved in a 10+ year cover up. if joe pa was still alive he would still incur the loss of record, see Bobby Bowden he was retired and still lost 14 games . We all know JoePa was running the show . He told president and athletic director to get off his step when they talked to him about retiring. He is the scapegoat for PSU right now its not right but its the way it is now

# 56 ryan36 @ 07/23/12 11:21 AM
Also, the fact PSU fans hate the bowl ban is good.

It means it hurts. It's supposed to hurt.

# 57 letsgopens66 @ 07/23/12 11:23 AM
Quote:

I'm glad it hurts where you want it the most: the fanbase. It means the NCAA really chose the "correct" punishment.

# 58 Dirty Turtles @ 07/23/12 11:23 AM
I keep reading people on my Facebook wall posting about how they wish they hadn't bought tickets to games, merchandise, etc. because Penn State will be terrible for the next couple of years. Anybody with that attitude at all was lying any time they said "we are Penn State."

# 59 ryan36 @ 07/23/12 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Zero
What other option did they have?
They could have fought. They finally didn't. I was giving them credit for taking a solid step and not dragging this out.

# 60 seasprite @ 07/23/12 11:26 AM
Quote:

Its supposed to hurt the fans?

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.