Home
News Post

Baseball? Not an Olympic Sport. Softball? Not an Olympic sport. Soccer? Only under 23 year olds play.

However, Synchronized Swimming? An Olympic Sport. Archery? An Olympic Sport. Non-rigged Boxing? Yep, an Olympic Sport.

What events would you add? Which would you take away, if any?

Sound off!

Member Comments
# 1 hogfanhw81 @ 07/24/12 07:36 PM
Baseball and Softball need to be put back in the Summer Olympics, although it appears that the earliest that is possible (if all the IOC's guidelines are followed) is 2020. The organization that governs international baseball said that they would not rush into getting approval to be an olympic sport, so we will see. I'm also excited that 2016 will see the return of golf as an olympic sport. And last since there is already judo and wrestling (and karate has been in the olympics), why not add MMA?

# 2 shadia147 @ 07/24/12 08:34 PM
I'd take the professionals out. Reinstate the old Soviet Union, East Germany and Communist China.
Put ABC and Jim McKay back in charge.

# 3 IlluminatusUIUC @ 07/24/12 11:30 PM
Dump pole vaulting. Why is that a sport anyways?

# 4 hurdinator @ 07/25/12 03:05 AM
This is radical. Take out all sports where there need to be judges to decide a winner. The Olympic events should have a clear first three. Yes, I know that means no boxing, diving, synchro swimming or gymnastics! Gymnastics! How are a bunch of 14 year old girls twirling ribbons on a sprung floor Olympic atheletes?

# 5 gigadkc @ 07/25/12 09:48 AM
I'm a big baseball fan but I'm actually glad it's no part of Olympia. The best players wouldn't play anyway, so who cares? That's the same reason why I think they should remove Football (Soccer). The best players aren't playing so who really cares about it?

I'd add Rugby, tbh I really don't know why Rugby isn't part of Olympia. It would be funny if some NFL players would be put together to compete for the US in the Rugby tournament. They would be ripped apart XD

btw: synchronized swimming, gymnastic and stuff like that isn't sports to me. At least not the kind of sport that should be part of Olympia. Get rid of that.

# 6 USNAggie44 @ 07/25/12 12:38 PM
Take out the Luge, its not a sport. Just point your tows, and your an olympic athlete!

# 7 yougo1000 @ 07/25/12 01:31 PM
I would add baseball again because it is a sport that is already recognized. While I recognize that it has its own world tournament, so does soccer.

# 8 ubernoob @ 07/25/12 11:17 PM
All these posts on gymnastics make me laugh.

One can clearly see these "little 14 year old girls twirling ribbons" are in way better shape than 99% of us, and have more coordination.

Maybe you should try actually watching the events, or if you're feeling brave trying out a front/backflip on a balance beam and let us know how it works out.

Synchronized swimming I'll agree with, while it does take skill... I'd rather see baseball/softball in there.

While I'm at it... Table tennis?! While fun, and can be played at a high level, just no.

# 9 Bmore Irish @ 07/26/12 03:37 PM
LACROSSE. Lacrosse. lacrosse. oh and it may be a bit off topic, but i think it was a little out of line for the Greek triple jumper to have been banned so quickly this year. I mean at least appear as though you have put some thought and consideration into the decision rather than immediately caving to perceived public opinion in your own country, not even the world. what she said can hardly even be described as racist. inappropriate? sure. racist?idk about that one, its a tough call though since it could easily be taken that way. she's gorgeous from what i've seen too. but i dont see why anyone would say get rid of gymnastics; gymnasts do things that a lot of ppl couldnt on any level. i agree baseball and softball would be great too.

# 10 ImTellinTim @ 07/26/12 04:46 PM
I always find it funny when people dump on a sport when they clearly don't have an understanding of it.

# 11 DrJones @ 07/26/12 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigadkc
I'm a big baseball fan but I'm actually glad it's no part of Olympia. The best players wouldn't play anyway, so who cares? That's the same reason why I think they should remove Football (Soccer). The best players aren't playing so who really cares about it?

I'd add Rugby, tbh I really don't know why Rugby isn't part of Olympia. It would be funny if some NFL players would be put together to compete for the US in the Rugby tournament. They would be ripped apart XD

btw: synchronized swimming, gymnastic and stuff like that isn't sports to me. At least not the kind of sport that should be part of Olympia. Get rid of that.
Pretty sure Rugby 7's will be in the 2016 Olympics.

# 12 DrJones @ 07/26/12 10:10 PM
Agree with those who think MMA and lacrosse should be added. Glad that golf is coming in 2016. I'd also be in favour of baseball being reinstated under soccer-like restrictions (3 players allowed over the age of 22; sorry, Cuba), since the timing will never work for MLB participation. I find women's softball to be deadly boring (far too dominated by pitching), but to each their own: put it back in. I don't have a problem with judged sports per se, but judges should be heavily scrutinized to weed out bias and corruption.

As far as the amateur-vs-professional thing, I'm in favour of the best being there whenever possible, an obvious exception being soccer, because World Cup > Olympics. An awful lot of Olympic athletes that people assume are "amateur" (track-and-field, skiing, snowboarding, etc.) make good money for doing what they do, just not in sports that North Americans associate with being "professional" (ie, team sports, tennis, golf).

# 13 ImTellinTim @ 07/26/12 11:46 PM
I'm not sure lacrosse has enough worldwide participation.

And yes, rugby sevens will be in as of 2016.

# 14 jhendricks316 @ 07/28/12 11:58 AM
I would have a live Opening Ceremony. NBC could have easily aired the event live during the afternoon and still replay it. Instead, the US broadcast went on in the evening, acting like it hadn't happened yet.

# 15 Bdubb @ 07/29/12 12:44 PM
Five on five dodgeball would be glorious.

# 16 ImTellinTim @ 07/30/12 10:00 AM
Here's something they should definitely take out: equestrian. It's a little ridiculous that dressage is part of the Olympics.

# 17 dickey1331 @ 07/31/12 07:47 PM
I wouldnt take anything away. Id add Baseball/Softball, Lacrosse, Football (I wish). I would add Tug-Of-War back. I think that would be fun.

# 18 SuperBowlNachos @ 08/05/12 05:29 PM
I was going to say tug of war too. I think they had it at the original olympic games.

# 19 jb12780 @ 08/05/12 10:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigadkc

Rugby 7's will be in Rio in 2016.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.