Home
NBA 2K13 News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

As mentioned yesterday, 2K Sports has officially announced Jay-Z as the as Executive Producer of NBA 2K13. 2K Sports has been promoting this "BIG" announcement for weeks.

In an article, over at ESPN, Jon Robinson describes some of the details he brings to the game.

Quote:
Carter has not only personally selected the game’s 24-song soundtrack, but he’s also been working with 2K designers on the overall look and feel of the game’s presentation.

24 Song Soundtrack includes:
  • The Hours: “All in the Jungle”
  • Too Short: "Blow the Whistle" (Main)
  • Eric B. and Rakim: “I Ain’t No Joke”
  • Phoenix: “1901”
  • Jay-Z: “Pump it Up” (Freestyle)
  • Puff Daddy and the Family: “Victory” (feat. Notorious B.I.G. & Busta Rhymes)
  • Daft Punk: “Around the World" (Radio Edit)
  • Santigold: “Shove It” (feat. Spank Rock)
  • Kanye West: “Amazing”
  • Jay-Z: “Run This Town”
  • The Dirty Projectors: “Stillness in the Move”
  • Nas: “The World is Yours”
  • Coldplay: “Viva La Vida”
  • Roy Ayers: “We Live in Brooklyn, Baby”
  • Justice: “Stress”
  • Jay-Z: “The Bounce”
  • Kanye West: “We Major” (feat. Nas & Really Doe)
  • Mobb Deep: “Shook Ones, Pt. II”
  • Meek Mill: “Ima Boss” (Instrumental)
  • Kanye West: “Mercy” (feat. Big Sean, Pusha T, and 2 Chainz)
  • U2: “Elevation”
  • Jay-Z: “On to the Next One”
  • Jay-Z: “Public Service Announcement”
  • Jay-Z: “H.A.M.” (Instrumental)
If you're interested in listening to some of the tracks, head on over to the official NBA 2K Facebook page.

Game: NBA 2K13Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 75 - View All
NBA 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 LD2k @ 07/31/12 08:06 PM
This, as you can read from the article, is much more than a soundtrack. Skeptics will quickly see how innovative the integration is.

Also, from the ESPN article.

Quote:
“This is obviously a big, big announcement for 2K Sports, but this is just the first announcement for ‘NBA 2K13.’ Everything from the feature set to the gameplay has taken another giant, incredible leap forward.”
We're eager to share all the improvements in the near future. I think you guys will be quite pleased. Dev's have been all over the gameplay; and as we learned from the E3 Kotaku article, their work on 2K13 began the next day after 2K12 released.

# 22 Altimus @ 07/31/12 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EaglesFan1825
Well, you would think a companys biggest announcement in NBA 2K history would involve the gameplay or game modes. On the other hand that is one amazing soundtrack.
Yes, one would think but it's 2K... we go through these motions every year.

# 23 kjjnesb @ 07/31/12 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LD2k
This, as you can read from the article, is much more than a soundtrack. Skeptics will quickly see how innovative the integration is.

We're eager to share all the improvements in the near future. I think you guys will be quite pleased. Dev's have been all over the gameplay; and as we learned from the E3 Kotaku article, their work on 2K13 was the next day after 2K12 released.
First thing I thought was the pregame packages and arena music and such.

# 24 Canquain @ 07/31/12 08:07 PM
This is amazing 2K13 is in good hands!

# 25 Granted @ 07/31/12 08:09 PM
Poor job my 2K marketing. Has this just been announced today with no "big announcement" hype then the reaction, almost certainly, would have been positive.

# 26 miller31time @ 07/31/12 08:10 PM
Ever wonder what it would be like if 2K controlled your facebook/twitter account?

1 month ago -- "I have a big announcement, guys. Will post about it in the next couple weeks!"

2 days ago -- "Big announcement is coming. It's going to affect all of you. Seriously, my friendship with all of you will change dramatically!"

1 hour ago -- "Here it is, guys. This afternoon I ate at Burger King! Stay tuned for digestive details in the hours ahead."

# 27 Eman5805 @ 07/31/12 08:12 PM
Daft Punk? Okay. I'm not as underwhelmed.

# 28 King_B_Mack @ 07/31/12 08:13 PM
That is an awesome soundtrack and I'm glad my favorite artist is involved with 2K. However as I said before, I'm disappointed that 2K ruined the impact that this announcement should've had if they hadn't set it up to fail with that hype about a month ago.

Good job, poor execution 2K.

# 29 Gman 18 @ 07/31/12 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LD2k

We're eager to share all the improvements in the near future. I think you guys will be quite pleased. Dev's have been all over the gameplay; and as we learned from the E3 Kotaku article, their work on 2K13 began the next day after 2K12 released.
Do you work for 2k?

# 30 bcruise @ 07/31/12 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman 18
Do you work for 2k?
LD2k
2K Sports Social Media Coordinator

# 31 yungsta404 @ 07/31/12 08:17 PM
I like jayz well the older jayz but 2k for the love of god please dont hype something like track listing just because it was chosen by a big time rapper.

# 32 24 @ 07/31/12 08:18 PM
Once again I am frustrated with the massive hype that 2k put into this over a soundtrack "produced by Jay-Z". When you say "Biggest announcement in the history of the company" we the customers are expecting something of a certain magnitude. NFL 2k coming back would be an example, hell even a new exclusive game mode that has never been done before would have been fine. Yes I admit the soundtrack is very good but the extreme buildup has gotten me pretty angry when this is the result. I'm Not trying to offend anyone nor am I stating that the game itself will be bad, all I'm saying is what can I expect the next time 2k has a new "biggest announcement"?

# 33 RidirkulousPokes @ 07/31/12 08:19 PM
This is absolutely pathetic.

I understand he will be integrated into the game more than the soundtrack, but give me a break.

You can sit here with a straight face and tell me the biggest announcement in franchise history is a hip-hop legend picking the game soundtrack and having a part in an already quality presentation?

That's absurd.

Worse execution on a marketing ploy than EA....and that says a lot.

# 34 huntt26 @ 07/31/12 08:20 PM
Show us more so we can put away the torches!!!

# 35 stillfeelme @ 07/31/12 08:21 PM
This is only part of the announcement. I am expecting a whole new mode perhaps a franchise or a new layer in myplayer with Jay's involvement where you can go from Myplayer the player to my player the owner. Jay-z isn't just selecting a soundtrack and say poof yall are good 2K.

# 36 morningstar777 @ 07/31/12 08:21 PM
By the way, I have ALL of these songs in my iTunes already. Started working on 2K13 the day after 2K12 released? Ok, so that explains why 2K12 was so buggy with no fix for months after release. Jay Z ain't gonna be a savior to the franchise if the game is poor.

# 37 blackcaliber2k9 @ 07/31/12 08:31 PM
Jay Z is cool and all, but let me congratulate 2K Sports for the "Biggest Disappointment in NBA 2K History". This is what one would call Fail, right

# 38 LD2k @ 07/31/12 08:32 PM
Again, I will clarify it's more than simply a soundtrack. We'll be detailing more in the future.

# 39 jersez @ 07/31/12 08:33 PM
2k feeding us the hype........ 2k is obviously the guy in the purple

# 40 aholbert32 @ 07/31/12 08:35 PM
LOL @ people who called the hype "massive". I read two things about this announcement: Ronnie 2k calling it a big announcement and one of the 2k executives calling it "one of the biggest announcements in 2k history." Thats it.

OSers made the hype massive by speculating that it was everything from the return of NFL 2k to some type of College Hoops integration. We ran with it and now are disappointed because its something less than we expected. Thats not 2ks fault. This is a big announcement but just not what most wanted.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.