Home
NBA 2K13 News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

As mentioned yesterday, 2K Sports has officially announced Jay-Z as the as Executive Producer of NBA 2K13. 2K Sports has been promoting this "BIG" announcement for weeks.

In an article, over at ESPN, Jon Robinson describes some of the details he brings to the game.

Quote:
Carter has not only personally selected the game’s 24-song soundtrack, but he’s also been working with 2K designers on the overall look and feel of the game’s presentation.

24 Song Soundtrack includes:
  • The Hours: “All in the Jungle”
  • Too Short: "Blow the Whistle" (Main)
  • Eric B. and Rakim: “I Ain’t No Joke”
  • Phoenix: “1901”
  • Jay-Z: “Pump it Up” (Freestyle)
  • Puff Daddy and the Family: “Victory” (feat. Notorious B.I.G. & Busta Rhymes)
  • Daft Punk: “Around the World" (Radio Edit)
  • Santigold: “Shove It” (feat. Spank Rock)
  • Kanye West: “Amazing”
  • Jay-Z: “Run This Town”
  • The Dirty Projectors: “Stillness in the Move”
  • Nas: “The World is Yours”
  • Coldplay: “Viva La Vida”
  • Roy Ayers: “We Live in Brooklyn, Baby”
  • Justice: “Stress”
  • Jay-Z: “The Bounce”
  • Kanye West: “We Major” (feat. Nas & Really Doe)
  • Mobb Deep: “Shook Ones, Pt. II”
  • Meek Mill: “Ima Boss” (Instrumental)
  • Kanye West: “Mercy” (feat. Big Sean, Pusha T, and 2 Chainz)
  • U2: “Elevation”
  • Jay-Z: “On to the Next One”
  • Jay-Z: “Public Service Announcement”
  • Jay-Z: “H.A.M.” (Instrumental)
If you're interested in listening to some of the tracks, head on over to the official NBA 2K Facebook page.

Game: NBA 2K13Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 75 - View All
NBA 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 ProfessaPackMan @ 07/31/12 09:30 PM
Judging from this thread, alot of you are upset at the wrong person or in this case, company.

# 102 jd@os @ 07/31/12 09:30 PM
I read through 6 pages of this thread before posting this but I didn't see the answer to my question (and it's not rhetorical):

If this is THE announcement, then what makes this "one of the biggest announcements in 2k history"?

2K, you can't say, "Oh wait--there's more to come!" No--THIS is THE announcement. Of course there's more to the game, but THIS is THE announcement.

It's kind of like me telling my family I have a HUGE announcement, and when I tell them I'm getting married, they say ok; then I tell them I got a promotion, and they say ok; then I tell them I won the lottery, and they jumped up and down. See what I did there? The marriage was THE announcement, but when I saw there lackluster response, I just kept adding more to it.

Don't ban me for this, but I really want to know what makes THIS "one of the biggest announcements in 2k history"?

# 103 JSensui @ 07/31/12 09:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
that's their own fault then

The job of 2k's marketing team is to market the game, generate buzz, generate headlines. A partnership with Jay Z is going to generate buzz. They now have Jay Z who is going to be hyping up the game, doing publicity, probably show up on Sportscenter at some point to market the game.

There's 7 months until the game comes out. To jump off the boat over something like this is a little much.

Those that are saying, well this was supposed to be a big announcement, again it is! Not in the eyes of a hardcore gamer who wants footplanting, RTP, etc. in terms of gameplay. But like i've explained many times, they now have one of the most famous rappers ever as well as a minority owner of an NBA team working on the game/presentation with them. That's a major announcement to anyone outside of being a hardcore gamer.

You hold your breath with NBA Live, i'll enjoy NBA 2k.
1. 7 Weeks.

2. It's all well and good that they're hyping the game, but still, there IS such a thing as overkill. Is anyone NOT going to buy the game over this? No, most likely not....But still, it gets very annoying. People aren't exactly fuming at this news. We're just annoyed, in a "pfft....typical" kind of sense.

3. True basketball fans don't care about the franchise name. 2k needs some competition. I'm sure you agree?

# 104 J_Posse @ 07/31/12 09:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by liberaluser
One thing that really pops out at me is how bad the non-rap track list is. Not even bad bands but bad song choices.

I love daft punk but they pick the most played-out song instead of a daft punk song most of us have never heard on the radio before. Would have liked some surprising choices that would suggest that Jigga DUG DEEP on th track list, but literally anybody at the 2K office could have picked this song list, it's generic as hell.
Probably was a clearance issue. These songs ain't cheap to get the publishing and clearances for. It is likely easier to get "known" songs cleared than uber-rare releases from artists.

****, THQ is having that issue with WWE '13 and that information should all be in house.

People need to read the article and look at the big picture.

Quote:
At 2K Sports, we want to transcend just being a video game and be a solid entertainment product with basketball at its core,” said Jason Argent, vice president of marketing for 2K Sports, when I asked him about Jay-Z’s involvement in the game. “This game has gotten so amazingly good from a gameplay standpoint, that we got together and asked what we could do to add to that, to support, and package around an already amazing game. We wanted to talk to people who were authentic to the sport of basketball, but also authentic to the world of entertainment and music and culture. Every time we sat down to make our lists, one guy kept rising to the top, and that’s Jay-Z.”

“We actually got more collaborative involvement than I ever could’ve imagined,” said Argent as he broke down hour-long sessions with the development team sitting down with Jay-Z inside his New York office. “Jay has called at eight o’clock at night asking questions and telling us about some of his ideas that he wanted to put in the game. He’s very engaged with this, from the look to the feel to the flow to the creative presentation of the game. Jay wanted the experience from as soon as you load the game to feel like something he did and was something he was involved with. He was focused with everything off the court

“This is obviously a big, big announcement for 2K Sports, but this is just the first announcement for ‘NBA 2K13.’ Everything from the feature set to the gameplay has taken another giant, incredible leap forward.”

“This has been a unique opportunity to collaborate with 2K Sports and be a part of one of the best sports video games in history. ‘NBA 2K13’ will be the next evolution in sports and basketball culture, and I’m ready to usher in the new era of the franchise.”
Now, that could all be more hyping and marketing speak, but I seriously doubt all of it is. ****, it's almost August and the other game hasn't even announced a cover athlete yet (not trying to make this a versus thread).

# 105 youvalss @ 07/31/12 09:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
Judging from this thread, alot of you are upset at the wrong person or in this case, company.
Why?

Spoiler

# 106 gausec @ 07/31/12 09:34 PM
People keep saying man this is just music.. No read it, it says its also presentation, and other areas. Jay is a big basketball fan so do I feel disappointed? Yes slightly but there are worse moves to make.

# 107 daytonanerd @ 07/31/12 09:34 PM
I would hope 2K acknowledges OSers and says what impact Jay-Z has on the game besides music ASAP. Otherwise, I see some OSers producing gore in California.

# 108 King_B_Mack @ 07/31/12 09:34 PM
So getting off how big this announcement should be considered. I have to wonder. What do you guys think will be the intro song for the game this year? I'm sure it will be one of the Jay-Z tracks but which one? Maybe the HAM instrumental or the Pump It freestyle?

# 109 Gman 18 @ 07/31/12 09:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
What do you mean?

# 110 aholbert32 @ 07/31/12 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersez
BUt this isn't even trending on twitter, so it failed bottom line. My thing is this, the casual consumer doesn't check for the game till the demo is released. They don't watch E3 or search for 2k13 ish daily. Basically the only people that care about the game now are the hardcore fans. Which is guaranteed bread, if you announce a couple things. I bet madden 13 is going to sell like crazy because of rtp.

I never said I was disappointed. I like it, it's just not the biggest thing in 2k history. Michael Jordan being the cover athlete on 2k11 was the biggest announcement in sports video game history, so this can't even compare to that announcement. Bottom line this is 2k's on doing.

\

But AGAIN this isn't even buzzing, lol it's not trending. 2k is basically asking people to advertise their game right now, with #NBA2KJAYZ.

If you know anything of twitter, trending topics, just trend. You shouldn't have to request people use your hashtag, if it's buzzing it's buzzing. I agree that 2k13 will get some extra advertising just for having jay-z name on it. But that can go with any product that is endorsed by Jay.

LOL!!! Madden is gonna sell more with casual fans because of RTP!? Wow. You have no clue how video game sales work...especially to casual fans. RTP isnt even the feature that Madden is pushing the most. That would be CCM. Hardcore fans care about physics. Casual fans appreciate it but it isnt why they buy a game.

I'll drop it because it doesnt really matter. The Jay-Z announcement is getting coverage on non-video game sites and thats what 2k wanted. Its a success in their eyes.

# 111 TreyIM2 @ 07/31/12 09:37 PM
... ... ...

# 112 aholbert32 @ 07/31/12 09:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonanerd
I would hope 2K acknowledges OSers and says what impact Jay-Z has on the game besides music ASAP. Otherwise, I see some OSers producing gore in California.
If I was 2k I wouldnt even respond. Most of the people in here complaining will still buy the game. Alot will change their tune after the gameplay related announcement. This "backlash" wouldnt change my approach at all if I was 2k.

# 113 jersez @ 07/31/12 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_B_Mack
Seriously though man, I'm honestly sick of hearing about real time physics. How many people that are casual gamers actually know what RTP do in order to make that a huge announcement?
I was using rtp as a example, Jesus Christ. How many people are making this a trending topic barely anyone. Please fully read my post before replying because obliviously I need to say this in simple terms.

1. I'm not arguing marketing, I'm stating the fact that jay-z does nothing for this game but sell it. At the end of the day, this means nothing.

2. Nobody is expecting gameplay announcements in august, I'm simply saying that huge gameplay additions are should be announced, I never said Advertised.

3. This is not a disappointment, but isn't worthy of such hype. That's all it is a worthy announcement just not the hype.

those are my points. Got damn

# 114 youvalss @ 07/31/12 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyIM2
... ... ...
Not everyone is proficient with morse. Always post the legend.

# 115 J_Posse @ 07/31/12 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSensui
I do wonder if this will have a negative effect on 2K's reputation. After this, will people trust 2K anymore? What happens if EA takes this opportunity to give them a huge scare?

Very interested in seeing what happens in the next few weeks...

Yeah, the game that doesn't have a cover athlete and had the last one (Durant) bail on them. They need to prove that they can even release a game first.................

# 116 JSensui @ 07/31/12 09:40 PM
Quote:
you guys think the few people that go to OS to talk about 2k have a louder voice and bigger impact than you really do. Partnering with Jay Z will have a positive impact on their reputation not negative. There is nothing negative about this other than you didn't get some gameplay announcement.
Of course I'm not talking about some fan that really only checks up on the game in September. I'm talking about people on OS. What do I care about some casual fan?

And shoot, you never know. The Internet is a powerful tool. If people start hyping Live's gameplay over 2k's...How much would the soundtrack matter?

# 117 stillfeelme @ 07/31/12 09:41 PM
Quote:
Again, what is going to generate more buzz and headlines... announcing real time physics or announcing one of the most famous rappers in the world/ part owner of an NBA franchise is helping? You guys are thinking from the mindset of a hardcore gamer. That's stuff they can announce later but won't generate many headlines outside of hardcore gamers.

As i type this a Jay Z Budweiser commercial is playing
2K is thinking outside the box with this one. I think this is part of the bait that can reel in more casual fans. What person in the entertainment field can bring credibility to entertainment and basketball at the same time without it looking forced. This list is very short and how many in that list are affilated with a NBA franchise. Jay-z is a combo of street cred, pop cred (casual approved, Ophrah,) and business approved. What people forget is although this is a sim basketball game it is still entertainment just like the NBA is a sport but it is entertainment from us the fans. Then you add that hip hop and basketball go hand in hand poof you get Jay-z.

I don't think 2K is leaving us hardcore gameplay Sim heads out to dry. LD2K already mentioned it. You don't market gameplay improvements as announcements because that is not going to draw a buzz. The gameplay is the backbone and will not be revealed until later on based off what 2K has done in the past. I don't see that changing. I am actually interested in what new game modes are brought in by having Jay-z

# 118 JSensui @ 07/31/12 09:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Posse512

Yeah, the game that doesn't have a cover athlete and had the last one (Durant) bail on them. They need to prove that they can even release a game first.................
I LOVE Bill Cosby, bro!

I'm just speculating. Chill out. Who knows what's going on with that game now?

# 119 sactown_13 @ 07/31/12 09:42 PM
love shook ones pt 2. one of the best beats ever made

# 120 ProfessaPackMan @ 07/31/12 09:44 PM
I see they got the right Nas song on there.

Surprised they didn't add "Brooklyn, We Go Hard" on there as that would've been PERFECT, especially for the Nets when they play it in Barclays.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.