Home
NBA 2K13 News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

As mentioned yesterday, 2K Sports has officially announced Jay-Z as the as Executive Producer of NBA 2K13. 2K Sports has been promoting this "BIG" announcement for weeks.

In an article, over at ESPN, Jon Robinson describes some of the details he brings to the game.

Quote:
Carter has not only personally selected the game’s 24-song soundtrack, but he’s also been working with 2K designers on the overall look and feel of the game’s presentation.

24 Song Soundtrack includes:
  • The Hours: “All in the Jungle”
  • Too Short: "Blow the Whistle" (Main)
  • Eric B. and Rakim: “I Ain’t No Joke”
  • Phoenix: “1901”
  • Jay-Z: “Pump it Up” (Freestyle)
  • Puff Daddy and the Family: “Victory” (feat. Notorious B.I.G. & Busta Rhymes)
  • Daft Punk: “Around the World" (Radio Edit)
  • Santigold: “Shove It” (feat. Spank Rock)
  • Kanye West: “Amazing”
  • Jay-Z: “Run This Town”
  • The Dirty Projectors: “Stillness in the Move”
  • Nas: “The World is Yours”
  • Coldplay: “Viva La Vida”
  • Roy Ayers: “We Live in Brooklyn, Baby”
  • Justice: “Stress”
  • Jay-Z: “The Bounce”
  • Kanye West: “We Major” (feat. Nas & Really Doe)
  • Mobb Deep: “Shook Ones, Pt. II”
  • Meek Mill: “Ima Boss” (Instrumental)
  • Kanye West: “Mercy” (feat. Big Sean, Pusha T, and 2 Chainz)
  • U2: “Elevation”
  • Jay-Z: “On to the Next One”
  • Jay-Z: “Public Service Announcement”
  • Jay-Z: “H.A.M.” (Instrumental)
If you're interested in listening to some of the tracks, head on over to the official NBA 2K Facebook page.

Game: NBA 2K13Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 75 - View All
NBA 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 jersez @ 07/31/12 09:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
LOL!!! Madden is gonna sell more with casual fans because of RTP!? Wow. You have no clue how video game sales work...especially to casual fans. RTP isnt even the feature that Madden is pushing the most. That would be CCM. Hardcore fans care about physics. Casual fans appreciate it but it isnt why they buy a game.

I'll drop it because it doesnt really matter. The Jay-Z announcement is getting coverage on non-video game sites and thats what 2k wanted. Its a success in their eyes.
Lawd take me now..... I wasn't specific. Madden already has the casual gamers in the bag, but rtp is what's going to suck the people still playing 2k5, apf 2k8. It's going to draw back the audience they've lost over the years, it's going to get the people that just hate EA. That's what I meant.

I'm on twitter right now and nobody cares or knows, my point is the casual fan, isn't even looking at 2k13 right now. Like I said if you throw jay-z name on anything it will spark interest, this isn't about marketing it's about the hype and whether or not this was worth the hype. This isn't even an argument it's just the fact, that your not understanding my point.

# 122 JoSiiF @ 07/31/12 09:48 PM
Thank god for jay-z, kind of ironic cause jay-z is supposedly in with the Illuminati but he is a musical genious haha the soundtrack last year was beyond terrible and these new tracks are sick, good pick up 2k

# 123 swac07 @ 07/31/12 09:50 PM

Folks are really getting upset with 2k over this.....LMAOOOOO

This announcement was for the casual gamer,jay-z fans etc....lol Be patient gameplay details will be here soon....

folks are really jumping the gun...lol

# 124 H to the Oza @ 07/31/12 09:50 PM
this is awesome. pump it up freestyle is one of my faves

# 125 VDusen04 @ 07/31/12 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_B_Mack
For me personally I say again, I'm disappointed because if Argent didn't say this was the biggest announcement in NBA2K and 2K Sports history, this announcement is met with the respect it deserves. Obviously you'd have that crowd of dudes that bitch at everything that comes out that isn't specifically gameplay related but the overall reception of this is positive without that line.
Right on. I'm with you 100% on this one. I didn't really have my hopes up, but I will say one of the 2K employees stating something along the lines of the impending announcement being arguably the biggest in the history of 2K certainly piqued my curiosity. Unfortunately, suggesting one of the biggest announcements in the history of 2K then coming forth with a soundtrack reveal will inevitably create a ton of backlash and disappointment.

On the flip side, as you said, had no outrageous quotes come to the surface and no outlandish hype created weeks in advance, I think this news would have been welcomed with open arms from fans and gamers. I definitely prefer marketing teams (of any product) providing honesty over building blind hype. And I'm sure it's a matter of companies weighing whether the buzz created outweighs the misguided hype, but I'd just like lose the inane buzz building and have company folks be real throughout the process.

Again, to reaffirm, I'm excited to hear about all the announcements that will be forthcoming about NBA2K13. If every other year of NBA2K's release is any indication, information will get meatier and meatier as we near release. I could just do without all the Twitter buzz attempts and general overhyping and whatnot.

# 126 liberaluser @ 07/31/12 09:52 PM
We needed more "classic" 80s/90s tracks on here like the Nas one.

# 127 barimanlhs @ 07/31/12 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by swac07

Folks are really getting upset with 2k over this.....LMAOOOOO

This announcement was for the casual gamer,jay-z fans etc....lol Be patient gameplay details will be here soon....

folks are really jumping the gun...lol
Thats the downside of being a "hardcore" gamer lol UNLESS any and all news pertains to gameplay, nothing else matters or is important and will ultimately underwhelm.

This is a HUGE announcement for the 2k franchise, regardless of what the hardcore fan says. It will bring in a LOT of new players to this franchise. Everything else is icing on the cake now.

Just think if they added real time physics too! Man o man, that would be epic

# 128 RidirkulousPokes @ 07/31/12 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
Right on. I'm with you 100% on this one. I didn't really have my hopes up, but I will say one of the 2K employees stating something along the lines of the impending announcement being arguably the biggest in the history of 2K certainly piqued my curiosity. Unfortunately, suggesting one of the biggest announcements in the history of 2K then coming forth with a soundtrack reveal will inevitably create a ton of backlash and disappointment.

On the flip side, as you said, had no outrageous quotes come to the surface and no outlandish hype created weeks in advance, I think this news would have been welcomed with welcoming open arms from fans and gamers. I definitely prefer marketing teams (of any product) providing honesty over building blind hype. And I'm sure it's a matter of companies weighing whether the buzz created outweighs the misguided hype, but I'd just like lose the inane buzz building and have company folks be real throughout the process.

Again, to reaffirm, I'm excited to hear about all the announcements that will be forthcoming about NBA2K13. If every other year of NBA2K's release is any indication, information will get meatier and meatier as we near release. I could just do without all the Twitter buzz attempts and general overhyping and whatnot.
Best, most logical post of this entire thread.

# 129 JSensui @ 07/31/12 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
In order to hype up Live's gameplay you need to actually SEE Live's gameplay. We've gotten nothing from EA with Live. Our lasting memories of EA's basketball is that god awful video we all saw which helped lead to them scrapping the game altogether.
Uh..yeah, exactly. That's why I'm not saying it will definitely happen. Once again...speculating. I haven't played Live in years myself. I'm just saying I'm anxious to see if EA has any sort of response to this.

I mean, like you said. Us little people on OS don't mean anything. Why bother defending 2k here?

# 130 JSensui @ 07/31/12 09:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04

On the flip side, as you said, had no outrageous quotes come to the surface and no outlandish hype created weeks in advance, I think this news would have been welcomed with welcoming open arms from fans and gamers. I definitely prefer marketing teams (of any product) providing honesty over building blind hype. And I'm sure it's a matter of companies weighing whether the buzz created outweighs the misguided hype, but I'd just like lose the inane buzz building and have company folks be real throughout the process.

THANK YOU. Great post. No one is saying that 2k13 is going to be a bad game at all. Just disappointed with the announcement.

# 131 Rasco11 @ 07/31/12 09:56 PM
As an Executive Purchaser of NBA 2K13, I am most concerned over hearing that gameplay was an emphasis and was addressed day one after 2k12 came out...have we all not watched the "one" (and only) gameplay (gametrailers) vid that aired during or right before E3 and the Finals?!? Hoping that was bogus evidence of the "new and improved" gameplay!!! Looking forward to even "huger" announcements to come...

# 132 King_B_Mack @ 07/31/12 09:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersez
I was using rtp as a example, Jesus Christ. How many people are making this a trending topic barely anyone. Please fully read my post before replying because obliviously I need to say this in simple terms.

1. I'm not arguing marketing, I'm stating the fact that jay-z does nothing for this game but sell it. At the end of the day, this means nothing.

C'mon now son. One of the announcements we were all hoping for was the return of a series that is currently taking a dirt nap because of a lack of sales and then you post this? Means nothing at the end of the day? If Jay-Z is going to sell copies of the game then at the very least it means we don't have to worry about 2K basketball going the way of College Hoops or MLB 2K anytime soon.

# 133 stillfeelme @ 07/31/12 09:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sactown_13
love shook ones pt 2. one of the best beats ever made

Yeah was used in the playoffs last season. Probably one of the reasons it is in the game

# 134 ProfessaPackMan @ 07/31/12 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
LOL @ people who called the hype "massive". I read two things about this announcement: Ronnie 2k calling it a big announcement and one of the 2k executives calling it "one of the biggest announcements in 2k history." Thats it.

OSers made the hype massive by speculating that it was everything from the return of NFL 2k to some type of College Hoops integration. We ran with it and now are disappointed because its something less than we expected. Thats not 2ks fault. This is a big announcement but just not what most wanted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by youvalss
Why?

Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman 18
What do you mean?
The bolded part in Aholbert's post hits it on the head.

But apparently some people here think 2K is only supposed to market it's game for the "Sim" Heads, not the Casuals and this was an announcement that was clearly for the Casuals and not the "Sim" Heads and now the "Sim" Heads are upset because they didn't get any news about footplanting or RTP or Atmosphere, etc.

Like other posters have said, the game is still 7 weeks away. Do ya'll REALLY think you're not going to get any more news on the gameplay between now and then?

# 135 Rasco11 @ 07/31/12 10:01 PM
No Flo Rida "wild ones"? (sarcasm)

# 136 videobastard @ 07/31/12 10:01 PM

More Big announcements coming.

# 137 jersez @ 07/31/12 10:03 PM
Quote:
Every single one of your points are ridiculous

1. Jay Z does nothing for the game except sell it. Ignoring the fact that it's not true and that they've said he is doing more, isn't selling the game what's important to them? Then it seems like bringing Jay Z in is a smart move.

2. Nobody is expecting gameplay announcements in August? Could have fooled me since all i keep reading in this thread is complaining that this announcement wasn't about footplanting, RTP or some other gameplay improvement.

3. It's not worthy of the hype? Bringing in one of the most recognizable, famous and best rappers of ALL TIME to help work on your game isn't worth hype?

Clearly you're out of touch.

In order to hype up Live's gameplay you need to actually SEE Live's gameplay. We've gotten nothing from EA with Live. Our lasting memories of EA's basketball is that god awful video we all saw which helped lead to them scrapping the game altogether.

Not to mention 2k isn't just working on a new soundtrack and giving you the same game as last year.
What's ridicules is you continuing to reply to post you don't even understand.

1. I never said bringing jay-z in wasn't a smart move, please read.
2. Again there is a difference between announcing something and advertising something. "Nobody is expecting gameplay announcements in August? Could have fooled me since all i keep reading in this thread is complaining that this announcement wasn't about footplanting, RTP or some other gameplay improvement". I don't even have a response for this. It's just ******** response.
3. Again I stated in a previous post, this wasn't the biggest announcement in 2k history. Announcing Michael Jordan was. Especially since we've already knew jay-z is executive producing the game. So yes this isn't hype worth imo.

Please don't even reply to me, it's clear that we will not agree and it's a waste of time.

# 138 jersez @ 07/31/12 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_B_Mack

C'mon now son. One of the announcements we were all hoping for was the return of a series that is currently taking a dirt nap because of a lack of sales and then you post this? Means nothing at the end of the day? If Jay-Z is going to sell copies of the game then at the very least it means we don't have to worry about 2K basketball going the way of College Hoops or MLB 2K anytime soon.
True... but I didn't mean like that. I mean it as he will not fix the gameplay issues. That's what I mean.

# 139 MarvellousOne @ 07/31/12 10:05 PM
This news is pretty lukewarm to me, the soundtrack announcement is ok I guess I'll more than likely be muting the music after I play the game a few times anyway. Jay-Z being the Executive Producer of 2K....yeah ok I guess. This helps 2K gain more interest with there game, so it's Huge news for them...but I still think the return of M.J. was much bigger news than this personally but it's whatever.

# 140 jersez @ 07/31/12 10:07 PM
Quote:
again, there's that little thing called THE OLYMPICS going on right now. Kind of puts a shadow on everything.

And Madden you have it completely wrong. Madden already has the hardcore gamer locked in. They know that person who bought the game last year, and the year before, and the year before are going to buy the game again. But if they can put something in the game that's going to make someone walking by stop and say, hey that looks cool i should pick that up, then thats what they want. It's the casual gamer they need to get every year, that's whey they're called CASUAL gamers. Someone who might not buy NBA 2k walking by, picks up the box and reads about Real Time Physics, they don't know what that means or how that impacts the game. But they pick up the box and see Jay Z then hey that's cool, Jay Z is popular, let me check this out.
Smh that's all I have to say to that.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.