Home
NHL 13 News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

Quote:
NHL 13 Gameplay Producer Ben Ross talks you through this exciting look at NHL 13 defensive gameplay.

Game: NHL 13Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
NHL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 liberaluser @ 08/05/12 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad0034
I just like tweaking sliders due to the big hits and such that seem to happen on default sliders. We'll see though, I still plan on doing an offline franchise and a GM Connected with some friends online.
Yeah, I always turn down the hits too.

Hopefully this year I also don't need to turn down acceleration and up the speed if the new skating engine does its job.

# 22 Simple Mathematics @ 08/05/12 11:06 AM
Now that's what I was looking for! This is looking pretty awesome!

# 23 tyler289 @ 08/05/12 11:23 AM
The backwards skating looked completely ridiculous and unrealistic but that seemed to be manually done by the player, so it's no big deal. Nice video.

# 24 TDKing @ 08/05/12 11:25 AM
Don't like the way backwards skating works. You can flip to quickly and easily to the backward skate with no consequences ? Forward backward forward backward spin forward backward all with hyper speed. Its gonna be a big problem in head to head games. EASHL is going to be a real mess this year. And I see leagues implmenting backwards skating rules lol ..... I'm waiting for the demo as I'm very skeptical of what EA tells us and shows us.

# 25 MitchStan @ 08/05/12 01:05 PM
Regarding the backwards skating, I wish they would show us a less agile player trying that kind of move and losing control of the puck or losing an edge as a result.

As a matter of fact I wish they would show a video of the things that happen when you try to do to much with the non-superstar players. True skating sounds great, but let see what happens Mike Rupp tries to make a cut like he was Ovechkin.

# 26 TheUndogmatic @ 08/05/12 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Sadly and this is really my biggest gripe on 13, you can't alter sliders. You can set the type of mode, Casual, pro? Hardcore which prolly changes the base slider settings for GM Connected but you can't make individual slider tweaks. I'll take it though at least for this year and see how it plays out.
What do you mean? Can you not adjust things like shot power, accuracy, speed, etc...?

# 27 liberaluser @ 08/05/12 01:58 PM
NHL is the SSX of team sports games, if u take away the arcade precision control then you possibly lose the fun too. I want a balanced game and being a little over the top but still true to the sport isn't the worse thing in my opinion.

# 28 Vikes1 @ 08/05/12 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDKing
Don't like the way backwards skating works. You can flip to quickly and easily to the backward skate with no consequences ?
This sums up my feeling about the back skating too, TD.

# 29 acidraindrops08 @ 08/05/12 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by liberaluser
NHL is the SSX of team sports games, if u take away the arcade precision control then you possibly lose the fun too. I want a balanced game and being a little over the top but still true to the sport isn't the worse thing in my opinion.
The SSX of sports games? I wouldn't go that far, sure theres a few elements in the game that are exaggerated but its not even close to nhl hits.

# 30 06woz @ 08/05/12 03:18 PM
It looks awesome, but as mentioned, it is waay too easy to go into a backskate from skating forwards with little momentum loss.

Not that it should be usable in many situations, and I don't play a ton of online versus anyways.

# 31 kerosene31 @ 08/05/12 07:28 PM
I love how they are making the puck more loose. Hopefully we see less times where the puck carrier stickhandles through you. Reminds me of what was great about 2k hockey.

I didn't like the up and down perfect passing with no neutral zone game. Hopefully that is better on higher difficulties.

# 32 thedudedominick @ 08/05/12 08:52 PM
When I watch these videos I watch as someone who plays a ton of EASHL and 6v6 league games. The huge hits and the backskating are going to make those two things a mess.

Hopefully the more powerful pokechecks help correct the ridiculous backskating and get rid of the issue in NHL 12 of guys just skating right through stick checks not losing the puck.

I am excited though about the AI and I might actually play a ton of GM connected.

# 33 cptnclutch28 @ 08/05/12 09:07 PM
Well as a primary goaltender is a reassuring to know the the defense in front of my whether is be CPU or human should be drastically improved. I've really liked everything that I've seen so far and hope that this game lives up to they hype that it has created

# 34 Weapon X @ 08/05/12 10:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptnclutch28
Well as a primary goaltender is a reassuring to know the the defense in front of my whether is be CPU or human should be drastically improved. I've really liked everything that I've seen so far and hope that this game lives up to they hype that it has created
Completely agree. My yearly goalie BAP experience will hopefully be much improved with these upgrades to the defensive AI.

WX

# 35 bukktown @ 08/06/12 02:26 AM
Looks like its gonna be a lot of banked and saucer passes this year. All the passes near a defender were magnet-deflected away. It looked a little silly. I'll take that over the previous passing through players especially through the neutral zone and the slot.

But seriously who skates backwards down low at even strength? I didn't notice if they were on the PP or not. I gotta watch it again.

Edit.... I watched again and it was the part around 2:55 that I was talking about. What was the Anaheim RW doing just standing there? Somebody help me out with hockey rules, if some d-bag is skating out from the corner backwards are you not allowed to hit him in the back lol!

I'm just trying to understand what happened there.

# 36 JezFranco @ 08/06/12 03:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator3guy
I don't like the "push the puck" animation. It's like the puck is on a string.
This is what worries me a bit as well... and it looks like it's happening to fast as well.
The guy recieves the puck standing still, and immediately goes into push puck animation.
Maybe we need to learn to not push the stick at max when we wanna have better control instead of speed, but it seems a little to easy to go into "top end speed" mode by accident.

On a another note, notice in the end there where Rammer mentions the defender goes into a "controlled glide" which [then] "triggers the automatic shot block".
I wonder if that means something new on the old shot block buttons, or if they just kept the dive there.

# 37 jake19ny @ 08/06/12 09:18 AM
Looks great and kind of what we were all asking for. The backwards skate did look silly and over the top, but as someone mentioned it was the user controlled player doing it, I didnt notice the CPU players going bonkers with it. Two things that worry me.
1) As good as the defense played in that video not once in that whole video did the CPU players tie up the opposition on the boards. This feature has been around a few years and the CPU never used it and did not in that video. I wanted to see more board battles with multiple players.
2) We all want more loose pucks and better D, but as a result the shots are going to go way down. I had enough trouble getting realistic shot totals and Save Pct for my goalies in past NHL games playing 10 min periods. May have to start playing 20 min periods.
Hope it does not sound like I'm complaining because I think the game is going to be leaps and bounds better than last year.

# 38 Simple Mathematics @ 08/06/12 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake19ny
Looks great and kind of what we were all asking for. The backwards skate did look silly and over the top, but as someone mentioned it was the user controlled player doing it, I didnt notice the CPU players going bonkers with it. Two things that worry me.
1) As good as the defense played in that video not once in that whole video did the CPU players tie up the opposition on the boards. This feature has been around a few years and the CPU never used it and did not in that video. I wanted to see more board battles with multiple players.
2) We all want more loose pucks and better D, but as a result the shots are going to go way down. I had enough trouble getting realistic shot totals and Save Pct for my goalies in past NHL games playing 10 min periods. May have to start playing 20 min periods.
Hope it does not sound like I'm complaining because I think the game is going to be leaps and bounds better than last year.
I'm glad that shot totals are going to be down. I played with pretty much everyone's sliders on here (TNK's were my favorite), and I was still getting around 50 shots per game. That is just ridiculous, so I'm really glad that the AI defense is going to be better.

# 39 Qb @ 08/06/12 10:20 AM
First off, I'm also leery of the ease of backskating, both in the transition and the speed/agility of it. However, I hear it's fairly easy to knock the puck away from someone when they do it by poke or body contact. In fact, from what I was told, it's easier to knock the puck away in general. Still, I'm going to beg Redshirt to push for somewhat limiting backskating ability when in possession of the puck.

Another observation... I have a very hard time evaluating the video because of the puck shadow. I can't believe how weird it looks any time the puck is in motion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchStan
As a matter of fact I wish they would show a video of the things that happen when you try to do to much with the non-superstar players. True skating sounds great, but let see what happens Mike Rupp tries to make a cut like he was Ovechkin.
I hear good things about this, at least on hardcore settings. Another tasty morsel about hardcore (as of this moment)... it's nearly impossible to complete a close range bullet pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JezFranco
On a another note, notice in the end there where Rammer mentions the defender goes into a "controlled glide" which [then] "triggers the automatic shot block".
I wonder if that means something new on the old shot block buttons, or if they just kept the dive there.
I hear there is a new contextual auto shot block. Should help to cut down on shot totals, and as you know if you watch the NHL, shot blocking is a HUGE part of the defensive game now. Could be a great addition if implemented well.

# 40 plaidchuck @ 08/06/12 11:33 AM
lol can you imagine what the eashl will be like with the backskating..

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.