Home
Madden NFL 13 News Post

The Madden NFL 13 demo is out and our staff has some impressions of this year's Madden to share in our traditional roundtable format. Is Madden going to be worth $60 this year on gameplay and presentation alone? Read on to find out our opinion on the matter.

Read More - OS Roundtable: Madden NFL 13 Demo Impressions

Game: Madden NFL 13Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii U / Xbox 360Votes for game: 77 - View All
Madden NFL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 RoundingThird @ 08/16/12 01:17 PM
I love it, gameplay is pretty amazing.

# 2 cgalligan @ 08/16/12 01:28 PM
Best Madden ever on SLOW Gamespeed.

On "normal" its like NFL Blitz.

# 3 Darth Aegis @ 08/16/12 01:28 PM
Ya i wish it was more polished I just don't know why it took this company so long to put the engine in and perfect it. Hire more people or something I just don't get it year and year out same old song and dance, i can't wait when there's someone next to them taking there shiny dollar away I bet they will be singing a different tune.

# 4 CoRRuPTMiND93 @ 08/16/12 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalligan

I completely agree with you, SLOW game speed is the way to go

# 5 Darth Aegis @ 08/16/12 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalligan

No kidding!! Has anyone dared to play it on very fast? Your guys prolly move faster then the speed of light

# 6 Td1984 @ 08/16/12 01:41 PM
I liked the gameplay. I could actually pass effectively on a consistent basis (unlike on NCAA), though when it came to running, I had to run to the outside to consistently pick up yards when I played with the Giants (with the Seahawks, Beast Mode had no such problems against the 'Skins).

When it comes to game speed, I've always gone with "Normal" which has been good enough for me. I'll give "Slow" a shot to see what all the fuss is about.

# 7 roadman @ 08/16/12 01:49 PM
For me, we all knew what to expect based on the podcast. We were told on June 4th no overhauling of OL/DL, no player momentum, etc...

I ripped pretty hard on the tackling in the demo, but based on the retail builds I'm seeing, tacking is much improved from the demo.

I find it easier to grade what is in a game vs what not in, especially if I knew some things didn't make it in.

That's just me, though.

Same thing with a movie, I critique what's in the film, not the cutting room floor.

# 8 jmik58 @ 08/16/12 01:56 PM
Great opinions as always guys. I also agree with some of the comments pointing out the benefit of playing on "slow" speed. I've really enjoyed All-Pro on slow with the demo. While there are odd things that occur physics-wise, the player movements and interaction are solid during actual gameplay. I think the total control passing and reprogrammed "psychic pass defenders" adjustment has made a huge improvement as well.

I haven't owned Madden for several years and just bought Madden 12 a month ago so I had something to compare the demo to. I'm seeing much bigger changes for the reasons I mentioned above. Also, I feel like slow speed and the new physics engine have improved the skating issue. Players feel heavier to me than they do in Madden 12. I also dropped the speed threshold down to around 5/10 and I really am enjoying the demo.

I think perspective has a lot to do with it. For someone that hasn't forked over cash on Madden in a while I'm excited to get it on day one. I'm a gameplay guy and I felt like the demo presented player movement, CPU AI, and other aspects as well or better than any football video game I've ever played. I didn't feel like the computer was cheating me out of anything. The results seemed pretty fluid/dynamic on each play.

My excitement is tempered, but I'm genuinely looking forward to the full game.

# 9 DirtyJerz32 @ 08/16/12 01:58 PM
I love the demo and that's all that matters. I know one thing, Fifa 12 had the same crazy animation issues when it went to the IE type of feature as well and we all know how that panned out. It was the greatest Fifa to date.

# 10 wat3 @ 08/16/12 02:01 PM
I'm sorry but this game is going to be a hot mess. It's so wacky, I'm not sure how anyone can consider this a football game. It's like Madden 12 with new and added problems. Never once did I feel like I was playing a football simulation video game. It just feels cartoony and the menu music reminds me of college football. I don't know what they tried to do this year but they should have waited for next gen consoles to release the infinity engine. EA is really pressing their luck. I don't know if they just want to see how many people actually buy this faulty game or if they were actually satisfied in the product. Whatever the case, I feel bad for the parents, kids, madden fanatics, and NFL hunger fans that purchase this game. It's horrid.

# 11 Feldman011teen @ 08/16/12 02:02 PM
The demo did in fact blow me away. The whole feel is what I imagined football would be in today's regard 15 years ago. The game is beautiful and smooth. The presentation is great. If you're someone that wants a change from recent Madden's get this one. I really can't believe how much flack this demo is getting?

# 12 Jet Sufferer @ 08/16/12 02:07 PM
I've now played TONS of games on both systems, and I'm flabbergasted.

So you're telling me after YEARS that line play is still useless? Jason Pierre Paul and Justin Tuck are just scrubs who can never get pressure or sacks with me controlling them? Unbelievable and inexcusable.

Pause for the inevitable reply - "I don't know what the problem is, I'm getting plenty of pressure with JPP and Tuck" .... OK.

I guess the game needs to be played by totally ignoring line play on defense and just controlling linebackers or other non lineman, I don't want to play that way when I have the best D line in football to play with, I like playing with lineman.

I could list another 100 inexcusable legacy issues that haven't been fixed for YEARS either, but let's just stick with line play, it's really inexcusable, I'm totally dumbfounded that they would let the game release like this YEAR AFTER YEAR.

# 13 bigeastbumrush @ 08/16/12 02:07 PM
LOL@ "stale and unexciting"

# 14 Bgamer90 @ 08/16/12 02:07 PM
Noticed that suction was mentioned in the impressions...

I haven't felt any suction when playing the demo.

Overall, there are definitely good points that were made but it seems like a few might have wrote the game off before even playing it. I say that based on the mention of "suction". I just don't see/feel it in the game at all.

I guess some may assume that Madden has all of its legacy issues if it has at least one. Understandable I guess.

# 15 TreFacTor @ 08/16/12 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawHat Patriot
This. I agree with everything.
I agree on all points. The only thing keeping me from buying the game is the lack of control and options for offline. I can wait till M14 IF they put those missing things back in. Other than that I'll keep getting it a year late at bargain bin prices or $10 used.

# 16 TreyIM2 @ 08/16/12 02:29 PM
I respect these thoughts on the game. Nothing really far reaching in what was said however I love the demo! One cat hit on the head in terms of reasonable expectations and I just wanted the things they said they were putting in to work well and they do. They never spoke about fixing all the legacy issues and the yada so I didn't go looking for that. They did the things they set out to do and that's all I expected and what they did do is great, not perfect, but great, imo.

# 17 roadman @ 08/16/12 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyIM2
I respect these thoughts on the game. Nothing really far reaching in what was said however I love the demo! One cat hit on the head in terms of reasonable expectations and I just wanted the things they said they were putting in to work well and they do. They never spoke about fixing all the legacy issues and the yada so I didn't go looking for that. They did the things they set out to do and that's all I expected and what they did do is great, not perfect, but great, imo.
Good post, Trey, my thoughts exactly, you explained better than I did.

# 18 bigdoc85 @ 08/16/12 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Good post, Trey, my thoughts exactly, you explained better than I did.
I'm with you on this. I actually played an entire Madden game and enjoyed it. I never did that on 11 or 12. Sure -- there are lots of room for improvements but for the first time in a long time, Madden seems fun. My biggest complaint is probably how goofy the bodies of the coaches look.

# 19 Doogie09 @ 08/16/12 02:51 PM
Agree completely with the consensus of the reviewers. I didn't think the demo was outright bad, but I was totally underwhelmed by it, and my expectations are tempered on the low side after buying M10 and M12. CC does have be intrigued, but not enough to pay $60 for this version. I'll give M10 or M12 another run this football season and we'll see if my two year cycle approach bears any fruit.

# 20 bigsmallwood @ 08/16/12 02:58 PM
Nice roundtable! I agree with Jayson Young in particular. "For every good change the Madden NFL 13 team has made, there are a dozen other generation-long issues or newly introduced quirks that ultimately sack Madden NFL 13's fun factor in the backfield for a loss."

Exactly how I feel.

« Previous12345678Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.