Home
NHL 13 News Post

Puck Daddy has posted the NHL 13 team and player ratings for the Eastern Conference.

In case you missed them, here are the top 5 forwards, defensemen and goalies in the game.

Quote:
Today, we're unveiling player and team ratings for the Eastern Conference. Western Conference teams will be revealed on Friday. All rosters reflect deals since July 1 and major transactions only. Ratings after the jump.

Here's EA's explanation for the new team overalls:

"We changed the team overalls for continuity. If you look at our 'potential' rating system and how we break down the each of the six skill ratings, it is all star based and we wanted to be consistent."

Your thoughts?

Game: NHL 13Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
NHL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Nizziano @ 08/17/12 11:21 AM
Kreider 68, Rupp 76, seriously? sure, Rupp is a good "in your face" player in a checking line, did they miss the playoff when Kreider sometimes was outstanding, also, Hags is abit low to. Other than that most of it feels atleast ok.

# 22 bwiggy33 @ 08/17/12 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayenomics
Apparently EA didn't watch how effective the Devils D were in the playoffs. Disappointing to say the least.
Are you saying they are underrated?

If you are saying that then that's not true. It's not just about what they did in the playoffs. It's about how they've played their entire career. How consistent they are. How often do you think some unknown guy will put up a bunch of points in the playoffs when they didn't do jack points wise during the season? It happens all the time. Should they be rated an 85 because of it? Hell no. Guys get lucky and are in the right place at the right time in the playoffs. That's just how it happens. I mean the Devs don't have bad D but none of those guys are great D men by any means. Hell Larsson is the highest rated and he hardly played in the playoffs. We honestly don't even know if he will ever even be good. Not all top draft picks are great especially when you rush them to the NHL.

If you are saying they are overrated then scratch everything I just wrote.

# 23 Simple Mathematics @ 08/17/12 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by uni91
So far it looks pretty good and EA is on the right track with the ratings .......but as always they have a few head scratchers!

I've only looked at a few teams so far and my first impressions is that the forwards seem pretty good....but defenseman are a little overrated? Not sure if people agree or not.

How is Justin Faulk and Adam Larsson a 84? They just started last year and had only like 20 points or something. You cant have Karlsson being a 86 and both of them a 84! Also, there is also a lot of defenseman in the 80's that shouldn't be....Adam McQuaid, for example......but it shouldnt take too much work to fix.

As for goalies they probably need a little work but not too bad...

Bryzgalov and Vokoun are overratted - both should be around 85
Brodeur only a 82.....maybe bump up to 84 or 85
DiPietro a 81! wow.....maybe 78 at best! with 44 durability.

All in all it is better than last year.....also, hopefully they got rid of the stupid 75 poise thing where the player would get a 3 point overall jump.....
Vokoun and Bryzgalov should be rated even lower than that. I wish there was a way to make both of them extremely inconsistent. The consistency rating for goalies does not do it justice.

Also, despite having a terrific playoff run, Brodeur had a pretty average season.

And a 44 durability rating for DiPietro is way too high. If they were to use the full 0-99 scale, he would be a 0.

# 24 bwiggy33 @ 08/17/12 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nizziano
Kreider 68, Rupp 76, seriously? sure, Rupp is a good "in your face" player in a checking line, did they miss the playoff when Kreider sometimes was outstanding, also, Hags is abit low to. Other than that most of it feels atleast ok.
Chris Kreider is not underrated. The guy has played 18 playoff games and that's it. Why should he be any higher? As I said above how many times have we seen guys play unreal in the playoffs only to never pan out for a good career in the NHL. Kreider is no lock just because he scored 5 goals and 2 assists in 18 playoff games which were the first games of his career. Also did you notice he was a -4 +- wise. That probably knocked his OVR total down. When you get the game look at his full ratings. His shooting, puck control, etc. will probably be in the low-mid 70's but his defense attributes will be in the 60's. That's fair ratings for a guy who's only played 18 games. They barely have any basis to go off of.

Everyone needs to understand a couple things. It's not just about "oh this guy played unreal in the playoffs so why is he rated so low." It's about consistency and proven play throughout the players career, as well as the age factor (look at Brodeur). Secondly when you get the game look at each players attributes. Screw the overall rating. That doesn't mean jack. Some guys are offensive juggernauts but suck at defense (Gaborik). Other guys who are your 3rd/4th line guys are defensive so their defensive abilities will be higher than their offensive. This is the exact reason why video games should remove the OVR number rating. Use a meter system because then it will force people to look at the different attribute ratings a player has and understand players are good at some parts of the game and struggle with others. When a player is good at one part of the game and not another, it's going to knock the players OVR rating down. The key to all of this is don't look at the OVR rating, look at the attributes!

# 25 uni91 @ 08/17/12 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Mathematics
And a 44 durability rating for DiPietro is way too high. If they were to use the full 0-99 scale, he would be a 0.
LOL....He wouldn't even make it through warmups!

But, as for Broduer....It's a good debate but would you rather have Broduer or Pavelec at a 82? I guess thats where I'm coming from....I'll probably bump Pavelec down to a 79 or 80.....I'm so sick of him getting great ratings the past several years and he continues to do nothing!

# 26 crankybaker @ 08/17/12 01:38 PM
A few problems I found.

Gionta is 83 -- WTF? even worse Gomez a person who scored 2 goals last year and I think 11 the year before is a 79. Should be much lower, but I guess that would screw over that team.

P.Martin 85 overall is way to high after the season he just had.

The big point gap between 87 and 71 is a bit crazy as well. Only thing I could think of is a balencing thing for a league as the penguins line up on NHL 13 looks really good and they have about 8 mill in cap room. So a big name or 2 can be added within the Nhl 13 world.

Holtby is 73. I know he only played a few games for the caps but he was outstanding should at least be in the high 70's as he has proven himself at the nhl level.

When the west ratings come out I would love to see what wideman's rating is as he was overpaid on july 1st and I hope that won't traslate to a high rating.

Things a do like: the low goalie ratings on the maple leafs and lighting teams as we all know that have a massive hole in the area

# 27 crankybaker @ 08/17/12 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scala42
bitter canucks fans still trying to take shots at boston anyway they can i see, don't worry i'm sure schneider and luongo will be overrated in goalie team rating as well as their overall player rating
Umm did you read what he wrote. He didn't call out or offend any team or Boston for that matter. Just put numbers together to make his point and the team used was Boston. He didn't say Boston was **** or should be have a worse player rating. He just compared two overalls that should have a gap between them. Spewing random rubbish provides nothing to anyone.

# 28 JamieLeeWV @ 08/17/12 03:51 PM
Steven gionta is only a 64 WTF whereas Eric boulton and CJ are rated higher LOL.

Brodeur should be higher than an 82 too same goes for Henrique and elias.

We all know ea are biased though right.

# 29 BleacherCreature @ 08/17/12 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nizziano
I think they swapped Rupp's rating with his age.

# 30 Thief1337 @ 08/17/12 08:58 PM
Nathan Horton : 46 games played, 32 points; 85 Overall.
Yet... Tyler Ennis : 48 games played, 34 points; 77 Overall.
And Tyler Seguin : 81 games played, 67 points; 84 Overall. Very strange.

73 points in 82 games played for Pominville; 85 Overall.
61 points in 78 games played for Vanek; 84 Overall.
50 points in 80 games played for Stafford; 83 Overall.

11 more points for Vanek than Stafford with 2 less games played awards him only +1 in Overall ? Doesn't seem convenient at all.

0,78 points per game for Vanek = 84 OV
0,68 points per game for Jeff Skinner = 84 OV

What are the considerations, here ?

Tyler Ennis has the same amount of points-per-game than Alexander Semin. Semin's got 83 OV and Ennis only has 77. That's a really huge margin. Once again, I wonder what are the considerations ? There's even worse, going ahead...

Max Pacioretty: 65 points in 79 games played. 84 Overall.
David Desharnais : 60 points in 81 games played. 79 Overall???
Lars Eller: 28 points in 79 games played. 80 Overall. WTF?
Tomas Plekanec : 52 points in 81 games played. 86 Overall. Totally overrated.

I think the worse part is this:
René Bourque: 24 points in 76 games played : 84 Overall.

Considering Bourque, these other players are as good or worse than him :
Joffrey Lupul : 67 points in 66 games played : 84 Overall.
James Neal : 81 points (40 goals) in 80 games played : 84 Overall.
Patrik Elias: 78 points in 81 games played, 82 Overall. (DISGRACE)

Where's the consistency ? This means Lupul could be traded for René Bourque. Even worse: René Bourque could be traded for Patrik Elias, anytime.

I found many other things that aren't consistent at all, ahead:

Jason Spezza : 84 points in 80 games played: 87 Overall.
Brad Richards : 66 points in 82 games played: 87 Overall.
Rick Nash--- : 59 points in 82 games played: 87 Overall.

How come !? Strange class of 87 OV players.

Evgeni Malkin : 109 points in 75 games played : 91 Overall.
Sidney Crosby : 37 points in 22 games played : 95 Overall.

Why's the margin so huge between Malkin and Crosby ?

Phil Kessel : 82 points in 82 games played : 86 Overall.

This means Kessel could be traded for Plekanec anytime, once again.

John Tavares: 81 points (50 assists) in 82 games played. 85 Overall.

Less OVR than Plekanec, who has 52 points in the same amount of games played. Both players are Centers. Consistency?

I know this is from the Western Conference, but take the time to compare, still:

Dany Heatley : 53 points in 82 games played : 85 Overall. Compared to Elias, Heatley is a subliminal hockey God. He deserved +3 in OVR ?
Zach Parise : 69 points in 82 games played : 90 Overall. Compared to Claude Giroux (90 Overall, 93 points in 77 games played), he's found to be another great, hidden, godly hockey talent.

This is only a little part of the Eastern Conference. The whole ratings are biased. This is ridiculous.

# 31 Thief1337 @ 08/17/12 09:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
I love how people are judging ratings based on just 1 season rather than careers. Let's see how it plays, then judge.

I compiled it. It admit it does explain a bit about Crosby and Malkin. But it doesn't explain to me how come Ennis and Desharnais are so worse in overall skills compared to Seguin, for instance. And Neal-Bourque, too. What about Heatley, too ? Spezza and Nash ? Semin and Plekanec ?

What is your point ? I would like to know, that's all.

# 32 ComaFaction @ 08/17/12 10:08 PM
Maybe because skill and point production do not correspond on a 1:1 basis. I have no problem with Seguin having a higher rating than Ennis.

# 33 Wingnatic @ 08/18/12 01:33 AM
Quote:
I love how people are judging ratings based on just 1 season rather than careers. Let's see how it plays, then judge.
It SHOULD be based on one season, the previous season. They come out with a game every year. Player production and skill can change from year to year. I mean, if you took Jagr's whole career into account, his overall would be in the 90's. Same with Selanne. Are you saying Jagr and Selanne should have 90+ OVR in NHL 13? That's what it sounds like you're saying.

# 34 Nizziano @ 08/18/12 04:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiggy33
Chris Kreider is not underrated. The guy has played 18 playoff games and that's it. Why should he be any higher? As I said above how many times have we seen guys play unreal in the playoffs only to never pan out for a good career in the NHL. Kreider is no lock just because he scored 5 goals and 2 assists in 18 playoff games which were the first games of his career. Also did you notice he was a -4 +- wise. That probably knocked his OVR total down. When you get the game look at his full ratings. His shooting, puck control, etc. will probably be in the low-mid 70's but his defense attributes will be in the 60's. That's fair ratings for a guy who's only played 18 games. They barely have any basis to go off of.
Still, RUPP is almost 10 points better then him, and only 1 point behind hags, tbh I would rather see Rupp around 64-65 and cranking Kreider up abit, and tbh, he played alot of season games also, and did a good impression. But hey, thats just me.

# 35 JamieLeeWV @ 08/18/12 06:27 AM
Quote:
If that's the case why is elias only an 82?

# 36 06woz @ 08/18/12 07:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnatic
It SHOULD be based on one season, the previous season. They come out with a game every year. Player production and skill can change from year to year. I mean, if you took Jagr's whole career into account, his overall would be in the 90's. Same with Selanne. Are you saying Jagr and Selanne should have 90+ OVR in NHL 13? That's what it sounds like you're saying.
Ratings should be based on one season? So you want Radim Vrbata and Michael Ryder to be better goal scorers than Eberle, Sharp, Iginla, Tavares, Marleau and Daniel Sedin.

Something wrong with that interpretation? What he meant was one season doesn't make a player. If you were to make the overalls solely based on last season than the idea of an extended mode like Be A GM would be ruined.

Ratings are supposed to be a projection of the coming season as to closely replicate the year ahead. You don't base that on one year, you base it on a larger sample as well as development patterns and the current trajectory of the player(in other words, potential). These ratings are far from perfect, but worse than the ratings are half the justifications being used to bash them.

# 37 kerosene31 @ 08/18/12 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06woz
Ratings should be based on one season?
Exactly. Making ratings and lineups in August isn't exactly easy. They have to build an NHL lineup when teams might not even be done making moves (obviously a bigger problem this year with the lockout). Heck, some teams aren't even over the cap floor.

The Sabres lineup and ratings are a perfect example. They have Leino as our #1 center at 81. He'll probably never play there. 2nd year player Hodgsen is probably going to get a shot at that spot, but EA can't rate him high enough because he's not done enough to prove anything yet. Ennis was our #2 center last year and finished the season on fire, but again should 25 games or so make him into a top tier player when his production hasn't been there historically?

Our young centers could be really good this season, or they could be a trainwreck. How do you rate for that? Instead you throw some vets in there with somewhat reasonable ratings rather than bet on some young player.

# 38 mikko1995 @ 08/18/12 12:12 PM
I don't know if you guys have seen this, but here is the player card of John Tavares.

# 39 canucksss @ 08/18/12 04:59 PM
lets just admit it...EA really not good in rating players and teams. since 2 years ago their ratings are highly suspicious and to the point ridiculous. there's no way you can defend this effort of EA. are they trying to be "politically correct" by making the differences so close with each other????

now my biggest concern is, since its been a complaint about player/team differentiation...what is our guarantee that this is not the issue for nhl 13?

# 40 JamieLeeWV @ 08/19/12 09:22 AM
Anyone got the player card for Kovalchuk?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.