Home
NBA 2K13 News Post

If you can't view the embedded video, click here.

The video actually shows NBA 2K12 footage, but Chris Smoove talks about the improvements to NBA 2K13.

Game: NBA 2K13Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 75 - View All
NBA 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 TheKasmar @ 08/19/12 11:46 AM
I'm so glad to hear about no more icon pass delays.

# 22 Da_Czar @ 08/19/12 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues rocker
it didn't happen so much on offense, it was more noticeable when controlling defenders.

in 2k12 when guarding the ball handler, the game would often make your player automatically react to pump fakes where he would automatically put his hand up and shift his feet to the side, even if you didn't do anything on the controller...it was very frustrating. or your player would automatically reach for a steal when close to the ball handler, even if you didn't press the steal button...that crap made me so mad.
I argued til blue in the face this year to have all auto stuff taken out as far as flinch reactions. I hope that made it. My argument was that If i have defensive assist turned off my guy shouldn't move unless I move him.

I also had that augustine thing happen to me once in awhile when not moving. I told them that would be a sore point with gamers don't know if they had time to take it out. With it still being in that demo build I fear it may still be in.

# 23 Colts18 @ 08/19/12 12:51 PM
And what was the argument for keeping that in? I can't see any logical reason why a user controlled player should get automatically crossed if the user didn't bite on it.

# 24 SouthBeach @ 08/19/12 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnbelievablyRAW
Really hope the sliding animation when you go the wrong way on d isn't triggered out of the defenders control. It should only happen if you're pressing R2+ L2 while pressing D and you shift the wrong way.

Also, for the dribbling moves, I hope 2k recognizes that the NBA isn't street ball. No one "crosses" defenders just to get by them using intricate moves (only Chris Paul, Deron and Jamal do this occasionally). Most of it is a quick side to side crossover move or an in and out (think Dwyane Wade when he fakes going through a screen)

We shouldn't need to cross a player over using street ball moves just to get by them. I hope that if you try to hard to pull off fancy stuff that you lose the ball 50% of the time because in real life people are t getting dropped every offensive possession
Yeah. They said that if you dribble too much, you may lose control of the ball. And they also said it won't be an And 1 Mixtape as far as the Control Stick goes.

# 25 cmebfresh @ 08/19/12 01:14 PM
i hope the defenses like miami, chicago and boston has better help defense in nba 2k13. Because thats what really keeps ball handler from going to the rim. also i heard that in the demo, that boxing out is still not happening. hope that changes in the retail.

# 26 vannwolfhawk @ 08/19/12 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmebfresh
i hope the defenses like miami, chicago and boston has better help defense in nba 2k13. Because thats what really keeps ball handler from going to the rim. but i heard that in the demo, that boxing out is still not happening. hope that changes in the retail.
Help defense is fixed. Last year the AI couldn't factor in which way the dribbler would drive and where help should come from. This year the AI can recognize if a player drives middle or basing so you will see the proper rotations. I am not sure how the rotations work on double teams though and if players rotate properly or not?

# 27 SouthBeach @ 08/19/12 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts18
And what was the argument for keeping that in? I can't see any logical reason why a user controlled player should get automatically crossed if the user didn't bite on it.
Maybe it's supposed to be a contextual type thing; similar to that whole steal animation where the offensive player puts the ball through his legs as you go whizzing by like an idiot.

# 28 NINJAK2 @ 08/19/12 01:22 PM
Quote:
i always just used to default settings...i never messed with the defensive assistance level...what was the default level for it?
Default is at 50 Blues. That's why it feels like half the time your player is moving when you don't want them too or they may auto react to the offensive player. Putting DA at zero gives you complete control of the defender but makes it much harder to play one on one d. Zero is where I have DA.

# 29 fsufan4423 @ 08/19/12 01:36 PM
I get more excited with each video release.

# 30 blues rocker @ 08/19/12 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
I argued til blue in the face this year to have all auto stuff taken out as far as flinch reactions. I hope that made it. My argument was that If i have defensive assist turned off my guy shouldn't move unless I move him.

I also had that augustine thing happen to me once in awhile when not moving. I told them that would be a sore point with gamers don't know if they had time to take it out. With it still being in that demo build I fear it may still be in.
thanks Czar...thanks for making your voice heard. even if they didn't fix it, it's good to know you spoke up about it. these "auto movements" are really one of the worst things in the game...they are small, but they are very frustrating when they happen...they just make it feel like you aren't really in control. I didn't notice them in 2k11, but it seems like they added all of these auto-movements starting in 2k12. i honestly don't know why there are in the game, other than to create a scripted scoring opportunity for your opponent.

# 31 blues rocker @ 08/19/12 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vni
You have the defensive assist on blues rocker. Go check in option > pad configuation. If it's at 0 your player NEVER reacts to pump fake on its own.
it's good to know that you can turn it down, but my question is: why did they add these auto-movements at all? even with defensive assist turned up, there's no excuse for my player just moving on his own. defensive assist or not, "auto-movements" of any kind should be a big no-no.

# 32 D.N. mod @ 08/19/12 02:08 PM
Does anyone know which jumpshot he uses for kobe? check at 6:20

# 33 NINJAK2 @ 08/19/12 02:13 PM
Quote:
it's good to know that you can turn it down, but my question is: why did they add these auto-movements at all? even with defensive assist turned up, there's no excuse for my player just moving on his own. defensive assist or not, "auto-movements" should be a big no-no.
Putting defensive assist all the way up is like telling the cpu you need them to completely control your player and to constantly adjust them to keep them in the best defensive position possible. It's like the option of a braking assist in a driving game. Some people like having that crutch to lean on for help. Zero DA gives user complete control. Having it anywhere else can lead to those unpredictable movements. Movements that the cpu thinks are putting you in the best defensive position.

# 34 iLLosophy @ 08/19/12 02:43 PM
Quote:
even with defensive assist turned up, there's no excuse for my player just moving on his own. defensive assist or not, "auto-movements" of any kind should be a big no-no.
Don't take this the wrong way but it sounds like you don't fully understand the concept of Defensive Assistance. It is like turning on an autopilot mode only it's scaled down and doesn't have full control. But when the guy you are guarding moves, it gives you a head start by helping you take a step in the right direction (at the right time) to stay in front of them - the downside is you end up biting on pump fakes and jab steps. It would be imbalanced if Def Assist only gave you a headstarts on committed drives & jump shots, but didn't make you bite on the jab steps and pump fakes. Plus, just like an autopilot mode in an airplane might overreact to turbulence, you should see overreactions by Def Assistance. That's when the pilot steps in and takes full control.

Me personally i'm glad they put in the "flench" movements you are referring to, it keeps Defensive Assistance from being a crux that everyone uses because they are lazy on defense. (which many people have complained about in prior 2k games). Just as long as they don't happen when Defensive Assistance is at zero. So in my opinion, they got it right in 2k12.

Sounds like for you, the only real problem is they left it on by default.

# 35 blues rocker @ 08/19/12 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLosophy
Don't take this the wrong way but it sounds like you don't fully understand the concept of Defensive Assistance. It is like turning on an autopilot mode only it's scaled down and doesn't have full control. But when the guy you are guarding moves, it gives you a head start by helping you take a step in the right direction (at the right time) to stay in front of them - the downside is you end up biting on pump fakes and jab steps. It would be imbalanced if Def Assist only gave you a headstarts on committed drives & jump shots, but didn't make you bite on the jab steps and pump fakes. Plus, just like an autopilot mode in an airplane might overreact to turbulence, you should see overreactions by Def Assistance. That's when the pilot steps in and takes full control.

Me personally i'm glad they put in the "flench" movements you are referring to, it keeps Defensive Assistance from being a crux that everyone uses because they are lazy on defense. (which many people have complained about in prior 2k games). Just as long as they don't happen when Defensive Assistance is at zero. So in my opinion, they got it right in 2k12.

Sounds like for you, the only real problem is they left it on by default.
yeah, i understand how it works...i just don't think they should have "assistance" of any kind in the game. either you're in control of your player or you're not...i don't want any of this in between stuff. i'd rather them just take it out and force people to actually control their players and earn their stops.

# 36 NINJAK2 @ 08/19/12 04:23 PM
Quote:
yeah, i understand how it works...i just don't think they should have "assistance" of any kind in the game. either you're in control of your player or you're not...i don't want any of this in between stuff. i'd rather them just take it out and force people to actually control their players and earn their stops.
I say the same thing about people who play off ball D almost exclusively. People should have to guard the ball handler or suffer the consequences of the cpu more easily getting beat off dribble(unless a zone is being played). That most likely won't happen though. 2k is just trying to help out those less skilled in the subtle natures of playing D but it doesn't stop you from putting the DA at zero.

# 37 The 24th Letter @ 08/19/12 04:29 PM
I dont know, me personally, ive never had the CPU attempt a steal or block on my behalf in 2k12...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJAK2
I say the same thing about people who play off ball D almost exclusively. People should have to guard the ball handler or suffer the consequences of the cpu more easily getting beat off dribble(unless a zone is being played). That most likely won't happen though. 2k is just trying to help out those less skilled in the subtle natures of playing D but it doesn't stop you from putting the DA at zero.
I don't agree here, I love protecting the rim with my center/ rebounding...I think your teammate AI should at least be competent enough to defend on their own if you decide to play that way....

# 38 iLLosophy @ 08/19/12 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJAK2
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
I dont know, me personally, ive never had the CPU attempt a steal or block on my behalf in 2k12...

I don't agree here, I love protecting the rim with my center/ rebounding...I think your teammate AI should at least be competent enough to defend on their own if you decide to play that way....
Are you guys talking about vs CPU or vs User?

# 39 illwill10 @ 08/19/12 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter

I agree on the teammate AI. I hope that they are more smarter when it comes to defending perimeter players off the ball. Last year, they tended to sag off too much then try to help another teammate then gave up easy buckets.
I just hope they play tighter when it is a good shooter because they sagged off if they had a high enough drive tendency.

# 40 NINJAK2 @ 08/19/12 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLosophy
Are you guys talking about vs CPU or vs User?
I'm talking primarily user vs. user iLL. People can play how they want vs. the cpu as that's not my concern. People can play how they want against a user too I just like going head to head against a user -I D them up they D me up

Mean no disrespect to those who don't feel the same.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.