Home
Madden NFL 13 News Post

HOT START FOR MADDEN NFL 13; SELL-THROUGH, ONLINE
USAGE, AND STRONG CRITICAL ACCLAIM FUEL RECORD DAY ONE

Sell-Through Up 7% in First 24 Hours for New Record on HD Console Generation

Record Number of Players Competing Online Together on Day One

Biggest Single-Year Rise in Critical Acclaim for an EA SPORTS Game in Four Years

Electronic Arts Inc., (NASDAQ: EA) announced today a huge first day for Madden NFL 13, which launched Tuesday across North America. Madden NFL 13 scored record day one retail sales, record day one online usage and it’s enjoying the best critical acclaim the game has seen in years.

Based on internal estimates, sell-through for Madden NFL 13 was up 7 percent year-over-year on HD platforms with 900K units sold in its first 24 hours on the market, its best start ever on this console generation. The franchise also set a day one online usage record with a 28 percent jump in peak simultaneous users over last year’s first day.

“It was a phenomenal first day for Madden NFL 13, and we have high expectations for this great game to be popular throughout the fall and into the holidays,” said Seong Ohm, Walmart SVP of Entertainment. “We’re excited that our partnership with EA has helped deliver our customers unique access and content to this great game. There's incredible demand for Madden NFL 13, and it's easy to see why people are loving it.”

Critics are praising the game with nine scores of 90 or above, and aggregated reviews of Madden NFL 13 show the biggest single-year jump in critical acclaim for an EA SPORTS™ game in four years*. GamesRadar said the game is “brimming with innovation on and off the field” and IGN.com said "it all adds up to Madden NFL 13 being something truly special.”

Not only are fans playing Madden NFL 13, but they’re talking about it. Since the launch of Madden NFL 13 for EA SPORTS Season Ticket consumers on August 24th, there have been 665,464 total social interactions on Facebook and Twitter combined, and the game has been mentioned on average every six seconds on Twitter.

“Madden NFL 13 is the most innovative entry the franchise has ever seen and we’re thrilled that fans have embraced it with such a huge first day,” said Andrew Wilson, Executive Vice President of EA SPORTS. “As we approach the kickoff of the NFL season next week, the football community is whetting their appetites by playing Madden NFL 13 in record numbers. With the combination of the cutting-edge Infinity Engine and new Connected Careers fans are truly getting their football fix with the best Madden NFL game ever.”

Madden NFL 13 on Xbox 360® and PlayStation®3 delivers physics you can feel on every play, and will connect you to the NFL and other fans like never before. Powered by the all-new Infinity Engine, every impact on the field is more intense; every battle is more authentic; and no two plays will every look or feel the same. With Connected Careers you'll build your legacy as a player or coach within a completely new and fully connected universe, accessible on and off the console. With deep new gameplay innovation, social integration, and an overhaul of the audio and visual presentation, Madden NFL 13 is the biggest game-changer in the history of the franchise.

Madden NFL 13 is developed in Orlando, Florida by EA Tiburon. Madden NFL 13 is now available and retails for $59.99 on the Xbox 360® video game system and the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system. Madden NFL 13 is also available for $49.99 on the Wii™ console from Nintendo, and $39.99 on PlayStation® Vita System. To learn more about Madden NFL 13, visit http://www.easports.com/madden-nfl.

Game: Madden NFL 13Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii U / Xbox 360Votes for game: 77 - View All
Madden NFL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 AiDub @ 08/30/12 05:48 PM
I saw a stat on Joystiq that made me laugh hard... EA was bragging that their first day online players was up 28% from last year... Ummmm... Duh!

Seeing as they pretty much made it impossible to enjoy without being online no **** more people where online... I do wonder how that got so many people online that first day though seeing as their servers where constantly down.

# 22 roadman @ 08/30/12 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman990
Well, it plays a bit better on the field. I can't say it's much better because the only real difference is the infinity engine(which right now feels fresh, but still a mixed bag IMO), ball hawk(a nice option), pass traject(not perfect, but better then nothing), and read & react(sadly now the defense moves on the ball, but the wr just stands there) gameplay wise.

That may sound like a lot, but not really in the scheme of things I want. Those running animations kill the game for me. It's what you see the most of all. Players still skating around. Hard to swallow it. Also, I can't take this bird cam any longer. If I can't get a custom cam then I just want a default camera like Maden 10 & 11 and before it. Madden 12 & 13 have ant cams. It kills all the new visuals until the cutscenes IMO. I like the zoom cam, but it is just too low this year. It has it's moments, but it needs to be raised and angled like Madden 10-11. I realize a lot of features are subjective. Sadly, they still missing a lot of my big ones. O-line is a big one also. I won't even go into CCM and the loss of some of my favorite features that went missing in year 8 of this generation.

If it sounds like I am crying guys, sorry but I been wanting these features to return since 2005. That is a hard one to swallow, we are in 2013 and these are still not back in. I do want EA to hear my voice, I think it is important.

I'd give Madden 12 a 6.5, and Madden 13 a 7(too many bugs right now, maybe 7.5-8 later depending on what they patch).
Understood, I agree with the Madden 12 score, but I'd put 13 on a 7.5 to 8 score, higher with fixes. I've heard late game AI is fixed on the CCM online side.

I just can't justify with all the improvements, especially with the Infinity Engine just a half-point bump between 12 and 13, and I want EA to hear everyone's voice, it is important.

Respect your opinion.

# 23 TreyIM2 @ 08/30/12 06:37 PM
This is a good thing. More money from increased sales could lead to more game improvements, including a bigger staff to help put it together. This definitely has been the most fun I've had with Madden since the first one on the Genesis cuz it was fresh and new. The Madden that disappointed me the most this gen on PS3 was 11. I felt like they were getting better then hit a brick wall with that one then rebounded a bit with 12 and even more so with 13 so they're back to trending upward.

I think EA needs to continue to understand, which is something I've said since who knows when, is that gimmicks when it comes to sports games DON'T translate to improved sales. Great sports gaming does. Many of us play a sports game because we are fans of the sport or sports enthusiasts, right? So when u get the sport right, digitally, ur gunna attract said ppl. If anything, 2K FULLY understands this. Doesn't always translate well for them since we've seen them eclipsed in certain sports arenas, but the effort and focus has usually been on the actual sports they're trying to recreate.

Anyway, good job EA. I'm really diggin Madden 13.

# 24 Nza @ 08/30/12 06:49 PM
Sales are a nice stat but obviously the business is more concerned about net profit. More sales != more profit.

# 25 roadman @ 08/30/12 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
Is EA giving you money or something? Eat crow? Why because the game isn't that great IMO and it will just collect dust? It's the best football game of this generation, that isn't saying much considering Madden is the only football game every year and has been mediocre since it's been on this generation.

How you like them apples?
Mediocre, this year, I would disagree with you, but to each their own.

It's all subjective.

# 26 SamoanSteelerFromAus @ 08/30/12 07:08 PM
Quote:
Its social media and marketing. Sportscenter has on a different legend on their show everyday promoting the game, they talk about it on every one of their 500 shows and have people like Colin Cowherd, who has probably never picked up a video game controller in his life, talk about how real and amazing the game is.

They marketed this game harder than last year's game i feel and it's payed off. With Facebook and Twitter you get professional athletes like Lebron James tweeting about playing the game and then you got kids who then think they can get a game against him online so they want the game even more.

Is the game better than last year? Yes. Do i still feel the game is a disappointment? Completely. And not just because i was disappointed with the infinity engine and the wonky tackles but the fact that they took so much user control out of the game. I always enjoyed playing as many games with as many teams during a franchise. In NBA 2k i control every team, same with MLB the Show. I don't play every game and most of the time i just play one team's games, but i like the option of being able to play as different teams. Same with NCAA Football. And then add to that editing, we can't edit players. It's disappointing to have that control taken away after you've grown so accustomed to it for all these years and enjoyed it. It's not a terrible game, it's just not a game i see myself playing for too long especially with WWE 13, NBA 2k13 & Call of Duty Black Ops 2 all coming out in the next fews months. Madden is no longer a game i NEED to have and care about spending time playing.
Well said.

# 27 Nza @ 08/30/12 07:20 PM
The worse part about the loss of control IMO is you feel boxed in - *this* is the experience EA tailored for you and that's all you get. I want more control, not less. Console gaming is already a sacrifice to me being a PC gamer first but I at least want some freedom.

In Maddens of old, you used to be able to tailor a franchise experience to your needs to the point where complex and involved franchise guides and house rules could be written and followed to improve the realism etc. Now it seems you just don't have the wiggle room in M13, shy of exploiting a few loopholes. It just isn't for me.

# 28 tril @ 08/30/12 07:37 PM
have to say that EA's Madden team did a good job on such an ambitious overhaul. Im not a huge EA/Madden fan at all, but this version of MAdden is the best since probably the late 90s early 2000's.
so I cant be hateful that they ahd such good sales.

# 29 Joobieo @ 08/30/12 07:40 PM
I think EA has moved in the right direction with connected careers , a easily doable patch and this game mode is the best in football history.

# 30 ultralow36 @ 08/30/12 09:15 PM
Quote:
What's sad is that the conclusion you came out of reading what i said is that, "they sold more because they used ads?"

They advertised the s**t out of this game. They had a different hall of famer on Sportscenter and ESPN's other 500 tv & radio shows talking about the game. They have Skip Bayless' twitter in the game so that gets the First Take people to mention the game. You act as if getting ESPN fully behind your product isn't a big deal. Yes ESPN always spends some time talking about Madden, but they went even harder this year with it.

It's not just, "they used ads."
It was the first thing you wrote so in my eyes you seem to think that was the most important part.....I didnt write it you did....madden is so big just like call of duty it my help with hype but its not the biggest reason it sells well....

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

# 31 Bulls321974 @ 08/31/12 08:03 AM
I will never get the hype about this game. "Madden" was a way better game before the next-gen consoles were released. EA have just never been trying to get the max out of this hardware. Madden + Xbox/PS3 = A step back...

# 32 TheBrooklynBaller @ 08/31/12 08:36 AM
I really wasn't gonna buy it. But I did. To me it's the best version of Madden in a long time. That being said it just means I'm having a really good time with it. Improvements are imminent and I guess this will be the team of devs that are willing to listen and implement from the consumers voices. I really advise guys who don't have the game yet to give it a shot maybe down the line after a few patches and maybe a holiday price drop, but always remember its what you make of the experience so always adjust the sliders etc. to fit your gaming wants and needs. No game will ever be perfect... And this is coming from a 2K5 supporter. Enjoy fellas!

# 33 Gorilla Glass @ 08/31/12 08:40 AM
The village has spoken. The game is hot. Its not perfect, but nothing in life is. Good start for the Madden team!

# 34 PanthersGM305 @ 08/31/12 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls321974
I will never get the hype about this game. "Madden" was a way better game before the next-gen consoles were released. EA have just never been trying to get the max out of this hardware. Madden + Xbox/PS3 = A step back...
Yes, PS2 madden ... they even had tattos... I mean you could edit , track your stats, change any equipment... The Tony Bruno show, Newspaper, the Sim style of franchise was taken out and replace with a huge BETA test server only connected version of MADDEN... EA Good job. Good Effort. This kinda reaminds me of Final Fantasy online only which was a disater cause it did not sale... since it had online only..Socom did the same mistake at one point never got it right again... I hope EA gets it right , but honestly i say this every year... there all a big hype machine... that one day will crumble.. and i will be around to smile and make sure to point out the lack of effort put into this game was just sad, makes me want to move out of Florida since this is where i live & the game is produce in the state they let me down....

# 35 Saijahn @ 08/31/12 09:42 AM
I wish there was a way to compare the sales versus the returns. This game is being returned just as fast as it's being purchased.

# 36 josephid @ 08/31/12 09:43 AM
EA, lie, lie. I would say who is the idiot who left out last years franchise and made connect careers? However, they probably wanted to force us into twitter or unline crap.

At least give us a downloadable franchise mode like Madden 12. I would even pay to get Madden 13 this feature.

# 37 sarlndr @ 08/31/12 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joobieo
I think EA has moved in the right direction with connected careers , a easily doable patch and this game mode is the best in football history.
Easily doable but will it be done and done correctly is the real question. OS will self implode if it's not.

# 38 DickDalewood @ 09/02/12 08:47 PM
This I the first year in a long time that I can absolutely say this is great news to hear. This team deserves to be rewarded for their efforts. Madden 13 is not only the best Madden I've played, but the best NFL game I've played as well.

If they can put in this kind of effort again next year, the results should be fantastic.

# 39 roadman @ 09/02/12 10:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman990
The big issue I'm having in regards to gameplay is this games is so scripted. it's a little troubling to see what the AI is willing to do to dictate the outcome. I wish EA could get the AI good enough it no longer needs to cheat(and I mean go beyong the laws of physics to do it) to be competitive
Try sliders and the game won't be so scripted. I'm having unpredictable games in my online CCM

Each game is different, which makes it feel more organic.

# 40 scoonie05 @ 09/02/12 10:30 PM
Lol, the shark's (haters) are out. Every time they smell blood (good news) they come like clockwork. LOL!!!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.