Home
NBA 2K13 News Post

The NBA 2K13 demo is available now on the Marketplace for Xbox Live "GOLD" members (available next week for Silver). Most are getting it by searching for "2K13" or going to Genre ---> Sports and Recreation. You can also queue it up right here.

The PS3 demo arrives later this afternoon, we'll update this post when it's available.

UPDATE: PS3 demo is available now. If you don't see it, search for it.

The new controls take a little while to get used to, so make sure you check out the Controls trailer, we posted yesterday.

NBA 2K13 Demo Features:
  • Oklahoma City Thunder at Miami Heat
  • 1 Five minute quarter
  • Quick Game and Online Quick Match. Can't invite friends, just random.
  • Can't change sliders, camera view, make substitutions or call plays
  • No commentary
  • Kinect enabled
  • 943 MB
Play a game or 2 and post your impressions here.

Game: NBA 2K13Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 75 - View All
NBA 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 1241 Vni @ 09/28/12 04:01 PM
Coudn't figure how it was a good idea either last night when I heard bank shots where automatic based on player's tendencies.

# 1242 dpower15 @ 09/28/12 04:03 PM
A couple quick impressions from one game:

1) the players seem a bit too big in relation to the court as they have in years past

2) the ball looks a bit too small

3) it seems like when dribbling slowly up the court and the new animation for them casually dribbling it up kicks in, the transition looks really awkward like it should be a traveling and/or carrying call

# 1243 smace767 @ 09/28/12 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP9072
So fun beating these people online that try to get your inbounds nonstop
and while your beating them badly they rage.
im lovin this.......... in 12 you could press all game with a good steals guy and it worked better than it should. In the demo at least its a highlight going the other way if you dont get back on d.
Its still to be seen if you have a lower handled rated point guard, whether it becomes a problem.
This demo also exposes or brings to light potential good and bad with these sig skills.

The good is if you do a fantasy draft asso. even if you pick in the bottom half you could build a team that could compete better then they could in 12.

You mix the right skills and get some defense and rebounding and build a team and a style, you can hang with the top half of the drafting teams.

The bad could be the few over powered sig skills that could make it hard to have a good balance of sliders.

you should still be able to contain 5 microwave, dead eye players half the time. dont want to see 10 three pointers in a row type sh!t just cause you are a dead eye microwave. dont want to see lock down brick walls making you miss 10 shots in a row if you worked and got decent shots each possession.

Also need to see height matter a little more, especially in the paint. dont want to see westbrook or any small player throwing hooks over well positioned Bosh or Haslem or any big in the paint. Also want Dwill to pull up on short PGs at the foul line extended and not have his shot penalized. dwill could beast short pgs in 12 without creating much space. just up and over. I see Durant use his height but my concern is guys who are not sig skill rated but can shoot well enough, should sill get the height factor.

overall i like the demo. I wish i could use the d settings of deny Durant and sag off westbrook double LBJ on drives, trap Chalmers and see what happens.

i wish we had three matchups in the demo.

Lakers vs OKC- Height vs youth and speed, who owns the paint, who guards Durant.

Heat vs Pacers- athletes vs height and hard well coached role players can Hibbert abuse down low, can Granger get his, can the pacers execute on off like they should be able too.

Knicks vs Golden St- up tempo with a small paint advantage vs up tempo shooters with no paint control. what is the def like with all these shooter on the court. true slider test game.

could have had Celtics vs heat but that isnt much different than okc vs heat. would have liked to see the def of Rondo, Bradley and KG and see how effective it would be.

# 1244 Rasco11 @ 09/28/12 05:05 PM
Had a cool moment yesterday...i got called for goaltending and the ball went in anyway. My guy just shrugged and made gesture like, "what are you gonna do"

Another weird moment in a game was when i got called for a blocking foul, but Durant got continuation and free throws. Don't recall that in years past. Almost seemed like refs discretion or a superstar call.

Also, I like how the R1 + right stick flick passing really helps to get the ball on breaks, or push tempo, they are generally crisper passes. It also works well in halfcourt at times!

# 1245 Rasco11 @ 09/28/12 05:09 PM
I got my fingers crossed custom music will work better. The sound balance between PA and stadium music seems more balanced. I know it's just a demo, and it's hard to know until commentary layered in, but I'm hopeful. Maybe Jay-Z fixed it It was awful on PS3 last year, not sure if that was so on both consoles.

# 1246 Sim_Head @ 09/28/12 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruxpinke
Sim Head - didnt mean to single you out bro. Its just there's so much focus on these boards in winning and losing a 5 minute demo. There is a whole thread going on talking about making people quit in the demo, people are posting their unofficial "win-loss" records in their posts, etc.

obviously cheesers and spammers will always exist in every game, and im sure they will try their best to find something exploitable in this game as well. I just think people are going to the extreme with the demo and judging how people are choosing to play it.
Gotcha, other than that...how are you feelin' the game so far?

# 1247 JustSteve @ 09/28/12 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizenberg
Just got the game. Am i allowed to post gameplay videos?
I think the protocol is to show proof in the "Who has it" thread first and then get permission from the mods.

# 1248 JustSteve @ 09/28/12 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizenberg
Hm, whos a mod here i can ask? I'd love to share some gameplay vids with you guys.
Take a pic with the game and your user name and maybe today's date and post it in the "who has it" thread.

# 1249 NINJAK2 @ 09/28/12 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
There are plenty more contact animations that allow you to beat your man to the spot defensively in the full game.

Enough that I foresee people complaining about the "bumping" being back. I hope they don't change it though - it feels great knowing you aren't at the mercy of the offense on the perimeter at times.

I still would like there to be a way to contest some shots very close to the rim. There are still too many times where a player can pumpfake and make a shot on three people defending. It's almost as if the offensive player doesn't know they are there. This has been in the game for a while - the lack of "presence" on the inside by the defense. There is little to no reason to bring the ball back out aside from the game forcing the missed shots.

I like that it keeps the paint bombers honest but it just feels artificial.
I agree. That intensity modier on defense should always initiate contact or crowd offensive players when pressed no matter if u are out on the perimeter or in paint. Defense should always be able to create contact or crowd players if they are close enough. In 2k12 nothing was more aggravating than watching an opponent perform various ball fakes in the lane and being helpless as a defender to initite contact outside of the hard/wrap foul mechanic. Knowing that, 2k has done a great job of adding many contact animations down low this year. Pared-next time u r defending in paint against a pump faker, put your hands up and flop as they pumpfake to see if u can get the call.

# 1250 Sundown @ 09/28/12 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
There are plenty more contact animations that allow you to beat your man to the spot defensively in the full game.

Enough that I foresee people complaining about the "bumping" being back. I hope they don't change it though - it feels great knowing you aren't at the mercy of the offense on the perimeter at times.

I still would like there to be a way to contest some shots very close to the rim. There are still too many times where a player can pumpfake and make a shot on three people defending. It's almost as if the offensive player doesn't know they are there. This has been in the game for a while - the lack of "presence" on the inside by the defense. There is little to no reason to bring the ball back out aside from the game forcing the missed shots.

I like that it keeps the paint bombers honest but it just feels artificial.
I hope the increased contact isn't that bad. I really thought the demo finally played like an NBA game should, with plenty of opportunities to push past your defender if you have a step on him and where the defender was still able to ride you to the bucket rather than you either blowing by him completely or hitting a brick wall. I'd hate to see it turn back to 2K11 or 12.

Agreed with the lack of contact in the paint. Bosh shouldn't be able to easily pump fake layup in the face of three guys each time he gets it deep.

# 1251 shaquille112 @ 09/28/12 07:15 PM
How in the world do you alley oop on the ps3 version?!?

# 1252 youvalss @ 09/28/12 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaquille112
How in the world do you alley oop on the ps3 version?!?
I think it's X + Square.

All the answers are here:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...-controls.html

# 1253 Panicshade @ 09/28/12 08:59 PM
One thing I would like to see 2K do is handle their demo like Konami does with Pro Evolution Soccer.

Konami puts out one demo a few months before release with a handful of teams and tells their players to give them all of the feedback they can on what should be adjusted. Then they put out a second demo with those tweaks so people can see what has improved and also give them even more feedback if it is needed.

I think giving people 4 teams with differing styles and skill level would let people see how things are balanced instead of just using 2 teams with a near perfect rating.

# 1254 labirdman @ 09/28/12 10:22 PM
Man, I feel bad after reading this thread. Seems everyone loves it but me. I want to like it, but I'm not really feeling it.

I played a fair amount of 2k11, and loved it, but haven't touched it in over a year. Never played 2k12, so I have no basis to compare it to that.

But 2k13, compared to what I remember of 2k11, feels a little slow and clunky. Player movement and controls don't seem all that responsive (even in single player/offline), and the player models seem too big for the court, and too chunky (Kevin Durant is built more like Kevin Duckworth).

The icon passing seems kinda slow, too.

So you know where I'm coming from: I play video basketball for the vicarious athletic thrill it imparts, not for simlike accuracy. Nothing, in my mind, tops running around as MJ in 2k11, tearing it up.

That probably disqualifies me from offering any serious criticism, but in terms of speed, feel, flow and fun, it seems like this game has gone the wrong direction from 2k11.

# 1255 ParisB @ 09/28/12 10:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by labirdman
Man, I feel bad after reading this thread. Seems everyone loves it but me. I want to like it, but I'm not really feeling it.

I played a fair amount of 2k11, and loved it, but haven't touched it in over a year. Never played 2k12, so I have no basis to compare it to that.

But 2k13, compared to what I remember of 2k11, feels a little slow and clunky. Player movement and controls don't seem all that responsive (even in single player/offline), and the player models seem too big for the court, and too chunky (Kevin Durant is built more like Kevin Duckworth).

The icon passing seems kinda slow, too.

So you know where I'm coming from: I play video basketball for the vicarious athletic thrill it imparts, not for simlike accuracy. Nothing, in my mind, tops running around as MJ in 2k11, tearing it up.

That probably disqualifies me from offering any serious criticism, but in terms of speed, feel, flow and fun, it seems like this game has gone the wrong direction from 2k11.
Weird. To me the game play is smoother, crisper , and more responsive than ever.

# 1256 Panicshade @ 09/28/12 10:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisB
Weird. To me the game play is smoother, crisper , and more responsive than ever.
and the people that have played the full retail version have come on here and said the control and feel of the game is even better than the demo

# 1257 adwin7 @ 09/28/12 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panicshade
and the people that have played the full retail version have come on here and said the control and feel of the game is even better than the demo
I always expect the full version to feel better than the demo. It's been that way as long as I can remember.

# 1258 Mintsa @ 09/28/12 11:36 PM
Friday night....11:30pm.

The light bulb goes off...all the new controls make sense.

I can finally do what I want to do. The brain and fingers now work as one.

I'm ready for Tuesday!

# 1259 cmebfresh @ 09/29/12 12:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintsa
Friday night....11:30pm.

The light bulb goes off...all the new controls make sense.

I can finally do what I want to do. The brain and fingers now work as one.

I'm ready for Tuesday!

wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I don't know why, but your comment made me hype

# 1260 djcnerds @ 09/29/12 01:15 AM
I wish 2k sports put the dunking controls back in like what they did in 2k11. For example right stick to the left for flashy dunks, right stick to the right for power dunks, right stick to the front for normal dunks, and right stick to the back for reverse dunks. It brought more options to deicide which dunks to perform and provided more animations. I hate it when CPU decides which dunks to perform for my player. Just patch it in the game plzz. I want TOTAL DUNKING CONTROL lol.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.