Home
NBA 2K13 News Post

If you can't view the embedded video, click here.

Thanks to Tweefin123!

UPDATE: It looks like some of the ratings aren't accurate, based off of NBA 2K13 player ratings that have already been revealed.

UPDATE #2: Looks like the video was pulled, but we have it up locally. Thanks to bigball12.

Game: NBA 2K13Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 75 - View All
NBA 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 161 Streaky McFloorburn @ 09/27/12 02:57 PM
The 84-85 Sixers were already a borderline joke with Dr. J, as they were one of only 2 classic teams missing 2 starters, and had the fewest real players by 1 vs. any other classic team. Unless some player(s) have been added to replace him, I don't see the point of a classic "team" with only 2 of their starters and 6 real players total, when every other classic team has at least 8.

# 162 VDusen04 @ 09/27/12 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streaky McFloorburn
The 84-85 Sixers were already a borderline joke with Dr. J, as they were one of only 2 classic teams missing 2 starters, and had the fewest real players by 1 vs. any other classic team. Unless some player(s) have been added to replace him, I don't see the point of a classic "team" with only 2 of their starters and 6 real players total, when every other classic team has at least 8.
I'll still take it, as it at least provides us with an authentic classic 80's 76ers court. Further, since it looks like classic teams are editable out of the box this year, for those looking to complete that '85 team with created players, we're six players closer to making that happen.

# 163 iNolaNightmare @ 09/27/12 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManhattanBeachLakers
I'm on 2k's side on this one, Anderson does NOTHING except shoot 3's and rebound a tiny bit. Horrible defender and shot blocker, what did you want 2k to do, boost the stuff that he's not good at?
16 PPG & 8 RPG with a whining, hurt Dwightmare and a mediocre team and a mess surrounding him. One of the highest PER's in the game with a 21. Consistent and durable, as well.

# 164 Streaky McFloorburn @ 09/27/12 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
I'll still take it, as it at least provides us with an authentic classic 80's 76ers court. Further, since it looks like classic teams are editable out of the box this year, for those looking to complete that '85 team with created players, we're six players closer to making that happen.
If a court and a few random players constitutes a classic team, why not add more of the ones that fans have been clamoring for? If the standard for a classic team is only 6 licensed players, they should be able to spread the love a bit more, don't you think? If CAPs are okay with most people, why not save money by not licensing any players, and just pay for more historic courts and unis?

I agree that there is no harm in including the team, because there appears to be no challenge mode for classics this year, but having to beat the Bucks with every one of their key players in place, by using Moses Malone to score 80% of the points? That doesn't feel like a "classic" matchup to me.

Do I even need to mention online? I thought that we could use classic teams this year. Including one that will probably not get any run seems silly.

I know that the devs are not responsible for anyone's personality quirks, but I'd rather not be driven to obsession by a roster with only half its players. "Just download from 2k share" you might say, but most CAPs look terrible. Every classic 86 Celtics roster I dl'd in 2k11 had a CAP Bill Walton that looked like he did on the 77 Blazers. I wasn't on OS then, so hopefully I can get some better advice on which rosters to use now, but there's nothing more frustrating to me than knowing I either have to ignore something I care about, or put hours into fixing it myself.

It's the same problem whether you care about rosters, player faces, hairstyles, accessories, or any other detail that takes away from the game's realism when it's done halfway. I haven't complained about any of those issues before, but this seemed like the perfect place to take a stand, because the team is exactly halfway done. Is 50% accuracy really a standard you're willing to accept? (Maybe as a metaphor for FG%?)

# 165 aliplayer786 @ 09/27/12 08:33 PM
looks like the first day i get the game i gotta fix the ratings myself

# 166 martymcflyy85 @ 09/27/12 09:35 PM
Don't forget that in 2k12, if you were able to download the early "glitch" roster you had access to all of the 45 players that were in the legends showcase DLC. These include players like Kevin Johnson, Dan Majerle, Tom Chambers, Kenny Anderson, Glen Rice, Jalen Rose, Steve Smith, Mark Jackson, Dale Ellis, not to mention young vince carter, young tracy Mcgrady, etc.

Even if Dr J, Kareem and Webber were somehow included, the fact that 2k isn't making these other players available in some sort of fashion has made my decision easy. I too am one who belongs to the group that classic rosters were their main draw.

# 167 VDusen04 @ 09/27/12 10:00 PM
Quote:
If a court and a few random players constitutes a classic team, why not add more of the ones that fans have been clamoring for? If the standard for a classic team is only 6 licensed players, they should be able to spread the love a bit more, don't you think? If CAPs are okay with most people, why not save money by not licensing any players, and just pay for more historic courts and unis?

I agree that there is no harm in including the team, because there appears to be no challenge mode for classics this year, but having to beat the Bucks with every one of their key players in place, by using Moses Malone to score 80% of the points? That doesn't feel like a "classic" matchup to me.

Do I even need to mention online? I thought that we could use classic teams this year. Including one that will probably not get any run seems silly.

I know that the devs are not responsible for anyone's personality quirks, but I'd rather not be driven to obsession by a roster with only half its players. "Just download from 2k share" you might say, but most CAPs look terrible. Every classic 86 Celtics roster I dl'd in 2k11 had a CAP Bill Walton that looked like he did on the 77 Blazers. I wasn't on OS then, so hopefully I can get some better advice on which rosters to use now, but there's nothing more frustrating to me than knowing I either have to ignore something I care about, or put hours into fixing it myself.

It's the same problem whether you care about rosters, player faces, hairstyles, accessories, or any other detail that takes away from the game's realism when it's done halfway. I haven't complained about any of those issues before, but this seemed like the perfect place to take a stand, because the team is exactly halfway done. Is 50% accuracy really a standard you're willing to accept? (Maybe as a metaphor for FG%?)
I think you may have misinterpreted what I was saying here. Five of the classic teams added by 2K in NBA 2K12 were the 2002 Sacramento Kings, the 1987 Los Angeles Lakers, the 1985 76ers, the 1977 76ers and the 1971 Milwaukee Bucks. Among them, well over 40 individual classic players were accounted for, including an extremely high percentage of regular rotation players.

Even in 2K12, people were left a little flummoxed with the inclusion of the '85 Sixers, for without Charles Barkley it seems as if they would have been better off making an '83 team. The presumption was 2K may have been on the verge of signing Barkley or believed they could sign him, thus leading to a preemptive classic Sixers squad. Then, Barkley's absence, combined with Andrew Toney's, made for a pretty empty classic team. Each of the other teams mentioned though, were mostly only missing 9-12th men - the Mateen Cleaves and Marv Winkler's of the world. As such, we were pretty solid on that front. I had to create my own Chucky Brown? So be it. It was still a pretty full set of five awesome classic teams.

Now we have NBA 2K13 on the horizon. All signs point toward a few big stars bowing out for the new edition: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Chris Webber, and Julius Erving. All the teams these players were a part of, were already created last year by 2K, when the rosters (except for the '85 squad) were mostly full. I'm saying, I'm glad 2K at least decided to retain the rosters and teams they put together last year and didn't pull a jerk move of unnecessarily pulling them out just because a few stars didn't sign. Even without the three mentioned, those teams still account for 40 classic players. It seems it would have taken more work to eliminate those teams from the game than it would have to keep them in just in case folks opted to create the missing stars and fill out the squads again (which I'm certain scores of gamers most definitely will do).

Point being, it's not as if 2K's just saying, "Hey, we can't get the rights to Alex English, Kiki Vandeweghe, or Fat Lever. Let's make a 1988 Nuggets team anyway." The teams we're talking about were full (again, except for the '85 Sixers) and instead of randomly ridding of all those other players who played on those teams (Darryl Dawkins, Joe Dandridge, Oscar Robertson, and Kurt Rambis among them), 2K kept them around because they figured if they made them last year and they still had them, why not share them with us in spite of the superstars apparently deciding to not sign back on again?

It would have been cool to have the Chris Webber back on that '02 Kings squad again this year. But now, since 2K didn't axe the team they'd already put together, I'm just one solid Chris Webber create-a-player away from having a full team again. And I'd much rather have that than having to create 8 Kings myself and then use them on the modern Kings court, having to pretend they're using the early 2000's floor.

# 168 youALREADYknow @ 09/27/12 11:47 PM
The fact that ratings are changing this much from pre-release to release day is as good of a sign as you'll find to let you know that nothing has changed as far as rosters are concerned.

If there was anything objective or data-driven about these, then there would be little to no change from then to now since ZERO games have been played since the early summer.

Sad, but expected. Still don't know why that STATS logo is even in the game.

# 169 AgentQ16 @ 09/28/12 12:37 AM
Quote:
I think you may have misinterpreted what I was saying here. Five of the classic teams added by 2K in NBA 2K12 were the 2002 Sacramento Kings, the 1987 Los Angeles Lakers, the 1985 76ers, the 1977 76ers and the 1971 Milwaukee Bucks. Among them, well over 40 individual classic players were accounted for, including an extremely high percentage of regular rotation players.

Even in 2K12, people were left a little flummoxed with the inclusion of the '85 Sixers, for without Charles Barkley it seems as if they would have been better off making an '83 team. The presumption was 2K may have been on the verge of signing Barkley or believed they could sign him, thus leading to a preemptive classic Sixers squad. Then, Barkley's absence, combined with Andrew Toney's, made for a pretty empty classic team. Each of the other teams mentioned though, were mostly only missing 9-12th men - the Mateen Cleaves and Marv Winkler's of the world. As such, we were pretty solid on that front. I had to create my own Chucky Brown? So be it. It was still a pretty full set of five awesome classic teams.

Now we have NBA 2K13 on the horizon. All signs point toward a few big stars bowing out for the new edition: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Chris Webber, and Julius Erving. All the teams these players were a part of, were already created last year by 2K, when the rosters (except for the '85 squad) were mostly full. I'm saying, I'm glad 2K at least decided to retain the rosters and teams they put together last year and didn't pull a jerk move of unnecessarily pulling them out just because a few stars didn't sign. Even without the three mentioned, those teams still account for 40 classic players. It seems it would have taken more work to eliminate those teams from the game than it would have to keep them in just in case folks opted to create the missing stars and fill out the squads again (which I'm certain scores of gamers most definitely will do).

Point being, it's not as if 2K's just saying, "Hey, we can't get the rights to Alex English, Kiki Vandeweghe, or Fat Lever. Let's make a 1988 Nuggets team anyway." The teams we're talking about were full (again, except for the '85 Sixers) and instead of randomly ridding of all those other players who played on those teams (Darryl Dawkins, Joe Dandridge, Oscar Robertson, and Kurt Rambis among them), 2K kept them around because they figured if they made them last year and they still had them, why not share them with us in spite of the superstars apparently deciding to not sign back on again?

It would have been cool to have the Chris Webber back on that '02 Kings squad again this year. But now, since 2K didn't axe the team they'd already put together, I'm just one solid Chris Webber create-a-player away from having a full team again. And I'd much rather have that than having to create 8 Kings myself and then use them on the modern Kings court, having to pretend they're using the early 2000's floor.

The problem you don't acknowledge is that those of us who are more interested in the classic teams want them "complete" not just for offline play, but most importantly, ONLINE play. And last time I checked, created players/custom rosters are NOT an option when playing online. So, the whole point of classic teams without Dr. J or Kareem, etc. gets seriously diluted when we want to use those teams online. I'll pass this year solely because that is THE feature my buddies and I wanted this year.

# 170 Streaky McFloorburn @ 09/28/12 01:43 AM
Quote:

I understand the reasons why things are the way they are, and I agree that having what remains of the 84-85 Sixers is not inherently a bad thing. However, I still feel that it is a problem to have a team with no competitive usefulness (and not in the way that the worst current team in the NBA arguably has) as currently constructed. All of the new elements that were added to 2k13 to increase realism are working against this team; sig skills which the CAP roster fillers won't have, increased fatigue which will necessitate playing those CAPs, etc. Correct me if I'm wrong about how replacing those players works, but it could also be a problem to have to put 6 more John Browns into the FA pool to fix the team, rather than 1-3.
If they could give us the rest of the real bench players it would be easier to work with, or editable CAPs with the proper ratings/sigs but different names/faces for the missing stars.

I appreciate what you're saying, and my intent is not to get the team removed at this point. Even when expressing frustration, I'd like to offer something constructive. It's just at this point, I don't know if there's anything that can be done, and I don't know if there's any precedent for this particular situation, there's simply no comparison between teams missing 1 key player, and this one which is missing 3 of them, and 6 total. I know that the devs probably find it as unacceptable as I do, and that if they could do something about it, they would. For all I know, they already have, and I'm hopeful that one of my favorite teams won't be one that I have to intentionally overlook.

# 171 Bobcat8 @ 09/28/12 01:58 AM
MKG DEFINETELY needs finisher..His defense should be up to par too. Glad they gave Bismack the respect he needed. Although I shouldn't be complaining about this, Tyrus Thomas is rated a little too high..should be in the 60's.. He averaged 5 and 3 last year..

# 172 VDusen04 @ 09/28/12 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentQ16
The problem you don't acknowledge is that those of us who are more interested in the classic teams want them "complete" not just for offline play, but most importantly, ONLINE play. And last time I checked, created players/custom rosters are NOT an option when playing online. So, the whole point of classic teams without Dr. J or Kareem, etc. gets seriously diluted when we want to use those teams online. I'll pass this year solely because that is THE feature my buddies and I wanted this year.
Yeah, you're certainly correct regarding the use of these teams online. There's a lot of things that are lost in the shuffle when it comes to online play. Users can't fill in roster blanks, they can't adjust ratings, they can't correct accessories, they can't change signature moves and they can't give classic players authentic shoes. All of those facts would bother me greatly if I played online, so I understand where you're coming from.

Again though, my point was simply that it'd have made less sense for 2K to go out of their way to remove the 40 other classic players (and the five teams) than to leave them in the game, in case people like me still opted to create or download their own Chris Webber and run with the '02 Kings once more. Will they be useless for online play? Pretty much. Would that warrant removing them so people offline couldn't make them work? I do not believe so. But I feel your pain.

Quote:
I understand the reasons why things are the way they are, and I agree that having what remains of the 84-85 Sixers is not inherently a bad thing. However, I still feel that it is a problem to have a team with no competitive usefulness (and not in the way that the worst current team in the NBA arguably has) as currently constructed. All of the new elements that were added to 2k13 to increase realism are working against this team; sig skills which the CAP roster fillers won't have, increased fatigue which will necessitate playing those CAPs, etc. Correct me if I'm wrong about how replacing those players works, but it could also be a problem to have to put 6 more John Browns into the FA pool to fix the team, rather than 1-3.
If they could give us the rest of the real bench players it would be easier to work with, or editable CAPs with the proper ratings/sigs but different names/faces for the missing stars.

I appreciate what you're saying, and my intent is not to get the team removed at this point. Even when expressing frustration, I'd like to offer something constructive. It's just at this point, I don't know if there's anything that can be done, and I don't know if there's any precedent for this particular situation, there's simply no comparison between teams missing 1 key player, and this one which is missing 3 of them, and 6 total. I know that the devs probably find it as unacceptable as I do, and that if they could do something about it, they would. For all I know, they already have, and I'm hopeful that one of my favorite teams won't be one that I have to intentionally overlook.
I will agree that, as currently constructed, the '85 76ers are pretty much useless. And for me, the same could be said for any classic team missing its star. However, and maybe this depends upon which system we're using and what modes we play, but as an XBox gamer who does not play online, there are often many created legends who look wonderful and certainly pass as the actual player.

For instance, in 2K12, I used a '93 Suns team that featured an authentic version of nearly every player on the roster except for Charles Barkley, but the excellent job someone did creating a Chuck, combined with the authentic shoes, accessories and jerseys of that Suns squad, allowed me to more or less convince myself he was the real thing.

Further, I don't have confirmation, but I thought I may have heard that signature skills can in fact be given to created players (I vaguely recall a poster stating that's the only thing that's changed with the create-a-player this year). Further, I don't actually believe the fatigue will be forcing teams down into their 9-12th men on a regular basis. The game will still feature "rotation" subs so if I really don't want to see Chucky Brown on the floor, chances are giving him zero minutes will probably still make that happen, even if Vlade is dead tired. Also, I think the number of generics in the free agent pool won't really make a difference. I'm pretty sure I had droves of minimally rated John Brown's in the free agent pool last year, so a few more likely won't hurt.

With all that said, I'm glad we can agree that 2K likely didn't just randomly choose to screw over the '85 76ers of all teams. I'm certain they would have loved to retain Julius Erving and have the rights to use Barkley as well (not to mention Andrew Toney). It sucks having a shelled 76ers team. And to be real, if they were never in 2K12 and 2K randomly just decided to add them from scratch this year without having the rights to Erving, Barkley, or Toney, it'd be strange and it'd make no sense. But if they happen to have 5 of the 8 rotation guys just hanging around and a classic court already made, I say you might as well leave them just in case we want to make it happen.

Even with created players, I was still satisfied with a lot of my results in 2K12. Sure, from a close up at the free throw line, we could all definitively say, "That's not Chuck." But when he's running the floor from Broadcast Cam, I can be a believer:

# 173 daveberg @ 09/28/12 10:28 AM
Has it actually been confirmed by staff working for 2K that these guys will not be in the game this year?

# 174 VDusen04 @ 09/28/12 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveberg
Has it actually been confirmed by staff working for 2K that these guys will not be in the game this year?
I wouldn't really expect a confirmation from 2K as to who isn't included in the game this year. I think we're all just going off the Best Buy video (since pulled) not showing either of those three players near the top of the roster screen for each of their respective teams.

# 175 JazzMan @ 09/28/12 04:06 PM
I've heard that Gordon Hayward doesn't have any sig skills... How is this possible? He was a highlight film with his chase down blocks last year, and he's an excellent shooter. So how does Wade get Dead Eye and Hayward doesn't?

# 176 chronoxiong @ 09/28/12 04:52 PM
Wait a minute, the 2001-02 Kings team is in this game? Holy cow Batman!!!! I really need to get this game!!!!

# 177 Biagas @ 09/28/12 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronoxiong
Wait a minute, the 2001-02 Kings team is in this game? Holy cow Batman!!!! I really need to get this game!!!!
no webber but still there

# 178 chronoxiong @ 09/28/12 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biagas
no webber but still there
What? Chris Webber isn't on the team? That's whack. He was the leader of that team. Aww man.

# 179 VDusen04 @ 09/28/12 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronoxiong
What? Chris Webber isn't on the team? That's whack. He was the leader of that team. Aww man.
The good news is Webber was in the game in 2K12, so his signature shots are in the game (and authentic ratings). Further, some people out there can create a pretty legit looking C-Webb, thus allowing us to download him and assign him to that Kings squad.

# 180 chronoxiong @ 09/28/12 05:48 PM
Oh ok then. That's cool to hear. Without C-Webb on that team, the team is not complete. Who the hell would start in place of him? Lawerence Funderburke? Lol...Or a young Turkoglu?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.