Home
NHL 13 News Post

As announced last week, the NHL 13 title update has arrived for the PS3 and 360. Play a few games and post your impressions.

Just in case you missed the details, check them out below.

Gameplay Updates
• Separated ability for backwards to forwards pivot for ‘with puck’ and ‘without puck’ and made it quicker to pivot without the puck.
• Poke checking – fixed bug causing players to always miss to the same side of the puck.
• Goalies will be more aware of shots right off a faceoff in the offensive zone.
• Goalies will have a harder time dealing with screens.
• Ability to tune shooting back against the grain so it can be less accurate/effective than shooting with your weight behind the shot and moving towards your shooting direction.
• Ability for players to be more susceptible to lose the puck when getting hit while skating backwards with the puck at speed.
• Prevented desperation shots from knocking the puck away from the goalie minimizing the strategy of diving at the goalie to knock the puck loose.
• Fixed shootout logic in GM Connected to include both locked and unlocked users.
• Allowed BAP games to resume from simulation in the middle of a shift (fixed crash when sim intervening).
• Fixed goals screening goalie stat.
• Goalie has a better chance of squaring up to shots from far out.
• Improved orientation of off-puck players in one-timer situations.
• Improved AI behavior against a back skating puck carrier.
• Fixed hit power sliders so only the hitter’s slider value matters.
• Fixed AI players occasionally standing around looking at the puck when resuming from simulation in BAP.
• Fixed BAP being taken off the ice after a short shift that results in a stoppage.
• Fixed rapidly spinning players in BAP when resuming from simulation.
• Ability to tune players puck control coming out of a 45 glide deke.
• Ability to tune CPU pass error on long passes.
• Improved puck hop behavior when it hits the boards.
• Pokechecking effectiveness range tweaked. Players with better stick checking skill will stand out more compared to players with lover ratings in that category.
• Tuned goalies and shooting accuracy to ensure shots in the slot/middle of the ice are more effective than shots from sharp angles.
• Tripping penalties are more likely to be called

Presentation and Graphics
• NEW - Added unique (green) Reebok 20K EA Sport branded skates and stick to the RBK pre-order pack (XBOX).
• NEW - Added unique (blue) Reebok 20K EA Sport branded skates and stick to the RBK pre-order pack (PS3).
• NEW - 2012 Winter Classic Jerseys (PHI / NYR) now selectable in regular game modes.
• Reduces frame rate jitter on the Xbox 360 as experienced by a number of players in all game modes but was most noticeable in OTP/EASHL (XBOX).
• Replay Wipe timing fixed.
• Commentary for replays won’t continue if a replay has been skipped.
• Action Tracker post effects (barrel distortion on net cam) is working correctly.
• Tampereen Ilves home/away jerseys now displays correct logo.
• Dynamic board ads added to Toronto’s stadium.
• Snow on players/goaltender/environment now fades out more smoothly/realistically.
• Flag holders in the Winter Classic stadium now stand correctly at all corners of the flag.
• Lulea HF center ice logo now displaying correctly.
• Transition wipes should no longer hold on white frame longer than necessary.
• Boston jumbotron no longer white; has proper textures (PS3).
• Rare occurrence of skate spray not lining up correctly with action now fixed inside of the Action Tracker.
• Shuffling of NIS’ has been improved. Less chance of seeing the same NIS inside of the same game.
• Goalie stick mirroring has been corrected. Blade will now be pointing in the right direction during shootout NIS’.
• NHL Moments Live snow build up on ice will now work correctly.
• Calgary Flames now have proper logos on helmet for both Home/Away.
• Prevented replay speech from playing over top a fight or if goof off is skipped.

Hockey Ultimate Team
• NEW - implement training duration item so training items can last for multiple games.
• Addressed an issue where some users were not getting Puck rewards for playing games and would sometimes get a Loss for actually winning games.
• Fixed an issue where players would continue to receive the Happy Hour bonus if they never disconnect from the EA servers and continued to play HUT games.
• Fixed an issue where after playing a game against the Team of the Week or a team from the Leaderboards screen, the wrong roster would be downloaded for all of the teams in the EAUHL 24/7 league when playing a Single Player game.
• Item Pack Art EASST Player Premium Pack art now shows Promo and not Deal.
• Fixed an issue where players would see an error message with missing text when bidding on the same item over and over until while being out bided by another player.
• Applied training boosts are no longer used up for players in the user's Scratched Roster.
• If user has a Stanley Cup edition item in their starting lineup, they are no longer able to add that same player from the New Items screen, thus resulting in them having 2 of the same players in their lineup.
• Fixed an issue where users are not getting wins for opponent DNFs when playing Online Tournaments against the same opponent twice.
• Fixed a crash that occurred when a player enters the Watch list and highlights a sold (green outline) item.
• Online Tournament opponent searches now check for player skill level and team star rating.
• Fixed the crash when applying Consumable items to some of the players in the New Items screen.
• Addressed an issue where spamming in and out of a challenge team game will cause a blank lineup screen to appear.
• Fixed an issue where users would advance through tournament rounds by entering the tournament tree and then playing through a regular non-tournament game (online and offline).

Be A GM
• Addressed an issue where players that should not be considered waiver eligible were being listed as waiver eligible.

Be A Pro
• Tuned off season player growth effect on the BAP player EXP Growth.
• Fixed an issue where the player’s BAP team would not sign FA’s or RFA’s to contracts.

GM Connected
• New - Trade messaging has been added to the mode.
• Speed up Hub loading times.
• Improved responsiveness when scrolling through the Main Menu to reduce accidently scrolling past the option players want to select.
• Improved scrolling when looking to selecting a team on the trade player screen and select team screen.
• Users should no longer be able to adjust the gameplay sliders during a CPU game.
• Improved responsiveness of league search screens.
• Fixed an issue that would sometimes cause a crash when bringing up the player list on the Trade Player screen.
• Fixed an issue where the game would sometimes crash while backing out of the mailbox screen.
• Fixed an issue that could cause the game to crash while loading into the GM Connected HUB.
• Fixed a rare crash that could occur when proposing a trade to a CPU team (also fixed in Be-A-GM).

Online Team Play / EASHL
• Addressed an issue where team members from different regions could not match up together in a club practice and the matchmaking would fail as a result.
• Fixed PS3 microphone fluctuations when not set in HQ mode.
• Resolved an issue with EASHL matchmaking where it was returning the captain’s versus skill level instead of the club’s skill level. This will improve the accuracy of matchmaking.
• Addressed an issue where Hockey Shop Boosts were being unequipped to the player’s EASHL Pro upon reboot of their console.

Game: NHL 13Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
NHL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 gator3guy @ 10/25/12 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by porky14
Just wondering why EA removed Djurgardens IF team????
They got demoted to the second tier. Rogle got promoted.

# 62 Vikes1 @ 10/26/12 01:35 AM
I have a question....

I see one of the GM mode fixes with the update was....fixing where players that were considered wavier eligible, that should not be.

My question...I have several players with 2 way contracts that are still wavier eligible. Is it correct that some players with 2 way contracts can be wavier eligible?

# 63 Taku @ 10/26/12 02:19 AM
Waiver eligibility has nothing to do with 1-way or 2-way contracts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHL_sal...r_waivers_only

# 64 Taku @ 10/26/12 02:25 AM
Depending on the age as determined above, a player is waiver eligible for a certain number of years from the year in which he signed his first contract, as shown below.

Goalies Skaters

Age Years Age Years

18 6* 18 5*

19 5* 19 4*

20 4 20 3

21 4 21 3

22 4 22 3

23 3 23 3

24 2 24 2

25+ 1 25+ 1

For anyone 20 or older, the year in which they play their first professional game is considered the first year counting towards the number of years they are exempt from waivers.

*If an 18 or 19 year old plays in 11 or more NHL games in a season, then the eligible period drops to 4 years for a goalie and 3 years for a skater, with the first year of that period being the year in which the player played 11 or more games.

(Example: Nazem Kadri & John Tavares both signed their first NHL contract as 18 year olds. However, Tavares has played more than 11 games as an 18 year-old. Therefore, Tavares is now waiver-exempt for 4 years (this year, and the 3 ensuing years), while Kadri is waiver-exempt for 6 (this year and the 5 ensuing, although this could change if he plays next season).

The other factor is games played. Once a player reaches the threshold (again based on the age at which they signed their first professional contract), they are eligible for waivers. The language of the CBA is very clear that while there are two distinct thresholds, this is an "earliest of" scenario. If a player reaches their games played mark before the reach the years mark (or vice versa), they become eligible for waivers.

Goalies Skaters

Age Games Age Games

18 80 18 160

19 80 19 160

20 80 20 160

21 60 21 80

22 60 22 70

23 60 23 60

24 60 24 60

25+ 25+

# 65 Taku @ 10/26/12 02:29 AM
That is from an article few years back from now, Tavares and Kadri mentioned as an example after their first season in the NHL.

# 66 Vikes1 @ 10/26/12 05:33 AM
Thanks for the info, Taku.

Much appreciated!

# 67 jake19ny @ 10/26/12 07:15 AM
Hmm Im seeing mixed reviews on the update and tuner....some say its great some say its ruined the game. Not sure what to make of it and Im afraid to download it. Im pretty happy overall with the way I have the game now and the updates and tuners ruined NHL 12.......I may just stay with what I have. Because once I delete my current files I wont get them back if I hate the new stuff.

# 68 Taku @ 10/26/12 07:37 AM
There has to be a bug or problem of some kind when installing these tuners. I've seen that fast gamespeed few times and weird physics too and I have fixed them. My game is not fast, Its actually pretty slow on my sliders and its not fast even with default gamestyles Normal/Hardcore. This could be the reason why some people aren't getting penalties called too.

Now this is pretty quickly done, I've done this 4 or 5 times:

1) Delete your profile in NHL13

2) Restart your Console & NHL13

3) When prompted download "Game Modes Tuner" first and then download "New Tuner Update"

4) Go to your settings from Main menu and adjust your rules and gamestyle/sliders and choose 1.06 as tuner version, do not choose latest(dont know if it matters but I think it makes more sense to put in tuner version manually) and save&exit

5) Load your Be a GM or Season or whatever you might be playing

6) Go into your settings, they should be as you have saved them before. Change something in settings like put tuner version 1.05 there and save&exit. Then put settings back how you want them and save&exit again.(this is only because there will be "new" settings saved despite the fact you didn't change anything)

7) Adjust custom camera and controller settings back to your liking because they went back to default when new profile was created

5, 6 and 7 can be skipped if you're testing in Play now obviously. Hope that helps.

Your saved games will work normally, your Custom AI files will be safe too. I don't know about Created plays but i dont think they work as they should anyway...

# 69 mkharsh33 @ 10/26/12 11:39 AM
Haven't played this game for a few days, but have grabbed the latest update and tuner. Seeing mixed results, so I'm hoping this game hasn't taken a turn for the worse... Is the problem stemming from the update OR the tuner? Or does anyone know? Thanks!

# 70 tvman @ 10/26/12 12:48 PM
I pretty much take anything written over at the EA forums with a grain of salt. Kids you know.

# 71 Rwings832 @ 10/26/12 01:22 PM
I did exactly what was said above, I deleted my profile and created a new one. I am getting excellent games with the new tuner, and penalties being called pretty often actually.

# 72 Taku @ 10/26/12 01:40 PM
-no more "floaty" skating, players feel more heavy?
-slower gamespeed?
-no more weird physics like players making "helicopter" 360 degree spins after being hit?
-more penalties called?

# 73 ddhex27 @ 10/26/12 03:43 PM
I deleted everything and reinstalled it all from scratch because I was having no penalties, floaty skating and faster gameplay.

It is now improved - Lots of penalties and heavier skating. Thanks for the info.

(Offline player only)

# 74 Redshirt_EA @ 10/26/12 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupCrazyManiac
i ll hope REDSHIRT will read this thread and we will see a new PATCH!?
Over the EA Forums there are a lot of guys with BIG problems after the "new" patch and Tuner v.1.06.

I ll test a few games more but for now i dont like NHL13.

Here are the most Problems (just my 2cents):
  • speeds and agility are through the roof
  • it feels like players are weightless now!
  • seeing even more idiotic 180 degree angle short side than before
  • faceoff loop (sometimes)
  • cpu still 90-100% passing in the neutral zone
  • The new skating system might as well not even exist anymore. All human skaters are back to being way too equal, especially getting around D-men
  • hitting (physic engine) is still useless tho, works far better to just skate in there way so they run into u to slow down
I think there is more....

I actually did what Redshirt_EA recommended, about deleting your player profile and then redoing it. But with no success.

I ll try it again... (wont give up for now!)

OFFLINE/Co-op Xbox Player here
None of these things are meant to happen with the patch, and I don't think it is what most people are experiencing (including myself). I don't know how to account for what's happening, I'll be interested to hear if resetting things helps for you.

What mode(s) are you using?

# 75 JezFranco @ 10/27/12 09:04 AM
Just played the first game after the patch yesterday...

Loaded up my season, the custom audio and video setting were correct!
Game started, and even the custom camera angles that havent worked for the last few years was set correct.
This alone made this one hell of patch!!!

Only played one game, and didn't dl the tuner, and the game seemed to play ok.
Dl tuner now to see if I need to go through the hassle of deleting profile etc....

Anyway, good job with saving the saves.

# 76 Sweed @ 10/27/12 05:08 PM
D'loaded both the new 1.06 tuner and the title update. No problems with speed, penalties, or any of the other issues some are reporting here. I play with Boston and have played two games with the patch\tuner update vs. Montreal. Lost there 1-0 in OT and won 3-2 in Boston two days later in a shootout.

Game is playing just as good in 1.06 as it did with 1.04 for me on the ps3.

# 77 mikeb88 @ 10/27/12 09:30 PM
why arent the flyers and rangers winter classic jerseys available? I don't see them as selectable jerseys

# 78 ether @ 10/27/12 10:59 PM
One thing I haven't seen addressed is this issue with manual line changes. I always set it to manual line changes but don't feel like I have 100% control. The computer will override you and change lines even when you don't call for it regardless of situation. I've had odd man rushes against as I watch guys head for the bench. Is there any way I can fix this?

# 79 18 eighty 5 @ 10/28/12 12:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofubrain2
uhhh something came along with that roster update that nerfed the positive effects of the patch. I'm certain of it. This game is playing more like NHL 12 than ever now, and I was ranting and raving post release of the patch about how smooth and controlled the game play was.

I recall this happening for the last 3 NHL series games. The truth is out there.
I am yet to download this patch and tuner. Hopefully the issues you are encountering can be corrected by the delete profile work around. I'll be interested to hear.

The patch fixes sound really great and I am all for getting in on the fixes listed. But, like you are finding, it is really frustrating when you have the game at a point that feels great and then it all changes in weird ways.

The game post tuner 1.05 just hasnt been the same for me.

# 80 bellaballa @ 10/28/12 12:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb88
why arent the flyers and rangers winter classic jerseys available? I don't see them as selectable jerseys
You need to have the latest roster downloaded. Thats where they updated the jerseys.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.