Home
MLB 13 The Show News Post

Bryce Harper has been announced as the first candidate for the MLB 13 The Show cover, which will be voted on by fans.

In this Kotaku article, Bryce talks about the possibility of being the MLB 13 The Show cover athlete. Ramone Russell and Owen Good give us a few more details about the game, including a few nuggets about Beginner Mode, fielding, hit timing and a complex formula in the game's franchise mode.

Quote:
Russell said hitting timing will be adjusted slightly in MLB 13 The Show to give batters a more satisfying payoff on solid contact. "You're going to see more offense like you do in real life," he said, addressing criticisms that The Show's rigorous contact physics last year made the game a station-to-station game of base hits for most novices. "If you square up on a fastball, it's going to be hit harder than it was before," Russell added. "People are going to be very surprised."

Other upgrades Russell described involved a complex formula in the game's franchise mode, whereby team payroll—i.e., management's willingness to spend—will expand or contract relative to the team's success, and not just because a team made the playoffs or won a World Series. Teams like the Padres will never spend like teams like the Yankees, and vice versa. But especially in Road to the Show, if you end up in a small market or a perennial loser, and take them to a breakout season, you have a reasonable hope of seeing management spend for a supporting cast to get your club further into October, without stranding you there until you become an unrestricted free agent.

Source - No Longer a Rookie, Bryce Harper Wants to Welcome You to The Show (Kotaku)

Game: MLB 13 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3Votes for game: 36 - View All
MLB 13 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 seanjeezy @ 12/12/12 02:37 PM
Booooooooooooooo

On a another note, that throwing motion looks quite ridiculous for an outfielder, but its perfect for James Paxton lol

Edit:

Quote:
"If you square up on a fastball, it's going to be hit harder than it was before," Russell added. "People are going to be very surprised."
Yes!!! this is exactly what I asked for in the feedback forum. One down lol

Quote:
Player development in Franchise will now be influenced by scouts which have their own ratings—spotting hitting and pitching talent and appraising both. It introduces a human element to the development process. "These guys could end up being wrong," Russell said.
Damn I should've just read the entire article first before quoting stuff, but this is a huge deal as well...

# 2 jr86 @ 12/12/12 02:43 PM
Might as well move on to the other choices cos no way he wins...

# 3 catch212 @ 12/12/12 02:46 PM
I swear, if I have to stare at Bryce Harper's mug on the loading screen all year....!

# 4 zack4070 @ 12/12/12 02:49 PM
Yeah no thanks. Its like when Vince Young got put on the Madden cover after his rookie season. Just hype.

# 5 dlk90514 @ 12/12/12 03:10 PM
Quote:
Other upgrades Russell described involved a complex formula in the game's franchise mode, whereby team payroll—i.e., management's willingness to spend—will expand or contract relative to the team's success, and not just because a team made the playoffs or won a World Series. Teams like the Padres will never spend like teams like the Yankees, and vice versa. But especially in Road to the Show, if you end up in a small market or a perennial loser, and take them to a breakout season, you have a reasonable hope of seeing management spend for a supporting cast to get your club further into October, without stranding you there until you become an unrestricted free agent.

This is very intriguing to me; I was hoping that the economics within the franchise mode got some freshness added to it. I take this as teams, for example, like the Orioles will spend more since they have become relevant again. I glad that have found a way to implement a system like this into the game. Hopefully the further you get into the franchise the more the landscape will change.

# 6 Blzer @ 12/12/12 03:28 PM
I wish him the best of luck down the road, but he hasn't earned anything yet. He doesn't get my vote.

# 7 franch1se @ 12/12/12 03:44 PM
As much as it would kill me to miss a year of this game. I would not buy it if Harper gets the cover

# 8 sydrogerdavid @ 12/12/12 03:45 PM
With this news comes some very minor tweeks for Busch Stadium.

See they added a new The Show ad beside the RF foul pole as well as adding it right above where the Tanning Company ad is in real life and made the 2nd deck ad static instead of being a LED board.

I'm sad to see that the people in the upper deck still have no way to get down from their seats. They must repel onto the next deck or something similar.

# 9 bp4baseball @ 12/12/12 03:49 PM
Sounds like they really put some work into RTTS. It'll be interesting to see how many suggestions from that feedback thread made it back in. Also really happy to hear about the scouts in franchise.

# 10 jr86 @ 12/12/12 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by franch1se
As much as it would kill me to miss a year of this game. I would not buy it if Harper gets the cover
Hopefully you are joking...otherwise very SCARY..

# 11 Russell_SCEA @ 12/12/12 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlk90514
This is very intriguing to me; I was hoping that the economics within the franchise mode got some freshness added to it. I take this as teams, for example, like the Orioles will spend more since they have become relevant again. I glad that have found a way to implement a system like this into the game. Hopefully the further you get into the franchise the more the landscape will change.
That's the plan

# 12 HustlinOwl @ 12/12/12 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
That's the plan
same for online????

# 13 PsychoBulk @ 12/12/12 03:59 PM
Quote:
Other upgrades Russell described involved a complex formula in the game's franchise mode, whereby team payroll—i.e., management's willingness to spend—will expand or contract relative to the team's success, and not just because a team made the playoffs or won a World Series.
Now that i do like the sound of.

I dont ever expect The Show to compete with OOTP in terms of the depth of the financials, but its great to hear they are finally deepening it somewhat and making it relevant to your on field performance.

Great little tidbit, keep them coming

# 14 Russell_SCEA @ 12/12/12 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HustlinOwl
same for online????
There are no budgets for online?

# 15 tnixen @ 12/12/12 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ;
"Russell said hitting timing will be adjusted slightly in MLB 13 The Show to give batters a more satisfying payoff on solid contact. "You're going to see more offense like you do in real life," he said, addressing criticisms that The Show's rigorous contact physics last year made the game a station-to-station game of base hits for most novices. "If you square up on a fastball, it's going to be hit harder than it was before," Russell added. "People are going to be very surprised.".
Sounds like this could lead to more doubles and triples perhaps?

# 16 RandyBass @ 12/12/12 04:12 PM
So when are they going to announce create a stadium?

# 17 tnixen @ 12/12/12 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBass
So when are they going to announce create a stadium?
MLB 16 The Show on PS4

# 18 Russell_SCEA @ 12/12/12 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnixen
Sounds like this could lead to more doubles and trippers perhaps?
Yes but those won't be caused by the timing window being increased. The ball physics and hit types are being affected by our Tru Ball Physics Engine 2.0. (Did I just drop an Easter egg)

# 19 tnixen @ 12/12/12 04:17 PM
Quote:
Yes but those won't be caused by the timing window being increased. The ball physics and hit types are being affected by our Tru Ball Physics Engine 2.0. (Did I just drop an Easter egg)

YES YES YES!!!

Thanks for the inside info!

# 20 doubledeuceR6 @ 12/12/12 04:18 PM
Quote:

Don't stop, keep'em coming!

« Previous123456Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.