Home
MLB 2K13 News Post

In a shocking development, baseball is coming to the Xbox 360 in 2013 after all. 2K Sports has just announced MLB 2K13 will arrive on March 5th, 2013 for 360 and PS3. Kotaku's Owen Good picked up on the story earlier this morning. Check out the official press release below.

Official Press Release

2K Sports Announces Major League Baseball 2K13 and Return of the Perfect Game Challenge

Cy Young Award Winner and Tampa Bay Rays` ace David Price named cover athlete

2K Sports today announced that the Company has reached an agreement with Major League Baseball, the Major League Baseball Players Association, and Major League Baseball Advanced Media to release Major League Baseball 2K13, the next iteration of the popular MLB 2K franchise. MLB 2K13 will be available on March 5, 2013,for the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PlayStation3 computer entertainment system.

"We`d like to thank our league partners for their support in helping us reach an agreement to bring back MLB 2K," said Jason Argent, vice president of marketing for 2K Sports. "We know fans are extremely passionate about the MLB 2K series and the Perfect Game Challenge."

David Price, ace pitcher for the Tampa Bay Rays, has been selected as the cover athlete for MLB 2K13. Price was recently named the American League Cy Young Award winner after posting a 20-5 record and league-best 2.56 ERA. Price edged out MLB 2K12 cover athlete Justin Verlander for the honors, and is the third consecutive reigning Cy Young Award winner to grace the cover of an MLB 2K game.

"It`s a dream come true to appear on the cover of MLB 2K13," concluded Price, who helped lead the Rays to their fourth 90-win season in the last five years. "I`m looking forward to working with the 2K Sports team again, and welcoming another skilled gamer into `The Perfect Club.`"

The Perfect Game Challenge*, 2K Sports` groundbreaking $1 million competition, will also be returning for a fourth consecutive year and introduce a new contest format with exciting ways to win. Since 2010, 2K Sports has awarded $3 million in prize money to players exhibiting the highest caliber of skill in throwing a perfect game in MLB 2K. Last year`s Perfect Game Challenge achieved record participation numbers, with nearly 1 million attempts made and more than 1,000 perfect games registered. The contest was won by 21-year-old Christopher Gilmore, who prevailed in an eight-person tournament at the MLB FanCave in New York City. Complete details of this year`s contest will be announced at a later date.

Developed by Visual Concepts, a 2K Sports studio, MLB2K13 is not yet rated by the ESRB and will be available on March 5, 2013 for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 system.

For more information on 2K Sports, visit www.2KSports.com.

For more information on MLB 2K13, visit http://www.facebook.com/MLB2K.

Source - There Will Be Baseball on the Xbox 360; Major League Baseball 2K13 Returns (Kotaku)

Major League Baseball 2K13 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: Major League Baseball 2K13Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 14 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 141 tvman @ 01/11/13 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonadom
Then you have absolutely no right to mention it. You are clearly biased and don't have an open mind. One could even question your love of the sport just because of not trying every MLB option available. Not even trying it at a kiosk ? Why ?

# 142 Blzer @ 01/11/13 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt Oread
Didn't that get patched in for 2K10?

The mechanic works perfectly in 2K12. It was glitched in 2K11, as every check swing was called a strike. But I don't see the problem with the check swing in 2K12.
If I recall, don't you have to pull back/double-tap the swing button to check it? I don't believe it was pressure-sensitive. If it was, I don't recall it being that useful in the 2K11 and 2K12 demos.

I own 2K10, and the only way you can check swing is by intentionally doing so before you swing... and even then that's still a "maybe".

# 143 CMH @ 01/11/13 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonadom
Then you have absolutely no right to mention it. You are clearly biased and don't have an open mind. One could even question your love of the sport just because of not trying every MLB option available. Not even trying it at a kiosk ? Why ?
And to challenge his opinion with comments like "That is not true. It isn't up for debate either" isn't biased?

Drop it. Both of you. This is going no where and it's very clear, VERY CLEAR that there is an agenda on both ends and not just from you two. Quit it. Everyone.

# 144 mcarr74 @ 01/11/13 03:59 PM
Mkharsh i totally agree with you this is the funnest game to play and i dont care what other people say and bash it i love it and will continue to love it with guys like you and Bretzky updating it.

cmon March 5th

# 145 tvman @ 01/11/13 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
If I recall, don't you have to pull back/double-tap the swing button to check it? I don't believe it was pressure-sensitive. If it was, I don't recall it being that useful in the 2K11 and 2K12 demos.

I own 2K10, and the only way you can check swing is by intentionally doing so before you swing... and even then that's still a "maybe".
Check swinging with a button works but not to where it's usable, at least not for me. It's the one thing or should I say one of the things i'm hoping they can correct in 13 but not holding my breath.

# 146 tvman @ 01/11/13 04:08 PM
Quote:
I have no idea if you can check swing by using the buttons, as no game ever made that a useful feature.

But if you use the stick to swing, it's as simple as pulling back when you change your mind. It's intuitive, and over time easy to pull off. I estimate that I pull off a successful check swing 6-10 times a game. Maybe more.

The one thing I do miss is getting as many check swings that result in soft grounders or virtual bunts. 2K9 seemed to have that mix better.

The broken check swing in 2K11 really killed me. I was disgusted by getting a strike for every check swing that I just went to button hitting so I wasn't tempted. But it worked great in 2K12.
I need to try the stick, it's just that i'm old old school and prefer button swinging.

# 147 Blzer @ 01/11/13 04:23 PM
Quote:
Once you get a feel for the stick ,you won't want to go back. The trick is in coming up with a decent approach to the power/contact swing conundrum.
And this is the one reason I don't want to use it.

In ESPN MLB 2K5, I adjusted sliders so that I could always use the power swing, and it worked well. In this game, it's not exactly the same. Power swing is more like "home run swing" here, with more fly balls and what not.

I miss ESPN Major League Baseball.

# 148 Blzer @ 01/11/13 08:09 PM
Quote:
But really, the devs have never explained how they intend it to be used, so it is just guys on the internet conjecturing. Some use power swings with power hitters and contact swings with everyone else. Some use power swing with everyone, all of the time, but use contact with two strikes.
You're right, I think this is what I meant to say.

They once said that it would be a disservice to hit power with contact hitters, and contact with power hitters. That leaves me saying "What the hell, man?" That's going to give power hitters more home runs than they should, and contact hitters less. It would be more appropriate to just have a "one button swing," which is why I like to use classic swinging (the X button).

The problem is that I think that option chooses what kind of swing for you, but oh well...

# 149 pistolpete @ 01/11/13 08:22 PM
Quote:
They once said that it would be a disservice to hit power with contact hitters
I recall on 2k11 before the patch when every hit was a weak liner contact hitters literally couldn't hit the ball out of the infield.

# 150 Bluejaysfan65 @ 01/12/13 12:47 AM
I hope the graphics and player faces look better that in last year's game. Last year's game just looked visually horrible.

# 151 horrormaster @ 01/12/13 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvman
With #2 I think your referring to the show cause I don't find any games predetermined in 2k.
I played something like 90 season games + another 50 MyPlayer games and after awhile it just felt like no matter how well or poor you play, the game has already decided the outcome. You could make all the right pitches, plays, and at bats, but the game will cause them to hit or pitch just good enough to win. Always happened after the 5th inning too. Just like in Madden how you could dominate for 3 quarters and then the AI would dominate for an entire quarter to try and keep the game close and competitive.

# 152 pistolpete @ 01/12/13 04:59 PM
You know what happens on 2k12 (it happened on the Show and in real life too) is that in the 6th inning hitters are on to you. I don't know how many games I've played between 2k11 and 2k12 but I know when I start that inning I better have someone on the pen in case of trouble. If I get through that inning though I know I've got a good chance at a win bc in the 7th you can use situational pitchers and then in the 8th and 9th you can go set up and closer.

# 153 bxphenom7 @ 01/13/13 06:11 PM
I expect nothing from MLB 2k, just not as good as NBA 2k. I'll stick with MLB The Show as usual, but some good competition would be a welcomed surprise.

# 154 lavy23 @ 01/24/13 10:02 PM
This is my expectations for MLB 2K13:
New Astros Uniforms
Updated Roster

and that's it

# 155 rudyjuly2 @ 01/26/13 05:39 AM
Quote:
You're right, I think this is what I meant to say.

They once said that it would be a disservice to hit power with contact hitters, and contact with power hitters. That leaves me saying "What the hell, man?" That's going to give power hitters more home runs than they should, and contact hitters less. It would be more appropriate to just have a "one button swing," which is why I like to use classic swinging (the X button).

The problem is that I think that option chooses what kind of swing for you, but oh well...
Totally agree. I like the analog swing myself but in 2K10 and 11 it led to too many HRs for my power guys while guys that hit less than 10 HRs annually would hit 0. The problem isn't the system but that there is too big a difference between the contact and power swing. The one thing I do like about the contact swing is that I feel this was the only game that made that slappy hitter valuable. Most baseball games made the low average, high power guy like Marcus Thames a good baseball player. And high average low power guys generally sucked but this game does it fairly well. Just need to tune that gap a bit closer IMO.

# 156 snaz16 @ 01/27/13 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavy23
This is my expectations for MLB 2K13:
New Astros Uniforms
Updated Roster

and that's it
Well if you decide to buy it then you should be pleasantly surprised when the Astros are in the AL and the new playoff format is in also

# 157 NeinNeinNein999 @ 01/28/13 12:04 AM
*screams out oh happiness*

# 158 shogunofharlem3 @ 01/28/13 11:48 AM
I understand the glitz and glimmer of 2k7 but it really wasn't a great game. I prefer 2k12 miles more than 2k7. Just my opinion.

Yes, 2k7 graphics were great but gameplay wasn't there. As a matter of fact I tried to play about 2 weeks ago, ugh. Went back to 2k12, much much better game of baseball, albeit, ugly at times.

# 159 Yeah...THAT Guy @ 01/28/13 01:42 PM
Definitely going to approach this game with a wait-and-see approach. I bought 2k12 and barely ended up playing it. Just couldn't get into it this year for some reason.

# 160 Money99 @ 01/28/13 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by destructocid
I'll probably get grilled for this,but 2k should go back to mlb2k7, update the rosters and faces, implement the new controls and so on. 2k7 at the very least is a great place to start. It would be a great foundation to build on to and I don't understand why everything fell apart after 2k7. And why not take the million dollar marketing gimmick and put it into producing a better product?
I've heard so many people rave about 2K7, but never played it myself.
I was wondering what that game did right? What made that game so great?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.