Home
MLB 13 The Show News Post

Here is one of the better videos of MLB 13 The Show, coming from CES 2013. In this video, you can clearly see the new scorebug, Russell mentions you can turn off all On Screen Displays (OSD's), a very brief look at Franchise, Jeter's stance is fixed and more.

Game: MLB 13 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3Votes for game: 36 - View All
MLB 13 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 101 fnz21 @ 01/10/13 02:32 PM
Did anyone else notice that Ramone said Dickey's rating was "98 or 99"? Think they're moving to a more number-based ratings system? I know they have numbers in edit player, maybe they're getting rid of the bar altogether. I'm probably reading too much into it though.

# 102 SoxFan01605 @ 01/10/13 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnz21
Did anyone else notice that Ramone said Dickey's rating was "98 or 99"? Think they're moving to a more number-based ratings system? I know they have numbers in edit player, maybe they're getting rid of the bar altogether. I'm probably reading too much into it though.
I might be mistaken, but I think he alluded to having both numbers and bars in the game now in one of the threads here at some point.

I'm not a fan (in fact, I would have gone 100% in the other way and removed it all!) but I get that the broader audience wants it (I miss Kolbe's "F U" policy on the subject).

# 103 Splitter77 @ 01/10/13 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
It has to do with the speed of the game, the Show runs on the faster side of things so the reaction time when it transitions to the field would hamper the user on making the play. There would have to be more CPU assistance then there is now. People do not like the amount of CPU assistance we currently have, so adding more would not please the masses. I am sure things could be changed on the design side to make it work but it comes down to priorities and there are more pressing issues.
i disagree 100%.
youd know where the ball is going though if you could see it. The way they have it now, you dont know where its going until it switches to fielding view.
thats a lame excuse.

# 104 seanjeezy @ 01/10/13 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
I might be mistaken, but I think he alluded to having both numbers and bars in the game now in one of the threads here at some point.

I'm not a fan (in fact, I would have gone 100% in the other way and removed it all!) but I get that the broader audience wants it (I miss Kolbe's "F U" policy on the subject).
My thoughts exactly... If anyone's ever ventured into the forums of other games that use a numerical rating system, these are typical comments when ratings are released:

"Why is Kevin Durant a 95?!?!? He should be at least a 96!"

"Well if Michael Jordan is a 99, no one else should be over a 90..."

"Even though the rating system caps out at 99, Jordan is probably a 120 or something..."

At the expense of sounding hypocritical, If Dickey is a 98 or 99, what are the true ace pitchers rated? Are Verlander, Felix, and Kershaw in the 140-150 range? Because that's how much better they are than Dickey...

# 105 bcruise @ 01/10/13 03:10 PM
I'm picturing Knight foaming at the mouth reading about the number attribute discussion again.

# 106 DodgerFanatic2K3 @ 01/10/13 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
Does that jog anyone else's memory that might remember better?
I thought it was a running gag about Jayson Heyward's real picture not being in the game

# 107 sink4ever @ 01/10/13 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter77
i disagree 100%.
youd know where the ball is going though if you could see it. The way they have it now, you dont know where its going until it switches to fielding view.
thats a lame excuse.
It's not really a "lame excuse". Someone correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think the idea is that for every split second the camera remains in the first angle (behind the pitcher or whatever), it takes away a split second at the following fielding view. Therefore, there is slightly less time to react when the camera switches to the fielding view, necessitating more CPU control so that the fielder's are moving at the crack of the bat.

# 108 nemesis04 @ 01/10/13 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter77
i disagree 100%.
thats a lame excuse.
You have every right to disagree but to call it a lame excuse is a little off base imo.

# 109 tvman @ 01/10/13 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sink4ever
It's not really a "lame excuse". Someone correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think the idea is that for every split second the camera remains in the first angle (behind the pitcher or whatever), it takes away a split second at the following fielding view. Therefore, there is slightly less time to react when the camera switches to the fielding view, necessitating more CPU control so that the fielder's are moving at the crack of the bat.
Using PYS as an example you can play that game with zero cpu fielding assist (by that I mean they won't move AT ALL unless you make them) and still get good jumps on a hit ball by seeing where it is going so that you can actually start moving your fielder before it even switches to fielding view. That said I do use assist when fielding but I know many that don't.

# 110 tvman @ 01/10/13 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
It has to do with the speed of the game, the Show runs on the faster side of things so the reaction time when it transitions to the field would hamper the user on making the play. There would have to be more CPU assistance then there is now. People do not like the amount of CPU assistance we currently have, so adding more would not please the masses. I am sure things could be changed on the design side to make it work but it comes down to priorities and there are more pressing issues.
Thanks for your explanation. Here's hoping that someday they will change it though.

# 111 DodgerFanatic2K3 @ 01/10/13 04:36 PM
After hearing that all the OSD's can be turned off I want to know if there's an option to just turn off the MLB 13 The Show OSD at the top of the scorebug to make it look totally like a real broadcast or at least consider making it drop down after every first pitch

# 112 ksig24 @ 01/10/13 04:45 PM
How about a little love on that Scouting page! I see randomized names. How about a real Scout!

# 113 Factzzz @ 01/10/13 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanjeezy
At the expense of sounding hypocritical, If Dickey is a 98 or 99, what are the true ace pitchers rated? Are Verlander, Felix, and Kershaw in the 140-150 range? Because that's how much better they are than Dickey...
Well that's pretty ignorant IMO, he won Cy Young last year for a reason, and over the last 3 years, his numbers are nearly just as good as them, borderline better than the King.

Last 3 seasons :

Dickey -> 39-28 -> 2.95 ERA
Felix -> 40-35 -> 2.93 ERA

# 114 Majingir @ 01/10/13 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factzzz
Well that's pretty ignorant IMO, he won Cy Young last year for a reason, and over the last 3 years, his numbers are nearly just as good as them, borderline better than the King.
But if Dickeys numbers are good enough to be 98-99, I guess the rating system is just based on the present and not the past. Meaning if it were based on the past, the best guy of today might get a low-mid 90s but not high 90s since high 90s would be for greatest players in baseball history.

And while there is about a 10 year age difference between the 2...
In past 3 years
Hernandez:2.92ERA,1.138WHIP,3.51K-BB ratio
Dickey:2.95ERA,1.150WHIP,3.12K-BB ratio

So both guys fairly close.

# 115 Factzzz @ 01/10/13 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballin23
I don't think we should be comparing Dickey and the king
That's just because one of them is named "RA Dickey," and the other is named "Felix Hernandez," other than that there is no reason not to compare their numbers.

# 116 seanjeezy @ 01/10/13 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factzzz

Last 3 seasons :

Dickey -> 39-28 -> 2.95 ERA
Felix -> 40-35 -> 2.93 ERA
Because win/loss record and ERA are the best ways to judge how good a pitcher is right?

# 117 Factzzz @ 01/10/13 05:07 PM
Quote:
Because win/loss record and ERA are the best ways to judge how good a pitcher is right?
Bottom line what improves teams records? wins and era.

# 118 tabarnes19_SDS @ 01/10/13 05:07 PM
Quote:
My thoughts exactly... If anyone's ever ventured into the forums of other games that use a numerical rating system, these are typical comments when ratings are released:

"Why is Kevin Durant a 95?!?!? He should be at least a 96!"

"Well if Michael Jordan is a 99, no one else should be over a 90..."

"Even though the rating system caps out at 99, Jordan is probably a 120 or something..."

This is why I hate numerical ratings. If there is a option to toggle it off as Ramone alluded to, then that will be the ABSOLUTE first thing I do when I get the game.

# 119 moose616 @ 01/10/13 05:07 PM
Quote:
I guess it makes sense compare someone who has 60 wins at age 38 to someone who has 100 at 26...if were gonna base it off one year might as well make tim lincecum one of the worst in the game
By that logic, Mike Trout shouldn't have a rating at all...

# 120 Factzzz @ 01/10/13 05:08 PM
Quote:
I guess it makes sense compare someone who has 60 wins at age 38 to someone who has 100 at 26...if were gonna base it off one year might as well make tim lincecum one of the worst in the game
Last 3 years kid

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.