Home
MLB 13 The Show News Post

Here is one of the better videos of MLB 13 The Show, coming from CES 2013. In this video, you can clearly see the new scorebug, Russell mentions you can turn off all On Screen Displays (OSD's), a very brief look at Franchise, Jeter's stance is fixed and more.

Game: MLB 13 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3Votes for game: 36 - View All
MLB 13 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 161 UMhester04 @ 01/10/13 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseballking888
The Cano stance isn't that bad. Not too sure why I've seen people complaining about it.

IMO it looks nothing likehis batting stance in real life, last years was pretty much spot on.

# 162 seanjeezy @ 01/10/13 08:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
I don't know if it was just me, but on the very first hit: Fielders seem to make more realistic attempts at the ball, and the "I can't reach it" animation seems like it was delayed so that it starts later. Might just be me though?

I liked the play at the plate - where Ramone was like "he got gunned"
- and how the tag application matched the slide, instead of the catcher just doing random things - which is what I felt happened in previous years.

I love being OSD-free!!!

And finally it was nice to see a hitter get legitimately jammed (6:15 roughly). That just waasn't properly translated in previous years, and the hits usually went foul above anything else.
The Brett Gardner slide looked like a new animation as well, although from a realism/logic standpoint that was a poor choice for the 3rd base coach to send the runner, Bautista was already in a throwing motion before Gardner had rounded the base...

# 163 Baseballking888 @ 01/10/13 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UMhester04
IMO it looks nothing likehis batting stance in real life, last years was pretty much spot on.
His stance from last year's wasn't bad either, but had too much wiggle. They got the amount of movement right, but the bat positioning needs to be a bit more down.

# 164 renatus @ 01/10/13 09:39 PM
new franchise looks great.now just have to be able to play more than 1 year of the mode.i want to draft some guys and use them on my mlb team but baseball season is soooooo long tīs hard

# 165 decga @ 01/10/13 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatus
new franchise looks great.now just have to be able to play more than 1 year of the mode.i want to draft some guys and use them on my mlb team but baseball season is soooooo long tīs hard
I think in order to this is start your franchise right away when the game drops. If you don't worry about the correct lineups and players on teams. Because the real MLB season starts in April. Play 2 - 3 games a day. You should be able to get in a season or 2.

# 166 queman11 @ 01/11/13 12:09 AM
Not sure if anyone noticed, but at 2:37 the OD batter has glasses on!

# 167 queman11 @ 01/11/13 12:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanjeezy
Any guesses to what the symbols mean in the franchise screenie? There's a barbell, DNA strand, bicep, bat hitting a ball, a hand with an L, and a glove...

My guesses:

Bicep - raw strength/ability
Barbell - work ethic/aptitude
DNA - bloodlines/projectability
Hand - ?
Glove - fielding ability
Hand probably is RH or LH Pitcher

# 168 nomo17k @ 01/11/13 01:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sink4ever
It's not really a "lame excuse". Someone correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think the idea is that for every split second the camera remains in the first angle (behind the pitcher or whatever), it takes away a split second at the following fielding view. Therefore, there is slightly less time to react when the camera switches to the fielding view, necessitating more CPU control so that the fielder's are moving at the crack of the bat.

I don't exactly remember how the game does it, but I think PYS shows the ball trajectory for an extended time after the bat contact, but then turn back the clock a split second so that in the new fielding view you aren't really losing time to control fielders.

I don't necessarily like that approach since it takes away the real-time aspect of the game, but if having accurate control over fielders is the prime importance, then that is an option.

But everything in the Show happens basically on the same speed as in real life, so there must be some aspect of fielding assist mechanism anyways (perhaps except in RTTS...). Without such a mechanism, I think the game won't be playable. So my impression is that even if the Show removes a split second after the bat contact from the fielding view, I don't think the fielding control suffers that much overall.

# 169 rspencer86 @ 01/11/13 01:59 AM
Just wanted to thank the devs for including the option to turn off all the on-screen displays. Something that I have wanted for a very long time! It's a beautiful game and sometimes I just would prefer a more clean look.

# 170 nomo17k @ 01/11/13 03:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabarnes19
The problem with numerical ratings is that people get hung up on the numbers instead of how the player performs. Sure there were ratings bars before(and I could view the ratings in the editor, but I couldn't access that info in game) but the Overall was so ambiguous that it made it difficult to determine who was rated higher.

This allows for a more realistic experience as a GM or coach. Girardi doesn't look down the bench and say, "hmmm I need a pinch hitter rated 80 or higher and he needs at least a 75 contact vs left and 85 power."

Like was stated before, as well, ratings are based off a formula based on position and a combination of ratings spit out of a formula to give you a number. So I'll have to choose between my 98 pitcher or 99 pitcher..
And it also should be emphasized that hiding the true player ratings (which roughly equal to numerical ratings since they are what most games use) is not only right for the realism and authenticity of the experience in sports gaming context, but also great because evaluating player talents becomes the game by itself.

After all that's why ball clubs spend a lot of resources into player evaluation and development... we really don't know for sure the players that we invest in are what we think they are. Some players are hidden gems, others are bust. Some are overrated, others are underrated. And perception is subjective... a manager might highly tout one prospect but other managers may not.... We really don't know what comes out till we let them play on the field.

Doesn't that actually constitute a large part of what we really want to experience in franchise mode? Not just winning and losing on the sport itself, but about evaluating and developing the talents? Number ratings that truly reflect player abilities robs us of that experience.

I hope the Show becomes the trailblazer in this direction...

.. if the Show starts showing tiny number ratings in every display real estate that it can find, that may be the day that I stop playing and start dedicating all my gaming time to Catherine...

# 171 ARMORALLL @ 01/11/13 03:44 AM
All I got was some stupid video about a watch. Lol

# 172 RoyalBoyle78 @ 01/11/13 10:39 AM
I cant stop watching this video over and over again, this game cant come soon enough!!!!

# 173 Knight165 @ 01/11/13 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
And it also should be emphasized that hiding the true player ratings (which roughly equal to numerical ratings since they are what most games use) is not only right for the realism and authenticity of the experience in sports gaming context, but also great because evaluating player talents becomes the game by itself.

After all that's why ball clubs spend a lot of resources into player evaluation and development... we really don't know for sure the players that we invest in are what we think they are. Some players are hidden gems, others are bust. Some are overrated, others are underrated. And perception is subjective... a manager might highly tout one prospect but other managers may not.... We really don't know what comes out till we let them play on the field.

Doesn't that actually constitute a large part of what we really want to experience in franchise mode? Not just winning and losing on the sport itself, but about evaluating and developing the talents? Number ratings that truly reflect player abilities robs us of that experience.

I hope the Show becomes the trailblazer in this direction...

.. if the Show starts showing tiny number ratings in every display real estate that it can find, that may be the day that I stop playing and start dedicating all my gaming time to Catherine...

EXCELLENT point.

M.K.
Knight165

# 174 bukktown @ 01/11/13 12:24 PM
Does anybody know if you can use meter pitching and turn the meter off?

Since you can now turn off OSD, I hope this is the case.

# 175 nemesis04 @ 01/11/13 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bukktown
Does anybody know if you can use meter pitching and turn the meter off?

Since you can now turn off OSD, I hope this is the case.
Might as well use classic pitching if you are going to do that.

# 176 Blzer @ 01/11/13 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
Might as well use classic pitching if you are going to do that.
I think it's more of a "time your button presses by the pitcher's windup and release point." I did the same with kicking in Backbreaker (hid the meter even though it was still really "on"). I was doing the same for analog fielding for a while.

# 177 nemesis04 @ 01/11/13 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I think it's more of a "time your button presses by the pitcher's windup and release point." I did the same with kicking in Backbreaker (hid the meter even though it was still really "on"). I was doing the same for analog fielding for a while.
I can see it for analog throwing because you don't need it but for pitching it seems way too tedious when you already have a pitching mechanic that does not use a OSD to begin with.

# 178 Blzer @ 01/11/13 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
I can see it for analog throwing because you don't need it but for pitching it seems way too tedious when you already have a pitching mechanic that does not use a OSD to begin with.
I don't disagree. The guy is just wondering is all.

Then again, that might be like saying we couldn't turn off the PCI for hitting because we already have a timed hitting mechanism.

# 179 nemesis04 @ 01/11/13 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I don't disagree. The guy is just wondering is all.
I know, I just thought it was unusual. But I know people like to play different ways which is cool.

# 180 Jordan93 @ 01/11/13 04:19 PM
Now that Dickey has a CY young will his hard knuckleball be in the game or will it still be mid 60's. He throws mostly in the 70's and has hit 82 MPH.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.