Home
MLB 13 The Show News Post

IGN has posted this MLB 13 The Show video, which features Ramone Russell discussing Franchise and Road to the Show changes. You can see some gameplay in the background.

Game: MLB 13 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3Votes for game: 36 - View All
MLB 13 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 21 thaSLAB @ 01/25/13 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseballking888
I see that Fielder's dreads made it into the game!
They were actually tweaking them while we were there too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOldboy
And that chopper behind the plate by Sandoval scares me. I thought the new physics were going to reduce the excessive balls chopped backwards. It happens in real life, but not even close to how often players will hit choppers backwards in the show.
And that makes a total of how many times you've seen it from all the MLB 13 footage we've seen so far? Also, if anything that should be encouraging because it didn't bounce 30 feet in the air, right? And frequency isn't an issue because that is dependent on the PCI placement and timing (which we already know has been opened up.)

I won't get into batting stances, because it's a moot point. I say that because Cano's stance was even different when we were at CD, and his stance from MLB12 is still in the game.

# 22 nemesis04 @ 01/25/13 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curahee
Thats not what its showing in the video. The video only shows the ball flashing red, not the SZ.
That is because they only guessed pitch type.

# 23 Curahee @ 01/25/13 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
That is because they only guessed pitch type.

Gotcha!

So if they had guessed location too and were wrong, theyd get nothing?
Or if they had guessed location and were right, theyd get both?
But if they only guess one and get it right they get the feedback only for that segment?

# 24 nemesis04 @ 01/25/13 12:30 PM
Quote:
Gotcha!

So if they had guessed location too and were wrong, theyd get nothing?
Or if they had guessed location and were right, theyd get both?
But if they only guess one and get it right they get the feedback only for that segment?
Guess pitch type only correctly: Red ball flash
Guess zone location only: That quadrant flashes red.
Guess both correctly: The quadrant and border of the strike one will flash red. No red ball flash.
Guess either one or both incorrectly: No visual feedback.
Guess both pitch type and location and get only one correct: No visual feedback.

# 25 MrOldboy @ 01/25/13 12:32 PM
Quote:
I understand where youre coming from but I think the issue is that it would be almost impossible to get every player to do a mo-cap on their stance and swing. I dont know if they still do, but in the past they used the "Batting Stance Guy" to replicate the stances. Some, they may even had to create themselves. (IDK, Im not a Dev). But the only way to get them 100% perfect is to get all 1200 players in studio to mo-cap and I cant imagine that it would be just that easy, as if it were easy at all.

As for guys like Cano, YES his stance, swing, walk, etc should be 100% but it will never be unless he comes in and does it himself. Otherwise it will always be impersonated by the over-animated BSG! <-- Not his biggest fan!
That's not what I was implying. I'm simply saying that when they get the stances wrong, which is often, it is upsetting no matter how one wants to justify it. Its not like the stances are slightly off, its big things some times. Usually you can see what they were going for, but then its hard to understand why it looks so off. Its something I've come to live with because its just one part of The Show that just seems to be off each year. Which is why I'm always so eager to see the new ones every year. I hope they get them right, but I don't expect them to. Which shouldn't be the case for a game like this, I should expect them to get it spot on each year due. But in the end its still upsetting to see.

Its sometimes baffling why they chose to put work into some player's stances yet don't with others. And yes, the BSG is terrible. Its not the basic stance that confuses me though, its the smaller things about the stance. For instance in Starlin Castro's new stance, why does he constantly wave the bat? He doesn't do that in real life. I can understand getting the openness of his stance, of his front toe, but the bat waving had to be mocapped or animated. Why? Someone thought that was accurate at some point. Maybe they should look at either their system for the stances or maybe the devs working on them and see if something needs to be addressed.

# 26 MrOldboy @ 01/25/13 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsHOF
I'm a little disappointed in the Cubs stances as well. Soriano's has been wrong for several years now. I know last year I was able to use someone else's for Castro but there was no good fix for Soriano. It's not a big deal for me because in the game I actually rake with Sorianos stance I love it lol! It would have been nice to see, but I think with all the other fixes and additions that stances out of the box would be lower down on the list.
But they put them at the top of the fact sheet. If they are going to put them up there implying that they want to brag about all the new stances and pitching motions in the game. But they should brag about the quality and accuracy of the stances and not how many.

# 27 Russell_SCEA @ 01/25/13 02:08 PM
Quote:
But they put them at the top of the fact sheet. If they are going to put them up there implying that they want to brag about all the new stances and pitching motions in the game. But they should brag about the quality and accuracy of the stances and not how many.
Where is your logic coming from about bragging? It's a fact sheet stating features and changes as a mater of fact.

There are over 750 players in the MLB not everyone's stance is going to be perfect. We also don't have thousands of hours to sit here and make sure so and so's bat wiggle is exactly like it is in real life.

The sooner you and others realize this isn't a perfect science the better. Players change their stances mid season, sometimes they alter things from series to series.

# 28 Curahee @ 01/25/13 02:12 PM
Quote:
That's not what I was implying. I'm simply saying that when they get the stances wrong, which is often, it is upsetting no matter how one wants to justify it. Its not like the stances are slightly off, its big things some times. Usually you can see what they were going for, but then its hard to understand why it looks so off.
OK? But did you get what Im implying?
Im implying that they cant get the stances perfectly right unless the actual players do the mo-cap.

# 29 Curahee @ 01/25/13 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarke99
On what planet do you think this could actually happen? there is an ambundance of stances to choose from and now follow throughs, HR swing etc, relax
I dont! Thats the point Im trying to make! Take a moment and read the whole conversation, not just one comment.

People are complaining about stances not being correct. (NOT ME)
Theyre not going to be 100% correct when you have some guy imitating the stances like has been done in the past with MLBTS. The only way they will be perfect is if the players do the stances themselves. It is not likely that SCEA will get all 1200 players to mo-cap their stances. So we're just gonna have to accept what we got.

# 30 thaSLAB @ 01/25/13 03:29 PM
One thing that has to be noted, is the fact that Ramone is really a superhero! He managed to be do all these previews AND be there for CD! And didn't miss a beat...

# 31 BenGerman @ 01/25/13 03:37 PM
Lots of other developers could learn from the kind of interaction we get from Russell. Want to make your fans happy? Find someone like him.

# 32 nomo17k @ 01/25/13 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaSLAB
One thing that has to be noted, is the fact that Ramone is really a superhero! He managed to be do all these previews AND be there for CD! And didn't miss a beat...
I second this... He really does put in a lot of effort to make sure the voices are heard of users from various communities (of which OS is just one of them), while representing the game in all those events.

# 33 xNobleEaglex @ 01/25/13 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanjeezy
Being a little nitpicky, but I don't like how Ramone keeps on referring to the Braves org as a pitching factory... They really haven't developed any studs for quite some time now lol
You must not watch a lot of Braves baseball lol. Brandon Beachy (2.00 ERA before TJ surgery in 2012), Kris Medlen (10-1 1.57 ERA in 2012), Jonny Venters (career 2.23 ERA with 1.24 WHIP), and Craig Kimbrel (nuf' said) disagree with you

# 34 seanjeezy @ 01/25/13 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pope300hitter05
You must not watch a lot of Braves baseball lol. Brandon Beachy (2.00 ERA before TJ surgery in 2012), Kris Medlen (10-1 1.57 ERA in 2012), Jonny Venters (career 2.23 ERA with 1.24 WHIP), and Craig Kimbrel (nuf' said) disagree with you
Sorry but those aren't aces like he said in the vid... Beachy and Medlen are strong #3's (in a scouting sense) and Kimbrel and Venters (while very good) are relievers. Maybe the labels "ace" and #1 are being thrown around too liberally these days...

# 35 xNobleEaglex @ 01/25/13 04:29 PM
Quote:
Maybe the labels "ace" and #1 are being thrown around too liberally these days...
This I agree with. There are really very few #1/"ace" type pitchers in a scouting sense in general throughout the league. I didn't listen to the audio of the vid because I'm at work, so I was mainly replying to the direct wording of your comment, which didn't hint at anything regarding scouting...more so results. In that sense, the Braves organization is absolutely a "pitching factory" in that their success is built on the quality arms that they have developed, both in the rotation and bullpen. While they haven't really developed a certifiable "ace" in a scouting sense, players like Beachy and Medlen definitely have put up "studly" numbers. And of course, home-grown relievers like Kimbrel and Venters anchor one of the best bullpens in the game.

# 36 Baseballking888 @ 01/25/13 04:45 PM
I noticed that in the second part of the Cubs vs Giants gameplay video that Marco Scutaro has a cyberface instead of an actual portrait. I'm guessing this was taken from the pre-release demo?

# 37 JayD @ 01/25/13 05:17 PM
Braves scout pitchers big time IRL and put out many good young pitchers that in many times become trade bate so not all of them will actually play at the MLB level. Look at the most recent Upton trade, the only way that it could of been done is with depth at the pitcher position which the Braves almost always have. They were willing to give away one of their top pitching prospects due to the fact they still have many top rated prospects even after. Now back on topic.

# 38 Rob_NYY @ 01/25/13 05:28 PM
All of this sounds so awesome!! This time of the year is always so difficult. Football is essentially over and, while I enjoy hockey and basketball, I am a baseball nut and nothing can really fill the gap. This time of year I'm just waiting for spring training to start and for the newest version of MLB: The Show.

I always get the baseball itch right after New Years and the wait is tortuous. I tried to play MLB 12 a few times but it's just not the same after hearing about all the new features in 13. I wish someone would freeze me in carbonite and hang me up on Jabba's wall until March 5th.

# 39 Knight165 @ 01/25/13 05:29 PM
Who cares if the team strategy for team building is "real to life"?

It's in the game and they are trying to bring more strategy into the game through these new features and that's what's important IMO.
(plus...there are no real indicators on what a team is interested in ...in regards to this...it's up to you to figure it out and I believe Aaron said it does change as the league strengths change throughout franchise)

All of the new additions are definitely "Step 1" in their introduction and the directions in which the dev team plans on taking these(and more) are pretty impressive.

M.K.
Knight165

# 40 catch212 @ 01/25/13 06:13 PM
Quote:
Being a little nitpicky, but I don't like how Ramone keeps on referring to the Braves org as a pitching factory... They really haven't developed any studs for quite some time now lol
Medlen, Minor, Beachy, Venters, Teheran, Kimbrel, etc.

And those are only the guys currently on their MLB staff...

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.