Home
Tiger 14 News Post

According to IGN and Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 director Mike DeVault, a more traditional DLC will be offered this year, replacing the Course Mastery system some users complained about last year.

Quote:
A bitter criticism leveled at last year’s Tiger Woods PGA Tour 13 was its disgraceful use of gougy content-walls poorly disguised as free-DLC upgrades. Players were required to grind in order to access courses...or take the option of paying EA for this content.

This year, the new Tiger Woods game will return to a saner system of DLC, offering players the simple option to buy extra courses, or not.

Speaking at an EA-organized event at the Pebble Beach golf resort yesterday, franchise director Mike DeVault told IGN, “We’ve taken that [Course Mastery] system out and are using a more traditional DLC approach.” He said the game would come with 20 courses as standard - up from 16 last year - with extra courses available to buy.

Game: Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 13 - View All
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 shupirate98 @ 02/07/13 11:53 AM
On the fence about buying this game, this probably pushes me to the wrong side of it. I am not paying $120 for a video game, no way, no how. I am also not accepting not having an entire video game that I pay $70 for. Last year's system was perfect. All I want to do is play career mode. If I can't play some of the tournaments because I don't have the courses that is impossibly lame. Last year I had the courses, this year I can't and you tell me it's not an EA problem, it's a MS problem. Well guess what I don't have an XBOX and I resent you making their problem my problem. A full summer of FIFA ahead for me it appears.

# 22 ILiveForThis @ 02/07/13 01:20 PM
I don't like this decision at all.

# 23 Danimal @ 02/07/13 03:08 PM
IMO this is the likely scenario

1. Hard core players got too many free courses
2. Only the hard core players bought the DLC to begin with
3. It impacted the sales of DLC
4. Use reviews as the reason for removing it.

This quote right here is the WTF part. He is saying their core users liked it but because it reviewed poorly we got rid of it. Even in EA land that doesn't make sense.

Quote:
DeVault said the reaction from the press had prompted a rethink but added that hardcore players - those who were willing to put the time and effort into earning coins and unlocking extra content for free - had enjoyed the option.

# 24 kickingguru @ 02/07/13 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal

This quote right here is the WTF part. He is saying their core users liked it but because it reviewed poorly we got rid of it. Even in EA land that doesn't make sense.
I believe sir.... you nailed it.....

# 25 kickingguru @ 02/07/13 04:00 PM
and... I am sure there was some kind of charge to EA every time we downloaded new content we got for free from MS at least...

# 26 Jet Sufferer @ 02/07/13 04:04 PM
I liked 13 and played it a ton.

I couldn't believe I was getting the DLC for free, I played in a CC and in a few months on PS3 I was able to get all of the courses for free. I remember trying to finish it off quick because I thought EA might change their mind!!

I knew it would be a one year thing, I was shocked last year that EA of all people let me get all those courses for free.

I'll get the edition with the extra courses this year and maybe wait for a sale to get the others, or break down and buy them all early if I like the game enough.

# 27 Jet Sufferer @ 02/07/13 04:16 PM
Oh, also LOL at the IGN article in the original post. Bashing EA about this disguisting, grinding game to get the courses for free.

Obviously they didn't even understand the system before they used it, and it's a YEAR later and they STILL don't get it.

This was the best thing EA ever did with the DLC in 13, especially for the PS3, I got the upgraded edition with a lot of courses and played the game enough to get all the DLC for free, EA didn't get any DLC money from me!! That's why it's a traditional DLC this year, they actually "gave away" stuff they always charge for!

Video Game Journalism is a joke. They should have been clapping last year, instead they throw a hissy fit over a feature that was FINALLY consumer friendly DLC. SMH!!

More companies should make their DLC as consumer friendly like Tiger 13 was, I doubt it though. Likely this will end up a one time magical miscalculation on EA's part. I'm sure others noticed too, hey, too many people took advantage of this feature!!

# 28 OnlookerDelay @ 02/07/13 05:31 PM
Quote:

All of these make sense, but the sad part is that there were a number of reviews bashing the game for its 'grind for DLC' component. Heck, if I was an EA PR rep, I'd certainly be playing that angle to the max, because there is a basis for it. Meanwhile, I would expect the revenues from DLC to be higher for 14 than they were for 13 because of this. If this game turns out to play as well as I suspect it might, I'll be willing to pony up the cash for extra courses, but I'm not representative of the customer base for this game by any stretch. I just wonder how the more casual gamer who might be buying this game of its "Legends of the Majors" feature would view DLC? Probably wouldn't give it a second look...

# 29 mcmax3000 @ 02/07/13 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingguru
and... I am sure there was some kind of charge to EA every time we downloaded new content we got for free from MS at least...
It's Sony that charges publishers for bandwidth on downloads. MS covers it with the funds from Xbox Live gold. I remember that came up in the past, I believe from a fighting game that offered some kind of free DLC on 360, but not PS3.

# 30 mcmax3000 @ 02/07/13 07:24 PM
I think a lot of game journalists, and many users, didn't take the time to fully explore last year's system.

They saw that EA was charging for coins, played a couple of normal rounds, saw how few coins they earned, and whined that EA was making it too difficult to earn courses in hopes that people would pay for coins.

Those of us that took time to really understand last year's system, found all of the ways you could earn coins, and really enjoyed it.

Unfortunately, a combination of the lower DLC revenues, and the whining seemed to lead to the feature's removal, which is honestly making me significantly less excited about this year's game.

# 31 cj24 @ 02/08/13 01:05 AM
I think the "bad reviews" angle is a strawman

# 32 TajDeni @ 02/08/13 07:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennytomson
Tiger Woods 14 PGA Tour Schedule

January
1. Farmers Insurance Open - Torrey Pines
2. Waste Management - TPC Scottsdale (DLC)
Febuary
3. Pebble Beach Pro Am - Pebble Beach / Spyglass
4. Honda Classic - PGA National
March
5. World Golf Championship - TPC Blue Monster (hist)
April
7. Texas Open – TPC San Antonio (DLC)
8. Masters – Augusta
9. Zurich Classic - TPC Louisiana
May
10. Players Championship – TPC Sawgrass
11. Crown Plaza Invitational – Colonial Country Club (DLC)
12. Memorial Invitational – Murfield
June
13. U.S. Open – Pinehurst #2 (2014) / Pebble Beach / Bethpage Black (Pre-Order) / Oakmont
14. Travelers Championship – TPC River Highands (DLC)
July
15. British Open – St. Andrews / Royal Troon / Royal Birkdale
August
16. PGA Championship – Oak Hill C.C 2013 / Vahalla 2014 / Atlantic Athletic Club 2011 / Kiawah Island 2012 / Whistling Straits 2015 (pre-order)
17. Deutsche Open – TPC Boston (DLC)
September
18. BMW Championship – Crooked Stick 2012
19. Tour Championship – East Lake
October
20. World Golf Championship – Sheshan Golf Club (hist)

Mission Hills Country Club
Royal Country Down (Hist)
Royal Melborne (Hist)
Wolf Creek Golf Club (DLC)
Celtic Manor (DLC)
Blackwolf Run (DLC)
Banff Golf Club (DLC)
Els Club (DLC)
Costa Navaino (DLC)

Fantasy DLC 4 courses
as far as the DLC, the question i have is exactly how does DLC work in relation to career mode?

from the looks of it, the normal game comes with 20 courses, but the schedule above only has 20 events. so does that mean that any given PGA season only consist of 20 events? and since the orginal already has 20 course, could i just plug the courses not being used into the career mode after the first season?

then there are the 5 extra that come with historic edition; plus 1 more if you pre-order. so all in all thats 26 courses b4 you even get to DLC. as far as career mode goes, if there are only 20 events and i have 26 courses does a person even need the DLC courses?

i just have no understanding of how the DLC works in relationship to the career mode; just how much control does the user have when it comes to DLC and career mode?

im sure there might be others who have the same type of question, so if someone could run it down, im sure alot of folks would greatly appreciate.

thanks in advance...

# 33 DivotMaker @ 02/08/13 11:38 AM
Quote:

Speculate all you like. Some of what you say MAY be factual, the rest isn't. At the end of the day, TW development decisions weigh many factors. Game review scores are but one of those factors, but when a game has an average review score that is lower than expected, you can bet that the features criticized are strongly considered for major changes or removal. With everything EA put into TW14, i can assure you there was no time to make changes that would have satisfied users and game reviewers. It is a shame that such misinformed feedback led to this feature being removed. However, each version is coming with 4 more courses than last years, so there is a bright side to this issue. Those who buy TW DLC are likely to continue. Those that did not or earned their courses for free may or may not buy. A great deal depends on how well this game is received. If the gameplay and presentation improvements are well received and the game draws more users, EA will profit and so will the community and the game's future. It is a big gamble on EA'S part and they are well aware of this as well as the subsequent criticism.

# 34 TajDeni @ 02/08/13 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour Scagnetti
I believe these are the licensed events that EA has the rights to. They'll probably be the same as last year, about 24 or 25 events. Even if it's 20 events, over 10 years (assuming it's still 10 years), that's still alot of events unless you only play 1 round tourneys. I play this game alot and I still never get past season 3 or 4 because half the time you're playing online but even if you don't, you still have 200 tournaments in career mode at the very least.
but on the list provided in my post some of the events were dlc..so how does that work if you decide not to purchase dlc?

basically in relationship to career mode does dlc even matter?

or to ask it another way, beside just owning another course for variety sake, is there some significant value to purchasing dlc. if they have a real purpose, then purchasing them becomes or not purchasing them becomes much more interesting.

edit: dont know if im good enough to play online yet, so for now ill prolly just stay offline. atleast until i get good enough to compete.

# 35 cdawg44 @ 02/08/13 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TajDeni
but on the list provided in my post some of the events were dlc..so how does that work if you decide not to purchase dlc?

basically in relationship to career mode does dlc even matter?

or to ask it another way, beside just owning another course for variety sake, is there some significant value to purchasing dlc. if they have a real purpose, then purchasing them becomes or not purchasing them becomes much more interesting.

edit: dont know if im good enough to play online yet, so for now ill prolly just stay offline. atleast until i get good enough to compete.
All tournaments in career will be avaivable to play, however if you don't have the DLC, then you just pick another course to play the tournament on. I didn't buy all the DLC, so some tournys were just played on a different course than it was in real life.

# 36 N51_rob @ 02/08/13 11:38 PM
Oh EA. I just got TW13 and was having fun with the course mastery stuff and not having to buy all the courses. I got TW13 for $10 through PS+. This decision will result in me not even purchasing TW14, unless I can get if for a similar price point. Its sad for me to say, but since TW11, I have only bought one game it it was TW13. This series has become rather stale to me, and decisions like this are what will keep me away.

# 37 N51_rob @ 02/08/13 11:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivotMaker

3) DLC courses are also used because the 360 does not have enough disc space for 44 courses. It barely has enough for 25 due to the update MS pushed out last year updating the amount of disc space available on the 360 DVD. The PS3 does have the disc space, but they will not give one platform a distinct advantage over another one. A second 360 DVD is not going to happen at this stage of the game since new consoles are possibly being released late this year. And the cost of the added DVD is still there as well as the cost of including the DLC courses on that disc, so it is about a wash in cost to the user.
This statement frustrates me to no end. If they wanted to give gamers on both systems all the courses for free they could. I understand everything that you say here and have no problem with the rationale behind the move, but it does bother me.

So my only question is this, when the next-next gen systems coming out, how many courses will be on those disk? The lack of space argument isn't really gonna play in the future.

# 38 DivotMaker @ 02/09/13 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by N51_rob
This statement frustrates me to no end. If they wanted to give gamers on both systems all the courses for free they could. I understand everything that you say here and have no problem with the rationale behind the move, but it does bother me.

So my only question is this, when the next-next gen systems coming out, how many courses will be on those disk? The lack of space argument isn't really gonna play in the future.
Good comments. I agree with the frustration. However, there is a cost to develop or update each course and my understanding is that every time a course appears in the game, there is a fee that EA pays the course, so they aren't "free" in the traditional sense of the word. And yes, I am bothered by this as well and there does not seem to be an easy explanation because EA must license EVERYTHING in TW because there is little content that comes with the PGA TOUR license unlike the franchise and Players Association licenses for Madden, FIFA, NBA, MLB, etc.....it increases the costs of developing TW when the other games do not have this issue. Costs that they can't universally absorb because of the inherently high cost of licensing in the game.

And you are right about the Gen 4 systems if the rumored 50GB BR drive comes to the 360. If true, EA is going to have to re-think their course strategies and DLC strategies. Tiger is offering 25 courses in the Historic and 20 courses in the Standard Editions....FAR more than any Golf game (PC or Console) in history. The new systems could allow them to offer every PGA TOUR course that is in the PGA TOUR season on disc, but then you still have the issue where there is no agreement with the PGA TOUR that every course on the schedule has to be in the game because there is no binding license agreement with every course and if a course does not want to be in the game, they can just say no. It will be interesting to see how this topic unfolds when the Gen 4 systems hit the market....

# 39 TajDeni @ 02/09/13 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdawg44
All tournaments in career will be avaivable to play, however if you don't have the DLC, then you just pick another course to play the tournament on. I didn't buy all the DLC, so some tournys were just played on a different course than it was in real life.
ok, i got it now

# 40 N51_rob @ 02/09/13 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivotMaker
Good comments. I agree with the frustration. However, there is a cost to develop or update each course and my understanding is that every time a course appears in the game, there is a fee that EA pays the course, so they aren't "free" in the traditional sense of the word. And yes, I am bothered by this as well and there does not seem to be an easy explanation because EA must license EVERYTHING in TW because there is little content that comes with the PGA TOUR license unlike the franchise and Players Association licenses for Madden, FIFA, NBA, MLB, etc.....it increases the costs of developing TW when the other games do not have this issue. Costs that they can't universally absorb because of the inherently high cost of licensing in the game.

And you are right about the Gen 4 systems if the rumored 50GB BR drive comes to the 360. If true, EA is going to have to re-think their course strategies and DLC strategies. Tiger is offering 25 courses in the Historic and 20 courses in the Standard Editions....FAR more than any Golf game (PC or Console) in history. The new systems could allow them to offer every PGA TOUR course that is in the PGA TOUR season on disc, but then you still have the issue where there is no agreement with the PGA TOUR that every course on the schedule has to be in the game because there is no binding license agreement with every course and if a course does not want to be in the game, they can just say no. It will be interesting to see how this topic unfolds when the Gen 4 systems hit the market....
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the PGA owned and operated all the TPC courses? If that is the case wouldn't those come with the PGA license?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.