Home
MLB 13 The Show News Post

Thanks to chrisjohnson83 (who has already confirmed his legit copy of the game with me), we have screenshots of the overall team ratings for MLB 13 The Show. This includes batting, pitching and defensive team ratings.

The ratings are accurate as of the January 24th roster update, so there will probably be subtle changes before release date on March 5th.

Overall Team Rating
  • 1. Detroit Tigers
  • 2. St. Louis Cardinals
  • 3. Boston Red Sox
  • 4. Los Angeles Angels
  • 5. Toronto Blue Jays
  • 6. Texas Rangers
  • 7. Washington Nationals
  • 8. Atlanta Braves
  • 9. Cincinnati Reds
  • 10. Philadelphia Phillies
  • 11. New York Yankees
  • 12. Los Angeles Dodgers
  • 13. Colorado Rockies
  • 14. Chicago White Sox
  • 15. Arizona Diamondbacks
  • 16. Tampa Bay Rays
  • 17. San Francisco Giants
  • 18. Oakland Athletics
  • 19. Kansas City Royals
  • 20. Milwaukee Brewers
  • 21. Baltimore Orioles
  • 22. Pittsburgh Pirates
  • 23. Seattle Mariners
  • 24. Cleveland Indians
  • 25. San Diego Padres
  • 26. Minnesota Twins
  • 27. Chicago Cubs
  • 28. New York Mets
  • 29. Miami Marlins
  • 30. Houston Astros
Team Batting
  • 1. Detroit Tigers
  • 2. Los Angeles Angels
  • 3. Colorado Rockies
  • 4. Boston Red Sox
  • 5. Texas Rangers
  • 6. Toronto Blue Jays
  • 7. Cincinnati Reds
  • 8. St. Louis Cardinals
  • 9. Washington Nationals
  • 10. Los Angeles Dodgers
  • 11. New York Yankees
  • 12. Atlanta Braves
  • 13. Philadelphia Phillies
  • 14. Milwaukee Brewers
  • 15. Baltimore Orioles
  • 16. Arizona Diamondbacks
  • 17. Chicago White Sox
  • 18. Kansas City Royals
  • 19. Oakland Athletics
  • 20. Pittsburgh Pirates
  • 21. Cleveland Indians
  • 22. San Francisco Giants
  • 23. Seattle Mariners
  • 24. Tampa Bay Rays
  • 25. Miami Marlins
  • 26. New York Mets
  • 27. San Diego Padres
  • 28. Minnesota Twins
  • 29. Chicago Cubs
  • 30. Houston Astros
Team Pitching
  • 1. Philadelphia Phillies
  • 2. Washington Nationals
  • 3. Atlanta Braves
  • 4. St. Louis Cardinals
  • 5. Tampa Bay Rays
  • 6. New York Yankees
  • 7. Toronto Blue Jays
  • 8. Los Angeles Dodgers
  • 9. San Francisco Giants
  • 10. Boston Red Sox
  • 11. Cincinnati Reds
  • 12. Texas Rangers
  • 13. Detroit Tigers
  • 14. Los Angeles Angels
  • 15. Arizona Diamondbacks
  • 16. Oakland Athletics
  • 17. Chicago White Sox
  • 18. Kansas City Royals
  • 19. San Diego Padres
  • 20. Seattle Mariners
  • 21. Cleveland Indians
  • 22. Pittsburgh Pirates
  • 23. Colorado Rockies
  • 24. Milwaukee Brewers
  • 25. Baltimore Orioles
  • 26. Chicago Cubs
  • 27. Minnesota Twins
  • 28. New York Mets
  • 29. Houston Astros
  • 30. Miami Marlins
Team Defense
  • 1. New York Yankees
  • 2. Los Angeles Dodgers
  • 3. Los Angeles Angels
  • 4. Tampa Bay Rays
  • 5. Cincinnati Reds
  • 6. Philadelphia Phillies
  • 7. Atlanta Braves
  • 8. Chicago Cubs
  • 9. Baltimore Orioles
  • 10. San Francisco Giants
  • 11. Texas Rangers
  • 12. Washington Nationals
  • 13. Colorado Rockies
  • 14. St. Louis Cardinals
  • 15. Boston Red Sox
  • 16. Kansas City Royals
  • 17. Arizona Diamondbacks
  • 18. San Diego Padres
  • 19. Detroit Tigers
  • 20. Houston Astros
  • 21. Pittsburgh Pirates
  • 22. Cleveland Indians
  • 23. Seattle Mariners
  • 24. Oakland Athletics
  • 25. Miami Marlins
  • 26. Toronto Blue Jays
  • 27. Minnesota Twins
  • 28. Milwaukee Brewers
  • 29. Chicago White Sox
  • 30. New York Mets

MLB 13 The Show screenshot gallery - Click to view MLB 13 The Show screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: MLB 13 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3Votes for game: 36 - View All
MLB 13 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 261 jcmreds @ 02/24/13 08:44 AM
This may be the dumbest thing ever. The Red Sox have better pitching than the Reds?

# 262 birthday_massacre @ 02/24/13 12:41 PM
I am a huge red sox fan but how are the red sox a 3 when they were gutted and lost most of their stars?

# 263 Chaos81 @ 02/24/13 12:43 PM
I love this thread.

# 264 nemesis04 @ 02/24/13 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by birthday_massacre
I am a huge red sox fan but how are the red sox a 3 when they were gutted and lost most of their stars?
Don't worry they still play like **** in the game as compared to real life so your experience will not be ruined!

# 265 Majingir @ 02/24/13 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
Don't worry they still play like **** in the game as compared to real life so your experience will not be ruined!
lol, I can see that happening. Once the game comes out, people will be like "How come the 3rd overall Red Sox can't beat the 11th overall Yankees!?

# 266 tvman @ 02/24/13 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisB
Giants pitching is overrated. They were 11th in the NL in road ERA. People completely dismiss park factors when looking at team stats and player stats. Considering the entire MLB, they were ranked 27th in defense errors committed and fielding percentage, and 12th in runs scored. Seeing them at 17th overall isn't as far fetched as it may seem.

Yes, Giants won the world series. But like the previous guy said, talent wise they don't stack up. Any of the top 15 teams in baseball can beat anybody in a 7 game series. Guys like Scutaro played out of their minds. They can make the post season pretty easily playing in the NL West, and from there the playoffs are a roll of the dice. Teams like the Nationals, Braves, Reds, and Cardinals look better on paper (and were during the regular season statistically). Even the Dodgers if it wasn't for the injuries especially to Kershaw and Kemp would have finished ahead and Giants were close to not even making the playoffs.

Yes, they won, congrats...but I don't think it makes them automatically the undisputed #1 team in baseball. They're not any more scary to face than the teams mentioned above, plus AL teams like the Rangers, A's, Angels, Tigers, Yankees, Baltimore, and even Toronto.

There's lots of good teams in baseball. I don't think people realize that not too much separates the #3 through #17 teams in the major leagues. A lot of it depends on injuries, timing, luck, and playing in the right division.

So yea, it's just a video game. The players ratings total them to 17th...big whoop. Video games don't capture hot streaks and chemistry the same way.
Bah, like the old saying goes statistics are for losers. Regardless i'll take the Giants being #1 in real life and let the Tiggers have #1 in a video game!

# 267 ParisB @ 02/24/13 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvman
Bah, like the old saying goes statistics are for losers. Regardless i'll take the Giants being #1 in real life and let the Tiggers have #1 in a video game!
Right. Everyone knows that the Astros are really #1. I ignore statistics and records.

# 268 xSiQ @ 02/24/13 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by birthday_massacre
Well, if you're truly a 'huge fan' then you might know which team spent the most coin in free agent signings this off season.....

Yep, the Boston Red Sox

Of course they are going to be highly rated as a team, seeing as how they have very high rated individual players (in game).

-Mike Napoli
-Dustin Pedroia
-Jacoby Ellsbury
-Shane Victorino
-David Ortiz
-Jon Lester
-Clay Buchholz
-Joel Hanrahan
-Andrew Bailey
-Daniel Bard

That's just their top of the line players, they still have quite a few more above average players that just increase their overall rating.

What I don't get about everyone complaining on which teams are overrated or underrated, the ratings aren't a comparison of one team to another they are an overall rating of the compilation of individual players on that team.

Example:
-Team A has 8 players ranging from .260 - .300 average hitters with above average, average, and below average power
-Team B has 3 players all .300+ hitters all with exceptional power, but 5 .200 hitters with no power

Team A is the better team in terms of all around talent / Batting but Team B may be rated higher because of the weight the 3 superstar players carry toward the overall rating of the team. The same goes for pitching.
If a team is ranked 30th in Batting, that doesn't mean their entire lineup is sub .250 hitters, possibly they could have all .300 hitters if the other 29 teams had all .350 hitters.

I hope that makes sense. If a team is #1 Overall it doesn't necessarily mean they are all around better than the #2 Overall team.

# 269 ParisB @ 02/24/13 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSiQ
Well, if you're truly a 'huge fan' then you might know which team spent the most coin in free agent signings this off season.....

Yep, the Boston Red Sox

Of course they are going to be highly rated as a team, seeing as how they have very high rated individual players (in game).

-Mike Napoli
-Dustin Pedroia
-Jacoby Ellsbury
-Shane Victorino
-David Ortiz
-Jon Lester
-Clay Buchholz
-Joel Hanrahan
-Andrew Bailey
-Daniel Bard

That's just their top of the line players, they still have quite a few more above average players that just increase their overall rating.

What I don't get about everyone complaining on which teams are overrated or underrated, the ratings aren't a comparison of one team to another they are an overall rating of the compilation of individual players on that team.

Example:
-Team A has 8 players ranging from .260 - .300 average hitters with above average, average, and below average power
-Team B has 3 players all .300+ hitters all with exceptional power, but 5 .200 hitters with no power

Team A is the better team in terms of all around talent / Batting but Team B may be rated higher because of the weight the 3 superstar players carry toward the overall rating of the team. The same goes for pitching.
If a team is ranked 30th in Batting, that doesn't mean their entire lineup is sub .250 hitters, possibly they could have all .300 hitters if the other 29 teams had all .350 hitters.

I hope that makes sense. If a team is #1 Overall it doesn't necessarily mean they are all around better than the #2 Overall team.
Exactly. I mean, forget that they won the World Series for a second (for the reasons I listed above).

Their defense is ranked 27th in MLB. Their road ERA is 11th in the NL. Their offense was 12th in MLB. Neither Blanco, Pagan, Pence, Scutaro, Belt, nor Crawford are elite players or top 10 at their positions. Their best pitcher Cain is the 10th best pitcher in the NL. Pablo is OK but hard to call him a star. Posey is their best player, ok cool.

I don't think the Show got them "wrong". They're not a good video game team, lol. Statistically they're not really top 10 in MLB in most categories. They just play really well at the right times in real life, have a good manager, and their results have been better than the sum of their parts. Video games don't capture the human elements.

They're a collection of decent players that played in the right division, got to the playoffs, got hot at the right time and had it going at the right time. If you were building a team, only Posey is a "must have" player. I don't see them being ranked 17th being such a travesty.

# 270 CabreraMVP @ 02/24/13 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovesports
If we are looking at it player for player then Yankees and Angels have the best lineups imo
There is not a chance that New York has a better lineup than Detroit. The Angels and Detroit are the top two teams, nobody else is very close to them.

# 271 xSiQ @ 02/24/13 05:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CabreraMVP
There is not a chance that New York has a better lineup than Detroit. The Angels and Detroit are the top two teams, nobody else is very close to them.
The Nationals are no where close to the Angels? That's a laugh...

The Angels lineup may win them their division, but pitching wins championships and seeing as how the Nationals have some of the best pitching in all of baseball and a comporable lineup I would slate them as a better overall team than the Angels.

Look at the Angels rotation, Weaver is a solid ace and Wilson is good pitcher but after that what do they have, Jason Vargas career 4.35 ERA, Tommy Hanson whose fastball has decreased over 1 mph in each of the last 2 seasons (now under 90mph) it's no wonder his H/9 was 9.46 in 2012 and he gave up 27 HR's, and Blanton is a good 5th starter and that's being generous.
As for their lineup I don't see much going for them other than Trout and Trumbo. Hamilton had the highest chase rate last year in all of MLB and has been trending that way for a few years now. Pujols is aging and had his worst offensive year in 2012.

What is it you see that makes this team so insanely unstoppable that no one else comes close to them that I don't?

# 272 CabreraMVP @ 02/24/13 05:39 PM
We are talking about lineups.

# 273 xSiQ @ 02/24/13 05:42 PM
Quote:
That says team, not lineup... and even so I can think of a few lineups better than the Angels.

Having 3 or 4 productive hitters does not make a lineup.

# 274 Hockeynut99 @ 02/24/13 05:56 PM
The Giants should be higher if they had a true chemistry rating. Maybe next year. ha

# 275 ParisB @ 02/24/13 06:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSiQ
The Nationals are no where close to the Angels? That's a laugh...

The Angels lineup may win them their division, but pitching wins championships and seeing as how the Nationals have some of the best pitching in all of baseball and a comporable lineup I would slate them as a better overall team than the Angels.

Look at the Angels rotation, Weaver is a solid ace and Wilson is good pitcher but after that what do they have, Jason Vargas career 4.35 ERA, Tommy Hanson whose fastball has decreased over 1 mph in each of the last 2 seasons (now under 90mph) it's no wonder his H/9 was 9.46 in 2012 and he gave up 27 HR's, and Blanton is a good 5th starter and that's being generous.
As for their lineup I don't see much going for them other than Trout and Trumbo. Hamilton had the highest chase rate last year in all of MLB and has been trending that way for a few years now. Pujols is aging and had his worst offensive year in 2012.

What is it you see that makes this team so insanely unstoppable that no one else comes close to them that I don't?
Umm, they were towards the top in many statistical categories, despite a brutal April where nobody hit. They have a well rounded and balanced lineup top to bottom. Lol @ the selective stat picking trying to make them into negative players.

# 276 Bondsfan @ 02/24/13 06:25 PM
Quote:
Giants pitching is overrated. They were 11th in the NL in road ERA. People completely dismiss park factors when looking at team stats and player stats. Considering the entire MLB, they were ranked 27th in defense errors committed and fielding percentage, and 12th in runs scored. Seeing them at 17th overall isn't as far fetched as it may seem.

Yes, Giants won the world series. But like the previous guy said, talent wise they don't stack up. Any of the top 15 teams in baseball can beat anybody in a 7 game series. Guys like Scutaro played out of their minds. They can make the post season pretty easily playing in the NL West, and from there the playoffs are a roll of the dice. Teams like the Nationals, Braves, Reds, and Cardinals look better on paper (and were during the regular season statistically). Even the Dodgers if it wasn't for the injuries especially to Kershaw and Kemp would have finished ahead and Giants were close to not even making the playoffs.

Yes, they won, congrats...but I don't think it makes them automatically the undisputed #1 team in baseball. They're not any more scary to face than the teams mentioned above, plus AL teams like the Rangers, A's, Angels, Tigers, Yankees, Baltimore, and even Toronto.

There's lots of good teams in baseball. I don't think people realize that not too much separates the #3 through #17 teams in the major leagues. A lot of it depends on injuries, timing, luck, and playing in the right division.

So yea, it's just a video game. The players ratings total them to 17th...big whoop. Video games don't capture hot streaks and chemistry the same way.
Im pretty sure the Braves, Phillies, Rangers, Reds, Cardinals, and Tigers would all disagree about their pitching being over-rated. Their pitching staff has won them 2 WS in 3 years. If the Yankees or Red Sox did that, they'd have their entire staffs rated 99. Again, Im not saying the Giants should be 1 overall, or even in pitching alone, but 9th in pitching and 17 overall for a team that has won it all 2 of the last 3 years is odd when you consider that the rankings have far inferior teams (Red Sox) way ahead of them.

This is one of the reasons I dont like the way SCEA rates people by 3 year average. It underrates breakout guys like Angel Pagan and really overrates veterans who are on the decline. For years Aaron Rowand remained one of the better players on the Giants in the Show despite his clearly declining skills. I just think taking no more than two seasons would potentially lead to a more accurate representation of MLB.

# 277 Bondsfan @ 02/24/13 06:31 PM
Quote:
Exactly. I mean, forget that they won the World Series for a second (for the reasons I listed above).

Their defense is ranked 27th in MLB. Their road ERA is 11th in the NL. Their offense was 12th in MLB. Neither Blanco, Pagan, Pence, Scutaro, Belt, nor Crawford are elite players or top 10 at their positions. Their best pitcher Cain is the 10th best pitcher in the NL. Pablo is OK but hard to call him a star. Posey is their best player, ok cool.

I don't think the Show got them "wrong". They're not a good video game team, lol. Statistically they're not really top 10 in MLB in most categories. They just play really well at the right times in real life, have a good manager, and their results have been better than the sum of their parts. Video games don't capture the human elements.

They're a collection of decent players that played in the right division, got to the playoffs, got hot at the right time and had it going at the right time. If you were building a team, only Posey is a "must have" player. I don't see them being ranked 17th being such a travesty.
Explain to me why the Giants pitching is being rated by their road ERA in your above post while the offense is looked at as their overall? Park factors go both ways, and you are picking and choosing stats. Not to mention, their offense was 12th in MLB last year, as you state, and I agree they were average. They are ranked 22nd in this game. Yes, they lost Melky after the first half, but they gained Pence. Their rating shouldnt be that different. They are an average offensive team playing in a pitchers park with a top 5 rotation and bullpen. You may be able to get lucky and win one WS, but I doubt 2 in 3 years is luck.

# 278 aceinthehole12 @ 02/24/13 06:50 PM
These ratings are garbage. My A's should be higher.

# 279 Lovesports @ 02/24/13 07:43 PM
Quote:
I would put the Yankees lineup against anyone in the league. Youkilis, Jeter, Granderson, Texriera, Cano, CC, ichiro, Rivera. You have to be a true ***** to deny how stacked the yankees are. Im a red sox fan and I can easily admitt this. Player for player Yankees are probably #1 or #2

# 280 Still2REal @ 02/24/13 07:45 PM
Yankees with the #1 defense?!??!?!

Red Sox #3 Overall

The 17 players rated 99 was weak sauce too. Only thing looking accurate so far is the Asstros (I'm an Astros fan btw but I have to keep it real)

Luckily someone will chop these rosters up shortly after release, but I never understood why sports games are always lacking in ratings (tending to overrate - especially the major teams). It's the same with them all.

Hopefully created players don't all bat the same this year...

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.