Home
MLB 13 The Show News Post

Since the MLB 13 The Show demo wasn't released on PSN today, it doesn't look like we'll see a demo before release. That makes 2 baseball games without a pre-release demo this year.

Game: MLB 13 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3Votes for game: 36 - View All
MLB 13 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 21 bp4baseball @ 02/27/13 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCoolMan24
Yeah, that actually makes a TON more sense than "OMG IF WE DO A DEMO, WE CAN'T ADD "xxx" NEW FEATURE THIS YEAR!!! HOW DOES EVERY OTHER COMPANY AND EVEN US IN THE PAST DO IT!!!"
One example.... There was a 11th hour addition of the option to have the pitch speed in the score bug without the pitch callout on. That may have not made it in if they had made a demo.

# 22 nemesis04 @ 02/27/13 05:12 PM
Quote:
Yeah, that actually makes a TON more sense than "OMG IF WE DO A DEMO, WE CAN'T ADD "xxx" NEW FEATURE THIS YEAR!!! HOW DOES EVERY OTHER COMPANY AND EVEN US IN THE PAST DO IT!!!"
You have it all figured it out JoeCoolMan24, run with it! Nice CAPS adds drama!

# 23 JoeCoolMan24 @ 02/27/13 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
You have it all figured it out JoeCoolMan24, run with it! Nice CAPS adds drama!
I said it's a theory, I didn't say it was fact. And even if it was, no one from SCEA would ever say it.

And yes, CAPS shows the ridiculousness of the fake conversation they would have.

# 24 JoeCoolMan24 @ 02/27/13 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp4baseball
One example.... There was a 11th hour addition of the option to have the pitch speed in the score bug without the pitch callout on. That may have not made it in if they had made a demo.
Possibly. But if they had planned on a demo, they would have staffed up for it or portioned time accordingly. You could also argue that if they worked an extra 30 minutes a day, they could have had added a new feature as well. These are just time management and staffing things that could have all been possible if they planned for it. Yeah, if all the sudden 3 weeks ago someone says "crap, let's release a demo for this game" and therefor other things get pushed back or not worked on, then sure, it's not beneficial. But you could argue they could have cut time out of promoting to add another feature as well.

# 25 bp4baseball @ 02/27/13 05:31 PM
Quote:
Possibly. But if they had planned on a demo, they would have staffed up for it or portioned time accordingly. You could also argue that if they worked an extra 30 minutes a day, they could have had added a new feature as well. These are just time management and staffing things that could have all been possible if they planned for it. Yeah, if all the sudden 3 weeks ago someone says "crap, let's release a demo for this game" and therefor other things get pushed back or not worked on, then sure, it's not beneficial. But you could argue they could have cut time out of promoting to add another feature as well.
From what I've read, I don't think that's possible.... They work insane hours on the game

# 26 JoeCoolMan24 @ 02/27/13 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp4baseball
From what I've read, I don't think that's possible.... They work insane hours on the game
I don't disagree, it was just an example.

# 27 thaSLAB @ 02/27/13 05:42 PM
Quote:
I don't disagree, it was just an example.
I think they didn't release a demo just to spite you...

# 28 NJ2NC @ 02/27/13 06:03 PM
It would have been nice to have a demo a few weeks back if they could have revealed some of the newer things, but I cannot find it in me to fault anyone. As long as the game itself is constantly improving with each release a demo is not a priority for me. Tuesday cannot get here fast enough!

# 29 dran1984 @ 02/27/13 10:09 PM
Well I think its safe to say the most people on here would buy the game regardless of a demo. And when they do release a demo they leave alot of the features out due to space. They don't include commentary and they give us only 3 innings of gameplay with minimal options anyway.

No big deal really.

# 30 MrOldboy @ 02/27/13 10:43 PM
For OS users I can see why a demo is useless in terms of generating more preorders/sales. So those theories made by people make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
Also OS represents about 5% of the consumer base the 95% will be happy that you can see both now.
That was in reference to the player ratings, not a demo. Of course that was probably a guess, but if OS is such a small part of the consumer base, why not try to get some more sales from that 95% of more average users that might not buy the game every year at launch as a lot on OS do? So I can see how both sides of the argument make some sense.

For a lot of games demos can help a lot or hurt tremendously. Anyone remember NBA Elite 2011? I'm sure SCEA knows of the cost and benefits of a demo more than we do since they have much more info regarding this than we do and decided what's best for them.

# 31 Doormat @ 02/27/13 11:23 PM
I won't need a demo, I'm already convinced.

# 32 JoeCoolMan24 @ 02/28/13 12:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOldboy
For OS users I can see why a demo is useless in terms of generating more preorders/sales. So those theories made by people make sense.

That was in reference to the player ratings, not a demo. Of course that was probably a guess, but if OS is such a small part of the consumer base, why not try to get some more sales from that 95% of more average users that might not buy the game every year at launch as a lot on OS do? So I can see how both sides of the argument make some sense.

For a lot of games demos can help a lot or hurt tremendously. Anyone remember NBA Elite 2011? I'm sure SCEA knows of the cost and benefits of a demo more than we do since they have much more info regarding this than we do and decided what's best for them.
If the reason they do not want to release a demo is because they are worried it may hurt their sales, then they are showing a lack of a confidence in the product, and that's a bad sign as well.

# 33 bkrich83 @ 02/28/13 12:02 AM
Much ado about nothing.

Although I do enjoy the sky is falling crowd we seem to get frequently.

# 34 dran1984 @ 02/28/13 12:07 AM
Quote:
If the reason they do not want to release a demo is because they are worried it may hurt their sales, then they are showing a lack of a confidence in the product, and that's a bad sign as well.
Lets be honest here...they do not NEED to release a demo. People know what to expect from the game year in and year out. Also look at the competition, The Show blows them out of the water.

# 35 JoeCoolMan24 @ 02/28/13 01:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dran1984
Lets be honest here...they do not NEED to release a demo. People know what to expect from the game year in and year out. Also look at the competition, The Show blows them out of the water.
Right, that's what I said earlier.

Quote:
I feel like that is the smug attitude they probably take when it comes to demos for The Show, anyway.

"What do we need to release a demo for? They will buy it anyway, it's better than that 2K crap."

Not that that's not accurate, but it's frustrating that most games come with a demo prior to release, yet SCEA feels it doesn't need to waste it's time.

# 36 MrOldboy @ 02/28/13 04:38 AM
Quote:
But who knows if that's the issue. Sure a crappy demo might hurt, but I doubt they'd put out a broken demo like NBA Elite did.

Someone in marketing probably knows how many people the demo could reach, how many sales that could translate into and probably thought it didn't warrant the expense of making the demo. I doubt its from lack of confidence, its not like the game engine was rebuilt from the ground up and they risk exposing bugs that might not be in the shipping game or something, the same solid gameplay is still there this year.

# 37 JoeCoolMan24 @ 02/28/13 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOldboy
But who knows if that's the issue. Sure a crappy demo might hurt, but I doubt they'd put out a broken demo like NBA Elite did.

Someone in marketing probably knows how many people the demo could reach, how many sales that could translate into and probably thought it didn't warrant the expense of making the demo. I doubt its from lack of confidence, its not like the game engine was rebuilt from the ground up and they risk exposing bugs that might not be in the shipping game or something, the same solid gameplay is still there this year.
I don't think it's a lack of confidence either, I am just saying if we were to accept what the other poster suggested, in that they didn't want it to hurt sales, then it would show a lack of confidence. I, however, don't believe that to be the case. I still believe my original theory is what is most likely true, although you'd never SCEA admit to that, so we will really never know.

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.