Home
MLB 2K13 News Post

MLB 2K12 Online Leagues shown above, nowhere to be found in MLB 2K13

MLB 2K13 will not include online leagues. This has been confirmed by users on the 2K Sports forums.

*UPDATE: More confirmation from OS readers in response to this thread.

Game: Major League Baseball 2K13Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 14 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 lbjcavsx23 @ 03/05/13 11:08 AM
2k should be ashamed that they are selling this for $60, pathetic.

# 2 johne3569 @ 03/05/13 11:28 AM
Has it been confirmed yet by a source at 2K?

I had game yesterday and didn't see it and got a little worried but thought that it would appear today. This would be devastating news.

# 3 johne3569 @ 03/05/13 11:32 AM
Cool, thanks!

# 4 johne3569 @ 03/05/13 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoReds
There is absolutely nothing on here as far as online leagues go. It looks like they're out for this year.
Yep, I don't see it anywhere on the game. That is unbelievable.

# 5 AcceptedIntern4 @ 03/05/13 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne3569
Yep, I don't see it anywhere on the game. That is unbelievable.

Is it possible that they patch this in? What is the point of buying this game now for $60 bucks?

Couldn't I just purchase 2K12 and modify the rosters?

# 6 johne3569 @ 03/05/13 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcceptedIntern4
Is it possible that they patch this in? What is the point of buying this game now for $60 bucks?

Couldn't I just purchase 2K12 and modify the rosters?
I've never seen anything like that done before so I highly doubt it. I can't fathom playing a sports game now without the option of playing in an online league. I'm hoping to hear some sort of press from someone at 2K regarding the matter.

# 7 Steve_OS @ 03/05/13 12:31 PM
Yup, I just looked through the options. No online leagues this year.

# 8 AcceptedIntern4 @ 03/05/13 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
Yup, I just looked through the options. No online leagues this year.

No-brainer to purchase the show then this year....

# 9 DirtyJerz32 @ 03/05/13 12:34 PM
How many of you actually played the online league last year? I know I didn't so this means nothing to me. I'm curious to know who actually did...

# 10 AcceptedIntern4 @ 03/05/13 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyJerz32_OS
How many of you actually played the online league last year? I know I didn't so this means nothing to me. I'm curious to know who actually did...
I was in a league with about 30 people last season... If it wasn't for online leagues I would have moved to the Show long ago. I guess 2K has forced my hand.

# 11 johne3569 @ 03/05/13 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyJerz32_OS
Yup I played in the league also. Oddly enough if a game isn't that good but has online league, I still enjoy the competition and stat tracking.

# 12 AcceptedIntern4 @ 03/05/13 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt Oread
If guys are into online leagues, I get the disappointment. But baseball is by far the worst sport to play in online leagues. The amount of time required to simulate what makes baseball compelling, the grind of three game series and managing bullpens and payers health, is just too great. Baseball games tend to take longer than to play than other sports, and trying to get a three game series in is pretty much impossible, except for that set of gamers that have no job or other life.

For online baseball leagues, text based games like OOTP are still the gold standard. For console baseball, it is either solo franchise or pick-up pay online. And it takes $$$ to maintain servers for leagues and such. there is no way there were enough guys actually paying in online leagues for 2K to find it cost effective.
I couldn't disagree more with you. The way 2K had it setup last year it was a pretty good setup. I think you are discounting the online leagues a little too much. Because much of the presentation is cut down (no replays, cut scenes, etc.) the games take roughly 30 minutes. You can play games in any order and each individual league had rules regarding pitch counts and rotations. Online leagues is what makes the game fun for me. It isn't about beating the computer for me. Playing a human opponent with some sort of actual game strategy and having something on the line like the playoffs or division championship is what makes this game fun.

In an online league when you play multiple series with the same human opponents you develop rivalries and the competition level is increased. It just creates a whole new level of excitement and enjoyment to the game.

2K sports really missed the boat this year. I was going to buy their game with the understanding that it was basically a couple new uniforms and updated rosters, but without online leagues I have no purpose for the game especially since playing offline mode is a much, much better experience with MLB The Show.

# 13 johne3569 @ 03/05/13 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt Oread
If guys are into online leagues, I get the disappointment. But baseball is by far the worst sport to play in online leagues. The amount of time required to simulate what makes baseball compelling, the grind of three game series and managing bullpens and payers health, is just too great. Baseball games tend to take longer than to play than other sports, and trying to get a three game series in is pretty much impossible, except for that set of gamers that have no job or other life.

For online baseball leagues, text based games like OOTP are still the gold standard. For console baseball, it is either solo franchise or pick-up pay online. And it takes $$$ to maintain servers for leagues and such. there is no way there were enough guys actually paying in online leagues for 2K to find it cost effective.
Baseball games are actually far less time consuming than playing NBA and NFL online leagues especially if you play about 8 minutes a quarter and FAR more competitive because there's really no "money plays" or "hot spots".

I guarantee more people play online leagues than they play a solo Home Run Derby though but that mode is still available.

To each his own though.....

# 14 SynShadowzz @ 03/05/13 01:13 PM
Intern stealing all my thunder!

# 15 shogunofharlem3 @ 03/05/13 01:15 PM
I haven't played in online leagues for a few years. I think I played in on around 2k7ish but unfortunatley didn't have the time around work / coaching / to stay committed.

Even though I haven't used the leagues in a few years, I for some reason, feel empty that it has been omitted. I don't like the removal of features and options.

First it was the ability to make moves and stuff on the league website. Then it was the league websites all together. Now the leagues. Ugh.

Still love 2k12 for franchise and I know I'll get this at some point down the road when the price drops. For now, very, no, extremely happy with 25 anticipation edit and 2k12

# 16 SynShadowzz @ 03/05/13 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcceptedIntern4
I couldn't disagree more with you. The way 2K had it setup last year it was a pretty good setup. I think you are discounting the online leagues a little too much. Because much of the presentation is cut down (no replays, cut scenes, etc.) the games take roughly 30 minutes. You can play games in any order and each individual league had rules regarding pitch counts and rotations. Online leagues is what makes the game fun for me. It isn't about beating the computer for me. Playing a human opponent with some sort of actual game strategy and having something on the line like the playoffs or division championship is what makes this game fun.

In an online league when you play multiple series with the same human opponents you develop rivalries and the competition level is increased. It just creates a whole new level of excitement and enjoyment to the game.

2K sports really missed the boat this year. I was going to buy their game with the understanding that it was basically a couple new uniforms and updated rosters, but without online leagues I have no purpose for the game especially since playing offline mode is a much, much better experience with MLB The Show.
Intern really hits the nail on the head here.

# 17 DaveDQ @ 03/05/13 02:07 PM
They must have looked at their leagues, how many were created and then how many maintained for 2K12 and previous years. Based on that, they probably axed them.

It really is odd how their two next-gen games are polar opposites in terms of appeal to the consumer and then overall sports gaming popularity.

# 18 shogunofharlem3 @ 03/05/13 02:19 PM
I assumed they dropped the online leagues to use whatever manpower they have to maintain the MLB Today feature. Wasn't kept up with very well last year. That was my guess. Drop leagues, use that man power to deal with MLB Today.

# 19 dubcity @ 03/05/13 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogunofharlem3
I assumed they dropped the online leagues to use whatever manpower they have to maintain the MLB Today feature. Wasn't kept up with very well last year. That was my guess. Drop leagues, use that man power to deal with MLB Today.
Yeah, but aren't they just gonna go into lame duck mode like last season? Are they committed to anything beyond this game? That was the excuse for the lack of support after the release last year.

# 20 scottyo60 @ 03/05/13 04:11 PM
Will now go purchase MLB 2K12 for 17 dollars

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.