Home
MLB 2K13 News Post

Now that the game is released to all, this is the place to post your impressions.

As a reminder, this is not a thread for questions. Please use the MLB 2K13 Q&A thread for that.

Game: Major League Baseball 2K13Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 14 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 Grumpykore @ 03/09/13 10:41 AM
Update on game play - Good news is a got some hits and RBI's too? There is something about this years game, i still can't put my finger on it. The game just pops out of the screen and the crowd does look better and motions in the field better IMO. I'm not seeing any ghost balls. Gloves are closing on the catches and I'm not seeing any or little wonky FPS stutters.

I play one full Franchise game with BIGS 2k12 sliders with a few dates by him. Some great contact line drive hits and some very good chop hits of the bats. Using default rosters since im going with Houston as my build team this year.

Overall great game and really our only option for xbox owners.

# 102 lnin0 @ 03/09/13 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt Oread
Fielding feels natural. Rushing a throw on a close play increases the odds of an overthrow or error. But sometimes they just happen, too. But when a shot to the third baseman eats him, and it takes an extra second to gather the ball and get set, the game rewards your ability to maintain composure ans execute a strong throw, and punishes you when you try to fire it.

And that leads me to to thinking about the game the same way I see the Cardinals do, by considering removing David Freese late to avoid just that scenario.
I know exactly what you mean. Playing with the Braves I fear anytime Uggla has to make hurried throws. The guy is a disaster waiting to happen on the field - his meter is typically just a sliver of green. Then you play with a guy like Darwin Barney and he has a huge green area in most situations. I love how 2K accounts for that player individuality and ties it to a game mechanic.

# 103 kamackeris76 @ 03/09/13 01:38 PM
I would LOVE to give you my impressions of this game but 2K Sports will not release this over in the UK.....and with it being region specific i can't buy from the states......

# 104 MAGboyswifT27 @ 03/09/13 02:38 PM
It's better than I thought but I don't think my opinion counts because I've never been into the baseball titles. I know football and basketball better.. This year I wanted to try something new and learn more about baseball in general. I like the posts I've seen and if any of you guys have suggestions for sliders lmk...

# 105 C the Lyte @ 03/09/13 07:55 PM
Bought 2k11, disappointed by lack of support, and would never touch this series again. Until I got the itch for 13. Wanted an updated baseball game, and glad I got this.

For the casual @ best baseball fan, this game is perfect. I think this game does a lot of things well, a couple great, and a few bad. Good news is there seems to be nothing "broken" about this. Some of the issues seem to be correctable via sliders by some guys on here. And there seem to be occasional glitches. Very occasional though.

Pitcher/batter battles are great, previous pitch graphics are nice. The fielders are not automatic and you will suffer if you field the ball leisurely. I'm sure some of these features may have been in 12, but pitches changing ratings, hot zones becoming predictable, and pitches losing their effect due to repetition is great.

If you're hardcore sim head, this probably isn't for you. If you're like me and haven't played in a couple years, I think you'd really enjoy this title.

# 106 pistolpete @ 03/09/13 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by C the Lyte
Pitcher/batter battles are great
I have found pitching on this years version is very good. Even when you get ahead of batters it is very difficult to get them out. You often need to go to your lesser rated pitches just to keep the hitters honest, but the thing is you can't throw them in the zone or else they get rocked, and if you throw them out of the zone the hitters are smart enough to take them.

# 107 RoyalBoyle78 @ 03/09/13 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by C the Lyte
Bought 2k11, disappointed by lack of support, and would never touch this series again. Until I got the itch for 13. Wanted an updated baseball game, and glad I got this.

For the casual @ best baseball fan, this game is perfect. I think this game does a lot of things well, a couple great, and a few bad. Good news is there seems to be nothing "broken" about this. Some of the issues seem to be correctable via sliders by some guys on here. And there seem to be occasional glitches. Very occasional though.

Pitcher/batter battles are great, previous pitch graphics are nice. The fielders are not automatic and you will suffer if you field the ball leisurely. I'm sure some of these features may have been in 12, but pitches changing ratings, hot zones becoming predictable, and pitches losing their effect due to repetition is great.

If you're hardcore sim head, this probably isn't for you. If you're like me and haven't played in a couple years, I think you'd really enjoy this title.
I own both games, and calling 2k a non sim isn't really fair, has I think there franchise mode is really well, even when coming to player salaries, it get me angry when I look at the other game player salaries, almost all have one year contracts, I'm like WTH...at least 2k does that right

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

# 108 tril @ 03/09/13 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt Oread
What do you mean by dual stick batting? The LS is still used to influence the the hit. So technically, I still use both sticks when hitting, but I never heard it called that.
good to know. I never knew the offical name of the dual controls, but I read somewhere that they removed it. Glad to know that its still in the game.

# 109 econoodle @ 03/10/13 12:56 AM
I will chime in here on occasion as I come up with more impressions, but after a solid 5 days of 2K gaming, I have to say i am happy.

I there anything more intense than the batter/pitcher showdown in this game?
I mean seriously.
Nail biting and tense are a few good words to describe it. And thats just in the 3rd inning! Wait to see how you feel with your starter on the hill, who has pitched brilliantly into the 7th, nursing a 2-0 lead all the while mixing up his pitches and keeping hitters guessing, but still coming close to that pitch count, and a tired pen waiting in the wings.

You try hard to focus and make good pitches to get quick outs to get the starter a bit closer to the end so you don't have to go to the relievers.
Nothing worse then KNOWING you just botched a pitch gesture, and if you didn't have to field the ball, you would have shielded your eyes so you don't have to see the ball get smacked into the gap.

When you get a big out in 2k13, you know that must be what it feels like in real life.

Who cares if the graphics aren't photo realistic. When the mechanics of this part of the game are this good, that doesn't matter.

Also, the announcing, which is already award winning, has reached new heights.

Lester walked 3 guys in one inning and had let up two runs. Of course, Phillips mentioned just that, some thing like "Well, lets see, Lester has now given up 3 walks, leading to a couple of runs. He better find the plate or this is going to be a long night".

Another nugget:

At the end of the 3rd, as Lester walked off the mound, Thorne said, "After letting up 2 runs in each of the first two innings, he gets through the 3rd inning with jut 6 pitches. He could sure use more of those".

Fantastic.

More to come...

# 110 tril @ 03/10/13 09:19 AM
Im seeing some good reviews. I thought this would be the year I finally by one baseball game. But I guess not. I like both titles, and have purchased both since 06.
and IM like others here. 2k's baseball game is fun, it falls short in the graphics department, but none the less I always enjoy it.
Too bad its not on PC this year. so this will be my first 2k baseball purchase on a console since 09. from 09-12 its been PC.

good feedback you all. THANKS

# 111 CrazyKitchenGuy @ 03/10/13 11:12 AM
I picked 2K13 up on Friday.

Finally got in my first game last night.

I can sum up my impressions in one simple word! Fantastic!

I played an exhibition game between Toronto (me) and Houston (cpu) in Toronto.

Pitchers were Buehrle vs. Bedard.

Played on All-Star settings, with one slight adjustment to infielder and outfielder speed. Infield set to 5 and outfield to 10.

Tight game all through out. Final score ended up being 3-2 for Toronto.

Buehrle ended up going 7 innings, striking out 9, giving up 5 hits and 2 runs, throwing 87 pitches.

Brought in Lincoln and Janssen to finish it off for me.

Can't wait to get a Franchise and a My Player started up.

I believe that I have found my game for the foreseeable future.

# 112 therizing02 @ 03/10/13 03:10 PM
Picked up the game on Wednesday and wanted to hold off on giving any impressions too soon, but I can say that I am very happy that I picked this game up(still may pick up 12 just for MKs rosters!).

I have been using a tweaked version of Joe's sliders and have made a few interesting discoveries in 2K13 that were not in 2k12. I have had a good variety of game types. I started a Yankee franchise and my spring training results against Atlanta I won 11-3(after Hudson tossed 3 innings of perfect baseball), beat Baltimore 3-2, and then got 1 hit by the Orioles two days later and lost 5-0.

I will try to give more detailed impressions later, but the bottom line for me with this game for the last few years is that I can honestly say there are things that happen that are, well, grating, but unlike a lot of other bugs in different titles, the irritating things do not compromise the basics of baseball and take away from the important aspects of the game.

Do I hate that message about my starter in the bullpen? Yes! Does it take away from the gameplay? Absolutely not. I think that the developers were on the right track with 2K11 and 12, so IMO, they didn't really need to do much with 13 other than tighten it up a bit. IMO, they have. How many sports titles over the years have been released where we finally said, "they're on the right track"? How many of those titles in the following year removed features and broke other well functioning parts of the game?

MLB2k11, 12, and 13 have managed to capture what is great about baseball and roll those things out in a video game. There are a lot of posts in the forum that talk about how this game is "fun" to play. I think it's because this game and it's developers have managed to get the core pieces of the sport to work properly. The Pitcher/Batter battles, the in depth statistical analysis, and working franchise mode keep me coming back to the title and make the game "fun" to play. I loved the battle I had with Bautista in the top of the ninth in Oakland today. Trailed 2-0, he leads off the 9th, I leave my set up guy in, after he fouled off 4 pitches, I hang a 3-2 change up and he drills it out to center. Looked at the Inside Edge report after every pitch for something to help me get this guy out! That's baseball folks and that's what 2K does right.

More to come...

# 113 uncrewedcube @ 03/10/13 05:15 PM
its ok but it feels like i paid 60$ for a roster update but i easily get addicted to this stuff i have already created a dynasty and a my player and i would give it a 6.5/10

# 114 willithome @ 03/10/13 07:49 PM
Well reading this all week you guys have convinced me to grab this game this year. I am a MLB the show fanatic but I am also a huge presentation fan as well. I purchased 2k11 and 2k12 but didin't like the fact that the cpu would swing at any first pitch strikes. You would see 50 or 60 pitch counts for a complete game for pitchers and that was WAY to unrealistic for me. But now that you guys are saying this year the hitters are actually patient and work the count more often then I am in! Thanks for the impressions guys cause The Show 13 is lacking in the presentation department this year. I am sad to see it go backwards in that catagory when it was mediocre at best last year.

# 115 RoyalBoyle78 @ 03/10/13 09:03 PM
Well having played more games and using classic for pitching and hitting and hitting from the broadcast view with tweaks, I'm having a freaking fantastic time with 2k I tell ya..classics pitching is pretty hard with meter pitching at 100...everything feels just right..I'm hitting with classic too, see all kinds of hits..I'm pretty surprised how much I like the game.

sent from DNA

# 116 audbal @ 03/10/13 09:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballforever
Well having played more games and using classic for pitching and hitting and hitting from the broadcast view with tweaks, I'm having a freaking fantastic time with 2k I tell ya..classics pitching is pretty hard with meter pitching at 100...everything feels just right..I'm hitting with classic too, see all kinds of hits..I'm pretty surprised how much I like the game.

sent from DNA
What sliders are you using? Also, what are the tweaks you speak of?

# 117 Artman22 @ 03/10/13 09:59 PM
This game is a lot of fun. If 2k can get the graphics to look better and fix some of the transition animations, this game would easily be rated in the mid to high 8. I love the fact that online is so smooth.

# 118 Pappy Knuckles @ 03/10/13 10:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art1bk
This game is a lot of fun. If 2k can get the graphics to look better and fix some of the transition animations, this game would easily be rated in the mid to high 8. I love the fact that online is so smooth.
Yeah man, online is great. I'm glad that I was able to convince one of my friends to get it. We've been having some awesome games.

# 119 phatboy54 @ 03/11/13 12:09 AM
Haven't played baseball on 360 since the first 2k came out. It never felt as fun a MVP when it came to playing a franchise.

Based on this thread, I gave it a shot today and I am really impressed. I had MVP and the old Xbox all dusted off this weekend but I'm glad I took a chance on a much maligned game over the years.

Looking forward to seeing some sliders!

# 120 willithome @ 03/12/13 09:26 AM
Well my impression of this game is that it's the best it has been in over 3 years! I am a giant MLB The Show fan have been for years. However this year the show has taken a step back rather than a step forward since they only tweaked a few things and then took out some presentation stuff.... yes I said they took out some presentation stuff! So I decided to give 2k13 a try. The game is way better than it used to be. The batters actually work the count and starting pitchers have deep pitch counts. The presentation is top notch except for relivers. Not sure why they never really show relievers come into the game. The screen switchs to the pitcher and you notice it's a different one. That's kinda irritating but it's not a perfect game but neither is the other one. 2k13 will satisfy my presentation itch very well I think so if there are any other big presentation buffs this might do the job for you and still give you a darn good game of baseball!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.