Home
MLB 2K13 News Post

We were all surprised when 2K Sports announced the release of MLB 2K13, the next Major League Baseball game to surely leave 360 owners pining for a separate system. For baseball lovers without a Playstation 3, time stood still for a brief moment and excitement took over.

But inevitable questions loomed. From thoughts of 2K and MLB just trying to pocket extra money, to gamers wondering if they need to shell out $60 for what seems to amount to a roster update and nothing else.

2K kept quiet, didn’t promote or talk much about MLB 2K13, but sure enough MLB 2K13 released with that hefty $60 price tag. But something happened once I opened up the game and placed it in my system: MLB 2K13 really isn’t that bad; it’s honestly a very enjoyable game. It’s a blast to pick-up-and-play with friends and feels very familiar on the field. It's not in the same league as The Show at this point, with many legacy issues marring the experience and with no real sizeable upgrades over 2K12 waiting on you, but it's hard to say the entire experience is just bad.
It's more like way too familiar.

The depth in Major League Baseball 2K13 is as deep as the kiddie pool in your back yard. Yes the game has some slight improvements, but MLB 2K13’s issues, both hidden and glaring, keeps this franchise from enjoying its presumable swan song.

Read More - Major League Baseball 2K13 Review (XBox 360)

Game: Major League Baseball 2K13Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 14 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 mkharsh33 @ 03/14/13 01:39 PM
The more games I've played with 13, the more I've found the same old glitches. Even the other night I had a stupid late pinch-hitter for the cpu that made no sense. The more you dig into it the more you find much of the same issues with prior titles. Not worth the money. I don't feel like I wasted it as I've played around 30 games thus far, but it's going back as trade fodder...

# 42 pistolpete @ 03/14/13 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkharsh33
The more games I've played with 13, the more I've found the same old glitches. Even the other night I had a stupid late pinch-hitter for the cpu that made no sense. The more you dig into it the more you find much of the same issues with prior titles. Not worth the money. I don't feel like I wasted it as I've played around 30 games thus far, but it's going back as trade fodder...
I threw my copy in the garbage. I wanted to pretend it never existed.

# 43 Money99 @ 03/14/13 03:16 PM
Great comments DaveDQ.
I think the reviewer was just trying to follow the popular-stream by heaping on the pile.
Almost everyone I know who has given this game (and series) and honest effort comes out saying how much fun the game is.
No game is devoid of issues. Even The Show (which I own) has a problem with meatball pitches and that horrible pitcher stutter, which when it's occurring, make the game nearly unplayable.
That barely gets mentioned in any reviews (if at all).

Sure the game shouldn't be $60, but if every game was reviewed solely based on it's worth, instead of how the game plays and whether it's enjoyable, then I'd suspect we'd see a lot more 4's out there.

At the same time, I think Dustin T is probably worried he'd lose any ounce of credibility if he gave the game a high score.
There are dozens (maybe hundreds) of zealots on O.S. that rag on 2K baseball but have either never played the game, or only for a minute or two.
Those people would have tarred and feathered Dustin T.

I've said it before and I'll repeat it here, but I have a handful of buddies that are Show freaks, and everyone one of them has said that when playing a full game of 2K baseball, they've always come away enjoying the game.
4/10 indicates that the game isn't fun and not worth playing at all. I don't believe that describes 2K13 whatsoever.

# 44 thaSLAB @ 03/14/13 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
Great comments DaveDQ.
I think the reviewer was just trying to follow the popular-stream by heaping on the pile.
Almost everyone I know who has given this game (and series) and honest effort comes out saying how much fun the game is.
No game is devoid of issues. Even The Show (which I own) has a problem with meatball pitches and that horrible pitcher stutter, which when it's occurring, make the game nearly unplayable.
That barely gets mentioned in any reviews (if at all).

Sure the game shouldn't be $60, but if every game was reviewed solely based on it's worth, instead of how the game plays and whether it's enjoyable, then I'd suspect we'd see a lot more 4's out there.

At the same time, I think MMMChris is probably worried he'd lose any ounce of credibility if he gave the game a high score.
There are dozens (maybe hundreds) of zealots on O.S. that rag on 2K baseball but have either never played the game, or only for a minute or two.
Those people would have tarred and feathered MMMChris.

I've said it before and I'll repeat it here, but I have a handful of buddies that are Show freaks, and everyone one of them has said that when playing a full game of 2K baseball, they've always come away enjoying the game.
4/10 indicates that the game isn't fun and not worth playing at all. I don't believe that describes 2K13 whatsoever.

Just for clarification, Dustin T. reviewed the game. MMChrisS just posted it.

# 45 bxphenom7 @ 03/14/13 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt Oread
It's unfortunate to see folks that should know better play that game. 2K13 has plenty of faults, and I can even agree that a 4 is an appropriate score considering it is such a slight upgrade. But the game is any thing but shallow.

It competes with a game that throws everything but the kitchen sink in, yet has a fairly abysmal franchise mode that requires one to play as all 30 team to prevent from becoming a joke.

So 2K eschews the details of player movement for a much deeper season mode. The fatigue, pitch count, and team health are far more strategic and useful than a rule 5 draft. The players have ratings that significantly differentiates players in various phases of the game which makes managing a team over a season more compelling.

When I see someone go for the "shallow" dig, it just kind of exposes them for how shallow of a look they really took of 2K baseball.

I wouldn't give it a 4, but I would not expect much else from an SCEA Central forum that caters to style over substance. 2K12 was underrated last year, and I think everyone fully expected it to go that way this year.

I mean, we're talking about a site that ran a poll on how much people like The Show, ad the only negative comments were, "Don't have a PS3" and "Don't like baseball." Did they let SCEA write it for them?
You're speaking like MLB 13 The Show doesn't deserve its score and MLB 2k13 is good...............I don't get it. Franchise mode isn't abysmal in The Show, but I'll respect your opinion. The Show gets tweaked every year, and with next-gen coming out, I think there will finally be huge additions like Create A Stadium or whatever, I'm sure they'll think of something great. For 2k, they need to stick to NBA.

# 46 Money99 @ 03/14/13 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxphenom7
You're speaking like MLB 13 The Show doesn't deserve its score and MLB 2k13 is good...............I don't get it. Franchise mode isn't abysmal in The Show, but I'll respect your opinion. The Show gets tweaked every year, and with next-gen coming out, I think there will finally be huge additions like Create A Stadium or whatever, I'm sure they'll think of something great. For 2k, they need to stick to NBA.
I honestly don't know why people say this.
Whether a game is great or not, isn't having a choice good?
We've all seen what one-choice has done to the Madden and NHL series.
Why on earth would anyone want to take options away from consumers?

# 47 JBH3 @ 03/17/13 06:40 PM
I don't understand how anyone can say this game is worth $59.99.

# 48 JBH3 @ 03/17/13 06:41 PM
That photo looks nothing like Chase Utley either . . .

# 49 RoyalBoyle78 @ 03/17/13 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBH3
I don't understand how anyone can say this game is worth $59.99.
Well for someone like me who didn't play 2k12 that much, I didn't mind spending the money, also 2k is underrated as far as playing a good game of baseball, o have the other game too and could say the same, it was upgraded all that much either, its just as much as 12 as 2k is..I'm sorry but I Like 2k's franchise mode better too. Big this for me is I can change my player salaries in 2k which huge for me adds more realisim, I can't do that in the other game.

sent from Droid DNA

# 50 Ban_Irl @ 07/30/13 03:59 PM
Thanks Pistol Pete. I will go back and play since I for one enjoy this game (MLB2K13).

# 51 Hunkerdown @ 07/30/13 04:57 PM
I love this game, with right rosters(darksheep), sliders (bigfnjoe or waittilnextyear). See my posts in 2k13 franchise thread.

« Previous 123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.