Home
MLB 2K13 News Post

When Major League Baseball 2K13 was announced in January, the usual questions popped up about the game's ability to produce an experience that would be worth a $60 purchase to gamers.

Thus far, fan response has been rather chilly to the new game, as have gaming critics' reviews. In the build up leading to the release of the game, we were not given many details about what was coming, just a vague fact sheet leading up to release which contained features that were already in the franchise. Worse yet, Online Leagues were removed from the game with no announcement from 2K Sports.

Currently, MLB 2K13 is scoring an average of 48 on Metacritic, with our review similarly harsh on the game.

My Press Row Podcast Co-Host Mike Suzek had this to say in his review on Joystiq in summation of the game: "It's as much a shame on 2K Sports for releasing this game as it is for the MLB to carelessly stamp its name on it. Whether it was sheer apathy or contractual licensing obligations that caused MLB 2K13 to exist in this state, it certainly wasn't a love for baseball, sports games, or its fans."

Our own Dustin Toms concluded, "MLB 2K13 is not a bad game by any means, but rather this is more about the principle of the matter. When a company charges $60 for a game with little improvements over a release a year earlier, something has gone terribly wrong. Attaching a $60 price tag to this game is nonsense."

This, of course, leaves important questions to be answered as we move through this year's sports gaming release season. Will 2K Sports be releasing a game next year or will we find out that another company such as EA Sports has plans to develop baseball games to take MLB 2K's place?

Game: Major League Baseball 2K13Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 14 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 dubcity @ 03/19/13 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelereign
I agree that this game is due criticism. I guess we disagree on the price. Trust me, I would have preferred to pay less. But that wasn't going to happen, nor did I expect it to.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2
I didn't either. It would have been a breath of fresh air though, right?

# 62 steelereign @ 03/19/13 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubcity
I didn't either. It would have been a breath of fresh air though, right?
For sure.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

# 63 Carlos_917_PR @ 03/21/13 04:50 AM
for me my opinion is that mlb2k basesball game was the bomb when kush games were their developer after mlb2k6 when they add the world baseball classic to the game they leave 2k sports and 2k basesball went to failure.

# 64 Cardot @ 03/21/13 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baile
We tend to remember the past as being better than it actually was.
This is so true. I never trade in my old games just so that once every few years, I can pop them in for 2 minutes and realize that they aren't nearly as good as my romantisized memories paint them.

# 65 spoofrice11 @ 03/22/13 08:14 PM
Just bought the game, only because I haven't gotten a baseball game in 3 years.
Definitely dissapointed with 2K for putting out last years game with a roster update.

- So what are the best rosters to download from 2kshare, with updated rosters (top prospects named)?

# 66 Herky @ 03/23/13 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoofrice11
Just bought the game, only because I haven't gotten a baseball game in 3 years.
Definitely dissapointed with 2K for putting out last years game with a roster update.

- So what are the best rosters to download from 2kshare, with updated rosters (top prospects named)?
Search the gamertag mkharsh33 on 2Kshare if you are on 360. It's still a work in progress but it's the best out there by far. The file is easy to find because it's the most downloaded one.

# 67 spoofrice11 @ 03/23/13 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herky
Search the gamertag mkharsh33 on 2Kshare if you are on 360. It's still a work in progress but it's the best out there by far. The file is easy to find because it's the most downloaded one.
Ok, thanx.

# 68 jerwoods @ 03/23/13 11:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgamesh348
No, 2k12 is still $39.99. I was just at best buy yesterday so I know this for a fact.
on E-Bay you can get it for 20 bucks

# 69 WaitTilNextYear @ 03/26/13 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
Our own Dustin Toms concluded, "MLB 2K13 is not a bad game by any means, but rather this is more about the principle of the matter. When a company charges $60 for a game with little improvements over a release a year earlier, something has gone terribly wrong. Attaching a $60 price tag to this game is nonsense."
I think the really sad part about this review (and similar reviews) is that it's sooooo en vogue to just trash MLB2K13 right now. None of the reviews out really have a unique thing to say--if you've read one.....And, all the while statements, like that in bold above, about how the gameplay is actually good are being made, but somehow gameplay isn't a large part of a video game review?? I understand that there is a "feature-craze" nowadays, but I'd rather have a more plain-Jane game that plays like a champ with a few options than be able to do obscure roster management 24/7, but have no actual desire to play the actual game.

Maybe SCEA or some other developer should come out with a game where the actual option to play games is removed and all you do is import players, edit ratings, and see if sim stats are "realistic." Maybe there is already a game like this out that I am not familiar with. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised.

Maybe I'm old school, but since when did the enjoyment of playing the game become secondary to how many new features does it have? And if it's being bashed purely on cost ($60) versus the effort put in by 2K, well do you really think any video game should actually cost $60? If that's the market and people will pay it, unfortunately that's what we consumers have to pay. And since that's the going rate for new X-Box games, how good a title it is doesn't really come into play. Even awful new games will be $60. And, as stated in the review itself: "MLB 2K13 is not a bad game by any means"

I'm sorry, but I play for enjoyment as a hobby, not for confirmation of some lofty principles that I hold a developer to or to see how much time I can waste editing and not actually playing the game.

I think this game deserves a 7-8 or so based purely on merit/fun/gameplay (not cost, or other factors, etc...etc...)

# 70 Yeats @ 03/26/13 02:30 PM
^^ You're new. Read the forum rules about comparing games.

# 71 WaitTilNextYear @ 03/26/13 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeats
^^ You're new. Read the forum rules about comparing games.
I'm actually trying to compare 2K13 against the review and its perceived shortcomings. I don't think I mentioned any specific other game, nor did I intend to. Maybe the SCEA part makes it seem like I did? I guess I could edit out that last little part...

# 72 cdh72469 @ 04/02/13 10:00 AM
As a 360 only owner who wants to play a baseball game I have read the reviews and watched many videos of both 2K13 and The Show. The Show looks great and I am still kicking around the idea of forking over my saved new gadget money for a PS3 and The Show but I just can't bring myself to pull that trigger yet.

I see most of the complaints on 2K13 are related to the lack of any updates and even improvements over last year's game. That doesn't really affect me, I haven't purchased a 2k baseball game since 2K9 or 10.

So I can either spend about $65 on 2K13, get my baseball fix and move on and spend my new gadget money on something else or I can fork over $300+ to play the non 360 game.

I'm still thinking on that....

# 73 tvman @ 04/02/13 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh72469
As a 360 only owner who wants to play a baseball game I have read the reviews and watched many videos of both 2K13 and The Show. The Show looks great and I am still kicking around the idea of forking over my saved new gadget money for a PS3 and The Show but I just can't bring myself to pull that trigger yet.

I see most of the complaints on 2K13 are related to the lack of any updates and even improvements over last year's game. That doesn't really affect me, I haven't purchased a 2k baseball game since 2K9 or 10.

So I can either spend about $65 on 2K13, get my baseball fix and move on and spend my new gadget money on something else or I can fork over $300+ to play the non 360 game.

I'd say it's a little late in the day to pick up a PS3 seeing as ps4 will be out this fall.

# 74 cdh72469 @ 04/02/13 11:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvman
I'd say it's a little late in the day to pick up a PS3 seeing as ps4 will be out this fall.
Well that isn't consideration for me because I do not plan to run out and purchase either of the new consoles anytime around release time. I'm one of the old guys on here with other priorities (family, work, etc.) way above gaming and my gaming time is at a premium these days to say the least. So I just want a fun first, realism second, experience.

# 75 Cardot @ 04/02/13 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh72469

If you can hold off for another 4-6 weeks, I would expect a price drop down to at least the $40 range.

# 76 pistolpete @ 04/02/13 09:20 PM
Quote:
No way. The PS3 can be had on CL for like $150.

# 77 EnigmaNemesis @ 04/02/13 10:29 PM
Never too late. Bought a brand new slim PS2 for The Show '06, when 2K6 was not good at all on the 360.

To add, Sony has never done a worldwide launch. So I do not expect the PS3 this fall in the states.

# 78 tvman @ 04/02/13 11:17 PM
I thought they had already announced a fall release?

# 79 EnigmaNemesis @ 04/03/13 09:37 AM
Quote:
I thought they had already announced a fall release?
Last I heard was "this holiday". Again, that would be Japan. The US and Europe would follow after more than likely the Spring. Just like the Vita and PS3.

But who knows. If they do a worldwide, it would be a first for them.

# 80 cdh72469 @ 04/03/13 10:27 AM
While I am very impressed by The Show videos and screenshots I cannot justify the expense right now. So I am going to pick up 2k13 and be content with that to get my Baseball gaming fix in.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.