Home
Madden NFL 25 News Post

We won't be hearing much about Madden NFL 25 until the cover vote has completed, but the Kansas City Chiefs Instagram page has posted an image of their head coach Andy Reid, surrounded by EA Sports cameras.

Let's hope EA Sports includes more NFL players as well.

Quote:
Ever wonder how #EAsports gets the graphics just right? #chiefskingdom following Coach Reid at owners meetings #nfl

Thanks meStevo!

Game: Madden NFL 25Reader Score: 5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 54 - View All
Madden NFL 25 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 SmashMan @ 03/20/13 05:15 PM
If the UniWatch/Twitter thread is any indication, this note is going to go over really well.

It's good to hear though - there's a lot of weirdness in proportions with coaches' bodies, so hopefully that's touched along with their likenesses.

# 2 IlluminatusUIUC @ 03/20/13 05:17 PM
I always thought you should be able to create-a-coach for online ranked matches if you wanted.

# 3 adub88 @ 03/20/13 06:35 PM
I can only hope they do this with players too. There are numerous players with horrible faces, and skin tones being way off and I'm talking about veterans.

# 4 CM Hooe @ 03/20/13 06:39 PM
In terms of player likenesses, offensive linemen's faces are horribly underrepresented in the face scan department.

How many face-scanned players does FIFA have? I've never understood why more players in Madden NFL didn't get the full nine-yard digital treatment. It's good to see that the team is continuing to refine their content capturing process and continuing to add new realistic content to the game, however.

# 5 tfctillidie @ 03/20/13 06:52 PM
WTF

Why is the cameraman taking these stupid photos rather than developing better OL blocking?! Better yet, what are you doing with Andy Reid's time letting him sit there, he should be coding a new footplant physics system instead!

WASTE OF RESOURCES AS PER USUAL EA!

couldn't help myself.

# 6 ObiJuanKenobi @ 03/20/13 08:37 PM
Yeah the coaches just look ridiculous in m13. Another thing I hope they improve is the detail to a players physique. In NCAA 13 the players have cuts and stuff and more muscle tone but in m13 they are just 2d and boring looking.

# 7 mestevo @ 03/21/13 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
I personally would rather they spend time on missing or incomplete significant NFL mechanics that actually mean something to the depth of the game instead of faces you only see on data screens or behind a helmet or some quick sideline shots. To me, this is more fluff over substance.
Which "significant NFL mechanics" specifically do you want photographers and visual designers working on?

# 8 cuttingteeth @ 03/21/13 03:07 PM
Quote:
I'm not convinced that this only involves photographers and visual designers. Plus it takes $'s to pay the photographers and visual designers. $'s are RESOURCES that can be put into other aspects of the game.

I wouldn't have these extra photographers and visual designers working on something else because I wouldn't have them working. I wouldn't be paying them. I would be using those $'s to pay someone else. Someone that could be adding more substance.

You seem to be under the impression that there's some law on the books that says X number of photographers and X number of visual designers need to be employed. I'm unaware of any such law. Please post a link to it and enlighten us.
It's what I've been trying to convey, too, but it's not sinking in. $$$ paid to Lukas for likeness usage + $$$ paid to twitter for their logo/brand usage = $$$ NOT paid going towards something more important. I think that some don't understand what a budget is, that it is limited and/or how they keep wasting it on BS that doesn't help the game play.

All of the people that keep telling me it takes only a few minutes to code for the twitter feeds...I got news for you, too. Remember when Ian Cummings said it only took so many minutes to code for full editing in the game? Well, then I have a more than fair argument when the few minutes coding for twitter crap wasn't spent instead coding for a few minutes on editing instead. Keep bringing the contradictions. I'll keep pointing them out.

# 9 CM Hooe @ 03/21/13 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttingteeth
It's what I've been trying to convey, too, but it's not sinking in. $$$ paid to Lukas for likeness usage + $$$ paid to twitter for their logo/brand usage = $$$ NOT paid going towards something more important. I think that some don't understand what a budget is, that it is limited and/or how they keep wasting it on BS that doesn't help the game play.
Everyone here understands what a budget is. Some of us understand that the game is more than what exists on the field and are willing to entertain any major / minor / minimal additions and tweaks which get announced by first-party or third-party sources, football gameplay related or not. Every portion of the Madden software is part of the game, the team can't just focus on the football gameplay portion in a vacuum and let the other parts of it stagnate. They must budget their resources to improve the entire game.

Quote:
All of the people that keep telling me it takes only a few minutes to code for the twitter feeds...I got news for you, too. Remember when Ian Cummings said it only took so many minutes to code for full editing in the game? Well, then I have a more than fair argument when the few minutes coding for twitter crap wasn't spent instead coding for a few minutes on editing instead. Keep bringing the contradictions. I'll keep pointing them out.
A misinterpretation and misunderstanding. Adding a new alias to the Twitter feed for Madden NFL 25 is simple content insertion and maybe adding a few new event hooks; i.e. "a few minutes". However, the feature itself likely took significant resources to implement into Madden NFL 13.

Conversely, unlocking player editing in Madden NFL 12's franchise mode was (according to Ian Cummings) a minimal effort with potentially game-breaking implications (which is why he ever went public with that information in the first place, to take a poll on unlocking it and to see how the community weighed the risk vs. benefit). The implication that unlocking full player editing in Connected Careers should have taken the same minimal amount of engineering is incorrect because CCM is a completely different mode, code architecture, etc. Further, similar to unlocking the interface in M12, fatal risks must also be considered when unlocking the interface in M13 / M25. The current team felt that the risks outweighed the benefits, and a small sample of that was seen via the player appearance editing bugs that appeared in online CCM once the interface was partially unlocked via a title update.

# 10 CM Hooe @ 03/21/13 04:29 PM
Quote:
Then CCM was poorly designed and coded.
Be your opinion as it may, the topic isn't about the design or implementation of CCM.

I referenced CCM as a specific example in response to the poster's assertion which equated unlocking player editing in Madden NFL 13 to adding a Twitter alias. This discussion organically evolved from the talk about "wasting of resources", which previously evolved from the face scanning of players and coaches into the next Madden game.

My point: this thread is not for the discussion of design and implementation of CCM. Any further discussion about this is considered off-topic to this thread, which will now go back to its discussion of the face scanning, its implications, and whether its a good use of Tiburon's resources. Please find a CCM-related thread in which to voice and discuss this opinion. End of discussion.

# 11 cuttingteeth @ 03/21/13 05:14 PM
You're right due to the fact that some of you talk in circles to where I can't figure out what side of any debate you are even on anymore.

The topic is better visual coding for the coaches. The question is whether or not it helps on field gameplay..? Another question must first be asked, though, in how are the sidelines and on field characters visually coded - the same or differently? If coded the same, then cool because their looks must all be matched up to their physics counterparts of movement, etc. If coded differently, then I think the answer has to be, only the players on the field matters more. The coaches/sideline visuals can wait, as we'd all prefer more on field fixes, first.

# 12 secondsolution @ 03/21/13 05:18 PM
I hope this is a 'back of the box' feature and just something they are doing for appearances purposes. I'm all for more realistic coaches, but not at the expense of gameplay and a realistic CCM.

# 13 rahulp959 @ 03/21/13 06:43 PM
It seems you all understand what a budget is, but completely fail to acknowledge who is in charge... Not developers, not physics guys, not photographers, managers. Managers hold the budget, and I promise you, EA set a budget for each part of the game, based on predicted revenue and other factors, remember that the senior managers are all being chased by every department who will market their change as "game altering", "the next big thing", and I promise you that they are not taking away $$$ from development to put into aesthetics. Each major area will have a budget, which they control how they want. I can bet CCM took a large part of the development budget last year.

As someone who has worked with EA in the past, and other development studios, teams, companies, there is always a set budget for development.

The other part is that the dev team is always quiet, you hear about all the aesthetic changes quickly, because they're easier to controllably leak, you can't leak physics easily, probably because it takes a long time to restructure large chunks of code.

Cheers
RP

# 14 Stroehms @ 03/22/13 01:52 AM
I bet they have Coach - Referee interaction scenes with the Real life ref likenesses in the game.

# 15 JaymeeAwesome @ 03/22/13 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfctillidie
WTF

Why is the cameraman taking these stupid photos rather than developing better OL blocking?! Better yet, what are you doing with Andy Reid's time letting him sit there, he should be coding a new footplant physics system instead!

WASTE OF RESOURCES AS PER USUAL EA!

couldn't help myself.
For a second there I thought this post was real. Good laugh.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.