Home
Madden NFL 25 News Post

ESPN's Jon Robinson has posted the first Madden NFL 25 screenshot, as well as a few details on the new Run Free Ball Carrier feature.

Quote:
...the game will highlight a "run free ball carrier feature" that will offer "unprecedented ball-carrier control and precision."

What are you hoping to see out of this new Run Free Ball Carrier feature?

Game: Madden NFL 25Reader Score: 5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 54 - View All
Madden NFL 25 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 Haze88 @ 04/07/13 10:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzsomehanz
2. Who will be on the cover should tell a million words.

This year is perhaps the gr8est cover fail. In years past the cover boy hinted that that position would garner favored attention.

This year CJ Jr was the cover boy and yet WRs failed to play like poster boys let alone CJ. The QB dictated the success. WRs struggle to go up for the ball.. they dont play to their roles like years past when a WR was not even on the cover.. I see it as a great blunder to showcase a WR cover and not showcase WR prowess with the Infinity Engine.

The above tells me that this image of Von Miller being bowled over by Arian Foster can be very misleading.

The direction of the series is becomming more and more mixed messaged and this wishy washy plattering is certainly detrimental to the companys success if they continue to resist connecting the dots and prevailing to do this off the cuff to their own beat

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2
This is the only reason I used to care about the cover.
Madden 2004(Mike Vick)-Improved improvising like he did routinely
Madden 2005(Ray Lewis)-Year of defense, hit stick introduced, defensive hot routes
Madden 06(Donovan McNabb)-Vision cone and precision passing
Madden 07(Shaun Alexander)-Improved running, blocker playmaker (desperately want this back now)

Notice how all these new features were on the PS2 and related to the cover player. I can't think of a legit new feature, let alone position-specific one, since then. If Randy Moss made of cover back then, imagine how the receivers would play. Imagine if Anyone from the Mid-00's Chiefs O-Line made the cover how the line-play would be. If CJ made the cover during the PS2/XBOX era, I guarantee we'd have receivers reacting to the ball the way the DB's do now.

# 122 JMD @ 04/08/13 07:17 AM
The picture looks ok but I hope EA can put out a game that makes me feel like I'm actually playing a game of NFL Football this year, instead of a game of ragdoll players tripping and falling all over the field and each other. If EA can't do that they should scrap Madden and go back to Mutant League Football, at least I could enjoy that game. After Madden 13 my expectations are at an all time low.

# 123 roadman @ 04/08/13 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfer717
Yeah 2k was bad with the jay-z stuff. but still pretty solid gameplay. and it really lets u tune the game to ur liking. I never felt that way with madden or any other ea game.

The show is amazing but in the end it's still baseball ya know. I love it but its hard to compare with sport games that have full contact and physics.

fifa just feels like every ea game to me. Ive played it alot and it just feels the same every game i play. and i have the same experience with nhl and madden. I never have wow moments. I see the same goals, touchdowns...etc. just very routine. And after a while it becomes frustrating
Eh, lol, maybe your playing too many EA sports game. Son only plays FIFA and being that he's played HS soccer and now college, feels it's sim like.

To each their own.

I only play Maddden and well we know the end result, it's not very sim at all.

# 124 Smoke6 @ 04/08/13 11:50 AM
Quote:
Its not that they cant figure it out - they choose to go this path of features that override the natural form of sim.

If 2k basketball had dribble moves you could string together as combos like a mortal kombat fighter fans would be jeering the same way we do about how the game feels tuned for arcade and COD

We gotta stop sliding these guys the incometent card... they dont deserve handicap parking - they are choosing to rest on their laurels.

*I personally avoided 2k13 bcause I felt jayz was dandruff and so was the dunk meter and the ability to throw it off the backboard at will.

This is exactly whats wrong with madden in just 2 words!!!

Nothing should be "at will"!

we had all these features that ended up doing more harm than good that were "at will" type features when they shouldnt have been...

Spec Catch,

Lead Passing,

Weapons,

Rocket Catching,

Nano Blitzing,

running the same play on defense regardless of the situation (down and distance, personnel) and thats another big issue. I have witnessed people come out in a pass defense and shut the run down with 1 down linemen and a user controlled safety who can commit to the run and still cover the pass all at the same time.

Addressing those issues aswell would go a long ways with me and most of that has to do with player movement and foot planting! But nothing should even "at will"!

# 125 Sausage @ 04/08/13 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
Exactly and this is where it starts to FEEL personal, even when it's of course not because EA is just doing what they see as good business. The "play our version of NCAA/NFL football or nothing" arrogance, seems mini me'ed right off of Peter Moore. The vast majority of football gamers wouldn't give an eff that EA is the only company making licensed football games IF they were able to customize them to play how they see fit.

I use the term arrogance because I think that perfectly describes the belief that Tiburon can create a core experience that's an ideal balance of "fun" and realism for everyone. What's worse, is at the same time they are making this claim to provide some mythical objective factory balance by default, they refuse to provide factory extremes for realism, a simulation setting and "fun", an arcade setting, because those are too subjective. LOL
I don't get why they don't attempt to create a realistic football game to the core and foundation, and then provide in-depth tutorials for the "supposed casuals" to understand football. These tutorials can cover defense schemes and offense schemes, strategy, etc.

This whole every "nub" should just pick up a controller and be able to play a "sim" football game is just mind boggling. Madden/NCAA "should = sim football w/ all the bells and whistles we see every Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and now Thursday.

Madden Arcade, Blitz, etc should be the pick up and play, one button do all game for the "casuals" that supposedly don't want any challenge.

It shouldn't be this hard fellas to enjoy a football game; My A.I. teammates should "not" make a play because I didn't immediately pick them and break the laws of physics to stop a pass or make a tackle. I know this is just a "game", but they are just ruining our favorite sport and people are noticing, but it all feels helpless.

# 126 Broncos86 @ 04/08/13 01:04 PM
Because Madden already makes them a ton of cash and sells well. Why would they spend extra cash when the game sells? That's the mentality of EA. if Madden didn't sell, then we'd see changes.

# 127 SageInfinite @ 04/08/13 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos86
Because Madden already makes them a ton of cash and sells well. Why would they spend extra cash when the game sells? That's the mentality of EA. if Madden didn't sell, then we'd see changes.
I wonder would they be changes for the better or changes for the worse? We saw what happened with NBA Live. The game wasn't meeting sales expectations and instead of building a more solid game, they went for even more gimmicks with NBA Elite. I just never know what to expect from EA.

# 128 BezO @ 04/08/13 01:46 PM
Quote:
So who's to blame, EA or the consumer?

Do that many people love EA's Maddenball? Are folks sending one message with their wallets but trying to send another in forums & worst company in America votes?

# 129 KBLover @ 04/08/13 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick13
Every time I hear someone complain about "stop on a dime" or players changing directions too fast I get sick to my stomach. Maybe the entire community is too young to have seen Barry Sanders play.
All I know is my power back can "stop on a dime" like Barry Sanders. His crappy AGI and all. Heck, I could do it with Chris Ivory (not good AGI).

If my player was rated 99 AGI, 99 ACC like Barry Sanders - okay, go for it (to a point, even Sanders can't defy physics).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick13
And certainly they need a system that accounts for weight, momentum and has enough variances to allow for different ratings like ACC, AGI and so on. Madden used to be fun because you could recreate some amazing things that you saw on Sundays, but now no one really "cuts" and I get that sudden direction changes without at least the illusion of momentum/foot planting is annoying, but the players who really amaze in the NFL get stripped down abilities on Madden because "it isn't fair that a 95 AGI RB just made my 71 AGI DE grab at air". I don't get it.
Players in the NFL foot plant, have momentum, and it's not just an illusion - it's what makes it effective (the foot plant isn't just a "physics thing" it's part of the move, the set-up, is he gonna stutter-step or is it a hard cut? I see him breaking down - what is he going to try?). It helps to force the defender to slow his momentum, only for the ball carrier to re-explode and go.

A lot of subtleties are lost, imo.

As for that "it's not fair my high AGI got by my low AGI DE", it depends on how it's done. That's too broad of a thing, imo. My next question is "how did the HB get by the DE?" If he got by with a slick change of the direction or by using the DE's momentum against himself, nice. If it was a nifty move that worked largely because of his AGI, also nice. That's a guy showing his ability and beating the DE with it.

If it's like now where the DE would "forget how to tackle", then no. Not nice. Or the DE has him wrapped up, but his "AGI is too low" so he hits with no power (not a glancing hit/off-balance attempt, but full contact that's "nerfed" because of the AGI/ELU of the HB), then I wouldn't like that either. "Not fair" is probably the wrong phrase - but it's not good.

# 130 Trick13 @ 04/08/13 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover

Players in the NFL foot plant, have momentum, and it's not just an illusion - it's what makes it effective (the foot plant isn't just a "physics thing" it's part of the move, the set-up, is he gonna stutter-step or is it a hard cut? I see him breaking down - what is he going to try?). It helps to force the defender to slow his momentum, only for the ball carrier to re-explode and go.
I want clarify, and perhaps I should have originally, that I am all for "foot-planting", "physics based" game play and generally anything that makes for a more realistic game experience.

I still miss the old "legacy" controls because to perform most moves you had to let off the "sprint" button, thus forcing your player to "gather" in effect.

I hate that the turning, zig zag stuff does not force "foot planting". I want physics represented, used as the foundation, but I also want EA to go farther than they have the will to go. I want them to find people who can analyze real football footage, like the sports science lab, to determine how to accomplish certain moves and movements within the game design.

# 131 hanzsomehanz @ 04/08/13 06:37 PM
Quote:

Yes man!

This is the one context where the whole is equal to the sum of its parts.

The less subtelties we have in the running animations : the more the run game feels less like a physical human body process - it becomes disjointed.

The pros as you alluded to depened on subtlety as a means to an end. Re: the provisions being made to m14s run game "the time is now" more than ever to see the raw mechanics with the infinity engine now in play.

# 132 speedy9386 @ 04/09/13 08:53 PM
Quote:
All I know is my power back can "stop on a dime" like Barry Sanders. His crappy AGI and all. Heck, I could do it with Chris Ivory (not good AGI).

If my player was rated 99 AGI, 99 ACC like Barry Sanders - okay, go for it (to a point, even Sanders can't defy physics).

As for that "it's not fair my high AGI got by my low AGI DE", it depends on how it's done. That's too broad of a thing, imo. My next question is "how did the HB get by the DE?" If he got by with a slick change of the direction or by using the DE's momentum against himself, nice. If it was a nifty move that worked largely because of his AGI, also nice. That's a guy showing his ability and beating the DE with it.

If it's like now where the DE would "forget how to tackle", then no. Not nice. Or the DE has him wrapped up, but his "AGI is too low" so he hits with no power (not a glancing hit/off-balance attempt, but full contact that's "nerfed" because of the AGI/ELU of the HB), then I wouldn't like that either. "Not fair" is probably the wrong phrase - but it's not good.
The funny thing is they had all that footplanting stuff in the last gen, don't know what happened.

# 133 Trick13 @ 04/09/13 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy9386
The funny thing is they had all that footplanting stuff in the last gen, don't know what happened.

A half truth there really. If you used the button moves the the player did some "planting" but you still had some pretty bad Left Stick zigzag garbage even on legacy gen.

# 134 Broncos86 @ 04/10/13 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
So who's to blame, EA or the consumer?

Do that many people love EA's Maddenball? Are folks sending one message with their wallets but trying to send another in forums & worst company in America votes?
I think it's two-fold. One: more people seem willing to deal with the issues of Madden in order to get their NFL gaming fix. Two: Forums such as OS are in the minority when it comes to gamers.

Honestly, I'd say most gamers aren't paying attention to what the offensive/defensive line is doing in Madden because they honestly don't know what they should be doing. As fans, they know that the OL blocks. Most fans who watch games on TV watch the ball.

Regarding foot-planting: last gen was just as bad.

# 135 BezO @ 04/10/13 10:47 AM
Quote:
I think it's two-fold. One: more people seem willing to deal with the issues of Madden in order to get their NFL gaming fix. Two: Forums such as OS are in the minority when it comes to gamers.

Honestly, I'd say most gamers aren't paying attention to what the offensive/defensive line is doing in Madden because they honestly don't know what they should be doing. As fans, they know that the OL blocks. Most fans who watch games on TV watch the ball.
As far as EA knows, group one loves the game as is. I hope they understand EA can't hear their forum complaints and worst company in America vote over the volume of their wallet.

Though I think group two is the minority, I don't believe it's so drastic that if all unsatisfied parties showed some restraint, it wouldn't show up on EA's bottom line. Though folks like us are the most vocal in forums, I have a bunch of friends that feel the same as me that don't visit forums like OS. We went from everyone having a copy of Madden to exactly 1 person I know that still buys it. And when we get together, it's the last game to see the inside of a console if at all.

I agree many only watch the ball when watching NFL football, but there are replays and commentary that show/tell exactly why plays work & don't work. Some may not be aware exactly why Madden doesn't play out like what they see on TV, but I think many are. They may not be clamoring for it like some of us, but almost all would notice immediately if blocking interaction were fixed.

# 136 Trick13 @ 04/10/13 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
As far as EA knows, group one loves the game as is. I hope they understand EA can't hear their forum complaints and worst company in America vote over the volume of their wallet.

Though I think group two is the minority, I don't believe it's so drastic that if all unsatisfied parties showed some restraint, it wouldn't show up on EA's bottom line. Though folks like us are the most vocal in forums, I have a bunch of friends that feel the same as me that don't visit forums like OS. We went from everyone having a copy of Madden to exactly 1 person I know that still buys it. And when we get together, it's the last game to see the inside of a console if at all.

I agree many only watch the ball when watching NFL football, but there are replays and commentary that show/tell exactly why plays work & don't work. Some may not be aware exactly why Madden doesn't play out like what they see on TV, but I think many are. They may not be clamoring for it like some of us, but almost all would notice immediately if blocking interaction were fixed.
You bring up some good points here. Just in my area, the group within my age range that actually plays Madden went from about 20 to like 3 over the course of this generation of consoles.

Talking to the guys that I run into that no longer play, the reasons are not work, kids, money, nagging wife - the reasons are realism, features they still miss from PS2 era, and the lack of depth in career mode. They feel that time spent on forums is time wasted because even though they don't buy the game anymore, the next group of young consumers fills in the gap they would have created. EA keeps its focus almost entirely on "tourney" style which heavily favors alleged "stick skills" over football strategy so the game has become less of a chess match and more of an arcade.

# 137 Broncos86 @ 04/10/13 12:43 PM
I don't play because I've reached a point where Madden wasn't fun. The need for NFL gaming just didn't overcome the glaring issues. I played Madden 2013 with season ticket and decided it hadn't fixed what I really wanted so I didn't buy. And I don't expect it at this point.

# 138 NYBorn81 @ 04/10/13 04:47 PM
Quote:
Its not that they cant figure it out - they choose to go this path of features that override the natural form of sim.

If 2k basketball had dribble moves you could string together as combos like a mortal kombat fighter fans would be jeering the same way we do about how the game feels tuned for arcade and COD

We gotta stop sliding these guys the incometent card... they dont deserve handicap parking - they are choosing to rest on their laurels.

*I personally avoided 2k13 bcause I felt jayz was dandruff and so was the dunk meter and the ability to throw it off the backboard at will.

Pretty sure that's a feature now. Or a less advanced form of it.

# 139 Valdarez @ 05/10/13 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School SD Fan
Looking... the same.

What I want is smoother animations, they have to work out this horrible herky jerky stuff.
That's caused due to the game only rendering 21 fps or so. That problem can't be fixed until next generation apparently due to poor design decisions when Madden was originally ported from last generation to current generation hardware.

# 140 Trick13 @ 05/10/13 08:33 PM
Will running at 60fps be achievable? And if so, will that smooth out Madden? Make for better "branching" animations? Are they going all "physics"? Will that allow for smoother game play, or will the "decisions/calculations" of a "physics engine" slow down the game?

What does Madden on PS2 run at?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.