Home
NCAA Football 14 News Post

ESPN's Jon Robinson has posted his NCAA Football 14 hands-on preview. Below are some nice nuggets of information pulled from the article.
  • The game will teach you how to read the option
  • 31 different option types (all the different veer options, shotgun full triple options, shovel options, the Pistol)
  • Open field blocking has been completely revamped
  • The option pass is controlled the same way as a play-action pass (no extra button presses)
  • New spread option playbook includes more than 20 new formations and 350 new plays
  • The AI is much smarter in the running game, including the option
  • Infinity Engine 2.0, more mature than what you saw in Madden NFL 13
  • Runners can stiff-arm the facemask or shoulder pads, showcasing various animations
  • Runners can avoid lineman with the new ball carrier avoidance system, no more running into the back of an offensive lineman to get tackled, runners will stick their hand out and sidestep blockers
  • The new stumble recovery system will help you in certain situations by flicking the stick up (to regain balance) or down to avoid collision
  • No more zig-zag running
  • No more auto-sprinting, speed bursts return, watching fatigue levels will be key
  • Call plays based on personnel

Game: NCAA Football 14Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 54 - View All
NCAA Football 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 pigsooie3 @ 04/03/13 10:53 AM
Having a hard time getting away from my phone to actually do some "work". Good read! Let the hype meter go thru the roof.

# 22 kingsofthevalley @ 04/03/13 10:56 AM
"Running locomotion has also been improved so direction changes will actually incorporate players making cuts as opposed to zigzagging their way down the field like past iterations. EA has also added a fatigue meter at the bottom of each player, letting you know how much energy you have on every play based on individual player ratings, and the more you do jukes, cuts and sprint, the more you’ll notice your meter drop dramatically".

I need to see all of this in motion. Great info.

# 23 HARTSTOPPER @ 04/03/13 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Unit40
I would love to fear going to College Station, facing a Manziel that has me stressing on 3rd and 4 wondering what CPU Sumlin is dialing up (give, read and keep, bubble, fake bubble, quick slant, etc).

I'll just stop now.
Don't you mean Texas A&M QB #2?

sent from the point of no return

# 24 SteelerSpartan @ 04/03/13 11:21 AM
hmm we'll have to see. As others have alluded to, I hope there isn't the overuse of only a few new animations.

Still Im pleased that this may be them finally taking a crack at getting rid of all the zig-zagging.

But questions remain.....How is the AI on the defensive side of the ball going to pursue....do they still have the same brain dead logic in their pursuit angles???...do they have just as effective stamina bars???...will there be functioning sliders to tweak the Post-Snap Stamina drain????

And hopefully they're waiting until a little later to reveal that they've overhauled the pocket/pass rush.

# 25 speedy43 @ 04/03/13 11:24 AM

# 26 BV11 @ 04/03/13 11:27 AM
Well, they listened. Time to see how well they executed, but as of right now, I am ecstatic.

# 27 Knight9299 @ 04/03/13 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerSpartan
hmm we'll have to see. As others have alluded to, I hope there isn't the overuse of only a few new animations.

Still Im pleased that this may be them finally taking a crack at getting rid of all the zig-zagging.

But questions remain.....How is the AI on the defensive side of the ball going to pursue....do they still have the same brain dead logic in their pursuit angles???...do they have just as effective stamina bars???...will there be functioning sliders to tweak the Post-Snap Stamina drain????

And hopefully they're waiting until a little later to reveal that they've overhauled the pocket/pass rush.
Exactly. It's nice they 'fixed' the option. Did they leave the same issues on defense that existed last year? Frozen DBs? Defenders with their back to the QB jumping routes that they shouldn't be able to see? Before I get jumped on for this being the initial preview- EA knows better. They could say hey- don't worry about defense we addressed known issues there too- stay tuned...

# 28 DJ @ 04/03/13 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Unit40
So many great additions, I just don't know where to rank them! Haha.

I want this game now.

How about the CPU running "smarter"? That is huge if true. If the CPU version of Oregon, Texas A&M, Miss State, Auburn, etc can run the option game effectively, I will be in virtual football heaven with all these other improvements. I would love to fear going to College Station, facing a Manziel that has me stressing on 3rd and 4 wondering what CPU Sumlin is dialing up (give, read and keep, bubble, fake bubble, quick slant, etc).

I'll just stop now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremym480
Sounds good, but my question is will the CPU be able to effectively run the option?

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2
Yeah, that could be a game-changer if EA can get the CPU to be a legit threat running the option, or any offense outside of single-back or pro-style.

# 29 geauxfan70 @ 04/03/13 09:09 PM
With all these new option plays, is the inverted veer play in? Basically a play side read option? Been wanting this play for a long time.

# 30 Armor and Sword @ 04/04/13 07:07 AM
Why did I read this? Why?

I will have a big wait and see this year as I am (one of the few apparently) still really enjoying 13.

But for me the real key is IE 2.0 it has to be tight and feel and play great or forget it. M13 was a beta with the launch of the engine. I hope it has been superbly tuned for NCAA which has been my go to football game for several years now.

The improved AI for the CPU in regards to the option is huge if it really is better and of course the blocking and line interaction.

Very promising.

# 31 darren1024 @ 04/04/13 08:30 AM
Remember that this is still a WIP guys. With the infinity engine now in, does Weight actually matter for OL? Will height come into play for WR/CB interaction? And why no mention of defensive improvements?

# 32 michigan21 @ 04/04/13 10:12 AM
Still waiting to hear something about defense. OL DL play. How weight is factored into those trench battles. I love playing defense, so I will hold out on jumping aboard the hype train. Hopefully presentation, ie pregame halftime postgame plethora of stats and stat overlays, will be included. Doubtful.

# 33 IlluminatusUIUC @ 04/04/13 11:48 AM
Quote:
For hard-core fans, EA Sports has even added the ability to call plays based on personnel. This new play-calling type is based on the number of backs, tight ends and receivers on the field, and you’ll now be locked into calling audibles that match your personnel (gone are the days of audibling between goal line and five wide to gain an advantage over defensive matchups by having a receiver running routes from the fullback position).
"I thought I was out, but they pulled me back in..."

# 34 Cowboy008 @ 04/04/13 05:06 PM
Great preview now I just want to hear what they did with dynasty.

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.