Home
NBA 2K13 News Post

Another NBA 2K13 roster update arrived this morning updating 14 players. Chandler Parsons and LaMarcus Aldridge had some of their ratings adjusted, but it didn't affect their overall rating.
  • J.R. Smith - New York Knicks +2 (84)
  • Iman Shumpert - New York Knicks +1 (81)
  • Jason Kidd - New York Knicks -1 (79)
  • Tobias Harris - Orlando Magic +7 (75)
  • Nikola Vucevic - Orlando Magic +5 (73)
  • Reggie Evans - Brooklyn Nets +3 (66)
  • Gerald Wallace - Brooklyn Nets -3 (74)
  • Mike Conley - Memphis Grizzlies +1 (83)
  • Tony Allen - Memphis Grizzlies -1 (75)
  • Steve Nash - Los Angeles Lakers -1 (82)
  • Jodie Meeks - Los Angeles Lakers +1 (69)
  • John Wall - Washington Wizards +3 (85)
Thomas Robinson for the Rockets is finally wearing #41. Thanks Rashidi.

Nothing else changed from the update that was released yesterday, which adjusted injured/recovered players.

To see the complete list of updates, make sure you visit The Real 2K Insider.

Game: NBA 2K13Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 75 - View All
NBA 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 Itsfuntobethespurs @ 04/04/13 09:02 AM
I find it funny that 2k updates all these Knicks players except Prigioni, who has been starting for them during the win streak

# 82 Maccy46 @ 04/04/13 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zniv
Harkless literally just got bumped in the last update. O'Quinn is wildly inconsistent and has had 4 good games all season.

Agree. I like Kyle and he has shown promise but there's nothing you can touch now until maybe the last update.

# 83 diehardknicksfan @ 04/04/13 09:28 AM
If u never watch a knicks game you would not no how different j.r. Is playing. He's making geting to the rim the #1 opinon. And making the step back jumpshot the last desperate option. J.r. Is far from a one dimensional playr ksuttonjr. One of the best rebounding guards. Solid to sometimes above average defender.

And why are y'all comparing a guy Who is a second option on his team to parsons who is at best the third option who's only way of scoring is the three or points in transition. Chandler parsons is a good player with a good future but he can't even create his own shot. Parsons is in the prefect situation for his skill set.
If he was put in j.r. Position. I'm not even sure he could put up 40% shooting with all the bail out shots j.r. Has to take. When using stats u have to take them in to context as well.

Paul George is a good player with a good future but he is kinds overrated. Not a good mid ranged shooter. His handles are suspect. Dosent draw alot of fouls. And every year his FG% gets worse and worse. That's probably due to his usage getting higher. But that also tells you he can't be a highly efficient first option player and is more of a second option. He is never going to be a great scorer like some people think unless he starts drawing more fouls. As of now he is a good 3pt shooter who can drive to the rim with no mid game and suspect handles who dosent draw alot of fouls when he drives and if we wanna just use stats. There's not much of a difference between j.r smiths PER and George's . J.r 16.9. George 17.4

Happy to see the magic get some respect finally. Might use them now since they gave Tobias and vucevic some respect.

# 84 mango_prom @ 04/04/13 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardknicksfan
If u never watch a knicks game you would not no how different j.r. Is playing. He's making geting to the rim the #1 opinon. And making the step back jumpshot the last desperate option. J.r. Is far from a one dimensional playr ksuttonjr. One of the best rebounding guards. Solid to sometimes above average defender.
Really? Smith takes 5.5 threes and 4 midrange shots per game. So no, that's not desperation at all.

Quote:
When using stats u have to take them in to context as well.
Alright, let's put it into context...

Quote:
And why are y'all comparing a guy Who is a second option on his team to parsons who is at best the third option who's only way of scoring is the three or points in transition.
Parsons actually is the second option on the Rockets. He's their 2nd best scorer and only Harden takes more shots. Oh, and talking about 3s...Parsons does not even attempt more three pointers than Smith...so all of your statements are simply objectively wrong.

Quote:
If he was put in j.r. Position. I'm not even sure he could put up 40% shooting with all the bail out shots j.r. Has to take. When using stats u have to take them in to context as well.
Let's say Parsons or Hayward would play on the Knicks instead of Smith and put up their usual efficient stats while Smith chucks away in Houston or Utah. Please tell me, would you still defend J.R. if he wasn't playing for your favourite team?

Also, bailout shots? Really? Without going into depth, the Knicks are a very well built team and a coach who knows how to make the pieces work. Actuall, Smith is in a very comfortable position on this team. He can get away with bad shots since the Knicks are winning. But playing for the Bobcats or Hornets, you surely wouldn't like him as much.

Basically, to me J.R. Smith is not much more than a glorified Ricky Davis...

# 85 ksuttonjr76 @ 04/04/13 10:16 AM
Quote:

And why are y'all comparing a guy Who is a second option on his team to parsons who is at best the third option who's only way of scoring is the three or points in transition. Chandler parsons is a good player with a good future but he can't even create his own shot. Parsons is in the prefect situation for his skill set.

Paul George is a good player with a good future but he is kinds overrated. Not a good mid ranged shooter. His handles are suspect. Dosent draw alot of fouls. And every year his FG% gets worse and worse. That's probably due to his usage getting higher. But that also tells you he can't be a highly efficient first option player and is more of a second option. He is never going to be a great scorer like some people think unless he starts drawing more fouls. As of now he is a good 3pt shooter who can drive to the rim with no mid game and suspect handles who dosent draw alot of fouls when he drives and if we wanna just use stats. There's not much of a difference between j.r smiths PER and George's . J.r 16.9. George 17.4

Happy to see the magic get some respect finally. Might use them now since they gave Tobias and vucevic some respect.
When the refs start calling those contact fouls when he drives to the hole, then he'll get those chances. However, that's a discussion for the Pacers Digest forum. Don't get me started here.

The drop in FG% is more from the transitioning of moving from a spot-up 3PT shooter (the previous coach's expectation of him) to being more of a slasher (putting pressure on defense while deferring to Granger/West/Hibbert) to being the Alpha Dog (caused by Granger's season-ending injury).

According to 82games.com, he has good ball-handling skills for his size and for a player who wasn't a facilitator in college. He only has 63 ball-handling turnovers given how often he's handles the ball in fastbreaks and half-court sets. If anything, Pacers Nation is more upset over how often he turns the ball over on passes (being too cute or passing up shots) than when he's stripped on the perimeter. The general belief is that his handles will get tighter as he get more and more confident/comfortable of being the Alpha Dog, and his passing turnovers will decrease as he learns more of what to do and not to do. To give it more perspective...George didn't really become the "Alpha Dog" until January. As for his mid-range game, he's still kinda streaky. However, 37% shooting is not necessarily horrible.

Personally, I wasn't part of the Parson/Smith conversation. I left that one alone.

# 86 ksuttonjr76 @ 04/04/13 10:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango_prom
I'll give Smith credit for his offense. The man has been a beast, since the ASW. The only bad games he had was against Golden State and Indiana (Guess who was guarding him ). Where 2K Sports is messing up is on his defensive ratings.

# 87 mango_prom @ 04/04/13 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76
I'll give Smith credit for his offense. The man has been a beast, since the ASW. The only bad games he had was against Golden State and Indiana (Guess who was guarding him ). Where 2K Sports is messing up is on his defensive ratings.
Absolutely, but I doubt that he'll maintain any of this. It's simply the formula of "Playing for the Knicks"+"A few good weeks" = "immediate rating boost" that I don't get.

# 88 diehardknicksfan @ 04/04/13 10:58 AM
Quote:
Really? Smith takes 5.5 threes and 4 midrange shots per game. So no, that's not desperation at all.

Alright, let's put it into context...

Parsons actually is the second option on the Rockets. He's their 2nd best scorer and only Harden takes more shots. Oh, and talking about 3s...Parsons does not even attempt more three pointers than Smith...so all of your statements are simply objectively wrong.

Let's say Parsons or Hayward would play on the Knicks instead of Smith and put up their usual efficient stats while Smith chucks away in Houston or Utah. Please tell me, would you still defend J.R. if he wasn't playing for your favourite team?

Also, bailout shots? Really? Without going into depth, the Knicks are a very well built team and a coach who knows how to make the pieces work. Actuall, Smith is in a very comfortable position on this team. He can get away with bad shots since the Knicks are winning. But playing for the Bobcats or Hornets, you surely wouldn't like him as much.

lol 5.5 for smith and 5.2 3s per game for parsons. thats a real big difference.

if they were on the knicks and put int the situation as the second sometimes first option on the knicks with the defense focusing on them every game. They would not put up there same stats on the percentages there doing now. It would be much lower. Especially since he is assisted on more that half his shots. He would fail terribly in j.r. Smith position.

And I was referring more to j,r, recent stretch were his FTA per game have jumped and he is constantly attacking the rim getting him EC player of the week

And if you watch one knick game you would know our offense is iso melo and iso j.r. And make it rain from three. And I'm sure smith is comfortable being option 1B behind melo. But that's not good for the team. But he is capable of doing for short burst not an entire season like he has been asked. J.r. Has to do alot more for his team then parsons does.

And I would defend him cause your trying to say a guy Whois really just a spot shooter and a defender is better then j.r. Smith.

Oh and j,r, has a higher PER. Don't really like PER but I just want to throw that in there

# 89 cj2008nw @ 04/04/13 10:58 AM
Quote:
And you're worst than a politician. Answer my original question. Did the Miami Heat use scouts to determine Lerbron's worth before offering the near max contract to him?

Also, you're comparing apple to oranges when you're talking about college PROSPECTS moving up to the NBA level, and you're just trying to introduce something new to "prove" your point. We were discussing the NBA...NOT college athletes, but since you want to act like Mr. Know-It-All, lets go ahead and explore that.

First off and what I stated NUMEROUS times already, stats are not the be all end all to everything. Next, NBA stats are the END results of some sort of production, and can be used to a degree to measure basketball IQ. If you have PG A who's averaging 5 TOPG and 1 APG vs PG B who's averaging 5 TOPG and 11 APG, PG A better have some other talents to bring to the table before a coach lets him run the offense.

Scouts are used for college prospects, because COLLEGE stats are not an indication of how SUCCESSFUL a player can be in the NBA. Why? It's a DIFFERENT type of game, pace, mentality, and competition when compared to the college level. Also, contract conversations doesn't matter, because contracts are based on the position of where the player was drafted at. When a player is a rookie, his agent doesn't have any leverage to "negotiate" his contract. However, when a player's ROOKIE contract is over what do you think they're going to use to determine the amount of his next contract?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD
I don't think you read my post because all I said was that Spurs and Thunder have the best Scouts in the NBA.... and Danny Green played with the Cavs for a year and Spurs signed him or traded for him. I honestly can't remember... but if the Spurs looked at Danny Green's Rookie Stats they would have NEVER signed him or even gave him a chance ,but they found potential in him and helped him develop into the player he is today

# 90 diehardknicksfan @ 04/04/13 11:05 AM
Quote:
Wanna see how George handles 2 of the hottest players in the league. With the the pressure of losing ground In the race for the second seed. Gunna have his hands full

# 91 cj2008nw @ 04/04/13 11:13 AM
Quote:
lol 5.5 for smith and 5.2 3s per game for parsons. thats a real big difference.

if they were on the knicks and put int the situation as the second sometimes first option on the knicks with the defense focusing on them every game. They would not put up there same stats on the percentages there doing now. It would be much lower. Especially since he is assisted on more that half his shots. He would fail terribly in j.r. Smith position.

And I was referring more to j,r, recent stretch were his FTA per game have jumped and he is constantly attacking the rim getting him EC player of the week

And if you watch one knick game you would know our offense is iso melo and iso j.r. And make it rain from three. And I'm sure smith is comfortable being option 1B behind melo. But that's not good for the team. But he is capable of doing for short burst not an entire season like he has been asked. J.r. Has to do alot more for his team then parsons does.

And I would defend him cause your trying to say a guy Whois really just a spot shooter and a defender is better then j.r. Smith.

Oh and j,r, has a higher PER. Don't really like PER but I just want to throw that in there

THANK YOU!!!! finally somebody with some sense!!

# 92 mango_prom @ 04/04/13 11:47 AM
Quote:
Do you even realize that my original question was simply if there's any good reason to believe that J.R. Smith is a more consistent player than Chandler Parsons and John Wall which is 2ks opinion? I never said that he's a bad player, nor that Parsons is objectively better. But do you really think that Smith is consistent? That was all, before you came in to defend your favorite team and the players you have to like in order to identify with their successes...

# 93 ksuttonjr76 @ 04/04/13 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj2008nw
I don't think you read my post because all I said was that Spurs and Thunder have the best Scouts in the NBA.... and Danny Green played with the Cavs for a year and Spurs signed him or traded for him. I honestly can't remember... but if the Spurs looked at Danny Green's Rookie Stats they would have NEVER signed him or even gave him a chance ,but they found potential in him and helped him develop into the player he is today
Bad example...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Green_(basketball)

He still had to play his way into the contract that he currently has. The Spurs gave him a second chance, and he played his way into a 3-year contract. Also, when teams talk about scouts, it's normally when people are getting information about college players that they're planning on drafting. Plus, the only time that I ever hear the comment "the best scouts in the NBA" is when they discuss how well the Spurs have drafted.

# 94 ksuttonjr76 @ 04/04/13 12:17 PM
Quote:
Wanna see how George handles 2 of the hottest players in the league. With the the pressure of losing ground In the race for the second seed. Gunna have his hands full
We'll see. As the season winds down, I got a feeling that it's going to come down to who each team want to see in the first round of the playoffs. Boston is just one of those team that you can never be too certain about come playoff time. I'm not trying to de-rail the thread or anything.

# 95 Streaky McFloorburn @ 04/04/13 12:26 PM
I just want to point out that 2K's consistency rating is defined as the ability to maintain a hot streak or easily get out of a shooting slump. Their definition has nothing to do with what people think of as being consistent IRL, but that doesn't matter here.

Is J.R. Smith the kind of player who maintains an even level of performance from game-to-game and season-to-season? Absolutely not.

Is J.R. Smith the kind of player who forgets about the last shot immediately and can get ridiculously hot or shoot himself out of a slump easily? Certainly.

J.R. isn't consistent by any common practical definition, but in 2K's world of esoteric and occasionally absurd vocabulary, where potential means actual and consistency means irrational confidence, he might deserve the highest rating in the game.

# 96 mango_prom @ 04/04/13 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streaky McFloorburn
I just want to point out that 2K's consistency rating is defined as the ability to maintain a hot streak or easily get out of a shooting slump. Their definition has nothing to do with what people think of as being consistent IRL, but that doesn't matter here.

Is J.R. Smith the kind of player who maintains an even level of performance from game-to-game and season-to-season? Absolutely not.

Is J.R. Smith the kind of player who forgets about the last shot immediately and can get ridiculously hot or shoot himself out of a slump easily? Certainly.

J.R. isn't consistent by any common practical definition, but in 2K's world of esoteric and occasionally absurd vocabulary, where potential means actual and consistency means irrational confidence, he might deserve the highest rating in the game.
Right, but looking at consistency ratings for other players...superstars get high values regardless of whether they're particularly streaky or not. So the whole rating itself might be too simplistic.

# 97 Streaky McFloorburn @ 04/04/13 12:39 PM
Quote:
Right, but looking at consistency ratings for other players...superstars get high values regardless of whether they're particularly streaky or not. So the whole rating itself might be too simplistic.
It's very simplistic. They use it primarily as an OVR booster. It just means, 'if you keep shooting with this player, you'll get favorable results sooner rather than later.'

# 98 Streaky McFloorburn @ 04/04/13 01:09 PM
To add to that, if the rating works the way I think it does, then the top of the scale is for players who are more likely to shoot better than their ratings, the middle is for players who are actually consistent in the practical sense, and the bottom is for players who are more likely to underperform.

What really makes the rating problematic is that it doesn't allow for players who easily swing to both extremes. They may need to reduce base shot ratings or perfect release margins for players with high consistency in order to keep them from shooting unrealistically well.

# 99 skillz7854 @ 04/04/13 03:43 PM
Why hasn't Jeff Green been updated yet I mean come on now dude has been amazing ever since he got the starting job he averages over 20 points. Why does Jeff Green still feel so stiff and slow as molasses, he should feel more Athletic just like in real life.

# 100 Bdubb @ 04/04/13 04:10 PM
Why do I have problems with Steph Curry's shot in this game? Its hard to time so sluggish looking, when I do time it is inconsistent, and it gets blocked alot. I swear that shot they have for him can't be right. Klay Thompson and Richard Jefferson can be money on that team through.

Sent from my DROID DNA using Tapatalk 2

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.