Home
NBA 2K13 News Post

It can be hard to see the positive when things are working—it’s much easier to see what’s wrong. It’s a distinction that was first put into philosophical terms by Martin Heidegger as the difference between the ready-at-hand and the present-at-hand and, weirdly, it’s really really easy to see in video games. When the mechanics of a game are ready-at-hand, we perform an action with the controller and what we expect to happen happens; when things don’t happen the way we expect or want, we call them “broken” and they are merely present-at-hand. In other words, lying there in front of us and useless.

You can feel free to ignore that whole paragraph, though. Here’s what you need to know: having already dipped into what NBA 2K14 should look to fix, it’s time to turn a kinder eye on the series and look at what it already does well. Some of these things really stand out when you compare 2K13 to older versions of the game, even as recently as 2K10.

Read More - What NBA 2K13 Did Right

Game: NBA 2K13Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 75 - View All
NBA 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 thedream2k13 @ 04/13/13 11:10 PM
one thing they did wrong was make advanced moves simplistic by making them double button taps. Eurosteps and spin moves shouldn't be mapped to a button.

# 22 kolanji @ 04/13/13 11:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues rocker
Yeah, I haven't played player vs player, like I said, so I can't speak to this stuff. from what I have read, a lot of people seem to be noticing the game "assisting" the team that is down in order to keep the games close, regardless of how the actual users are playing. I can't verify it in 2k13, but i saw hints of this in 2k12 when I went online. it seemed like 2k really didn't want people to get blown out and get their feelings hurt, so if you started to run up the score on the other person, they would suddenly start making all of their shots but without changing their strategy or playing better...it was like the game just wanted to help them out. i can't confirm for sure this is going on, but if so, it goes against everything that is right in the realm of competitive video games. it should all be about skill...if user A is making great decisions and getting open looks, and user B is just trying to ram it into the paint or jack up 3's, then user A should be able to blow out user B by 30 points.
quality play should be able to dominate poor play. i think this "assisting the loser phenomenon" reflects the overall cultural attitude of "there are no losers, and no one should have their feelings hurt"...blah blah blah. it's a competitive game...if you're not good at it, you need to practice more or move on to something else. the game should't coddle you and give your team a boost just to give you a false sense of confidence. real life doesn't coddle you, so these people might as well learn to deal with that.

I also think it has to do with what teams are being used. it seems like the "super teams" can win no matter how many terrible shots they take, just because they're the Heat or the Thunder. it seems like a forced attempt to make the great teams seem so much better, even if the so called "great" team is being controlled by a terrible user who is taking bad shots.

I get it from a business standpoint, though...i mean in the end 2k's real goal is to have a many people playing their game for as long as possible. i'm sure they have whole departments of people who analyzed numbers like how many losses a casual gamer can endure before they give up on a game...if too many casuals are getting blown out and feel the game is too hard, they will give up on the game and move on to something else...so from a business perspective, I understand why 2k might employ this "comeback assist" to give the casuals just enough hope to keep playing their game.
ok so am guessing ur an association kinda guy then........
yea this game feels like a scripted movie at times and makes u feel withdrawn as a user while frustration settles and lingers as u feel helpless and baffled by how unresponsive the game feels as momentum switches to the player losing without him making no adjustments.......
I challeng u bro find another user preferably a noob cause am pretty ur a seasoned player, and try to blow him out when u do Pm me the results

# 23 BallIsLife2 @ 04/14/13 12:52 AM
One thing I would definetly like to see fixed is the Sim Engine for both MyCareer and the Association. I'm tired of my MyPlayer averaging 27 ppg but when I sem a couple of games the average drops by 3-7 ppg. The drafts are often messed up as well. Top prospects are often drafted by teams that already have a (future) star at that position. Free agency must be reworked too. There is no way that CP3 should leave Los Angeles for Cleveland, of all places.

# 24 B1ackMag1c @ 04/14/13 05:34 AM
Adding myteam is something they did right

# 25 kolanji @ 04/14/13 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedream2k13
one thing they did wrong was make advanced moves simplistic by making them double button taps. Eurosteps and spin moves shouldn't be mapped to a button.
I don't have a problem with the using of buttons to do some advance moves,but what I have a problem with is the spin move more likely than not makes the dribbler hunch over and drops the ball .....that drives me crazy

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.