Home
NCAA Football 14 News Post

Tommy Gschwend, from The Gaming Tailgate, has posted a solid NCAA Football 14 pre-release Q&A on gameplay.

Game: NCAA Football 14Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 54 - View All
NCAA Football 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 myuz7 @ 04/12/13 11:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
and in a year they're obviously focusing on the run game, the running backs better look like they run realistic. What i've seen so far looked nothing like real life in terms of cuts and open field running. If we get 90 degree angle legs the entire time i'll be upset. No reason we shouldn't see guys stride their legs when they run and move them fast and take quick choppy steps on cuts. I know none of those things will be in but that's the point. It's frustrating that in a year they're focusing on the run game we still won't see guys run like they do in real life. It's just like how they touted the passing game and qb movement in the pocket and on the run last year but the throwing motions still looked awful. When other games can get things like movement down on the same systems (The Show is PS3 only so that's an advantage but other games do it), it's frustrating that they can't get it done at EA for their football games. This will probably be the last I comment for this year on NCAA (i hope) because I can already tell i'm skipping the game this year again (and i don't want to annoy people by sounding repetitive) but it's frustrating that the current people in place can't seem to put out a product on the level of other teams that work on other games.

Football is the most popular North American sport and the NFL & NCAA make more money than we can count but we can't get a game that can simulate the sport the way we can for the NBA, MLB, soccer, NHL, PGA. I think too many people come up with excuses like time or system limitations but if other companies/teams can do it, there is no reason it can't be done for football. I'm not putting this just on the people that make the games. I hear excuses about money and staff numbers, EA was just listed as one of the worst companies, they do put out some good games. They just can't put out a football game that is on the level of other games. EA shouldn't have problems about staff numbers, they should be pulling all their resources together. If Fifa can get more realistic running or hockey can get movement down better, communicate and solve the issue for why the guys in NCAA and Madden move and look so robotic. Work together on collision systems, AI issues. That is on the higher ups.

I just feel like they mailed it in halfway through this generation of systems. They tried to pick 1 or 2 big gripes they'd see people complain a lot about and act like they did something to fix it when really they just put a band-aid on a cut that needs stitches. I feel like when the PS2 was coming to an end (not the last year ps2 games were made, the last year before they came out on next gen) we were at a peak of innovation and the games were at their best. It felt like a college atmosphere, things felt fresh, the games were continuing to improve each year even though the prior year was great. Then we got on these systems and the quality just took a huge dip.

If you look at the graphics on those old systems or you play a ps2 version it's hard to argue it's better than what we have now but once they went a certain level with the graphics and we saw what these systems were capable in other games, the expectation level was set. These games came filled with glaring bugs, slow, bland menus, long save/load times, boring to no presentation and they had taken out so many things we had before. We had to beg for years to get colors on the cleats. Once they did that they never touched, improved, or worked on them again (NBA 2k releases new shoes every year and lets you customize them). They finally gave us a Stadium Sounds system and never touched or improved it again. They finally gave us a team creator with Team Builder, an innovative and ridiculously misused feature that they never improved or touched again. Never have I seen a more ignored and misused feature like Team Builder. We begged for dreads, they gave us Predator dreads and never touched or improved them again (still no eyeblack, mouthpieces, etc.).

I really hope EA does something drastically different on the next set of systems. It's a real shame that football fans don't get the quality game to represent their sport as NBA & MLB fans do.
Good post! I always prefer watching football rather than baseball, basketball, and soccer but in gaming wise football game's quality compare to The Show, NBA2K, FIFA is so low. I really hope that EA (or other company) catches up the quality next gen.

# 22 Skyboxer @ 04/13/13 01:38 AM
Another year without an NCAA Football game...
Pretty used to it now though. What a waste of a gen for football.

# 23 carnalnirvana @ 04/14/13 08:41 AM
from what i gather its pretty much the same as any other year, minimal improvements to glitches.....

reading this OS thread i see a lot of " maybe next gen" hope, and i wish that were true but i cant fall for that....

ncaa 13 and 14 isn't lacking because of hardware limitations....its lacking creativity, attention to detail and general knowledge of the sport...

like another poster said they have not fleshed out their own features...

i can understand certain player interactions needing next gen power to execute, but there are many little things that can be done to make this a better game...

1. the user can make custom gameplans, WHY cant i easily make a gameplan and give it to the cpu coach( so i dont have to see aaron murray or AJ Mcarron* running the option)

2. the accessories/unis, i am not a big accessories fan, but getting it close to right shows attention to detail

3. team/ player tendencies.... run/pass ratios are not enough

all three of these should have been done in 14 yet we will have to wait atleast 2 "NEXT GEN" cycles to get any one of those 3 i mentioned above....

at some point this game is going to need more options to customize gameplay strategy for the user and the cpu. Whats the point of the best most realistic pass rush animation when the game does not know that my/cpu ROLB is a pass rusher with 0 coverage skillz YET the AI calls cover 2 zone all game having him in coverage...

# 24 smack23011 @ 04/15/13 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMVJRT
lol if you dont get this game this year you dont know what your missing. Infinity engine 2.0 should be alot tighter this year. COmpared to last years game, which i hated and traded in the next day, it should be leaps and bounds. You guys are way to unrealistic with your demands.. the developers only get a year to make the damn game. I think this will be the best iteration yet, cant wait.
Wow... So all of these other games can have drastic improvements in the same amount of time NCAA does and be clearly better and EA can't? Yeah that made a whole lot of sense.

# 25 smack23011 @ 04/15/13 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mckinley Cash
I love the idea of using a gauge, like MLB 13 The Show. You should aim to the inside or outside shoulder with the left analog stick, and the power/accuracy should be decided with the gauge. It would replicate a real throwing motion in my opinion.
Exactly but we're limited to simply just pressing a button. How cool would it be to play as a low program with a 60-70 QB and struggle with him because he's not as good as the other ones. The better the QB the easier the passing gauge would be.

# 26 tessl @ 04/17/13 01:10 PM
I returned ncaa 13 after a few days out of frustration that gameplay was poor and didn't want to spend a month figuring out the correct sliders to fix it.

I love the game, the scouting and ability to create your own school in dynasty are fun but you have got to fix gameplay. In MLB the show I don't touch the sliders, they game out of the box is perfect. Hopefully this will be tested and fixed for the new version of the game.

# 27 Sausage @ 04/18/13 12:40 AM
Quote:
lol if you dont get this game this year you dont know what your missing. Infinity engine 2.0 should be alot tighter this year. COmpared to last years game, which i hated and traded in the next day, it should be leaps and bounds. You guys are way to unrealistic with your demands.. the developers only get a year to make the damn game. I think this will be the best iteration yet, cant wait.
We've been patiently waiting since 07' and like a battered spouse keep giving them another chance to be better. We are asking for a college football game that you know resembles football.

# 28 Sundown2600 @ 04/18/13 01:01 AM
Quote:
You said this last year right?

# 29 Matt10 @ 04/18/13 01:08 AM
I loved NCAA 13, still play it regularly. It's the DB Glitch that killed it. If a 14 is slapped on the 13 but the DB Glitch is fixed. I'm sold. I don't care - I just want to play a WORKING game by the time the start of the season comes around.

There, I made it SUPER easy for EA to get it right. Is that enough of a low expectation/demand? I'm at wits end at this point.

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.