Home
NBA 2K13 News Post

Another NBA 2K13 roster update yesterday morning with Kobe Bryant being taken out with his season ending achilles injury. It is likely he won't be back until the final update of the season. Thanks to The Real 2K Insider for his breakdown.

Injured Players

Incorrect
  • Rasheed Wallace (71) Knicks
  • Raja Bell (71/SG) Free Agents
New
  • Anthony Davis (79/PF) Hornets
  • Kobe Bryant (95/SG) Lakers
  • Steve Nash (82/PG) Lakers
  • Kenneth Faried (80/PF) Nuggets
  • Nolan Smith (67/PG) Trail Blazers
  • Nene (79/PF) Wizards
  • Martell Webster (69/SF) Wizards
  • Trevor Ariza (76/SF) Wizards
Recovered
  • Richard Hamilton (73/SG) Bulls
  • Chauncey Billups (81/PG) Clippers
  • Jared Cunningham (66/SG) Mavericks
  • Ty Lawson (85/PG) Nuggets

Game: NBA 2K13Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 75 - View All
NBA 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 mango_prom @ 04/18/13 06:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyklug2013
I'll tell you what, LD2k, I'm incredibly disappointed by the rosters, and I'm not the only one. Not only has the Insider committed a crime by neglecting many player updates (Gordon Hayward, Jimmy Butler, Danilo Gallinari, Marco Belinelli, etc.) that have deserved upgrades, but he has neglected players from the game entirely. How can this be taken as an Official Roster for an NBA game? The worst thing about it is that so many of the guys missing have their codes in the game. That's sad.

I know roster updates aren't your job, but we are all frustrated, man. We're tired of big market teams receiving every single update, while small market fans are left with rosters from months ago that weren't even that correct to begin with. How does JR Smith get more updates to his ratings/apparel than the entire Utah Jazz team? Talk about biased.
I agree. On the other hand, it's not like other sports games do that much of a better job regarding roster accuracy. Doesn't matter if you're playing FIFA/PES/2k/whatever...the main focus is simply not reality, but things developers know the vast majority of customers cares about.
And that's simply not realism.

So right now it's hard to argue with the way 2k does business, and they are not obligated to care about objective quality of rosters/playbook/whatever...basically we buy the product and assume that "they care", which they don't really have to.
Now if EA releases a quality product, it does't necessarily have to blow 2k out of the water. As long as it shows that the devs at least care about more than shoes and superstars, I'd gladly switch.

# 22 RandallB21 @ 04/18/13 08:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamarob
I recommend everyone to look at the final ratings of the players in 2k13 versus the ratings of the players on the first day of 2k14. If the ratings on most of the players aren't the same from the last 2k13 update to the first day of 2k14, then you already know that the ratings were arbitrary and not really being updated.

Example being. If Marc Gasol has a 70 mid range jumper, and 39 passing rating on 2k13 after his last game of the playoffs, and then in 2k14 he has an 80 mid range jumper and 59 passing rating then you know 2k13 was not updating his ratings.

The season ends tonight for 14 teams. 98 if not 100 percent of all those players won't play another meaningful game of any type before 2k14 comes out. I guarentee that 75 to 80 percent of all those players will have different ratings on 2k14.

If the roster updates are authentic then at least 50 percent (if not more) of the players should have the same ratings to end 2k13 as they do to start 2k14.
So no one improves in the off season?

# 23 RandallB21 @ 04/18/13 08:40 AM
Sorry, let me rephrase.

So 50%+ of the players int he NBA don't work on their skills in the offseason. They just stay the same player they were from one season to the next?

# 24 mango_prom @ 04/18/13 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallB21
So no one improves in the off season?
How do we know who improved/regressed during off season if we haven't seen them play?

# 25 turty11 @ 04/18/13 10:10 AM
my perspective is to start everyone in 2k14 with their season end ratings from 2k13....problem is 2k's ratings for 2k13 end of season are just way wrong

# 26 alabamarob @ 04/18/13 10:35 AM
Ratings are based off of game performance. There is no way to guess at what someone has improved on in the summer, and uf that work will translate to their in game performance. Some players get better and others get worse. My point is that 2k14 will have totally diff ratings out of the box. 2K14s ratings wont be diff because marc gasol's mid range got better over the summer. It will be beacuse he was a good mid range shooter this season. There is no reason josh smith is the best rated mid range shooter on a team with horford and korver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallB21
Sorry, let me rephrase.

So 50%+ of the players int he NBA don't work on their skills in the offseason. They just stay the same player they were from one season to the next?

# 27 mango_prom @ 04/18/13 11:00 AM
Quote:
Ratings are based off of game performance. There is no way to guess at what someone has improved on in the summer, and uf that work will translate to their in game performance. Some players get better and others get worse. My point is that 2k14 will have totally diff ratings out of the box. 2K14s ratings wont be diff because marc gasol's mid range got better over the summer. It will be beacuse he was a good mid range shooter this season. There is no reason josh smith is the best rated mid range shooter on a team with horford and korver.
What's his mid rating currently? Haven't downloaded official rosters lately. He's shooting 49% in real life, did 2k adjust any big men shooting ratings?

# 28 ksuttonjr76 @ 04/18/13 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango_prom
I agree. On the other hand, it's not like other sports games do that much of a better job regarding roster accuracy. Doesn't matter if you're playing FIFA/PES/2k/whatever...the main focus is simply not reality, but things developers know the vast majority of customers cares about.
And that's simply not realism.
Correct me if I'm wrong, I thought the Madden series have roster updates every week and MANY players are updated. NBA Live 10 was able to update their rosters daily...to my knowledge.

# 29 mango_prom @ 04/18/13 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76
Correct me if I'm wrong, I thought the Madden series have roster updates every week and MANY players are updated. NBA Live 10 was able to update their rosters daily...to my knowledge.
Yeah, you're probably right. Don't play Madden at all, tried it only once a few years ago, so I don't know much about it....

About Live 10, didn't they change ratings on a daily basis? I don't know if that's the way to go, since if a player has a few poor shooting nights, it's not because he has lost any skill...so maybe attributes like hustle/consistency could be affected by real life stuff, but in my opinion ratings should no be changed on a short term basis at all...

But they've hired Leftos and he did all that stat tracker stuff, so maybe at least the default base roster will make some sense in 2k14...

# 30 alabamarob @ 04/18/13 11:27 AM
Marc Gasol 70. Al Horford 80. josh Smith 86. John Petro 84.

Quote:
What's his mid rating currently? Haven't downloaded official rosters lately. He's shooting 49% in real life, did 2k adjust any big men shooting ratings?

# 31 mango_prom @ 04/18/13 11:36 AM
Quote:
Marc Gasol 70. Al Horford 80. josh Smith 86. John Petro 84.
lol@Josh Smith...so shooting 30% this year gives you an 86 rating...sounds about right...

# 32 giftedchick @ 04/18/13 12:00 PM
Quote:
Yeah, you're probably right. Don't play Madden at all, tried it only once a few years ago, so I don't know much about it....

About Live 10, didn't they change ratings on a daily basis? I don't know if that's the way to go, since if a player has a few poor shooting nights, it's not because he has lost any skill...so maybe attributes like hustle/consistency could be affected by real life stuff, but in my opinion ratings should no be changed on a short term basis at all...

But they've hired Leftos and he did all that stat tracker stuff, so maybe at least the default base roster will make some sense in 2k14...
it wasnt realy like that... a bad stretch by a good player wouldnt drop their base rating significantly.. but they incorporated hot and cold streaks as well

# 33 LD2k @ 04/18/13 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JZ2
Rosters have been pathetic and ignored this whole gen for what 8 years and nothing has changed.
Ignored? No. Could they be improved? Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyklug2013
I'll tell you what, LD2k, I'm incredibly disappointed by the rosters, and I'm not the only one.
I can't reiterate this enough, but this has been a huge focus going forward. I am here, reading the feedback. We've had some great discussions with the NBA 2K Insider about streamlining this entire process.

# 34 LD2k @ 04/18/13 12:44 PM

# 35 LD2k @ 04/18/13 12:59 PM
JZ2, Just because we don't "like" something doesn't mean it can be easily "fixed," but as I mentioned, it's a big focus moving forward.

There is hope.

# 36 Goffs @ 04/18/13 01:10 PM
Where is the info for the PC patch...it's almost May! Where's my hope in getting it this month?

# 37 mango_prom @ 04/18/13 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LD2k
We've had some great discussions with the NBA 2K Insider about streamlining this entire process.
Don't want to come off as rude, so please don't take this the wrong way...but what are you even talking about when you say "streamlining"? English is not my first language, even looked the word up...and it simply makes no sense at all. What should be "streamlined"?

The fact that 18 real players are still missing and have not even been added with some generic faces to at least have them in the game at all?
Inaccurate ratings that simply do not recreate the real NBA, but rather
some fantasy league that only exists in the minds of superstar fanboys?

Let's say developing the game under the pressure of an already fixed release date leads to problems, so I could imagine it's impossible to focus on that stuff before the game is released.

But here we are 6 months later, 2k still insisting on the "2k insider" marketing gimmick...what should be "streamlined" exactly, if the guy responsible for ratings apparently thinks that Josh Smith is one of the best midrange players in the world?
If Gordon Hayward and Andre Iguodala had the same draft combine verticals, yet the unknown Utah player gets the same vert rating as some big man stiff?

I mean which league is "he" watching? Because it sure isn't the NBA you can follow on TV...Now a lot of the "I could do better" talk is simply nonsense, at least related to game design, programming and so on.
But if we're strictly talking about getting 2k rosters as realistic as possible, then yeah...I could do better. And I'd love to, so I don't get how you can screw up at this dream job so badly.

If the focus is not the real NBA, I get that and the current strategy has proven to be successful, so I can't argue with anything. But if the idea is really to "simulate" the real league, we don't need streamlining, social media integration, the insider or whatever marketing comes up with, but simply someone who loves basketball and cares about doing his job how it's supposed to.

Again...if realism is not the focus (and it shouldn't, since it's a business), I kinda take back anything, because maybe the "insider" is doing exactly what he's supposed to.

# 38 H8terhatesU @ 04/18/13 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRepIndiana
Also not to mention. Dwight Howard had the most accessory updates of any player.

Headband, no headband, undershirt, ECT.

It's unreal. If you don't play for the Lakers, Heat or Thunder, you don't matter.

C'mon 2k there's 27 more teams in the damn league.
To be fair, the Thunders didn't really get an update until around last year. When they were the Seattle Supersonics and starting out as the Oklahoma City Thunders, they were not updated that often by 2K in their past NBA 2K games with. Kevin Durant was the only one that actually got updates, but even then it wasn't that huge until NBA 2K10.

It is still not fair to smaller market teams, but at least the fans that have been pushing for the Supersonics and the Thunders to get updates all those years finally have their wish granted.

# 39 H8terhatesU @ 04/18/13 02:12 PM
Disregard the comment above mine. That was my cousin and he was using my computer. I didn't start playing NBA 2K until 2K11, so I can't back up his statement.

# 40 LD2k @ 04/18/13 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JZ2
Time to scrap the 2k insider. Until this happens nobody will take your rosters or them getting fixed seriously.

I'm a Milwaukee Bucks fan. We all know nothing will ever change until Herb Kohl is gone. Same with the 2k insider.

He is the problem. Unless 2k sports says hey 2k insider your on the clock you got 30 minutes of time for the next roster update and that's it. If the 2k insider is given a larger amount of time or even all the time he wants than he is the problem.

If the 2k insiders job is to watch a ton of basketball games and work on rosters 40 hrs a week than case closed.

M
So he has your vote or...?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.