Home
NHL 13 News Post

Now that the trade deadline has come and gone in the NHL, the teams with new assets are evaluating what exactly they got for all of the prospects, picks and players that were sent the other way. Most meaningful players picked up at the deadline were done so for rental purposes as they always are, as teams just want to have them for a potential playoff run. Of course, a few teams made moves for cap reasons and just to shuffle personnel around — a small token to their fanbase that “shows” that the GM tried to do something.

To gauge the impact of some of these players on their respective teams, I figured that a simulation over a season of NHL 13 would tell an interesting tale as to how each player impacts their respective new teams. Oftentimes it seems that rental players get discarded just because a team gets bounced in the first round, so I thought it would be intriguing to see how they would hold up over a full season.

I simulated a full season and playoffs, and I enabled injuries for some reality. I disabled trades, as I wanted to see how these players would hold up over the long haul. It's not a perfect solution, but I figured it might give a good sense of what kind of impact some of these trade deadline players would have. For the purpose of this sim, I surveyed the trade deadline list and picked the ten players that I felt were the biggest acquisitions. This means that I focused on higher-profile trades and avoided teams swapping plugs for seventh rounders and trades of that sort.

Read More - Judging the Rentals: Which NHL Trade Deadline Players Were the Best Catches?

Game: NHL 13Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
NHL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 PensDynasty87 @ 04/22/13 12:41 PM
Really no look at iginla morrow murray or jokinen for pittsburgh I think they were the biggest acquisitions this year at the tread deadline

# 2 Fiddy @ 04/22/13 01:32 PM
lol.. no Morrow? no Iginla? no Murray?

hilarious...

# 3 Wiggy @ 04/22/13 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
lol.. no Morrow? no Iginla? no Murray?

hilarious...
For clarity, I picked trades that happened on the actual day or the day before. This list was just a sample and not meant to be exhaustive. I agree that maybe I should've had a couple of those guys on there, but frankly, I'd say that plenty of people in the list I have will be just as relevant as players like Jokinen or Morrow.

# 4 Dylonus @ 04/22/13 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy
For clarity, I picked trades that happened on the actual day or the day before. This list was just a sample and not meant to be exhaustive. I agree that maybe I should've had a couple of those guys on there, but frankly, I'd say that plenty of people in the list I have will be just as relevant as players like Jokinen or Morrow.
What about Jussi Jokinen? The Penguins got him for this season AND NEXT and Carolina took 900k of his contract. Pittsburgh paid a CONDITIONAL 7th for two years of Jokinen and he's already got 4 goals and 4 assists (plus a shootout winner) in 6 games with Pittsburgh; while playing all forward positions in both even strength and PK situations. He's been an utter steal for Pittsburgh.

# 5 JKGuy16 @ 04/23/13 10:37 AM
Gaborik is not a rental. He has another year on his contract.

# 6 Reiny09 @ 04/23/13 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKGuy16
Gaborik is not a rental. He has another year on his contract.
Same goes for Pominville, Erat, Bouwmeester, and Mason. I think this was more just judging the impacts of the major deadline day deals, not just the rentals that are UFA's after this year.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.