Home
Madden NFL 25 News Post

GotGame has posted this Madden NFL 25 video interview with Creative Director, Rex Dickson. They discuss the new and improved running game, defense and Infinity Engine 2.0. A few snippets of gameplay are included.

Game: Madden NFL 25Reader Score: 5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 54 - View All
Madden NFL 25 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 BengalsFan99 @ 04/29/13 10:12 PM
They did themselves a HUGE disservice by showing those lame videos. They should have started talking about the franchise mode 1st!!! EA should really discuss doing a roster update and holding off a year to really make a GOOD game. Give M13 a roster update with all the rookies and trades and let this M25 come out next Aug. So far this looks LAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

# 122 Gosens6 @ 04/30/13 10:55 AM
I feel like this is merely a situation where they ran out of "Back Of The Box" feature ideas, and they decide to appeal to the masses (Casual Gamers) with BIG HITS AND RUNNING BACKS WHO BOWL OVER DEFENDERS OMG!!!!!

It's this, or they're saving the BIG features for the next gen release. Either way, it looks terrible, and, there's really no other way to put it. This video looked absolute awful. From the animations, to the player movement, to the tackling and the trucking. I mean WHAT? I have never in my life seen guys get tackled or trucked the way they have in this video and the many other videos we've seen.

THIS is how they improve defense? What about getting rid of psychic defenders, fixing the line play so that DEs actually get pressure on the outside. Proper cover packages and the ability to assign certain defenders to certain offensive players. They improve defense with a NEW hit stick and heat seeker tackling? My god... Just come on..

EA packed it in with this one.

# 123 TreFacTor @ 04/30/13 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettogeeksta
I tell you what, the animation where the ball carrier trucks the defender and they go flying back in mid-air like they got hit by a real truck! That unrealistic animation aint going no where and will be in the final build because Iv'e seen it in the NCAA Football 14 trailer and the Madden 25 trailer, so hopefully it doesn't happen that much.
Your right, I didn't notice it at first when I watched the NCAA trailer...why does it look so much better in ncaa though? It appears that uninterruptable animations are still there also.

# 124 Only1LT @ 04/30/13 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guapo516
For the life of me I can understand some people's logic! How can you come on here and complain about the seeing too many big hits in this DEMONSTRATION. Thats like going to a car show saying there are way too many cars in here. That's what was supposed to be highlighted. Do you really think that's gonna happen every play? This just let's me know some people are looking for something to complain about. Now I know people want to get there moneys worth when purchasing something but a playable demo comes out before the game is released! Play it then Decide if its worth purchasing! Does that not make sense?

Now I haven't bought madden in 3 years cause I didn't like what I saw but I like what I see and can't wait for the demo to give it a try and make a decision on whether I'll be purchasing this game or not

Doesn't matter if it's a highlight reel of big hits or if it won't happen all game. If there is even one hit that looks physically impossible, than that is one physically impossible hit too many.

This is supposed to be a sim football game. Not Infamous 25.

# 125 Gosens6 @ 04/30/13 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
Doesn't matter if it's a highlight real of big hits or if it won't happen all game. If there is even one hit that looks physically impossible, than that is one physically impossible hit too many.

This is supposed to be a sim football game. Not Infamous 25.
The funny thing is, the "new" trucking animation that they keep showing off, where the defender flies off his feet and lands backwards, was an animation from the PS2 days of Madden. The exact same animation..

It was unrealistic and silly back then, and it's unrealistic and silly now.

# 126 Valdarez @ 04/30/13 02:24 PM
All this talk about running and blocking still doesn't work. *sigh*

# 127 jpdavis82 @ 04/30/13 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan99
They did themselves a HUGE disservice by showing those lame videos. They should have started talking about the franchise mode 1st!!! EA should really discuss doing a roster update and holding off a year to really make a GOOD game. Give M13 a roster update with all the rookies and trades and let this M25 come out next Aug. So far this looks LAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
From what I've read outside of these forums, the consensus is pretty good regarding the Run Free trailer, this video I posted here will probably be seen by 1-200 people tops so I don't think it will matter. I think the news they release on Connected Franchise next Monday will either kill or stir a ton of hype for Madden 25. Most people that complained about Madden 13 mainly mentioned something about CCM. I think next Monday, May 20th, and the E3 press conferences and videos will impact people's level of excitement/apathy towards M25 more than any other media they release will.

I'm on the fence with this gameplay stuff I'm seeing, it's definitely been disappointing so far but hoping E3 hands on gameplay vids will show us some encouraging signs.

# 128 kingsofthevalley @ 04/30/13 06:32 PM
I dont know folks, weren't these same big hit animations in Madden/NCAA 13? Did those hits happen often?

# 129 Sausage @ 04/30/13 08:28 PM
I would like them to discuss whether player morphing and predetermined animations will override the physics and what is humanly possible. I know they won't, but maybe they have tuned it better.

# 130 TreFacTor @ 04/30/13 11:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sausage
I would like them to discuss whether player morphing and predetermined animations will override the physics and what is humanly possible. I know they won't, but maybe they have tuned it better.
This is what bothers most people about the McFadden run in the video. The stumble animation seems to override the fact that McFadden should fall. They need to make the stumble animation only occur if the player has one foot on the ground otherwise let him fall. Things like that occur in the NFL so let it play out. I'm certain no one would have complained...as a matter of fact they should have picked another clip altogether... who made the decision that was the best clip to showcase?

# 131 Trick13 @ 04/30/13 11:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreFacTor
...who made the decision that was the best clip to showcase?
After reading the OS blog about "working in the ...industry", this doesn't surprise me at all, but your point is well taken.

I wonder if sometimes, even the guys on the dev crew, they watch the game on screen so much that they lose track of "reality" in terms of physics. I mean if all you see all week long at work is Madden running, then it is possible that your perspective, relative to actual NFL footage, gets jacked up.

If I were in charge of Madden's development, there would be lots of NFL footage running on screens all over the place, so that it would be a grounding effect and an easy thing to find examples of what they are shooting for...

# 132 TreFacTor @ 04/30/13 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick13
After reading the OS blog about "working in the ...industry", this doesn't surprise me at all, but your point is well taken.

I wonder if sometimes, even the guys on the dev crew, they watch the game on screen so much that they lose track of "reality" in terms of physics. I mean if all you see all week long at work is Madden running, then it is possible that your perspective, relative to actual NFL footage, gets jacked up.

If I were in charge of Madden's development, there would be lots of NFL footage running on screens all over the place, so that it would be a grounding effect and an easy thing to find examples of what they are shooting for...
I don't remember what video I watched, but there was a pretty big guy in a motion capture suit and it appeared that they were attempting to mocap a hurdle move. The thing is the person wasn't hurdling a rolling object or even a moving one as would be the case in an NFL situation...it was a stationary block about 2 ft by 2 ft... this is where they need all the film they can get. I think they put too much faith in their animation library and it's reaching a point of hubris. They seem to mocap a few new animations and loose others because of disc space or maybe even memory limitations (IDK). Add to that the jerkiness of the animations when the players interact or otherwise branch in animation sequence and you have what we see here... for a company that's been making this game so long and alone on this gen you just expect more, at least I expect more, but maybe my expectation exceed their ability.

# 133 The_Balm @ 04/30/13 11:45 PM
They need a new animation system so bad and I really hope they have a new one in the works for next gen. The movement and interaction of players should have nothing to do with the animations, the animations should change and be generated for the circumstance not the other way around.

This would make the game look and play so much better, it would remove suction tackles, suction blocking and get rid of the really ugly overrides of the physics engine where a guy is going down but he gets tackled and the animation moves him up a foot for a split-second and then he gets put down into the ground, it really looks weird and makes all contact between players look really jerky.

# 134 N51_rob @ 04/30/13 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsofthevalley
I dont know folks, weren't these same big hit animations in Madden/NCAA 13? Did those hits happen often?
That's not the problem. The problem is that EA is hyping that feature and EA never hypes a feature and then implements it subtlety. If they introduce and/or hype a feature it is done over the top. Remember hit-stick in madden 05? Ray Lewis almost caused a fumble on every tackle. How about precesion passing last year. Your QB could change a route and the WR would instantly know and change his route on the fly, while the defense was left running to nowhere.

So now EA is hyping some other new features like the stumble recover and as the Raider clip shows, you can recover from a stumble even when you have no feet on the ground and are falling forward. So for anyone to assume that EA will tone down, limit or minimize the effect of any new features would be IMO making a naive assumption.

# 135 Trick13 @ 04/30/13 11:50 PM
Quote:
I don't remember what video I watched

... for a company that's been making this game so long and alone on this gen you just expect more, at least I expect more, but maybe my expectation exceed their ability.
As far as "mo-cap" is concerned, I wonder why they still use it??? The show on ESPN - Sports Science - manages to calculate angles, centrifugal acceleration, velocities, downward force on cuts, and all kinds of other measurements just from regular "footage" - i saw one where they calculated a NBA shot in terms of force, angle of release and yada yada all from the broadcast camera.

Considering their deal with the NFL, would it not be fairly easy for EA to use game film and hire one of these super smart "geeks" (deep respect) to calculate these things and utilize them to "create" animations with the real world data???

# 136 The_Balm @ 04/30/13 11:55 PM
Quote:
As far as "mo-cap" is concerned, I wonder why they still use it??? The show on ESPN - Sports Science - manages to calculate angles, centrifugal acceleration, velocities, downward force on cuts, and all kinds of other measurements just from regular "footage" - i saw one where they calculated a NBA shot in terms of force, angle of release and yada yada all from the broadcast camera.

Considering their deal with the NFL, would it not be fairly easy for EA to use game film and hire one of these super smart "geeks" (deep respect) to calculate these things and utilize them to "create" animations with the real world data???
This would be great, but this is the team that has the "ratings czar" who crunches everybody into the top third of the scale, but that's another topic. I would love more real-world data for animations and/or ratings.

# 137 TreFacTor @ 04/30/13 11:55 PM
Quote:

They are supposed to already have all of that information and more. There was an article about it in december about just that....but we all know EA's not going to do anything with it.

http://www.polygon.com/2012/12/28/38...madden-ratings

Of all the things mentioned so far about Madden 25, I haven't heard anything that would convince me they are using the information and tape they have to it's full advantage. It's darn sure not represented in the run free video. The devs need to stop making football moments happen and make a simulation football game.

# 138 Trick13 @ 05/01/13 12:05 AM
Quote:
They are supposed to already have all of that information and more. There was an article about it in december about just that....but we all know EA's not going to do anything with it.

http://www.polygon.com/2012/12/28/38...madden-ratings

Of all the things mentioned so far about Madden 25, I haven't heard anything that would convince me they are using the information and tape they have to it's full advantage. It's darn sure not represented in the run free video.
That article speaks to ratings, which I am sure could be taken from that "tech", but I am more interested in them using the Sports Science data analysis to create "animations" and retool "player movement" with actual physics as the basis. Not saying they should not use that to flesh out ratings, but I was more or less looking at the SS show and thinking that somebody, somewhere should be using that to build animations that are more accurate at "replicating" human movement.

And maybe animation is not the right word, but I think everybody knows what I mean...

# 139 Only1LT @ 05/01/13 09:30 AM
Good ideas on animations.

I really do not get what is the issue with EA Sports and their Mo-Cap tech. It's like the more money they spend on it, the worse it gets. It really isn't that hard.

Videogames have digitized film for decades. The original Mortal Kombat is nothing but actors, acting out moves, and then it is digitized into a 16bit environment. The Movements were realistic. Missing many frames, but that was due to the limitations of the technology.

There is a plethora of NFL footage. Walt Disney back in the fifties was drawing animated images over live action actors on the film cells, to capture realistic movement. Is it really that difficult to take actual footage of an NFL running back and translate that to an animated environment? Is Walt Disney really that much smarter than every other human being on the planet?

I just can't.

# 140 DGMia05 @ 05/01/13 02:42 PM
I want online franchise back!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.