Home
NCAA Football 14 News Post

During a recent interview with Machinima, Producer Ben Haumiller introduces the Skills Trainer for NCAA Football 14, which teaches players some of new gameplay mechanics. No word on whether it will be similar to FIFA's version of the skills trainer.

Game: NCAA Football 14Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 54 - View All
NCAA Football 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 coogrfan @ 05/01/13 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BA2929
Does EVERY thread that includes something new have to come back to cleats and helmets?!?!? Why can't there be just ONE thread that introduces a new feature without someone chiming in about cleats and helmets? Why can't we just discuss the new skills trainer and spitball about what it's going to include or if it's going to be in dynasty in this thread and that's it? Is that too much to ask?

I understand you guys really, really want these things, but seriously, EVERY thread?
Cleats are the new dreads.

# 22 KANE699 @ 05/01/13 06:53 PM
Quote:
Does EVERY thread that includes something new have to come back to cleats and helmets?!?!? Why can't there be just ONE thread that introduces a new feature without someone chiming in about cleats and helmets? Why can't we just discuss the new skills trainer and spitball about what it's going to include or if it's going to be in dynasty in this thread and that's it? Is that too much to ask?

I understand you guys really, really want these things, but seriously, EVERY thread?
This is the proper thread to discuss this in, this is the sights and sounds, the sights aka the uniforms is what they are bringing up here, and if you noticed, just like in the past few years they haven't really put much thought or a full go effort into it, undershirts and accurate uniforms are what they are talking up but that should be standard stuff.

You are supposed talk up unique additions to the game not things that should be average baseline stuff that you need to put out a good product.

You talk skills trainer, I'll bring up season showdown. It's practice with helpful pointers for people new to the game and stuff to help you with new control mechanics, it's not really a big deal.

A new feature they should be amping isn't a feature at all, it's just bringing realism to the game.

"THIS YEAR WE BRING YOU UNPRECIDENTED AUTHENTICITY TO THE COLLEGE GAME, ALL THE LATEST UNIFORMS, ALL THE NEW HELMETS FROM LAST YEAR AND SOME BEING INTRODUCED THIS YEAR, ALL THE NEW GLOVES AND SHOES FROM NIKE UNDERARMOUR AND RUSSELL! YOU ARE ABLE TO MAKE EVERY PLAYER INCLUDING YOURSELF LOOK JUST LIKE THEY DO ON SATURDAYS."

That's what this blog is trying to discuss but you can see what it obviously is missing.

# 23 jello1717 @ 05/01/13 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KANE699
This is the proper thread to discuss this in, this is the sights and sounds, the sights aka the uniforms is what they are bringing up here, and if you noticed, just like in the past few years they haven't really put much thought or a full go effort into it, undershirts and accurate uniforms are what they are talking up but that should be standard stuff.
this is NOT the sights and sounds thread. This is the skills trainer thread which has NOTHING to do with cleats.

# 24 KANE699 @ 05/01/13 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
this is NOT the sights and sounds thread. This is the skills trainer thread which has NOTHING to do with cleats.
This is the video in relation to that blog, in this interview he talks about gloves and uniforms.

I am sorry you didn't watch the whole video but starting at 1:18 all he discusses are sights and sounds.

This video is not only about a skills trainer in fact it gets only a very small mention.

# 25 jello1717 @ 05/01/13 07:05 PM
Quote:
This is the video in relation to that blog, in this interview he talks about gloves and uniforms.

I am sorry you didn't watch the whole video but starting at 1:18 all he discusses are sights and sounds.

This video is not only about a skills trainer in fact it gets only a very small mention.
The skills trainer is the only new Info from that video which is why this thread is about the skills trainer.

# 26 KANE699 @ 05/01/13 07:07 PM
This thread is not strictly just about a 18 SECOND mention of a skills trainer.

The video is called presentation updates.

You can discuss either in this thread.

# 27 jello1717 @ 05/01/13 07:31 PM
Quote:

I had forgotten that OS has an ignore feature ( click on their name and select "ignore user"). I imagine there aren't that many of these "cleat" guys that'll need to be ignored and its already making these threads WAAAAAY less of a pain in the *** to read.

It's nice in a browser as it deletes their post and just has their name and says you can't see their post because they're ignored, but it's absolutely gorgeous in tapatalk as it removes everything and you have no indication whatsoever of their post.

# 28 XMrAngryEyesxX @ 05/01/13 10:11 PM
In the next gen consoles hopefully they will revolutionize with the ESPN brand. Seeing how Madden was able to recreate Jim Nantz and Phil Simms in the booth then I don't see any reason why EA could not bring in a life like gameday presentation into the game modes such as dynasty and play now. In dynasty, after you are done with the week's preparation, you begin you're college football saturday with the crew from gameday as they highlight key games in your conference and around the top 25. Some may find this idea would take up alot of time but I think it would give gamers that college football feel that we really want out of the franchise.

# 29 cparrish @ 05/01/13 10:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by XMrAngryEyesxX
In the next gen consoles hopefully they will revolutionize with the ESPN brand. Seeing how Madden was able to recreate Jim Nantz and Phil Simms in the booth then I don't see any reason why EA could not bring in a life like gameday presentation into the game modes such as dynasty and play now. In dynasty, after you are done with the week's preparation, you begin you're college football saturday with the crew from gameday as they highlight key games in your conference and around the top 25. Some may find this idea would take up alot of time but I think it would give gamers that college football feel that we really want out of the franchise.
I'm on the other end of the spectrum as I would rather see them spend more time working on the commentary itself that what the commentators look like in game.

# 30 CM Hooe @ 05/01/13 11:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
It really pisses me off in this video where Ben talks about uniforms and says the 2 things they added was base layers and.... GLOVES?!?!? Seriously wtf? How do you have your art department spend time on the gloves for when teams celebrate with their hands together, but ignore the fact that cleats are a major part of the new uniforms??? We can't even get Oregon with the yellow on the cleats but at least they have an O on the gloves. Pretty much sums up the NCAA Football team.
I would venture to guess that any equipment worn on the torso, arms, or head takes precedence over shoes in football games because those are far more visible. There are never any close-up shots of players' feet in football like there is in soccer, and the culture around shoes in basketball has no corollary in football. Comparatively speaking, the gloves close-up shot is almost iconic in college football nowadays.

Further, from a gameplay perspective, the game is played from a far-zoom perspective, so any art changes to shoes are less likely to be noticed compared to changes to helmets and jerseys. The resources of the art team are allocated where the most return is possible.

My point is that Tiburon doesn't just decide stuff willy-nilly. There is a reason for lack of art emphasis on shoes. You don't have to like it, but to say that Tiburon doesn't know what they are doing because they don't allow a plethora of shoe options ignores the realities of the situation of making a licensed football video game. Resources are limited, and return must be maximized; shoes simply don't yield high return aesthetically in a football context.

# 31 KANE699 @ 05/01/13 11:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
I would venture to guess that any equipment worn on the torso, arms, or head takes precedence over shoes in football games because those are far more visible. There are never any close-up shots of players' feet in football like there is in soccer, and the culture around shoes in basketball has no corollary in football. Comparatively speaking, the gloves close-up shot is almost iconic in college football nowadays.

Further, from a gameplay perspective, the game is played from a far-zoom perspective, so any art changes to shoes are less likely to be noticed compared to changes to helmets and jerseys. The resources of the art team are allocated where the most return is possible.

My point is that Tiburon doesn't just decide stuff willy-nilly. There is a reason for lack of art emphasis on shoes. You don't have to like it, but to say that Tiburon doesn't know what they are doing because they don't allow a plethora of shoe options ignores the realities of the situation of making a licensed football video game. Resources are limited, and return must be maximized; shoes simply don't yield high return aesthetically in a football context.
See here is the thing though, you aren't adding more options and needing more room to free up to add and create any new items, you are literally editing the old oudated equipment and turning them into current shoes with different artwork.

This is not all that time consuming, trust me I was there when they put in the Underarmour shoes and the like into Madden, it was not a big task.

# 32 sarlndr @ 05/02/13 03:29 AM
JerseySuave4 nailed it. Excellent post.

# 33 ncaafootball14markus @ 05/02/13 06:07 AM
Quote:
Let's get the uniforms sort of close and the gloves but lets really not pay attention to any other part of the uniform such as helmets or facemasks or shoes.

That's what I gathered from this.

Now I KNOW it is hard to keep up with college uniforms as it seems now everyone is making a change or addition every week each year.

That said, there are helmets and facemasks and shoes that have been missing for multiple years and new stuff coming out each year, it would be nice to see them somewhat catch up here.
Kane... Ur talking to deaf ears. They still havent even put in the revo 2bar facemask that practically every qb wears. Its ridiculous how madden has it but not ncaa

# 34 DorianDonP @ 05/02/13 07:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe

Thing is, they spend time on gloves, which you don't really see until replays and cutscenes. So why not spend time on cleats, when they are shown just as much as the gloves, in cutscenes and replays?

There might be a reason for it, but it doesn't mean it's a good reason to not update what's already there but just outdated.

# 35 Buckeyed @ 05/02/13 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick589
Prob an early build but the hurdle at 1:26...wooof. I mea does EA see the things we see or do they just turn a blind eye
Ouch! That looked really bad.

The only thing I was excited about in that video was the 2D background killing lag time.

# 36 bpac55 @ 05/02/13 10:19 AM
What is even more bothersome and frustrating about them adding new gloves and undershirts is that they added that stuff when no one really asked for it.

Cleats and facemasks have been a GameChanger topic now since it has been up and Ben even said he knows how much we complain about cleats. So they are hearing our wants/complaints and STILL ignoring the fact. This has been going on for over 4 years now. We ask for them and want them and they just don't listen. It makes no sense

Sure the gloves are cool but the ONLY time you will see the inside of the glove is during a repetitive cut scene after a big play. You see cleats and facemasks during gameplay and on every replay.

# 37 canesfins @ 05/02/13 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyed
Ouch! That looked really bad.

The only thing I was excited about in that video was the 2D background killing lag time.
Thank goodness. How slow ncaa and nhl 13 menus are is ridiculous.

# 38 SageInfinite @ 05/02/13 04:11 PM
Quote:
See here is the thing though, you aren't adding more options and needing more room to free up to add and create any new items, you are literally editing the old oudated equipment and turning them into current shoes with different artwork.

This is not all that time consuming, trust me I was there when they put in the Underarmour shoes and the like into Madden, it was not a big task.
This post says it all right here. Makes you really wonder what goes on down there at Tiburon.

# 39 Bolt957 @ 05/02/13 07:17 PM
Sooooo. . . .No new cleats for NCAA? Expected but disappointing.

# 40 SageInfinite @ 05/02/13 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
All I could do was shake my head on that part of Kane's post and hope stuff like that doesn't carry over to the new consoles. I know Ben stated in one of those videos that he doesn't work on the new console games at all, which has me hopeful that there is a completely different team, with a fresh perspective, working on those games. I honestly think many of these guys that have been working on EA football games for years, can't see the forest for trees at this point and the games need fresh people with "new eyes".

The fact that there is a faction within the EA football community passionate about all areas of equipment but seemingly no persons at Tiburon representative of that faction, in positions on the art team or where ever to effect it, is indicative of this entire gen. This entire gen we have been given games that while I truly believe the workers at Tiburon work hard on, don't come across like they poured their heart and soul into them. That is of course not a prerequisite for any job, that you be passionate about what you do but it reflects in the final product.
I truly hope so. Alot of the philosophies of this gen need to be gutted along with the animation engine. Just too many contradictions.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.