Home
NCAA Football 14 News Post

EA Sports has just posted NCAA Football 14 Playbook #4 on Dynasty Mode. This is part 1 of 3. The other 2 will feature Coach Skills and Power Recruiting.

Quote:
Here’s an example: if you know which players you want and would like to sign them with minimal fuss, you can invest in Insta-Commit. This higher-level skill takes a while to unlock, but it’s a must-have for anyone who spends a substantial amount of time recruiting players. This skill provides a 5% chance of instant commitment when you offer a scholarship, and goes up to 10% and 20% over the next two levels. Insta-Commit allows coaches to spend more resources on those guys who are playing hard-to-get.

Conversely, if you’re more interested in on-field bonuses, you may want to upgrade a skill like Clutch, which helps your team out in close games. This is a high-level skill that isn’t available right away, but it’s worth strong consideration once it unlocks. At its first level, Clutch will let your team start off the fourth quarter HOT if the score is within 14 points. At the next level your team stays HOT throughout the entire quarter, and when maxed out your players get VERY HOT in the final two minutes (and overtime) if the score differential is within a touchdown. The HOT and VERY HOT descriptors are dynamic ratings adjustments, so you’ll see your team perform well above their normal skills as long as they’re in those states.

Game: NCAA Football 14Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 54 - View All
NCAA Football 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 TDenverFan @ 05/29/13 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
Kudos to you for trying, but it's simply an agree to disagree situation. If someone can't immediately see why this will be fun, then truthfully nothing can be said that will sway their opinion. It'll just be posting back and forth at one another.
I get that. I can count on one hand the number of times someone read a post in a forum and said, "Well, I'm completely changing my opinion now." He just asked why some of us thought this will be fun.

# 42 BreaksoftheGame @ 05/29/13 06:52 PM
Create formations and a playbook? That would be a great coach skill to have.

# 43 The_Wise_One @ 05/29/13 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
not trying to be a d**k, completely serious... what sounds fun about it? I'm 100% seriously curious what sounds fun about it. To me it doesn't sound like much and the added part of having accelerators makes it sound gimmicky to me so i'm just wondering what someone who is excited about it is so excited for. And again, i'm not being a d**k and I won't attack you for your opinion & response but i'm just curious.
No thats a fair question. As I stated in an earlier thread, I want more to do in dynasty. More variable if you will. This will give me something to work for. I don't know how it will work or if it will be balanced or buggy but I do know that gaining coach XP will give me advantages in recruiting and on the field. Let me see it in action first but it seems like a nice change of pace. Adding an RPG element seems to make any game more enjoyable for me. Just my opinion.

# 44 Pokes404 @ 05/29/13 07:07 PM
All of this sounds like subtle changes or just outright rehashes. The studio update info could've been ripped directly from the playbook from last year. "Comes in at natural breaks ..." "Focuses on games that affect your team ..." etc. Yeah, you pretty much said that last year. Stats during the loading screen ... yeah, you did that on the PS2.

"Power Recruiting," changing phone call minutes into points. That's the big change? That's what you went and talked to West Virginia about? How about still being able to recruit committed prospects? They aren't off the board until they've signed, you know? There's just as much drama in who's going to stay committed and who's going to switch their commitment as there is in where the undecided kids are going to sign. Now that's something you've never done before and it would have opened the door for some kind of signing day watch party as you await to see if you were able to hold on to that kid who was starting to lean elsewhere. Or if you managed to steal that prized recruit away at the last minute from a conference foe.

They have a coaching carousel that still pales in comparison to College Hoops 2K8, yet we're getting power-ups for our coaches. OK. Can we hire/fire our own coordinators yet? Will we ever face the dilemma of losing our OC and having to either promote someone with less experience from within the current staff, or going out and getting someone with more experience but who runs a different playbook? It's not looking like it.

I know there are more blogs to come, but anyone that thinks there's going to be some kind of big change after 8-9 years of pretty much the same thing is fooling themselves. For those that love the game, you're going to get more of what you love with a few enhancements/adjustments thrown in. For those of us frustrated with the state of this game, hopefully there's a fresh start around the corner.

These new consoles are coming not a moment too soon. It's certainly no guarantee that the games will be any better, but they can't really be any worse and I'm so ready for something new/different. It's been a really disappointing console generation for these games (in my opinion of course).

# 45 TDenverFan @ 05/29/13 07:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
I gotcha. The gimmicky part to me was when it talked about a "clutch skill" and that having it will make your team "hot" at the start of a close game in the 4th qtr. Now we don't really know what "hot" actually means (is it ratings boost?) but I get worried at something like this only because we see when they've implemented things like Aggressive/Conservative gameplans that it sometimes is overdone. For example if you aggressively try to strip the ball, you see guys fumbling like crazy. So when they talk about how the "clutch skill" will give your team an onfield boost, I find that gimmicky. That's what I meant by that. But I respect your opinion.

Nothing they said is going to change my opinion nor was I looking for someone to change my opinion. I just wanted to know from someone who was genuinely excited by this feature, why and what made them so excited. It was more about just understanding the opposite perspective, not debating or looking for a sway in opinion.

fair enough and thanks for explaining

This has actually been very unclear, but the player Hot Streak has been in the game for a while. On XBox, press the right stick down to see how hot your players are. Grey is neutral, shades of blue mean they're doing bad (The darker the shade the worse they are) and orange and red mean the player is 'on fire.' They get these levels by doing well or struggling, and then cause your player to continue to play like that. So if a QB throws 2 picks in a row, he will be blue and his ratings take a hit. You either want to pull him or dosimeter safe, conservative passes to boost his confidence. If you try tricky passes with the QB, his accuracy will likely be off.

# 46 TarHeelPhenom @ 05/29/13 07:19 PM
I'm soooooooooooooo stoked that if I unlock the on the field accelerators man and I'm playing with UTSA against Bama...and I keep the game close like 14-0 going into the 4th quarter that my team will get HOT...I mean like on FIYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA....to the point where initially there will be SMOKE coming from the top of the helmets...and if I can just manage to tie the game with 2 minutes left....Imean just tie the score I'll then see FLAMES on top of my teams helmets man...and if we get to OT...my players will EXPLODE...I mean brain fragments everywhere from being so combustable!!! What Bart Scott say....

"Can't Wait"

Wait a minute...yes I can!!!!

# 47 Gosens6 @ 05/29/13 08:00 PM
As soon as I read about that clutch trait that boosts your players ratings because some sort of magic "boost" it cemented my decision not to buy this game for the third strait year. Wake me up when you start putting realism in your college football game, Tiburon.

# 48 The_Wise_One @ 05/29/13 08:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelPhenom
I'm soooooooooooooo stoked that if I unlock the on the field accelerators man and I'm playing with UTSA against Bama...and I keep the game close like 14-0 going into the 4th quarter that my team will get HOT...I mean like on FIYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA....to the point where initially there will be SMOKE coming from the top of the helmets...and if I can just manage to tie the game with 2 minutes left....Imean just tie the score I'll then see FLAMES on top of my teams helmets man...and if we get to OT...my players will EXPLODE...I mean brain fragments everywhere from being so combustable!!! What Bart Scott say....

"Can't Wait"

Wait a minute...yes I can!!!!
I couldn't help but laugh.

# 49 TDenverFan @ 05/29/13 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosens6
As soon as I read about that clutch trait that boosts your players ratings because some sort of magic "boost" it cemented my decision not to buy this game for the third strait year. Wake me up when you start putting realism in your college football game, Tiburon.
As I said earlier, this has been in the game for years.

# 50 The_Wise_One @ 05/29/13 08:16 PM
It's really a shame that we have been conditioned from years of disappointment to lack optimism for these new features. Most people on OS immediately think of ways the features will fail and I can't say that I blame them.

# 51 Gosens6 @ 05/29/13 08:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDenverFan
Yes, but definitely not in the same capacity. Before players were just hot and cold based on their performance. Now, if I buy these RPG "upgrades" , my players are all of a sudden going to get a huge ratings boost in the 4th quarter?

It's gimmicky. Now, to not be entirely cynical, the people that are excited for this, i'm happy for you. I wish I could be excited for these games like I used to be, but if in the year 2013 we're getting features for proper running and RPG coach elements, it's just not enough at this point.

# 52 jello1717 @ 05/29/13 08:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDenverFan
Not quite. In previous games your players had to earn it by playing well (usually scoring TDs or forcing TOs). Granted, since the user controlled guy gets hot quicker (which is stupid) this means that your user controlled defender gets hot just from making some tackles, but I digress. In the past your players had to earn it by doing well. Now, they'll get it for free just by having an experienced coach. One saving grace is that it's the highest level item in the game management tree (as it pretty much has to be the circled one below with the "4th quarter" hand gesture that players use all the time) so at least it'll only be available to high level coaches and it'll take a while for users to get.

# 53 BiggestKJ @ 05/29/13 08:27 PM
Coach skill is gimmicky, there's no way around it. And it does take away from the uniqueness of certain coaches. All one has to do is choose the same skill upgrades and BAM, Coach A is just like Coach Z from another dynasty/or team.

In real life, believe it or not EA, coaching developments are not influenced by modifiers or "boosts". Their development is influenced by the coaching tree they come from or the coaches they surround themselves with. A young defensive coordinator could stand to learn some skills from a smart, experienced coach. Implement an age factor. A coach in his 30's is likely to gather knowledge easier than a coach in his 50's who is set in his ways. Something like this should be influenced on a natural progression rather than controlled by the user. This is a glorious cop-out from EA and them trying to find a quick fix to coach progression.

As far as that clutch thing goes, something like that should be influenced by three things first:

1. Individual players leadership ratings
2. Experience rating
3. Home crowd factor.

Thankfully, it is a gimmick that may not need to be used or activated. I just wish they gave us natural coach progressions.

# 54 jello1717 @ 05/29/13 08:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggestKJ
Coach skill is gimmicky, there's no way around it. And it does take away from the uniqueness of certain coaches. All one has to do is choose the same skill upgrades and BAM, Coach A is just like Coach Z from another dynasty/or team.
I couldn't disagree with this more. The coach skills is the best way to ADD uniqueness to coaches that we've ever had in this game.

# 55 TDenverFan @ 05/29/13 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
Not quite. In previous games your players had to earn it by playing well (usually scoring TDs or forcing TOs). Granted, since the user controlled guy gets hot quicker (which is stupid) this means that your user controlled defender gets hot just from making some tackles, but I digress. In the past your players had to earn it by doing well. Now, they'll get it for free just by having an experienced coach. One saving grace is that it's the highest level item in the game management tree (as it pretty much has to be the circled one below with the "4th quarter" hand gesture that players use all the time) so at least it'll only be available to high level coaches and it'll take a while for users to get.
Right, this is new, I was just clarifying because some people seemed unaware hot streaks were even a feature (As was I until recently).

To be fair, there are some coaches/players known for orchestrating comebacks, though hopefully making everybody 'On Fire' doesn't make the team near impossible to stop.

# 56 Strategizer @ 05/29/13 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggestKJ

In real life, believe it or not EA, coaching developments are not influenced by modifiers or "boosts". Their development is influenced by the coaching tree they come from or the coaches they surround themselves with. A young defensive coordinator could stand to learn some skills from a smart, experienced coach. Implement an age factor. A coach in his 30's is likely to gather knowledge easier than a coach in his 50's who is set in his ways. Something like this should be influenced on a natural progression rather than controlled by the user. This is a glorious cop-out from EA and them trying to find a quick fix to coach progression.

As far as that clutch thing goes, something like that should be influenced by three things first:

1. Individual players leadership ratings
2. Experience rating
3. Home crowd factor.

Thankfully, it is a gimmick that may not need to be used or activated. I just wish they gave us natural coach progressions.
Well as HC, you get to select the skills your OC's and DC's have. And if you're successful, they will gain levels and eventually get jobs elsewhere. So you are kind of grooming them.

It would be an interesting thing for the future if, depending on the skills you give them, the coordinators would have a certain tendency. Say, if you have the OC focus on passing skills, they could be labelled "Pass Heavy" or some such. Then, when they get to be a HC, the skills given to their OC would also be the same or similar pass heavy skills. This could be one way to institute a coaching tree type progression.

I also don't agree that the coach skills are "gimmicky", whatever that means. I know this is almost a four letter word to some of you, but this is still a video game. Some real life things can be simulated by "gimmicks", and this is one area I am fine with being simulated with a video gamey (RPG) mechanic.

# 57 Strategizer @ 05/29/13 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
I couldn't disagree with this more. The coach skills is the best way to ADD uniqueness to coaches that we've ever had in this game.
And by my calculations, for HC, there are 54 skill points you can assign (18 skills x 3 points for each skill). So unless the level cap is up to 50, which I very much doubt, and assuming you only get one skill point per level, you will not come close to maxing out stats. Heck, if the cap is 25, you won't even be able to max out one tree. That leaves a ton of room for diversity in skill point allocation.

# 58 Cowboy008 @ 05/29/13 08:58 PM
After reading it I already know that I'm not going to use some of those perks.

# 59 Strategizer @ 05/29/13 09:03 PM
Actually I take it back. It looks like the max for HC is 54 and coordinators is 27. So you can max out the trees. Hopefully it takes a long, long time to get there.

# 60 Cowboy008 @ 05/29/13 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strategizer
Actually I take it back. It looks like the max for HC is 54 and coordinators is 27. So you can max out the trees. Hopefully it takes a long, long time to get there.
It depends on what setting you put it at.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.