Home
News Post

More news continues to leak about the XBox One and its stance towards classic gaming hallmarks, and the latest news isn't good. It appears Microsoft's new console will not support game rentals and whether used games will be allowed or not will depend on individual publishers. Publishers can lock out the used games market if they so desire.

Users will be allowed to transfer game licenses once to a friend, so long as you have been friends with said friend for more than 30 days on Xbox Live. Microsoft is looking at the possibility of loaned or rented game licenses, but those features won't be available at launch, and perhaps never.

Furthermore, XBox One users will be able to give up to 10 other family members access to their shared library, which presumably will mean people playing on the same console unless Microsoft wants a game-sharing mess on their hands. All titles will be available both digitally as well as on disc. Digitally downloaded titles will be attached to specific users and not consoles, meaning you could realistically download Halo at a friends house and play it via your username.

Of course, all items are subject to change in the future says Microsoft. You can read more about the Xbox One's policies on Polygon. Coincidentally enough, it appears EA's removal of Online Passes was nothing more than a publicity stunt after all.

What do you think? Are you worried about the Microsoft DRM push?

Member Comments
# 1 GlennN @ 06/07/13 02:12 PM
I gotta say, I have never been less enthused about a new console. I think I'll still be playing my 360 for awhile. I'll see how things shake out, but I see absolutely no reason to jump on the bandwagon.

# 2 jeremym480 @ 06/07/13 02:15 PM
Who wants to be in my XBox family?

You buy the games and I'll play them

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

# 3 SHAKYR @ 06/07/13 02:20 PM
This is not going to turn out good for XBOX ONE. EA influence has emerged.

# 4 soonermagic88 @ 06/07/13 02:30 PM
Wow, so im confused. Does Microsoft NOT want people to buy their new system? ....

# 5 cavs25 @ 06/07/13 02:42 PM
inserts brand new Halo 5

To play this game you must sacrificed two chickens. But in front of a mirror on a cloudy day.

# 6 NaturalSelected @ 06/07/13 02:45 PM
I must be on an island...but nothing I've heard here would change my current behavior. When is the last time I rented a game? Years.

Just think it's interesting that there's a lot of noise, because they probably know everyone's current behavior anyway.

# 7 chrisphil1724 @ 06/07/13 02:45 PM
The question is "Are you worried about the Microsoft DRM push?" No. Why? The DRM push is not coming from Microsoft it is coming from the publishers. In a week's time, we will be talking about how the new DRM works for BOTH Xbox One and PS4.

A preview? Sony patent United States Application US20130007892. Sony's games can be restricted using an RFID tracking chip in the discs, locking disc to the first console that uses it. So the question we could all be asking is, will Sony have a system for used games at all?

The times are changing people and it's not coming from Microsoft or Sony, it's the publishers.

# 8 ForeverVersatile @ 06/07/13 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalSelected
I must be on an island...but nothing I've heard here would change my current behavior. When is the last time I rented a game? Years.

Just think it's interesting that there's a lot of noise, because they probably know everyone's current behavior anyway.
Exactly, who the hell still rents games anymore? None of this will change my mind about buying an Xbox One.

# 9 jWILL253 @ 06/07/13 03:05 PM
Microsoft is completely dense. EA is destroying the gaming industry...

# 10 GlennN @ 06/07/13 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalSelected

I don't care about renting games - I have never done that before and don't plan to start. However, I buy used games all the time. That is a problem for me.

# 11 Bolt957 @ 06/07/13 03:22 PM
I wouldn't buy a Xbox One even if I was rich and could buy as many as I wanted. This is absurd. Choices have been narrowed down to upgraded PC & PS4.

# 12 onac22 @ 06/07/13 03:37 PM
BOOOOOO! I use Gamefly and love it. Goodbye xbox one you can suck it!

# 13 Gramps91 @ 06/07/13 04:01 PM
This stuff is ridiculous. Hope PS4 doesn't make these mistakes as well. Xbox One is for sure not on my list at the moment

# 14 WestTexasBest @ 06/07/13 04:21 PM
looks like I'm in the minority when it comes to renting games sometimes I just get a feeling for a playing a new or different game than what is in my current collection and instead of waiting 35min to 1 1/2 hr for a demo to D/L I walk down to my Redbox (I'm lucky I live right behind a grocery store and they have one outside) and purchase a game that I plan on buying and try it out rather than sit through a demo of a later levels or something overly polished to make a game look better

# 15 Polaris @ 06/07/13 05:01 PM
Bye M$! Nice knowing you! PlayStation and PC FOR LIFE!

# 16 basketball444 @ 06/07/13 05:16 PM
dumb dumb dumb. I'm a hardcore XBOX fan but this is a deal breaker. I usually rent games before I buy them. I'm not going to spend 60 dollars and then find out I don't like the game. Wow this is huge guess i'm getting a PS4 now.

# 17 eye guy @ 06/07/13 05:36 PM
I own a 360 and plan on keeping it for a while. Naughty Dog has me wanting to buy another ps3. But Microsoft have lost me as their consumer in regards to their next-gen console. There was an article over at IGN that was posted yesterday and that is where they lost me.

Not everyone will have an Internet connection. Not everyone plays online, every day. And I have a tv that works fine.

I don't know what Microsoft expects, but Sony (from what we've read, watched and heard...) will have so many more customers come release day.

# 18 smithdynasty @ 06/07/13 05:48 PM
Terrible move by Microsoft.... Hello PS4

# 19 capn_razzamataz @ 06/07/13 06:14 PM
A possible scenario here that gives MS and probably the publishers a bit of money. Instead of renting a game "normally", the Xbox gives you the option to buy a 5-day trial for $5 (or however much). Your system will download the game and as soon as it's playable the trial begins. After the 5 days are up, you have the option to pay off the rest of the full game cost or end the trial and have the game license taken away.

One of the benefits (from MS's point of view anyways) to requiring Internet connectivity.

# 20 BellSKA @ 06/07/13 06:27 PM
This kills me as a GameFly member. If you're not using GameFly and you play over 2 sports games a year during their seasons you're wasting money. This is a HUGE blow and not a deal breaker for me, but a definite deterrent.

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.