Home
NBA Live 14 News Post

At roughly the 2:12 mark in this video, you can see a quick glimpse of the NBA Live 14 BounceTek demo from E3 2013.

Game: NBA Live 14Reader Score: 4/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
NBA Live 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 quehouston @ 07/07/13 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_headedmonster
Well to be honest, on 2k if you boost the steal success to 60 and the steal success to 55 then the ball basically becomes "live". For steal attempts anyway. But for it to be completely "live" or independent, i think it would be a much larger undertaking.

Just thinking about all the measures i take to protect the ball when i actually play vs the number of contextual animations it would require to convey that just seems like a massive task. Not to mention that these animations have to be smooth, realistic, concise and evenly transition into other crossover and footwork animations.... yikes
I feel like there's a possibility that it could be built into the Ignite Engine.

I watched the Ignite trailers, and they are saying that players are aware of each other on the court. They brace themselves for interaction before it happens. So could this mean that players would automatically protect the ball, due to the engine?

# 62 2_headedmonster @ 07/07/13 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by quehouston
I feel like there's a possibility that it could be built into the Ignite Engine.

I watched the Ignite trailers, and they are saying that players are aware of each other on the court. They brace themselves for interaction before it happens. So could this mean that players would automatically protect the ball, due to the engine?
At this point, at least for me, its just a tagline tied to a prerendered video. I need to see it in live action to see what it actually does and if it can apply.

# 63 thedream2k13 @ 07/07/13 11:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerbuzz
First, if you think this "live ball" talk from EA will extend uninhibited to all of gameplay, you're fooling yourself. Secondly, isn't there a discussion about the horrors of "live ball" in a video game?
live ball worked in 2k12 its just people werent ready for it. If a bodypart hits the ball it should react thats why its called " LIVE". People just complained because hey were having to many turnovers.

# 64 Boilerbuzz @ 07/08/13 12:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUSS11
The game's on the screen during the interview.
Reread my post. There was another demo of the actual tech. Not what was in the video.

# 65 Boilerbuzz @ 07/08/13 12:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedream2k13
live ball worked in 2k12 its just people werent ready for it. If a bodypart hits the ball it should react thats why its called " LIVE". People just complained because hey were having to many turnovers.
That's exactly my point and I have no reason to believe we - as an audience - is anymore ready for it now. The problem is that Joe User wants to plow his way to the basket. He doesn't get tired and he feels no pain; so if he wants to just go to the hole, why should dribbling the ball off of a teammate's foot be an issue?

# 66 Boilerbuzz @ 07/08/13 12:22 AM
Quote:
Fifa has had live ball for years, and it is arguably the best sports game on the market, so it is possible. However, of course that is soccer. This is basketball.

I feel like if this is implemented correctly, this would be the ultimate feature of a basketball simulation. In real life, you cant just dribble all willy nilly and not expect consequences. If you are up against a great defender and you are showing them the ball all game, then of course they are gonna take it from you. You have to protect the ball. That brings up the point made by 2 Headed Monster a couple posts earlier. If they are gonna have live ball, then we have to have some kind of protect button to put bodies between the man and the ball. Plus this brings up the possibility of inadvertent loose balls, but doesnt that happen in 2k now, even with the coded ball?

I just feel bounceTek is gonna open up ample opportunities on the offensive side as well as the defensive side of the ball. I feel like taking care of the the ball is gonna be challenging, as it is in real life. If you watch an NBA game, you dont see players constantly doing crossovers all game, trying to beat their man. You have to pick your spots, which is a sign of simulation to me. The intangibility of the ball in 2k is extremely frustrating, especially when you time your steal perfectly.

But of course, some people love just being able to unload an insane amount of dribble moves without consequence. For those people, there will always be 2k (Unless they are doing something different, but I wouldn't bank on it). If Live actually gets this and the physics right, it could be the future of basketball games.
The fact that 2K12 opened up the "live ball" aspect should be a clue that it is an independent entity. They just pick moments to manipulate the ball to get back to the hand or to ignore collision with feet. Other than that, from what I've seen, NBA 2K can give everything promised in bounceTek. But the point is - do we REALLY want that? Well, sure we WANT it. But are really ready to play the game in a way that is required to respect such a feature. Frankly, I say "no". I don't see a user wanting to control THAT many aspects of dribbling, while at the same time, think about setting up shots and passes on a 8 button, 2-stick controller. That's just my opinion. The interface to a basketball game is quite muddy as it is.

The average space between a soccer player with the ball versus another player on EITHER side, is MUCH larger than in basketball. Soccer works because there is less chance of the ball inadvertently hitting someone else. It's not the same game and certainly has nowhere near the same issues seen in a basketball game. Again - 2k12 gave us glimpses of that.

I'm sure we both agree that if done well, it would be a nice addition to a basketball game. We can also agree that some sort of interface breakthrough would be needed to give users the control needed to manage it as well. Otherwise, there will be a LOT of kicked balls.

I'm VERY curious to see how far EA actually takes this IF it's all that they are seem to be implying that it is. Or is that just over-zealous fans reading too much into what they have said. Something that's very common out of some EA fans, that's for sure. It's also very common for EA to over-hype certain features as well too. I'm still waiting for real *game planning* in Madden...

# 67 TUSS11 @ 07/08/13 12:47 AM
Quote:
Reread my post. There was another demo of the actual tech. Not what was in the video.
What was in that demo?

# 68 quehouston @ 07/08/13 12:54 AM
Quote:
The fact that 2K12 opened up the "live ball" aspect should be a clue that it is an independent entity. They just pick moments to manipulate the ball to get back to the hand or to ignore collision with feet. Other than that, from what I've seen, NBA 2K can give everything promised in bounceTek. But the point is - do we REALLY want that? Well, sure we WANT it. But are really ready to play the game in a way that is required to respect such a feature. Frankly, I say "no". I don't see a user wanting to control THAT many aspects of dribbling, while at the same time, think about setting up shots and passes on a 8 button, 2-stick controller. That's just my opinion. The interface to a basketball game is quite muddy as it is.
And that was the problem with 2k's take on "live ball". They made the ball live at the wrong times. If you were trying to advance the ball up court, thats when the ball was live. But when you cut off a dribbler to cause a contact animation, the ball was glued to him. It should have been the other way around.

But as far as control, DO users want to control that much? Who knows? I wouldn't mind it personally, but I also a firm believer in sim play. And sim players make up a very small fraction of players.

This idea always brings me back to FIFA. In FIFA you can change your controls to manual, which gives you total control of the direction/power of your passes/shots. Could there be different level of control schemes in Live? Just brainstorming the possibilities.

But yeah, I agree with you. Overall, I dont think people are ready for that much responsibility as far as handling the ball, seeing how people are more prone to gripe and complain about the game being too hard, rather than trying to learn.

# 69 quehouston @ 07/08/13 01:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedream2k13
Can we just call 2k's attempt "Semi-Live ball"?

The only time the turnovers really happened in 2k was when players tried to advance the ball where there was no space. It should be common sense to not dribble right through someone, be it a defender or a teammate. But of course we are playing a videogame. Joe User (like Boiler used it) isn't thinking about things like space, he's just trying to plow to the basket. People complained about it instead of changing the way they played.

If Live succeeds at this, I think it will force people to change the way they play. You will have to consider things like spacing, when/where/how to make your move. Im in love with the idea, but like Boiler said, are "we" as an audience ready for it? And will EA be able to pull it off?

# 70 Boilerbuzz @ 07/08/13 01:47 AM
Quote:
What was in that demo?
The demo pretty much was a workstation that had a tool running that seemed to helped them setup how the animations would interact with the ball on certain keys. It wasn't the game engine nor was it playable.

# 71 2_headedmonster @ 07/08/13 01:50 PM
Im all for the ability to actively block or steal a ball when my hand forcefully comes into contact with it, but I really think the necessity for an overhaul of the way the ball interacts is being 'sold' more-so than is.

And I say that because I cant think of a solitary instance, professional or otherwise, of a person dribbling off a teammates foot. It is extremely rare to see a ball dribbled off a defenders foot because If not intentionally kicked, a defender will swipe it before its close to their feet, I can watch about 50 games without seeing a person dribble off their own foot. and I never have seen a ball knocked free by a random body part.

I think 2k12 tried and now EA may be trying to service a need that isn't there

# 72 quehouston @ 07/08/13 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_headedmonster
Im all for the ability to actively block or steal a ball when my hand forcefully comes into contact with it, but I really think the necessity for an overhaul of the way the ball interacts is being 'sold' more-so than is.

And I say that because I cant think of a solitary instance, professional or otherwise, of a person dribbling off a teammates foot. It is extremely rare to see a ball dribbled off a defenders foot because If not intentionally kicked, a defender will swipe it before its close to their feet, I can watch about 50 games without seeing a person dribble off their own foot. and I never have seen a ball knocked free by a random body part.

I think 2k12 tried and now EA may be trying to service a need that isn't there
We dont see these things happening because people dont play videogames the way we see basketball being played on TV. In real life, players are aware of each other on the court, they space themselves out. The ball handler isn't going to try to dribble the ball into a space where his teammate is. But in a videogame we aren't thinking about things like that, and THAT was/is the problem with the live ball idea.

I personally think that this is gonna be built into the Ignite Engine. Players are gonna be aware of each other. Your teammate will try to get out of your way if he sees you coming toward him with the ball. "Awareness" is what EA is trying to sell with the Ignite Engine.

And even if the Ignite Engine doesn't help out with the live ball concept, maybe people should just simply smarten up. Why put yourself in a situation where you can potentially dribble off your teammates foot to begin with?

# 73 Taylor_0330 @ 07/14/13 06:29 PM
2k is lacking ball & player recognition more than anything! it seems they don't know where there man is or where the ball is! even if your passing it to your teammate he moves out the way of the ball. we're not even going to start on rebounding, crossovers, speed, foot planting, & defense. So if NBA LIVE 14 can just take advantage of the basics of basketball first they can possibly be number 1. Agree or Disagree

# 74 RyDaddy215 @ 07/17/13 11:10 AM
Why's DeAndre Jordan 160 lbs?

# 75 Da_Czar @ 07/19/13 04:48 PM
Quote:
Can we just call 2k's attempt "Semi-Live ball"?

The only time the turnovers really happened in 2k was when players tried to advance the ball where there was no space. It should be common sense to not dribble right through someone, be it a defender or a teammate. But of course we are playing a videogame. Joe User (like Boiler used it) isn't thinking about things like space, he's just trying to plow to the basket. People complained about it instead of changing the way they played.

If Live succeeds at this, I think it will force people to change the way they play. You will have to consider things like spacing, when/where/how to make your move. Im in love with the idea, but like Boiler said, are "we" as an audience ready for it? And will EA be able to pull it off?
I will be highly interested to see if it changes the way people play... OR... if like 2k12... The dev's cave and change the way it's implemented. People had a difficult time in the other game when it was just in open court. Image that in a half court on every bump and contact.

I think, and time will tell, but I think they will go semi live as well being there may be certain instances where they turn it off.. (Just may be different instances than 2k)

IF they end up not having to do that(turn it off and make it semi live), and it works, it will be a major breakthrough in pushing the genre forward. Which benefits us all.

FYI were talking about this tonight on the radio show tonight, if you want to join in the convo and make your points there as well.

# 76 TUSS11 @ 07/19/13 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
I will be highly interested to see if it changes the way people play... OR... if like 2k12... The dev's cave and change the way it's implemented. People had a difficult time in the other game when it was just in open court. Image that in a half court on every bump and contact.

I think, and time will tell, but I think they will go semi live as well being there may be certain instances where they turn it off.. (Just may be different instances than 2k)

IF they end up not having to do that(turn it off and make it semi live), and it works, it will be a major breakthrough in pushing the genre forward. Which benefits us all.

FYI were talking about this tonight on the radio show tonight, if you want to join in the convo and make your points there as well.
If they decide to go with the semi-live ball, I hope they give us an option to make it 100% live. It would be similar to how FIFA has an option to turn handballs on/off.

# 77 Da_Czar @ 07/19/13 06:29 PM
Quote:
If they decide to go with the semi-live ball, I hope they give us an option to make it 100% live. It would be similar to how FIFA has an option to turn handballs on/off.
That would be dope! Then we could really see how far away we are... Or if we have made it all the way. I would be this is something they can tune and turn up or down from the server side of things.

# 78 Nathan_OS @ 07/25/13 12:15 PM
Not sure if I'm saying much then what's been said by you guys already..

But, I'll say this. Dribbling looks phenomenal.

Problem that I might have is that it seems like that's the only thing they're focusing on. That might be a problem.

# 79 GisherJohn24 @ 07/25/13 06:42 PM
I just want it to be fun.

# 80 Da_Czar @ 07/26/13 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GisherJohn24
I just want it to be fun.
If nothing nothing else I expect fun to be covered!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.