Home
EA Sports UFC News Post

EA Sports has posted a quick Q&A session with EA Sports UFC Creative Director, Brian Hayes. His past work includes Def Jam Vendetta, NBA Street Volume 3 and Fight Night Champion.

Listed below are some of the items of interest, but make sure you read the entire session, right here.

FYI: Some of you may receive an Authentication Required login box. Just hit the cancel button.

Capturing the realism.

Quote:
...It starts with our ability to scan each UFC fighter using our proprietary head capture system. There is no better way to capture the authentic likeness of an athlete. It uses 18 high definition cameras to capture the fighter’s head in full 360 degrees and that data is used directly in the creation of the fighters head in the game. We also do full body photo reference shoots and use that information in conjunction with a new Fighter Body customization tool that allows us to create a huge variety of different body types.

Recreating the UFC experience.

Quote:
...We aim to recreate the UFC PPV experience one hundred percent, from the music, to the graphics, to the announcers, everything. Watching a UFC event is very exciting and we want the game to be the same.

Game: EA Sports UFCReader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 7 - View All
EA Sports UFC Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Steve_OS @ 06/20/13 07:02 PM
This game is very high on my radar. A very impressive showing at E3, even w/o any hands-on.

# 2 redsrule @ 06/20/13 07:14 PM
I wonder if they are going to have the separate commentary team? It would be nice to have the choice of having Rogan/Goldberg or Anik/Florian commentate your fights.

# 3 aholbert32 @ 06/21/13 12:58 PM
I know that a lot of people on OS hated Fight Night Champion but I really liked it so I'm happy to see that this team is working on UFC. There's a list of things that are in FNC that I would love to see in UFC:

• Customizable gear
  • Customizable walkouts with the ability to add your own music
  • a ton of different arenas

# 4 ubernoob @ 06/21/13 01:07 PM
This game may literally be the game that pushes me into the next gen consoles.

None of the launch titles look too intriguing and I'm normally not a sports gamer (especially on consoles) but if EA pulls this off in a big way I'm there. It's their only next gen game as of this year that I have hope for.

# 5 The JareBear @ 06/22/13 02:38 PM
I feel the fight night team is very solid and put together some engaging titles. I think they are a relatively safe bet to deliver a realisitic virtual MMA experience

# 6 DaveDQ @ 06/24/13 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
I know that a lot of people on OS hated Fight Night Champion but I really liked it so I'm happy to see that this team is working on UFC. There's a list of things that are in FNC that I would love to see in UFC:

• Customizable gear
  • Customizable walkouts with the ability to add your own music
  • a ton of different arenas
I still enjoy playing FNC. My biggest issue with the game is stamina and how a many punches can be taken/thrown.

If you play FNC, especially online, with realtime 3 minute rounds, your boxer will tire appropriately. You really have to watch your punch output.

This is my concern with the same devs and the UFC game. I just want them to pull off a real good stamina system. Obviously there are many things they will have to nail down but this is important.

# 7 DaveDQ @ 06/25/13 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by st67
Talk is great - but I really just want to see some proof. Give us some gameplay videos and SHOW us that you're striving for a realistic experience. I've heard all the talk before - and it almost never means anything. Why can't they give us what really matters?

I also do think it's funny that the director of this project that plans to capture a realistic MMA experience is the guy who directed complete arcade sports games like Def Jam Vendetta and NBA Street; and that those are the games they list for him. Games that are on the exact opposite spectrum of realistic.

I think I'm being grumpy - it's just that they (EA Sports) talk so much and never actually back it up.
I think you have valid concerns. In just looking at a game like Fight Night, they did not want to implement some key boxing realities simply because it could potentially make the game "boring" to some. that is why you can throw 140 punches in a round and your arms not be falling off by round 4. And vice versa, it is why you could absorb those punches and not hit the ground very early. Another example is how devastating a knock down would look but you would see the guy get up at the 3 count.

This "only watch the race for the crashes" philosophy really hurt the Fight Night series, and hearing them tout that the dev team there is now behind this UFC game does make me somewhat concerned. But, FNC is a good game to play. It just has some core issues that could have been addressed. Maybe they keep this game balanced.

# 8 MattyEdgeworth @ 06/26/13 10:45 AM
The key thing that is neglected in all combat sports games, is FOOTWORK. You hear a lot about it in other sports games but why not Fight Night and UFC? It's equally, if not more important....

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.