Home
NHL 14 News Post

When I was demoing NHL 14 at E3 this year, I asked some of the producers how they felt about releasing a popular sports franchise on current-gen hardware when the next-gen hardware is right around the corner. I certainly didn't expect them to admit that they were annoyed to not be able to join the next-party, but it was surprising to hear them say how much fun they were having making NHL 14. They felt that it allowed them to focus completely on gameplay balance and game systems before moving onto the new hardware for next year.

Game: NHL 14Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 6 - View All
NHL 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 hf199 @ 06/21/13 03:51 PM
I strongly agree with the presentation re-tooling! The game becomes boring after awhile, seriously. You want some immersion in the game and how about having all the referees on the ice just like they did with Madden. Stick to your moniker, "If it's in the the game, it's in the game".

# 2 Money99 @ 06/21/13 04:02 PM
I'm still not sure why EA took out the 5-man celebration.
I'd love to get an explanation for that.

# 3 Luke466 @ 06/21/13 04:15 PM
"But this extra time should allow EA to really think about how goalies play in different ways and ride momentum during a game."

Oh.My. Goodness. No, please. Just...no

# 4 bwiggy33 @ 06/21/13 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke466
"But this extra time should allow EA to really think about how goalies play in different ways and ride momentum during a game."

Oh.My. Goodness. No, please. Just...no
Why no? Goaltending is an area where this game is absolutely horrific. Yes horrific. No goalie moves by warping across a crease or warping into crazy save animations. Every goalie in this game plays the exact same. If they can put in some signature saves or styles to get goalies playing differently and moving realistically that would be huge for this game.

So I guess I'd like to hear why you wouldn't like that in the game besides saying just no. Besides the AI playing the exact same all the time, goaltending is easily my biggest gripe. It actually goes hand in hand with the AI playing the exact same, because the goaltenders are the same way.

# 5 AllJuicedUp @ 06/21/13 07:01 PM
I think he was referring to the "momentum" part of the comment.

# 6 drewst18 @ 06/21/13 09:11 PM
Momentum is okay if implemented properly imo, it is a part of sports.

# 7 Hockeynut99 @ 06/21/13 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
I'm still not sure why EA took out the 5-man celebration.
I'd love to get an explanation for that.
Bingo and it is a huge part too!

# 8 Simple Mathematics @ 06/21/13 10:03 PM
It just doesn't sound like they put enough into this game. Yes, the new stuff they added were all needed and they will be cool. But I can't help but think, "That's it?"

# 9 crankybaker @ 06/21/13 11:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Mathematics
It just doesn't sound like they put enough into this game. Yes, the new stuff they added were all needed and they will be cool. But I can't help but think, "That's it?"
A point I have been making for a while is that every game in the NHL Franchise feels like the previous NHL game with a big patch to fix a few core problems and maybe a feature or too. It doesn't feel like a new game every year. However with HUT's micro transactions coming in over the last few years wouldn't the game be generating more money thus increasing the games budget every year and thus giving us the meagre fan a better game. I don't understand with extra money coming in how the same amount of improvements are occurring. I understand Rome wasn't built in a day and a game like this will never be perfect but I will like to see basic improvements like no Always goals in the game, better presentation and much better gm AI.fficeffice" />>>

# 10 13whitebread @ 06/22/13 03:42 AM
Bits and pieces with NHL series. That's what we have gotten the last few years with many neglected areas that are never adressed. After goal celabrations, no playoff beards, no skating with Lord Stanley just to name a few. Instead we get little increments. It plainly needs a retool maybe a year off would help. More than likely I will unfortunately be skipping this year. Eagerly waiting for next years installment.

# 11 crankybaker @ 06/22/13 05:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by derektown
Bits and pieces with NHL series. That's what we have gotten the last few years with many neglected areas that are never adressed. After goal celabrations, no playoff beards, no skating with Lord Stanley just to name a few. Instead we get little increments. It plainly needs a retool maybe a year off would help. More than likely I will unfortunately be skipping this year. Eagerly waiting for next years installment.
I would love it for Ea to do something like that. I am a whore but and I want my yearly NHL fix. So why now release a game with all the new rosters and a feature or to and charge say $30 or something with the promise or real changes in the next years installment. Would everyone hate that?

# 12 tabulaRasa @ 06/22/13 05:33 AM
Ok, I See alot of people asking Why aspects of thegames disappear from thegames and come back in NHLxx. The reason is that its get made by 2 different teams. So its biannually developed by to teams for easports. Its also obvious if you watch thegames . NHL 09 11 and 13 are made by the awful developers, moneygoals and unorganic, 11s wrapper , 13s shortside, L move , goalies etc. 08 10 12 by the good team organic , passing matters etc

# 13 Money99 @ 06/22/13 07:16 AM
Irresponsible speculation time:

When the 360 and PS3 came out, there were two teams working on the NHL title; EA Montral and EA Vancouver.
EA Vancouver had 2 years to get NHL07 ready for next-gen.

Will the same be true for NHL15?
Is there another team working on next-gen? Is that why Rammer and his team were upset that their NHL series wasn't involved in making the leap to next-gen?

And if it's really only 1 team developing both, are there enough resources to go around to give both current-gen and next-gen versions the attention they need and deserve?

# 14 13whitebread @ 06/23/13 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankybaker
I would love it for Ea to do something like that. I am a whore but and I want my yearly NHL fix. So why now release a game with all the new rosters and a feature or to and charge say $30 or something with the promise or real changes in the next years installment. Would everyone hate that?
Maybe this is what some of us need to take a bite at NHL 14. I am like simple mathmatices that's it?. I usually don't play online do to the lag. So with playing offline I like to follow the season but when playing the games there is virtually no presentation elements it almost seems like an incomplete game to me. So with adding another year plus new power of the systems I hope this will be a huge leap next year for the series and I will be waiting eagerly.

# 15 hf199 @ 06/24/13 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankybaker
A point I have been making for a while is that every game in the NHL Franchise feels like the previous NHL game with a big patch to fix a few core problems and maybe a feature or too. It doesn't feel like a new game every year. However with HUT's micro transactions coming in over the last few years wouldn't the game be generating more money thus increasing the games budget every year and thus giving us the meagre fan a better game. I don't understand with extra money coming in how the same amount of improvements are occurring. I understand Rome wasn't built in a day and a game like this will never be perfect but I will like to see basic improvements like no Always goals in the game, better presentation and much better gm AI.fficeffice" />>>
So true! Very few improvements over time. A bit of tinkering with skating and hitting for like 5 years or longer now! Still same commentary same presentation and same penalty calls (what calls?). I mean when are they seriously going to do something and stop milking this cow. Madden, FIFA, NCAA (finally) have come around but NHL still hovers and no major improvements to the game. It's boring with no satisfaction after the first week of playing the new release.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.