Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

Editors Note: This is a guest post from Josh Schulze. a longtime fan of NBA 2K and member of Operation Sports. You can find Josh on Twitter @TheFakeJoshS or you can connect with Josh via his blog.

NBA 2K13, in some ways, is the most superior sports simulation on the market. But when I start up a game with the hopes of enjoying a realistic basketball simulation, I’m inevitably grounded by a few shortcomings within the game which I believe need to be addressed in the future.

And while I can paint with a much wider brush to critique this game, I’ll narrow this down to some attributes for NBA 2K which will revolutionize the series.

Read More - NBA 2K14: Attribute Changes Needed

Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 NINJAK2 @ 06/25/13 03:54 PM
Great read with solid ideas.

# 2 knight13951 @ 06/25/13 04:01 PM
I agree with almost all of your points. These attributes can greatly improve NBA 2K14

# 3 ccoaxum @ 06/25/13 05:09 PM
great write up, glad i'm not the only person who felt that way about the game

# 4 kjjnesb @ 06/25/13 05:19 PM
The last one on Ego is long overdue. The moral feature has pretty much been broken since the day 2K introduced it. I'm shocked that they've let it go unchecked for this long..

# 5 jersez @ 06/25/13 05:23 PM
Nevermind, I say chris as the original poster and thought that was ld2k, oops. But I love the ideas of the ratings.

# 6 Sheen_O_Mack @ 06/25/13 05:25 PM
Excellent write up, I agree with everything you said

# 7 Matty Aqua @ 06/25/13 06:30 PM
Great stuff!

# 8 BreaksoftheGame @ 06/25/13 06:31 PM
Effort. This is a must. Players who compete every play of every game have a skill that is hard to teach. Manimal, Eduardo Nareja, Jeff Foster examples.....

Left and Right Hand skills. Or more off hand attributes to differentiate those who can handle and finish with either hand from those who cannot.

# 9 J_Posse @ 06/25/13 07:15 PM
I really like all of your ideas as well as BoG, above me. Hopefully, the guys over at Visual Concepts had similar ideas to help separate the various players in the league and their skillsets.

# 10 cream6 @ 06/25/13 07:19 PM
Players models look funny to me. That is why I stayed away from 2k. 13 was intruiging because the Nets were in Brooklyn. I watched a few games on YouTube and players never seem to space the court on offense. Player would gravitate to the PG for some reason. For the the first time in my life I will tryout 2K gaming with 14. I just hope the change the players models because they all look like buff bagwell. Lol

# 11 LamarrEscobar @ 06/25/13 07:49 PM
I agree! I would also like them to make association a bit more realistic when it comes to CPU minutes on other teams, And real life line ups. For example Jr Smith always starts including Manu, Crawford. Association seem to go by ratings and not real life player roles.

# 12 lone_wolf74 @ 06/25/13 08:13 PM
A couple things I'd like to see.

There is a difference to guys being hurt and out. I sim a lot of games to get to the playoffs and just to get through seasons. So a lot of time I just let the cpu adjust my rotations. The cpu is constantly subbing out my hurt guys when they can still play. It happens with the AI squads as well.

A real coaching carousel. I'd like to see a real fight for coaching changes or better strategy at least.

# 13 Slava Medvadenko @ 06/25/13 08:16 PM
These are great. I agree with all of them.

Some others I'd like to see: passing speed, passing in traffic, boxing out awareness, dunk in traffic(very few should have a high rating), and on-ball defensive strength(the ability to not get shoved away on drives and layups/dunks).

# 14 Phreezy P @ 06/26/13 01:05 AM
I agree with all the points

Composure should be a rating as well.

The NBA is a league where runs are pretty much the driving force of every game. Composure should be a rating so that some players don't get fazed by the momentum swings and are just plain cold-blooded, and some players do get fazed by it and start rushing.

For example, Players like Kevin Durant rarely go through stretches where he struggles from the momentum swings, and he doesn't really force the issue and makes shots consistently. But players like Manu Ginobili and Russell Westbrook sometimes force the issue when down and cause unforced turnovers and lower their teams efficiency. So obviously Durant would have a pretty high rating in the 90's, and Russell, Ginobili would have ratings in the 60's maybe.

# 15 tril @ 06/26/13 01:06 AM
good read
I thought that the Medium and Long Range Shots were already in the player attributes and off set by a defenders attribute. isnt this a players hot spot. this was an emphasis in I believe 2k11. and never checked to see if it was still in the game.

The interior defense slider..- yes its a bout time they branch this out some more.

One slider Id like to see added is body control when going up for a lay up in traffic. or at least more differentiation between players being able to take a hit and finish a layup in control etc.

# 16 sactown_13 @ 06/26/13 01:16 AM
CPU logic in terms of lineups/minutes/trades has to be overhauled. Im tired of seeing teams with two pissed off PG's trade for yet another PG. I have to turn off player roles so decent basketball players arent rated 12 points lower because they are upset.

# 17 gjneff @ 06/26/13 02:52 AM
There is a rating for perimeter defense already, not just the letter grade.

# 18 chapnis @ 06/26/13 05:28 AM
I agree with the Manu Ginobili point so much. Unforunately I don't see 2K doing too much to improve unless EA provide some real competition.

# 19 Robrarian @ 06/26/13 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapnis
I agree with the Manu Ginobili point so much. Unforunately I don't see 2K doing too much to improve unless EA provide some real competition.
Yeah, so do I. Never fails....every season he begins it as the 6th man. And every season about halfway through, he and his agent are demanding a trade, LOL.

Very good read with some interesting suggestions. I'm really intrigued by the communicator/defensive anchor dynamic.

# 20 jmaj315 @ 06/26/13 10:01 AM
I agree with most of what you have here. One thing i think would be cool for the Ego thing, is a player sit-down. If they're tired, tell them you're going to rest them. if they're playing poorly, let them know they need to step it up, etc.
This could also go with a mood system rather than than just the 0-100 morale scale. I think it would help *shrugs*

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.